Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Race of Turkish people

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Race of Turkish people
    Posted: 21-Mar-2012 at 23:25
Is the race of Turkish people (from Turkey) white or Mongolian?

Also were the mamlukes, seljukes, and the ottomons all of the same race?

Edited by ah020387 - 21-Mar-2012 at 23:26
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2012 at 23:53
Can we use the word "ethnicity" instead of the word "race" - since races don't exist, the American Anthropological Assossiacian came to this conclusion in 1994:
"...In the United States both scholars and the general public have been conditioned to viewing human races as natural and separate divisions within the human species based on visible physical differences. With the vast expansion of scientific knowledge in this century, however, it has become clear that human populations are not unambiguous, clearly demarcated, biologically distinct groups. Evidence from the analysis of genetics (e.g., DNA) indicates that most physical variation, about 94%, lies within so-called racial groups. Conventional geographic "racial" groupings differ from one another only in about 6% of their genes. This means that there is greater variation within "racial" groups than between them. In neighboring populations there is much overlapping of genes and their phenotypic (physical) expressions. Throughout history whenever different groups have come into contact, they have interbred. The continued sharing of genetic materials has maintained all of humankind as a single species...." http://www.aaanet.org/stmts/racepp.htm

This aside, the Turks in Turkey have only like 13 % Asiatic genes, so this means that only a small group of Central Asian people came to Anatolia, and in time Turkefied everyone there. Therefore, the Central Asian contribution is small, and not in teh scale of massive emigration - rather, the Turks assimilated linguistically and culturally whoever was there. Here is a wiki artucle that can be used as a start of a research on the topic.

"...It is difficult to understand the complex cultural and demographic dynamics of the Turkic speaking groups that have shaped the Anatolian landscape for the last millennium.[103] During the Bronze Age the population of Anatolia expanded, reaching an estimated level of 12 million during the late Byzantine Empire period. Such a large pre-existing Anatolian population would have reduced the impact by the subsequent arrival of Turkic speaking groups from Seljuk Persia, whose ethno-linguistic roots could be traced back to the eastern coast of the Caspian Sea basin in Central Asia.[104][105] The Seljuk Turks were the main Turkic people who moved into Anatolia, starting from the Battle of Manzikert in 1071.[106][107] Around 1 million Turkic migrants settled in Anatolia during the 12th and 13th centuries.[108]

The question of to what extent a gene flow from Central Asia, via Persia, to Anatolia has contributed to the current gene pool of the Turkish people, and the role of the 11th century invasion by Seljuk Turks, has been the subject of several studies. A 2010 publication by Prof. Inci Togan and co-workers based on mitochondrial and Y-chromosome DNA estimated a 13% Central Asian genetic contribution to Anatolia.[109] A 2011 study reveals the impossibility of long-term, and continuing genetic contacts between Anatolia and Siberia, and confirms the presence of significant mitochondrial DNA and Y-chromosome divergence between this regions, with minimal admixture. The research confirms also the lack of mass migration with correlative archeological, historical, and linguistic data, and suggests that it was irregular punctuated migration events that engendered large-scale shifts in language and culture among Anatolia's diverse autochthonous inhabitants.[110]..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_people

Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 03:02
Previous theory was based on mongolian but hungarians and finns were also in this category

but researches shows that immigrant mongolians population was not enough to change race of all previous residents as Don Quixote said

Race categories are not well organised. There are different category systems and many sub-categories. But if we talk about a general  White (Caucasian ) race, Turks belong to white group.

Europaeid types (White-
Caucasian) 6-Turks.

If we look at the skin colour, Turks are that much white

Edited by Ollios - 22-Mar-2012 at 11:46
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 03:46
I try to be very careful with the name "Caucasian", because it has been much misused; but talking in general,  yes, the Turks are Caucasians. Now there are Turkic peoples, living in Central Asia, like the Uyghurs in China
File:Khotan-melikawat-chicas-d03.jpg
the Uzbeks,
http://www.eurasianet.org/sites/eurasianet.org/files/imagecache/gallery/-5196_0.jpg
 Kazaghs
http://www.newswire.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/amirmain.jpg
who have more or less Central Asian phenotypes - but they are not to be mixed with the Anatolian Turks, Turks in Turkey, or Turks on Balkan countries like Bulgaria. In Bulgaria /for which I can personally account/ one cannot make a difference between Bulgarian and Turk, they are both Mediterranean phenotypes; some Turks are with blue eyes, and in Rodopa Mountain area - even with blond hair.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 19:04
"Ethnicity" is a better term. Races do exist, but the term applies more generally to groups of vaguely similar ethnicity and culture: Whites, Blacks, Semites, Native Americans, Polynesians, Asians, and Mongoloids
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2012 at 02:29

HLA-DRB1 allele frequencies

HLA-A, - B, -DRB1 and DQ allele frequencies

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2012 at 01:57
to me they look more like Greeks and South Europeans rather than Mongols...
SultanHaluk View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote SultanHaluk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2012 at 19:25
@DonQuixote: I have seen somewhere another study which reckoned a 30% central Asian contribution to Anatolian peoples. This, in the scale of things is quite enormous, when you consider: Anatolia was fertile, civilised and well populated before the Turks arrived, the distances these people had travelled, overland, and the world population was much lower in the 12th century. (1m then was probably worth about 30m in today's money). The Ottomans made an industry of importing people from the Balkans and the Caucasus though, and this has probably weakened their predominance.

