Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wooden and Cold Environment Islamic Architecture?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ConradWeiser View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wooden and Cold Environment Islamic Architecture?
    Posted: 02-Apr-2012 at 00:58
You guys here are usually pretty good at providing source imagery. I'm looking for examples of wooden Islamic architecture, as well as Islamic architecture in colder areas. I'd prefer traditional designs, not modern ones.
Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2012 at 08:03
However I don't believe there is an Islamic architecture but about Islamic buildings, like Mosques, most of buildings in the north of Iran are wooden, there are also some wooden mosques in this region, the most famous one is in the northeast of Iran.

This wooden mosque is unique not only in Iran but also in the world. Its framework is Double L or Two by Four construction. Its two 13 meter high minarets are joined to the roof in a way that there are no pillars inside the mosque.
Its walls are double layered, and the framework is located between the layers. The framework of the minarets and the roof as well as the roof and the walls are connected in a spidery web style. It refers to its construction method which is similar to weaving web by spiders so that the minarets are joined together in a way that their weights are transferred equally first to the roof and then to walls and from there to ground.
It is interesting that one can get access to the upper parts of the minaret by using ladder inside the minaret. More interesting is that a window has been installed at the spot the minaret and the roof are joined. The window acts like a ventilator helping to move hot and polluted air out of the mosque in summer and move in clean air through a special air duct installed on the roof. In this way, natural air conditioning takes place.
The walls of the mosque are a little slanted in order to make it easier to transfer weight from minaret to the ground.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2012 at 19:33

Domed Russian and Greek buildings like the Kremin bear a strong resemblence to Turkish architecture. The Slavs may well have copied them after capturing Muslim-held towns
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2012 at 21:34
Wow. That is perfect, Cyrus Shahmiri. I'm going to look into Northern Iran more. Thank you.

And yes, I've been considering looking at architecture from Russia and the old Soviet Republics. I don't want to go too deeply into it, though, since the Russian architectural style is recognizable to many.

I'm more interested in relatively unknown architecture, preferably Islamic influenced, in cooler, heavily forested regions. I've been looking at the Atlas and Caucausus for a start. My best find so far has been the Nakh style from the Caucausus. In addition to military uses, they built residential towers, a phenomena I'm not sure I've encountered outside modern skyscrapers. Most photographs depict their ruins, often with more modern village homes surrounding them, but I found this old photograph, which really intrigues me.

Edited by ConradWeiser - 02-Apr-2012 at 21:43
-William Wordsworth
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2012 at 19:16
Turkey's Esrefoglu Mosque was made of wood and covered in tiles and plaster to imitate stone:
http://www.turkishculture.org/architecture/mosques/seljuk-mosques/esrefoglu-mosque-855.htm
Leroy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Leroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2012 at 20:02
I happened to read about the Golden horde some time ago, anyway, the Tatars have been in and around Poland and Lithuania since about the 13th century and the Tatars are Muslim.

Tatar mosque, Lithuania:

Poland:

Very different from the beautiful mosques of North Africa and the Middle East. I wonder how orthodox they are in their beliefs, having been more or less cut of from the wider Islamic world.

Edited by Leroy - 03-Apr-2012 at 20:05
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 07:39
nice samples Big smile

@Cyrus Shahmiri:How old is it?

Some wooden mosques in Turkey. 

1-in Göcekli, Samsun

2-in Kastamonu

3-in İkizdere, Rize

3-in Beyşehir

Edited by Ollios - 04-Apr-2012 at 07:40
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 19:44
Originally posted by Leroy

I happened to read about the Golden horde some time ago, anyway, the Tatars have been in and around Poland and Lithuania since about the 13th century and the Tatars are Muslim.

Tatar mosque, Lithuania:

Poland:

Very different from the beautiful mosques of North Africa and the Middle East. I wonder how orthodox they are in their beliefs, having been more or less cut of from the wider Islamic world.

Unlike other Muslim communities who strive to set themselves apart, the Tatars often intermarry with non-Muslim Poles. This has become so commonplace the original Tatar language died out and they now speak Polish
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2012 at 01:30
You guys never fail me. Keep these coming if you can! I'm really close to finalizing on some conceptual designs that I have turning over my head right now. I was particularly blown away by those wall panels from Göcekli, Samsun. Thanks a ton, all of you!
-William Wordsworth
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2012 at 21:37
 Post Reply Post Reply