Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Was the cult of Great Mother exchanged with Jesus?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 24>
Author
Louise C View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Louise C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was the cult of Great Mother exchanged with Jesus?
    Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 10:27
Worship can exist without representations, for instance, in The Myth of Matriarchal Prehistory, Cynthia Eller writes:

The worship of relatively invisible male deities accompanied by more visible female deities is a pattern found frequently in ancient times.  The iconography of Mycenean Greek religion is overwhelmingly feminine, but written tablets reveal that a host of additional deities - significantly, male deities - were also worshipped.  Similarly, ancient Mesopotamian art is rife with depictions of Ishtar, who is comparatively rare in texts, while numerous male deities discussed in texts have no visual counterparts.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 12:39
It is very hard to make conclusion as i did it above about Egyptian concept of life if you do not have my "problems" from the beginning:How to solve use of sign "A"?It is main cryptographic problem and most presented object inside Demotic besides Goddess sign and /.Goddess sign is plural but also respect that Med sea Danayans had preserved from their old cult maybe.Sign "A" is horizontal slash,natural position for victim before sacrificial act and sounds the same also!LOL"A"=_!AAAAAAAAA...is loud or silent voice spoken all around the world at The End!Believe me i was inside theological&philosophical dilemmas more of my translation time.I even have learned writing from right to left cause of this reasons!As for those that had chosen it:Thumbs UpRight choice!You use English and You know undefined article usage:a.an,it is still undefined!
We are all victims and period!Big smileRead here about different Egyptian concepts of life:
http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/articles/pages/90/Overview-of-Philosophy.html

Edited by medenaywe - 13-Feb-2012 at 15:08
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 19:00
Originally posted by Louise C

Worship can exist without representations, for instance, in The Myth of Matriarchal Prehistory, Cynthia Eller writes:

The worship of relatively invisible male deities accompanied by more visible female deities is a pattern found frequently in ancient times.  The iconography of Mycenean Greek religion is overwhelmingly feminine, but written tablets reveal that a host of additional deities - significantly, male deities - were also worshipped.  Similarly, ancient Mesopotamian art is rife with depictions of Ishtar, who is comparatively rare in texts, while numerous male deities discussed in texts have no visual counterparts.

So, where is the proof of that? If there isn't an image, how can one know that it existed at all? Ishtar was depicted exactly because she was worshiped, not the other way around; besides she is far from "rare" in texts. Ishtar was the one who brought Dumuzi from the underworld, as Isis was the one who brought Osiris to life - they are life-givers, direct continuation of the main function of the mother Goddess - giving life.

Btw, the Greek mythology, even in the Olympic period,  was not male oriented - the supreme god is supposed to be Zeus, but in fact he is not - the supreme deities are the 3 Moiras - the Fates, they spun out, measured and cute the thread of life for everyone, and Zeus in all his glory couldn't do anything against them, and submits to them. And they are female; in fact, they are all aspects on the Great Mother, in her 2 aspects - life and death.

I'm not rooting for totally "matriarchal prehistory", btw; but the facts are that the fertility female deities were well documented all over the Mediterranean and Central Europe - and Gumbitas made a good job collecting all that data, no matter if one agrees with her interpretation or not.

While I respect your choice of a source, for me, /and this is my opinion/ Syntia Eller's book has no academic archeological value, and in fact is ideological. Here some quotes from writers who estimated her work:
"... The author does her best to portray this theory (and for her there is only one) as weird, unfounded, extremist, and its proponents as blithely unconcerned about historical veracity. She says that "fm's" want the theory to be true so badly that they will believe it despite all the evidence. Eller is "appalled by the sheer credulousness they demonstrated toward their very dubious version of what happened in Western prehistory." She implies that the evidence preponderates on the side of neolithic patriarchy, and even asserts that "the matriarchal myth fails completely on historical grounds." but as she gets into the meat of her argument, it turns out to be inconclusive, unproven and (by her own admission) unprovable. [Eller, 6, 81, 13-14]..."