@OP: The question I am afraid is flawed. By Mongolian you must mean Mongoloid i.e East Asian. White itself is a poor ethnic category, implying as it does a western/northern European type. Turkey, being such a melting pot, contains caucasian types such as Armenians who can be quite dark and Persians  too, Balkan Slavs, Greeks, Syrians and Circassians and Kurds. So, no such homogenous race exists in Turkey. There may, in 10 or 20 generations time...
In the purest ethnological terms the population overall would have to be categorised majority caucasoid/minority mongoloid. Approx 87:13, if the data are correct, although I have seen reports it may be as much as 70:30. Negroid, Australoid, Capoid can all be considered so negligible as absent.

Honestly, people are so diverse in Turkey you can have a group of siblings, one looking Irish, one Japanese, one Iranian and one Greek. It's kinda crazy.

As to whether the Seljuks Mamluks and Ottomans were of the same race, I think it is fair to say that at some point they shared common ancestry. Whether that was in northern Iran, central Asian steppes or Altai mountains I could not guess. Possibly all three.

The Mamluks seem to have existed right through the Seljuk and Ottoman periods (which were in succession). I would say that the Mamluks and Ottomans, both contained or assimilated Caucasus peoples as well as Turks, and so were of a similar stock recipe. The Seljuks were probably more Persian/Turk as their homeland was in Persia. However, the Mamluks, being based in Egypt will certainly have had interesting interactions with Arabs, Berbers, Bedouins, and Negroids, over time creating a much divergent caste from the Anatolians I would guess.

The recipes, as far as I can tell go like this:

Seljuk: Oguz Turk + Persian (and eventually Anatolian natives)
Ottoman: Oguz Turk + Persian + caucasian (and eventually Europeans and Arabs)
Mamluk: Kipchak Turk + caucasian (and eventually Africans and Arabs)

Edited by SultanHaluk - 24-Dec-2012 at 19:32
Truth is a matter of perspective.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote SultanHaluk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2012 at 19:35
@Oxydracae. A large number probably do, yes, as per the data presented, representing the Anatolian native and assimilated peoples. But the minority (of more Turkic origin) can be radically different. I personally see some crossover between Turkish and Greek, but generally I think the difference is far greater.

Edited by SultanHaluk - 24-Dec-2012 at 19:36
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote SultanHaluk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2012 at 19:48
Here to give an idea, take a look at this photo of Turkish people picked randomly from the net. Note: this is taken in Belgium, not Turkey.

I have numbered a few of the characters and underneath list what I consider they could pass as or possibly are.

1. A Balkan type. Could be Greek, Albanian, Bulgarian or mixture of all.
2. Persian type, possibly Kurd. Could also pass for Afghan or Pakistani though...
3. What I call a Turkmen type (not necessarily from Turkmenistan though)
4. Syrian/Arab predominantly, though it's very likely she has some Turkic/Persian/Armenian micture too.
5. Could pass for a Bolivian mestiza. Judging by the Turkish flag she's wearing she is not though. Very much altaic Turkic type I would say. Note: Altaics are reckoned to be closest old-world relatives of native Americans, ethnologically and genetically.
6. Interesting. My money is on Georgian, Caucasian, or Laz mixture. Probably from Black Sea.
7. Is typically Iranoid to my mind, although a type also common in Turkmenistan.
8. Has that "stereotypical Turkish" look. Probably a mixture of all kinds of Balkans, Turks, Iranian going on there.
9. A type found very commonly in Turkey. I hesitate, could be Balkan or Black Sea Anatolian.
10. Somewhere between Greek and Persian (that's where Turkey is!)

I might also add that the lady next to number 4 reminds me somewhat of the Crimean Tatars I have met, but honestly she could be anything and quite possibly the mother of number 3.

Hopefully this gives an idea of how diverse Turkish people are, and that there is no definable Turkish race. What is funny is however accurate I may be, these people may have radically different ancestors in their gene pool and parents/siblings that look wildly different. In any case, I don't think you can seriously lump these people in with Spaniards, Italians and Greeks and call them "southern European types". That's just part of the story.

Also, I am guessing from the flags, that nearly all these people self-identify as "Turks", while many of them clearly have little or no Turkic lineage. This highlights the nonsense of demographic statistics of Turkey which list 80% Turkish, 20% Kurd. It's totally unrepresentative and ignores all the other ethnicities.

Edited by SultanHaluk - 24-Dec-2012 at 20:38
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2012 at 03:24
Originally posted by SultanHaluk

5. Could pass for a Bolivian mestiza. Judging by the Turkish flag she's wearing she is not though. Very much altaic Turkic type I would say. Note: Altaics are reckoned to be closest old-world relatives of native Americans, ethnologically and genetically.

Interesting fact.

As from other of your guessings, I think that most of these types existed in Anatolia before the Ottomans.

