Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origin of 'cuckold'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origin of 'cuckold'
    Posted: 07-Apr-2012 at 04:09
Originally posted by medenaywe

Stereotypes are always on Don!Human nature is something else.I knew the man that had married a wife and died few years after.Next year real father of children entered the House of passed cuckold.

So, it's all about houses and material possessions, is that it? There is an easy way to fix that - no one should have anything, no inheritances, young people should rely only on themselves to get on with life, women have their kids and raise them by themselves, with no help of males, so no one can say anything. So, there.

And I know a person who spend all her life hearing that she was a bastard, and the family of her step-father never let her forget that, nor her the family of her mother. This is what human selfishness bring to - people living with broken hearts. The pain people cause to each other over nothing -  we better hope there is no god, otherwise there will be hell to pay. And human nature has nothing to do with anything - only human cruelness.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2012 at 06:58
It is always Human eye and course Don.There was a comedy show on TV in my youth:"Theater in Your House"!It has started with song and words "...I like Theater but not in my House....!LOLThere is no better
revenge than this one!For male unit it is equal with dead sentence:Male without ancestry is out of the game!No more comments from my site here!Thanks!Smile

Edited by medenaywe - 07-Apr-2012 at 06:59
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2012 at 13:02
Well, everyone is out of the game, because everyone dies, and one's children are their own persons, not their parents. There isn't real continuation in progeny, this is illusion - since I don't possess my child, nor is he anything like I am, and all kids are like that. People only lie to themselves that their kids have anything to do with themselves - while they should see them as their own persons, and raise them to be so, whoever their father or mother is, not to aim towards some imagined whatever. We are all condemned to death - with kids or not, and if something is left after us is the times we showed love and mercy to other - everything else is dust in the wind. This is my opinion anyway.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2012 at 13:22
I have nothing against adoption/raising other children.That's noble and human feature.Solving of internal marriage conflicts in this animal way i can not approve.Connections we create&brake if they do not work!
Who does gives right to woman for this?
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2012 at 13:41
You mean lying to the male and cheating? There is no right of anyone to do such a thing, male or female, it's injurious in many ways, and it solves nothing. In general people who have miserable married life but cannot divorce for some reason do it to feel better, but it solves nothing on the long run. Lying cannot bring anything good, no matter for what reason it's done. My mother was unhappy in her marriage and compensated in this way, and made everyone, herself included,  miserable through and through, with us her kids having to pay for that every single day. This is what always happens - the innocent suffer the most. So I know the problem of cheating through many POV, not only one.

I can't approve cheating either, no matter who is doing it - male or female - what makes me angry is that male cheating is overlooked, or bragged with, while women are called names for it - this is wrong, requirements  should be equal for both sides. Only because males don't get pregnant doesn't mean that they have the right to hurt their wives by having affairs - because it hurts to know that you are used as a domestic slave and wiped with, and then younger and prettier girls get to be loved and adored.

In any case, in an unhappy marriage, a divorce is the honest way to deal with, if the marriage is damaged beyond repair and has no future; cheating only prolongs the agony and hurts more, everyone involved.

Edited by Don Quixote - 07-Apr-2012 at 13:45
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2012 at 19:13
Originally posted by Don Quixote

How was cuckoldry a male crime? The cuckold was victimized by cheating wife, he wasn't doing anything wrong; now, a cheating husband was supposed to be blamed, but of course in most societies only female cheating is frowned upon, the male one is seen as something "cool", in a brilliant show of double standards. However a cheating husband wasn't called "cuckold", which was a shame, actually the shame was on a cheated husband, not no a cheating one.

Hence - it's was an honor to have someone else's wife, but a shame to have yours had... in a display of most subjective and unethical male selfishness, not no use a stringer word. After all, women cheat with males, not with ducks, so if one is cheating on his wife, all he deserve is to be ...cheated on in response.

Because a man who couldn't control his wife was seen as a failure during the early modern period. He had to be punished to ensure other men would beat their wives more regularly and prevent them from cheating. The Tudors saw women as inherently irrational children who had to be disciplined as well as loved
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2012 at 23:05
Seen this way, OKSmile... like the Muslim fundamentalists see women as something that has to be controlled and disciplined by males, no matter if those males are fathers, husbands, brothers or sons.

