Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kupala Day?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tntchacon View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tntchacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kupala Day?
    Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 15:19
Hello,

I was reading up on Ukrainian wedding traditions and found this on wikipedia about Ivan Kupala day:

"On the eve of the celebration of Ivan Kupala Day village folks would roam through the forests in search of paporot, an elusive and magical flower that brings great wealth. Unmarried women, wearing a Ukrainian wreath, would be the first to enter the forest. They are followed by young men. If the couple comes out with the young man wearing the girl's wreath, they are engaged to be married."

Did couples actually become engaged on this day? Does anyone know if this was a common occurrence? If so, how long did this tradition persist for? I tried to search for more information but couldn't find anything more. Any information you could give me would be helpful :)

Thank you.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 19:11
I've heard of similar customs in early modern England. On certain days of the year all the rules were turned on their head and young peasants were free to do what they wanted. The aim was to pair up potential marriage partners who would produce the next generation
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2012 at 19:53
tntchacon View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote tntchacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2012 at 22:49
Thanks!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2012 at 19:14
Ivan Kupala=John the Baptist: Jesus' mentor whose martyrdom sowed the seeds for Christianity
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2012 at 19:29
Kupala was also apparently the name of a pagan fertility god. Perhaps the early Christian missionaries incorporated prechristian mythology to appeal to the population?
 Post Reply Post Reply