The fact  is that the "matriarchal society" is a straw men tactic; the reality about the hunter-gatherer's cultures is that they were not matriarchal, not patriarchal, but egalitarian. Eller brands as "matriarchal" any society in which women has any power at all, which is not correct, because:
"...All this polarization and oversimplification avoids the real issue, which is not female domination in a reverse of historical female oppression, but the existence of egalitarian human societies: cultures that did not enforce a patriarchal double standard around sexuality, property, public office and space; that did not make females legal minors under the control of fathers, brothers, and husbands, without protection from physical and sexual abuse by same. We know of many societies that did not confine, seclude, veil, or bind female bodies, nor amputate or deform parts of those bodies. We know, as well, that there have been cultures that accorded women public leadership roles and a range of arts and professions, as well as freedom of movement, speech, and rights to make personal decisions. Many have embraced female personifications of the Divine, neither subordinating them to a masculine god, nor debarring masculine deities...."
http://www.suppressedhistories.net/articles/eller.html

So, waving the banner of "matriarchal myth" is a straw-man, nothing more. For anyone who read Gumbitas' "Civilization of the Goddess" it's clear that this is an academically loaded archeological book, with factological info one can use no matter what one's opinion of the conclusion is; which, IMHO, cannot be said for the "Myth of the Matriarchal Prehistory" which is not a historical research per se, but consists of interviews of historians by someone who is not a historian, nor an archeologist, but a professor in Women Studies.

Besides, of there is a myth here, this is the myth of the Universal Patriarchy, which seems to Eller's theory:
"...
There is nothing in the archaeological record that is at odds with an image of prehistoric life as nasty, brutish, short, and male-dominated. . . [although] it could have been blissful, peaceful, long, and matriarchal. Female and male grave goods of equivalent wealth do not prove that men were not dominant, nor does the absence of weapons of war among the material remains . . . mean that there was no warfare. As a leveling tactic, she throws everyone who has written positively on the subject into the same pot and admits: "I make no distinction between the tenured professor examining cuneiform tablets, the novelist spinning out imaginative fantasies about prehistoric Europe, and the New Age practitioner writing. . .about past lives as a priestess. . ." Conveniently, the voices of respected scholars are disregarded as easily as the most fanciful interpretations by New Age writers. ..."
http://www.belili.org/marija/eller_response.html

Patriarchy is not universal, there are plenty of aboriginal societies that are gender-equal, and there are quite a few matriarchal aboriginal societies, like:
"...
My second argument is even bolder: that there are in fact matriarchal societies among contemporary, scientifically observed and documented peoples. These are small societies living in horticulture, nevertheless, they are functional, real human societies with long histories. As stated previously, one example would be enough, but I present here three: the Nagovisi of Bougainvillea in the South Pacific, the Khasi of Meghalaya, India, and the Machinguenga of Peru (Johnson and Johnson 1988)...."
http://www.saunalahti.fi/penelope/Feminism/matriarchy.html

So, here it is - equally gendered societies existed and exist even now, so, what is the logic in saying that they never existed in the European prehistory, and hence they were a myth? Again, it is accepted that patriarchal societies started forming with the advent of the agriculture; and this book http://books.google.com/books?id=qcSsoJ0IXawC&pg=PA118#v=onepage&q&f=false  states that women became property on men exactly because of their high economic value. This doesn't mean that the societies before that point were "matriarchal" per se - they had gender equality because they were living on the edge of subsistance, there wasn't much surplus to go on - and the Native American societies before the advent of the Europeans were in the same category of gender equality. In fact, some European women who were abducted by Native Americans liked this so much, that after being saved from them, and returned to the patriarchal conditions of the "white women" they ran back to the Narive Americans, or plainly refused to be "saved" from them.

Here is a link to parts of anthropological textbook that deals with maitrilinearity /and patrilinearity, really, but this is besides the point/ and gives examples of such sociaties.
http://books.google.com/books?id=kF-_Pe5WX6UC&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&dq=matrilineal+aboriginal+societies&source=bl&ots=TJpswYtlOU&sig=Z81k2I9JW6ufPqi4mDI2iZh4H5k&hl=en&sa=X&ei=obw5T5SXN8bkiALL4O32BQ&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=matrilineal%20aboriginal%20societies&f=false

Anyway, I have no desire to derail this thread - it's about the Great-Mother/Female-Fertility-Goddess cult and it's possible effects on Christianity, not about did the former existed or not - so we are discussing the possibility that it existed; if you want to discuss the supposition that it didn't exist, it will be better if you open a thread on that.

