Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Was the cult of Great Mother exchanged with Jesus?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 24>
Author
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was the cult of Great Mother exchanged with Jesus?
    Posted: 09-Feb-2012 at 23:16
There are no "random symbols",  all symbols are there for a reason.
The word "Easter" came from the word "Ester" which is equal to "Astarte" - the Babylonian Mother-Goddess. For millenia a fest was celebrated before harvest - and eggs and buns were made and brought to Astarte, so the harvest be fruitful. Those eggs and buns were in fact sacrifice - a sacrifice of what one wants to be multiplied - this is the very reason for every sacrifice. The word "ester" and "astarte" mean "woman", and this is only logical because women give birth, this was observed before humans realized that men also had a part in the story, so it's normal the Mother-Goddess to be the archetypal female, even her name to mean "woman". "Eve", another Mother-goddess, was called this, because "eve" means "life".

So, Easter, the Christian holiday that signifies the self-sacrifice of Christ, started as a pagan fest with sacrifice of eggs and buns that was supposed to secure plentiful harvest; and it's name is the name of the Mother-Goddess in one of her aspects. It's interesting that teh consept of sacrifice according to Joseph Campbell, became the prime symbol when the human society settled down and became agricultural; in the hunting-gathering societies representations of the animals the tribe wants to catch was supposed to attract the animals and make them let themselves caught. So, magic to attract those animals was the thinking at the time, not giving up from what you have to get more of it, which is what sacrifice is.

I have to admit that I know next to nothing about the Egyptian views on sacrificeEmbarrassed, so I have to read some info on it before I can participate here. So, give me couple of days to pull an act together.Geek.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2012 at 10:20
Let us start with,The Sacrifice of Jesus here,directly from theological scribbles:
http://theologicalscribbles.blogspot.com/2011/09/sacrifice-of-jesus.html
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2012 at 10:49
"Hebrews" approach about same question is here:
http://bible.cc/hebrews/13-15.htm 

Edited by medenaywe - 10-Feb-2012 at 10:51
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2012 at 11:10
In Demotic,ancestors of pharaoh,were Priests also,and the first regular ancestor on Throne of Egypt(son) is:From The First Her,From Whispers,The First one!Read more about Egyptian sacrifice rituals here:
http://www.philae.nu/philae/priesthood.html

Edited by medenaywe - 10-Feb-2012 at 11:29
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 01:00
Thanks for the links, bro, I'm going to read them during the weekend and hopefully will be able to pull up something useful for Sunday posting.
I'm also rummaging in Budge's "Osiris and the Egyptian Ressurection" vol. 1 which I have, and parts of which can be accessed here http://books.google.com/books?id=ArwV9KNeTIYC&pg=PA197&lpg=PA197&dq=egyptian+sacrifice+budge&source=bl&ots=c2fW7M5EAt&sig=rDCoT2RdG6n5I46TFXfb3CnjtgI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OgE2T4CdGcixiQLEgv3HCg&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=egyptian%20sacrifice%20budge&f=false
Also for prime sourcing I'm going to take a look at "Legends of The Egyptian Gods" by Budge, which can be found here  http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/leg/index.htm; and this link has a wealth of primary sources and historical research on the Egyptian religion and it's effects of Christianity  http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/index.htm  . This book in particular, "Egyptian Mythology and Egyptian Christianity" seems to be promising for info-scooping for the needs of our discussion here  http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/emec  ./index.htm  .

Edited by Don Quixote - 11-Feb-2012 at 01:10
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 10:23
"why would he be buried so?"
Someone had needed his place urgently,cause ancestors died or could be died if his burial was not fast.His
wife married Aye,the vizier!Great Vizier of Egypt.Smile
P.S.
Most of all future pharaohs&priests,had hidden residuals of Sin against Goddess under Earth's surface and coffin was first on the list as we can see now.