Edited by Don Quixote - 07-Apr-2012 at 23:30
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2012 at 19:49

Seen this way, OKSmile... like the Muslim fundamentalists see women as something that has to be controlled and disciplined by males, no matter if those males are fathers, husbands, brothers or sons.

The past was very different from today. Like modern-day Islamic societies and the conservative American bible belt, married women were expected to dress modestly by covering their heads and wearing long skirts. The husband was ruler and master of his household and had power over his wife, children and servants
CuckoldSlave View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote CuckoldSlave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2012 at 11:48
Getting back to the original questions by Sidney:

1. Etymology:  The allusion to the old-world cuckoo (cuckold is from Old French, so we know the specific species) is based on the notion that the deceived husband may be being duped into raising offspring who are not his own, just as cuckoos sometimes do.  What is misleading you is the idea that cuckoos lay their eggs in the nest of other species.  They do, but they also lay them in the nest of other cuckoos, because not all cuckoos employ this deceptive strategy (called "brood parasitism" today) all the time.  Remember too that at the time the concepts of species was very different from ours today.

2. Horns:  Old-world deer are polygamous animals.  The male collects a harem of female that he mates with.  When one male challenges another, the female all leave with the victor and the defeated wanders off to start again from scratch trying to find a mate and therefore perpetuate his genes.  (Contrary to myth, it is not all about horn size, although that plays a role.)  The lone stag was a powerful image of loss and defeat in the early modern era.  Cuckolds "growing horns" was an allusion to this - the suggestion that cuckolds were metamorphizing into lone stags.  (An interesting echo of Acteon, actually.) 

3. Coquette is an entirely different derivation: from the French "coquet," meaning "flirt," itself derived from "cock," as in a rooster.  The strutting of the rooster was what the allusion was to.

Although being cuckolded was considered far more shameful for males than females in the early modern period, it could be considered embarrassing either way.  Females who have been thus deceived by unfaithful partners are called "cuckquean" rather than "cuckolds."  Males who know their partners are unfaithful are are accepting of or resigned to it (for cuckolds were always deceived and unwilling) were called "wittols," (from the "witting" sense of "wit," as in knowing - he was a "witting cuckold," ie: a "wittol") and that was worse. It was a shameful failure to be a cuckold, but it was contemptible depravity to be a wittol.

(As you may guess from my screen name, this is a subject I know quite a bit about...) 
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2012 at 12:22
Very content approach you have about subject of this topic!Personal experiences you have or you are just a storyteller?It is not always "unfaithful in marriage" but dating with more than one male&female. One of them that first offer the ring as result of mutual coital activities is cuckoldBig smile.Girl takes the wealth
and security always for offspring he bears!Law of nature rules in human society from inception of World.
  Moral:We need a DNA map for all those results cause of future incest mating that produces
future possible Health problems=Red hood riding describes main one,person with J9(Vampire )diagnosis and their eventual mixtures with humans,known as Werewolves!
  In new movie productions they are also X-men.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2012 at 07:43

Originally posted by medenaywe

Big smileDoes baby sitter comes voluntary at your home Nick?Have been lot of male baby sitters without payment check in History?What does law says about it today?LOLHow did they know woman not carry other
child before She enter new home?Sure check!!!

What does it matter who is the father of whom, and with what the woman came into the new house or didn't? Children are children, they need love and they are not in blame as to who made them. If people think about that, instead of their own selfishness there would be less pain in the world.

In the Tudor period men were very concerned about preserving their bloodline. If another man fathered the children, the husband's bloodline would die out
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2012 at 08:59
There was a ritual for newly-married couples known as "swearing of the horns:" a promise to be faithful throughout the marriage
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2012 at 08:23
A variant of the "swearing of the horns" practised in London. Originally the participant had to kiss the breasts of a woman, but if none were present the antlers of a stag were used
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/england/greater-london/folklore/swearing-on-the-horns.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12