Edited by Don Quixote - 13-Feb-2012 at 21:18
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 20:04
Originally posted by medenaywe

We are all victims and period!Big smileRead here about different Egyptian concepts of life:
http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/articles/pages/90/Overview-of-Philosophy.html

I told you before, I like the "we are all victims" view, it's both realistic and philosophically loadedSmile. I just wish to find more about it. I read the link you posted, and got interested in the notion of "Maat" - it has physical sida and in the same time is an abstraction; it's in the same time "justice, truth, balance, order, morality", and a female image, goddess, who had her temple etc. She reminds me a lot of the Gnostic Sophia, and it's probably not a coincidence that the Gnostic "philosophical pool" appeared in Egypt.
Here she is:
File:Maat.svg

"...The earliest surviving records indicating Maat is the norm for nature and society, in this world and the next, was recorded during the Old Kingdom, the earliest substantial surviving examples being found in the pyramid texts of Unas (ca. 2375 BCE and 2345 BCE) [2]Later, as a goddess in other traditions of the Egyptian pantheon, where most goddesses were paired with a male aspect, her masculine counterpart was Thoth and their attributes are the same. After the rise of Ra they were depicted together in the Solar Barque. ..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maat 

So, she is quite old, Maat, coming strait from the First Intermediate Period; and even when given a male counterpart, she didn't became "subdued" to him, rather, they were one and the same, had the same attributes, they were equal, in other words. Maat said the world in order from the chaos, regulated the stars, seasons, the actions of both humans and deities; and considering her abstract aspects / of being order, balance, ets/ she comes across in a way similar to the Logos it it's Greek meaning /which became 'the Word" in Christianity/. Now, I wrote on  the thread about Philo of Alexandria that Philo came up first with pouring Greek philosophy in Judaism, equalizing Logos with the Word of God; and whoever wrote the "Gospel of John" knew about that, because this is exactly how the said gospel opens with. And Philo lived in Egypt, in Alexandria, where the Hebrew Bible, the Septuaginta, /which Mark used to refer in his gospel to/ was translated in Greek. So, it's quite possible that Maat was an influence not only on the Gnostic Sofia, but on the Christian Word. Besides, Maat is present at the Ceremony For The Weighing Of The Heart - on which it is decided if a person will have eternal life with the gods or end up his soul being eaten by a beast /the arhetypal devil/satan, before Chrsitianity got to him - another Egyptian influence in Christianity/. So, Maat was in the beginning and she is in the end - she was the alpha and the omega, in a very real sense.

On the other hand, Maat had very physical presence, husband, temples in Karnak, Memphis, and Deir-el-Medina, which meant priests and rites for her. I have the sense that she is an aspect of the Mother-Goddess, and has the attributes of being such - she created the  world from chaos, she is keeping it in balance through order and justice, she is witnessing the end of the human life and the said human getting either eternal life, or the death of his soul. This reminds me if the Christian expression that "Jesus will be our advocate in the Judgement Day" - maybe this expression comes from Maat before Jesus was around to start with. Anyway, her presence in the ceremony that is equivalent to the Christian Judgement Day, and the beginning-and-the-end role she plays may be seen as ideas that Christianity got from the Egyptian Maat.

Edited by Don Quixote - 13-Feb-2012 at 20:11
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2012 at 23:29
I came upon an article on Cleopatra in the July 2011 issue of the National Geographic, it's about a archeology amateur, Kathleen  Martinez, having a theory that Cleopatra is buried in Taposiris Magna. Anyway, 2 things from the article got my attention:
1. Cleopatra was identifying herself with Isis
"...By Cleopatra's time a cult around the goddess Isis had been spreading across the Mediterranean for hundreds of years. To fortify her position, and like other queens before her, Cleopatra sought to link her identity with the great Isis (and Mark Antony's with Osiris), and to be venerated as a goddess. She had herself depicted in portraits and statues as the universal mother divinity...."
"... It was Cleopatra's intense identification with Isis, and her royal role as the manifestation of the great goddess of motherhood, fertility and magic, that ultimately led Kathleen Martinez to taposiris Magna..."