Edited by medenaywe - 11-Feb-2012 at 10:43
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 11:01
His position has been taken with remarriage of his Wife!Traces of Religious heretic Akhenaten had been buried in coffin with Tut's body inside.Smile
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 11:37
Because pharaohs before&after Him had Crook&Flail in opposite hands,all of them.It was against Tut's will,I
know that.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 13:58
Was Akhenaten only heretic in Ancient Egyptian culture?Look on it from different angle:Heretics are always popular&famous!Leadership have been always question of populism.It is still basic rule of commercials.LOL

Edited by medenaywe - 12-Feb-2012 at 12:04
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2012 at 03:52
James Din,Sid Vicious,Elvis The King,etc..they all were heretics,even the Jesus was once!Smile
Let us back to sacrifice here!Looking from the point of our mortal lives we are all victims,that was Egyptian
look on Human Life!Every death was somebodies sacrificial act with reason!Rich&Poor they all died at the end.Start point ignited here!Smile
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2012 at 17:54
My net connection is super-slow-and-unstable today and I can't get anything done!
Anyway, I'm not able to find any info on the said Egyptian view that everyone is a veictime, medenaywe, if you can throw a link or two on that it would be great. This is a very philosophical POV, and I can sure appreciate it - we are all victims of life, and death comes for everyone, so I want to read more on it.

Budge in hi "Osiris"http://books.google.com/books?id=ArwV9KNeTIYC&pg=PA197&lpg=PA197&dq=egyptian+sacrifice+budge&source=bl&ots=c2fW7M5EAt&sig=rDCoT2RdG6n5I46TFXfb3CnjtgI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OgE2T4CdGcixiQLEgv3HCg&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=egyptian%20sacrifice%20budge&f=false talks a lot about human sacrifice in Egypt - which was done as a sacrifice of an enemy during a war, and as funeral sacrifices on the death of a pharaoh. Budge supports this opinion with numerous prime sources, pictures of Egyptian artifacts, etc. which can be found in his book, I cannot copy any of them here.

If this is so, then the understanding of death as a sacrifice is only around the corner - a human dies as a sacrifice to the gods, his death is a sacrifice; but, even if he wasn't sacrificed, he would die anyway, because everyone dies sooner or later, and the life expectations for Egypt were, If I remember right, quite low, something like 25-30 for males, and 20-25 for females, dues to the very high mortality rate of women giving birth. Granted, some lucky persons live/d quite long, but in any case, human life is short. So, if a sacrificial death is a sacrifice, why not a death by "natural causes" be seen as sacrifice - the result is the same in  both cases.

Edited by Don Quixote - 12-Feb-2012 at 18:07
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 01:05
In my text prisoners of war built pharaohs tomb.I do not believe in human sacrifice also animal.They had offered their dead passed pets like offers in temples to be their companions in afterlife maybe!Look on it as
one of possibilities!
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 02:37
Well, the other possibility was the pictures Budge interprets as human sacrifice to be war pictures about people killing each other, or victors killing prisoners of war. But human sacrifice was a part of quite a few ancient cultures, Romans, Greeks, Thracians, Phoenicians, Celts, etc, so it wouldn't be out of place in ancient Egypt. This site says that the evidence of human sacrifice was mostly from the pre-Dynastic period, and in Naqada II, so if it happened it was in the very beginning of the developing of the Egyptian civilization:
"...Human sacrifice is not generally connected with ancient Egypt. There is little evidence of human sacrifice during most of the dynastic period of ancient Egypt... but there is some evidence that it may have been practiced in the Nile Valley during the 1st Dynasty and possibly also Predynastic Egypt...."
http://www.thekeep.org/~kunoichi/kunoichi/themestream/egypt_humansacrifice.html

Anyway, whatever the case is is, I haven't found much about animal sacrifice in Egypt, not in the way it was done and documented in the Leviticus anyway - there every occasion and little problem had it's animal to be sacrificed, it Greece it was pretty much the same thing. In Egypt I mostly read about feeding the statue of the whatever god it's taken care of, lots of fruit, flowers, flour cakes, etc.