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote SultanHaluk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2012 at 06:30
Originally posted by Menumorut

As from other of your guessings, I think that most of these types existed in Anatolia before the Ottomans.

Yes, I guess so and even before the Seljuks. I believe Armenians, Kurds/Iranians, Anatolian Greeks, Laz, Galician Celts, Byzantine Romans and Assyrians were all knocking around before then.

Edited by SultanHaluk - 25-Dec-2012 at 06:40
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2013 at 23:52
"Ethnicity" is a better term. Races do exist, but the term applies more generally to groups of vaguely similar ethnicity and culture: Whites, Blacks, Semites, Native Americans, Polynesians, Asians, and Mongoloids Tongue
to me they look more like Greeks and South Europeans rather than Mongols...

Clap Clap Clap

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2013 at 23:58
Originally posted by tentionfree

"Ethnicity" is a better term. Races do exist, but the term applies more generally to groups of vaguely similar ethnicity and culture: Whites, Blacks, Semites, Native Americans, Polynesians, Asians, and Mongoloids
I know of the human race, what other races are there?

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 15-Jan-2013 at 23:59
Venkytalks View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Venkytalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2013 at 06:11
Originally posted by SultanHaluk

Here to give an idea, take a look at this photo of Turkish people picked randomly from the net. Note: this is taken in Belgium, not Turkey.

I have numbered a few of the characters and underneath list what I consider they could pass as or possibly are.

1. A Balkan type. Could be Greek, Albanian, Bulgarian or mixture of all.
2. Persian type, possibly Kurd. Could also pass for Afghan or Pakistani though...
3. What I call a Turkmen type (not necessarily from Turkmenistan though)
4. Syrian/Arab predominantly, though it's very likely she has some Turkic/Persian/Armenian micture too.
6. Interesting. My money is on Georgian, Caucasian, or Laz mixture. Probably from Black Sea.
7. Is typically Iranoid to my mind, although a type also common in Turkmenistan.
8. Has that "stereotypical Turkish" look. Probably a mixture of all kinds of Balkans, Turks, Iranian going on there.
9. A type found very commonly in Turkey. I hesitate, could be Balkan or Black Sea Anatolian.
10. Somewhere between Greek and Persian (that's where Turkey is!)

Brilliant. 

Pity that a common mixed gene pool is constantly resisted by people demanding "racial purity" - I wonder when we will leave our obsession with ethnicity behind.

Venky
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2013 at 11:09
Originally posted by Venkytalks

I wonder when we will leave our obsession with ethnicity behind.

Was it because of human egoism in Babylon? It is curse which came from God as legends say. I am sure that if there will be a world which was cleaned from all ethnic problems, there will be another problems like political polarization. It is hard to believe a totally peace future. Even we can fight for football.

Edited by Ollios - 16-Jan-2013 at 11:10
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2013 at 10:49
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

A "race" comprises several ethnicities with similar blood, physical appearance, or culture:

Blacks (Africa, southern India, Australia)
Whites (Mediterranean, Nordic, Slavic, Semitic, Turkish, Iranian, Pakistani)
Native Americans (Northern and Southern America)
Far Eastern (Chinese, Japanese, Southeast Asian)
Mongoloid (Mongols, Tatars, Siberians)
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2013 at 06:32
Originally posted by Nick1986

A "race" comprises several ethnicities with similar blood, physical appearance, or culture:

Those looking at it from a scientific point of view might beg to differ
DNA studies do not indicate that separate classifiable subspecies (races) exist within modern humans. While different genes for physical traits such as skin and hair color can be identified between individuals, no consistent patterns of genes across the human genome exist to distinguish one race from another. There also is no genetic basis for divisions of human ethnicity. People who have lived in the same geographic region for many generations may have some alleles in common, but no allele will be found in all members of one population and in no members of any other.
http://www.nowpublic.com/world/human-genome-project-announces-race-does-not-exist
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Venkytalks View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Venkytalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2013 at 12:19
Originally posted by Nick1986

Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

A race is a regional variant which can reproduce with other variants from other regions but has some genes which are different enough to produce a phenotypic difference which is visible in either size or colour or behaviour and causes reproductive exclusivity. So although they can reproduce, despite proximity most would chose not to. But some always would in overlapping regions producing intermediate forms.

Humans definitely have races. All are one species though. In our racist past even species was questioned.

Racism is bad. That doesn't mean there are no races.

There are races in birds especially. Also in Macaques and other primates. Many animals designated as species might just be races. Cats and dogs in the wild are other examples. Cross breeding causes problems if some behavioural traits present in a race are needed for survival in the wild

Edited by Venkytalks - 20-Jan-2013 at 12:23
Venky
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2013 at 14:47
I beg to differ. That races don't exist is a genetically proven fact; and that people love to falll in love and enthusiasticaly engage in all kinds of sex with people from different ethnicities is a fact old as the world.

There are some cultural and political restraints to such love stories, which doesn't mean nothing else but that traditional cultures are quite affected by different varieties of bias, which is a result not of natural divisions, but of human cultural ones.

Of course as long as there are people to defend this bias it will exist, most lamentably.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>