2. She was playing out the story of Isis and Osiris with herself and Anthony:
"..."What brought me to the conclusion that Taposiris Magna was a possible place for Cleopatra's hidden tomb was the idea that her death was a ritual act of deep religious significance carried out in a very strict, spiritualized ceremony," Martinez says. "Cleopatra negotiated with Octavian to allow her to bury Mark Antony in Egypt. She wanted to be buried with him because she wanted to reenact the legend of Isis and Osiris. The true meaning of the cult of Osiris is that it grants immortality. After their deaths, the gods would allow Cleopatra to live with Antony in another form of existence, so they would have eternal life together."..."
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/07/cleopatra/brown-text/2

Her identification with Isis also provided a connection with Rome, teh cult of Isis by this time being spread all over the Mediterranean, so identificatyion with Isis meant identification with the other aspects of the Mother Goddess, like Venus:
"...The manner in which Cleopatra attempted to identify herself with Isis was simple, if ostentatious.  An inscription dated to 51 BCE in modern Armant tells of the young queen: “the queen, the Lady of the Two Lands, the goddess who loves her father, rowed the Bull in the barge of Amon to Hermonthis.”  Egyptian tradition holds that only the reincarnation of Isis was permitted to row the scared bull-god Buchis to replace a deceased bull.  The next major link between the queen and the goddess came from an unlikely source,  Julius Caesar.  Upon returning to Rome from a sojourn in Alexandria, Caesar installed a golden bust of Cleopatra in the temple of Venus.  As Venus was the earthly representative of Isis, a chain of association between the three women had been established for Cleopatra to exploit. ..."
http://www.wfu.edu/history/StudentWork/students/mongelli-burns/goddess.html

So, it was as a manifestation of the Mother-Goddess that Cleopatra saw himself and most likely this was the way she was seen by her subjects and others; this was a move with both  political and spiritual reasons and repercussions. This would be useless if the image and the cult of Mother  Goddess wasn't extremely strong and potent in the time and place we are talking about.

Edited by Don Quixote - 14-Feb-2012 at 23:36
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2012 at 01:31
I try to communicate with Kathleen  Martinez,unsuccessfully of course,looking for signs in Demotic from the
"face of the place"!Those people are really busy and "uncatchable" for us mortal people.I  had wrote to Havaz and received decent answer of course.Main goal for this was:Signs in Demotic in Taporis Magna(TaPosiris?).

Edited by medenaywe - 15-Feb-2012 at 04:56
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2012 at 01:58
You got an answer from Zahi Hawass?Smile That's cool, I would think that he would be less approachable than her, after all she is not exactly a leading Egyptologist, or even a professional archeologist. Hawass takes lots of fire for some of his views, but I kinda like him. Maybe because he looks just like my grandfatherLOL
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/backissues/ZH-Seti-Smile-2_opt.jpg

Edited by Don Quixote - 15-Feb-2012 at 02:00
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2012 at 02:14
He is covered by mails,Don and i was lucky about it!I sent him Beginning of Text,even if it looks a little bit different now.I am not a lier,thats the main goal!i saw him in British(on picture is near Rosetta stone) after that:Was it My mail reason for it soon will find!SmileTherefore i will not post parts which content is not definitive anymore!Period!Let us work our Reverse Engineering here!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2012 at 02:25
Sorry,here is our Great Mother,project and Egyptian view of Life!Smile
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2012 at 03:23
The Egptians saw the soul of a person having 5 parts, and when one of then "ka", leaves the person., he/she dies. One of those souls, Ba, was presented as a bird with human head
File:Ba bird.svg
And of course, seeing this bird I'm thinking - the Bird-Goddess of the Paleolithic, the bird in the Tree in the Inanna's garden, the dove of the OT, the Holy Ghost of the NT - in other words, the bird that Mother-Goddess was and still is one of her aspects.

"...The word 'bau' (b3w), plural of the word ba, meant something similar to 'impressiveness', 'power', and 'reputation', particularly of a deity. When a deity intervened in human affairs, it was said that the 'Bau' of the deity were at work [Borghouts 1982]. In this regard, the ruler was regarded as a 'Ba' of a deity, or one deity was believed to be the 'Ba' of another...."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_concept_of_the_soul 

So, Ba was a very complex concept,soul and presence, and personality and power, a divine power on human level - which reminds me of the Christian concept that "god works through people's souls".

