Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

magazines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: magazines
    Posted: 03-Mar-2012 at 15:26
Since this forum does what I like with history - covers all topics instead of just wars, perhaps you can help. The best magazine that comes into my home is Britain's History Today. Can anyone tell me an American equivalent to History Today? I search the stands and all I find are war magazines. There is much more to history than wars, I'm sure you will agree. Maybe someone knows of such a magazine?
War is a crime against humanity.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2012 at 16:06
What period interests you most Hazel? Some have more magazines and journals than others

Edited by Nick1986 - 03-Mar-2012 at 16:07
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2012 at 16:11
All periods interest me, Nick, but I latch onto prehistory fast because it is harder to find anything about that time. A natural situation, of course, but there it is. And I would love to see more American history - North America and South America. There has been a real shortage of South American History in my life - pre Spanish anyway.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2012 at 16:15
I'll see if i can find some relevant articles for you. If you're interested in prehistory, the best person to talk to would be Drusin
hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2012 at 16:22
I'll appreciate that. Also, I want to find an American History magazine that can talk about more than our infamous wars. There were other things happening and there was history here before 1492. History Today manages to do it. We should also.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2012 at 16:27
I'm not familiar with the mag. you refer to, but American Heritage magazine is the first that pops into mind.  You also should try a large bookstore that has a periodicals section similar to what Boarders had before they closed.

Smithsonian used to be a fairly good one, now it's more of a travelogue.  And it's focus is no longer on the US.
I'm not sure what era your most interested in, but Ancient American is very good. It's also available on line.
It's not exactly "mainstream", but it isn't "fringie" either.  It gives a more modern view based on recent discoveries and just plain common sense.

http://www.ancientamerican.com/index.html

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2012 at 16:45
I went looking for American Heritage at Barnes & Noble but didn't find it. I'll try again next trip and see if they do carry it. I grew weary of Smithsonian, plus their print is too fine. Saving paper, no doubt?

Speaking of "Ancient American", have you read "1491"?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2012 at 16:52
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2012 at 16:55
hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2012 at 16:57
Right. The shelves are full of American History magazines. But, when I start browsing, their main topic is the Civil War. :-(

Dinner time here. Must go. As they say in Cymru, "nos dawch". Good night and thank you all.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2012 at 17:16
[QUOTE=hazel]Right. The shelves are full of American History magazines. But, when I start browsing, their main topic is the Civil War. :-(

Dinner time here. Must go. As they say in Cymru, "nos dawch". Good night and thank you all.[/QUOTE]

Then your not browsing hard enough. The Weider history group, for example, is well known for it's quality publications that cover a extremely broad spectrum of historical topics...not merely the US Civil War.

The Smithsonian and the BBC's history publications are more excellent examples.

But... if you presume to avoid publications that speak of war because that is a personal anathema...then your out of luck. For every History related publication I have ever perused....recommended.... or required as reading, as an educator-analyst-consultant-speaker-writer, in uniform and out..... over 40 years..... at some point or another has featured articles dealing with the same on occasion.

The same was true as a student in higher academia.

War is history. Whether one likes it or approves or not.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 03-Mar-2012 at 17:35

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2012 at 18:13
This topic might be better off in the American history section. Would you like me to move it?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2012 at 19:25
Are you familiar with archaeology.org Hazel? I found some interesting online articles for you:
Crystal Skulls
Top 10 Discoveries of 2011
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2012 at 00:23

S. T. Friedman

hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2012 at 06:39
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

[QUOTE=hazel]Right. The shelves are full of American History magazines. But, when I start browsing, their main topic is the Civil War. :-(

Dinner time here. Must go. As they say in Cymru, "nos dawch". Good night and thank you all.

Then your not browsing hard enough. The Weider history group, for example, is well known for it's quality publications that cover a extremely broad spectrum of historical topics...not merely the US Civil War.

The Smithsonian and the BBC's history publications are more excellent examples.

But... if you presume to avoid publications that speak of war because that is a personal anathema...then your out of luck. For every History related publication I have ever perused....recommended.... or required as reading, as an educator-analyst-consultant-speaker-writer, in uniform and out..... over 40 years..... at some point or another has featured articles dealing with the same on occasion.

The same was true as a student in higher academia.

War is history. Whether one likes it or approves or not.

[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not trying to avoid war articles but to find magazines that publish more than war stories. A magazine like History Today which I get from Britain. That is my style of magazine.

Admittedly, I gave up some time ago but I'll try again.
hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2012 at 06:41
Originally posted by Nick1986

This topic might be better off in the American history section. Would you like me to move it?

That would be fine. Thank you.
hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2012 at 06:42
Originally posted by Nick1986

Are you familiar with archaeology.org Hazel? I found some interesting online articles for you:Crystal Skulls Top 10 Discoveries of 2011

I do get a very good archaeology magazine. I'm enjoying it very much. Thanks.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2012 at 15:38
Good luck in your effort and welcome to the forum...as I find anything of note... I will link them for your possible review. Recommend you also check the legates and advertisement subforum as well. As I often link sources there as well.

CV

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2012 at 19:43
Hazel, are you registered with JStor? They've got some excellent historical and archaeological journals there

Edited by Nick1986 - 04-Mar-2012 at 19:44
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2012 at 20:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>