Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origins of African Slaves in Americas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origins of African Slaves in Americas
    Posted: 05-Apr-2012 at 10:30

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2012 at 21:22
According to my teacher many of them were Igbo and Yoruba from Nigeria and Angola. Some were Muslims, but most were pagans. The Muslim slaves were more likely to escape as they were better educated and well-organised
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2012 at 20:12
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2012 at 19:17
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2012 at 12:05
 Igbo and Yoruba are  not in Angola...their Nigerians
Mbundu people Maybe?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2012 at 19:54
Originally posted by Fula

Igbo and Yoruba are  not in Angola...their Nigerians
Mbundu people Maybe?

Possibly. Can you tell me more about them?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2012 at 21:29
What tribe did the Angolans and Gambians belong to? Igbo?
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2012 at 10:38
Originally posted by Nick1986

What tribe did the Angolans and Gambians belong to? Igbo?

From my understanding:

From the Senegambia region these tribes were taken: Wolof, Mandinka, Balanta, Fula (subgroup of Fulani)

From the Southwestern Central Africa region (mostly Angola): Ndungo, Mbundu, Bambo (way more cant name them)

Sierra Leone: Temne, Mende, Kru

Gold Coast: Ewe, Ga, Fante, Ashante,

Nigeria: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Fulani

A little about these people from the top of my head and some sources:

Balanta people: Means "those who resist"

Oral tradition amongst the Balanta has it that they migrated westward from the area that is now Egypt, Sudan, and Ethiopia to escape drought and wars. Today, the Balanta are mostly found in the south and central regions of Guinea-Bissau.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanta_people

The presence of M1 in Balanta populations supports the earlier suggestion of their Sudanese origin.
http://mathildasanthropologyblog.wor...ian-admixture/

Mandinka people:

They are descendants of the Mali Empire and are Majority Muslim

Mbundu people:

As the largest ethnic group in Angola, they make up almost 40 percent of the country's population. Overwhelmingly the Ovimbundu follow Christianity, with roughly equal shares falling to the Catholic Church and to different Protestant denominations-Wiki

Mende people:

Mende people were the ones on the Amistad

Ashante people:

Ashante people had a very prominent and succesful West African Kingdom and posed the biggest threat to European colonization. They were well known for their Gold

Fulani people:

Fulani are the largest nomadic tribe in the world and they are muslim. They claim origin in East Africa and were very invovled with slave trading and jihads (sometimes being taken as slaves themselves). They were a very dominant tribe and established a Fulani Empire within West Africa.  They are also located in East Africa (Sudan)

Hausa people:

Hausa people are related to the Fulani people (mostly because the Fulani invaded their area) and they also claim origin in East Africa. They are also Muslim

Most Hausa remain in small villages, where they grow crops and raise livestock, including cattle. They speak the Hausa language, an Afro-Asiatic language of the Chadic group.

Between 500 CE and 700 CE Hausa people, who had been slowly moving west from Nubia and mixing in with the local Northern and Central Nigerian population, established a number of strong states in what is now Northern and Central Nigeria and Eastern Niger.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hausa_people

Igbo people:

Located in Nigeria...many of them speak English. Traditional Igbo political organization was based on a quasi-democratic republican system of government. In tight knit communities, this system guaranteed its citizens equality-Wiki
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2012 at 14:21
If it helps,there is exhibition in New York till 31th of may about Black History Trade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufM5Oig05u4
Last year film is above.
 Post Reply Post Reply