Louise C View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Louise C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 02:38
Ancient societies generally were polytheistic, with a variety of male and female deities, but generally the chief most powerful deity was male.  In Egypt it's Ra, in Greece it's Zeus, etc.  Female deities were often associated with sexual love, with motherhood, with fertility etc.  I don't think there is any evidence for a universal cult of a great mother.  Female deities usually seem to have been subordinate to the chief male deity.

Louise
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 02:55
No, the female fertility cultes are documented from the Paleolothic, and there weren't any male deities there at this time. On Gobecli Tepe, the first human religious site, in 10,000 BC there aren't any male figures, only bull and the Mother-Goddess.The male gods started to come up later, when the human societies shifter to patriarchal organization,  before that point the genders were equal, like they are equal in all aboriginal cultures I know of; some of those cultures are matriarchal. Religions develop with the societies they develop in - and the fertility cults were the first to be developed; because humans observed that women give birth, hence they saw creation as a female function, and nature as a female.

Later when the societies became agricultural and richer, they became patriarchal, and the Mother-Goddess image was split to aspects - like Hera, Demeter, Hekate, Artemis in the Greek Olympic myth are aspects of the Mother-Goddess, each of them taking one of her roles. They became wives, and "subordinate" to the male deities because the societies they evolved in changed to patriarchal. But this doesn't mean that the Mother-Goddess vanished, not at all - she just split in many images in many cultures and religions.

Was there an "universal" cult to Mother-Goddess - probably not, since the human societies were less connected in say, 10,000 BC than now; but the oldest cults in any given point in any culture was a female fertility cult - Inanna, Ishtar, etc, up to the Virgin Mary, are Mother-Goddess cults. There is enough data and sources on this thread on that; since the thread is doing a serious academic research.

Edited by Don Quixote - 13-Feb-2012 at 03:08
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 04:17
Death sentences&penalties have been always popular for opponents in every religion&culture Don.From statistical point of view I believe Goddess cult was dominant there even if,Med sea Danayan's culture had woshiped Statue above as symbol.In Egypt old Danayan's cult was Earth herself as it looks today.Ptolemy's script speaks about two sets of Gods&Goddesses in scripts that were parallel worshiped in Egypt!
But all those are their children&images on Earth's surface,they are part of Her body as you can see  above.
Goddess was supreme one!

Edited by medenaywe - 13-Feb-2012 at 04:59
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 05:10
That did not prove all people of Ptolemy worship Statue!There were many of them that had worshiped old
Earth like Goddess and script wants to make a some kind of balance among them but they are all / also they are all Danayans."Others" also existed in Egypt!Main religions today have many of churches that worship the same God.
Louise C View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Louise C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 08:53
I think it is very unlikely that paleolithic societies had no male deities.  They may not have had images of them, but they probably existed.  Surviving hunter gatherer societies in modern times generally have male deities, like the Australian Aborigonies for instance, and it seems likely that our paleolithic ancestors would have had them. 

Hunter gatherer societies are usually fairly patriarchal, it is normally men who are the chiefs for instance, and I think probably ancient paleolithic societies were similar. 

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 09:08
As you can see above they had had male gods but as images&presentations of main Goddess which reminds me so much on Hindu religious cults where God has many presentations on Earth's surface.Who did start it first this way of presentation(they were images!)?Smile

Edited by medenaywe - 13-Feb-2012 at 09:09
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 09:44
Hunter-gathering societies weren't patriarchal:
"...Anthropological and historical evidence indicates that most prehistoric hunter-gatherer societies were generally relatively egalitarian, and that patriarchal social structures did not develop until many years after the end of the Pleistocene era, following social and technological innovations such as agriculture and domestication.[10][11]..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriarchy
And there is predominance of the female deities in the modern Aboriginal societies  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriarchy
If there is no representations of male deities, there was no worship of them - worship means representations.

Edited by Don Quixote - 13-Feb-2012 at 09:47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 24>