I'll follow up tomorrow, have to hit the sack now, otherwise I would be mixing my languages tomorrow at school. Good night, worldSleepy.

Edited by Don Quixote - 15-Feb-2012 at 03:24
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2012 at 03:31
Ka=feature(also character)!NaVNKa=You Offer from decency feature!At least one!Smile or Salute!Man without Ka was equal with Dead one!
Ba=service?Give me words with Ba in Origins!Wink

Edited by medenaywe - 15-Feb-2012 at 04:47
Louise C View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Louise C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2012 at 06:24
If the virgin Mary had been a substitute for some 'Great Goddess' cult, one would have expected to find evidence of this in early Christianity, but instead the cult of the Virgin doesn't seem to have become prominent until Christianity had been well established for hundreds of years. 
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2012 at 08:13
Respected Louise,all cults are built over signs&symbols!The First Her symbols are all around us!Image&other presentations were forbidden with commandments inside Book Of Death!On it came further idolatry hunts in Christianity also.You can find Her here as"+" or "-" meaning,who knows:

Someone had modified "I"=The First Her" in letter that could be first letter of pejorative word today!

Edited by medenaywe - 15-Feb-2012 at 08:23
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 02:14
Now we know five principles in Ancient Egyptian life:They are all devoted to Mother Goddess!
the Ren, the Ba, the Ka, the Sheut, and the Ib
Ren=Looked be(Praised be) Mother/'s!(Praised be Jesus Christ!)

Ba=Forbearance!

Ka=Character/Feature!

SheUT=Whispering(Praying!) mouth dreams!

IB=The First Her,Order!

The Sheut shows us that pray is always someones whisper!EVEN silent one!

Edited by medenaywe - 17-Feb-2012 at 05:41
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 02:42
Originally posted by Louise C

If the virgin Mary had been a substitute for some 'Great Goddess' cult, one would have expected to find evidence of this in early Christianity, but instead the cult of the Virgin doesn't seem to have become prominent until Christianity had been well established for hundreds of years. 

Christianity deified an ordinary woman with the features of any Mother-Goddess that had been around tor centuries, like "virgin birth" /mythical and unrealistic, hence it couldn't have been done for any rational reason/; why would that be neccessary if not to fulfill  the need to return the holistic Mother-Goddess in Christianity and hence to fulfill the Jungian need of cultural archetype of the mother?

There is plenty of info on the Virgin Mary being the Mother-Goddess, like those  http://www.testimony-magazine.org/back/jun2004/benson1.pdf
http://www.amazon.com/Virgin-Mary-Mother-Goddess-Times/dp/0977708349

This is the same process in which pagan god and goddesses were transformed in Christian saints - like Dionysus in the orthodox St. Trifon, and the Celtic Mother-goddess Brigit in the Catholic St. Brigit. One can come up with more examples, but those are telling enough.

Edited by Don Quixote - 16-Feb-2012 at 02:59
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 02:55
All religions prayers use Her sign today,hand made "I"=The First Her:Smile

This religion also:

Edited by medenaywe - 16-Feb-2012 at 07:59
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 03:04
Yes, this gesture doesn't make any rational sense otherwise. Btw, this gesture is so archetypal, that even my grandma who was the staunchest communist-and-militaristic-atheist and prided herself of never entering a church in her life made this gesture when my mother had an accident and was in the hospital. This gesture is burned in the back on out hypothalamus, and we do it no matter religious or not, and there is a reason for that - cultural archetyping, following a model that had been around for millenia, and adopted by many religions exactly because it's so part of us, no matter if we realize it or not.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 03:13
Do You Know sign "Mo"=Womb?Use Your right hand,put it with fingers parallel with low arm in front of you
as pharaohs on picture did it?That's Mo!SmilePharaohs had it into their hearths!\i\ if you just push first back slash up,last front slash down you receive sign Mo!
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 03:24
Which picture do you mean? 
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 03:26
Your swear to american flag than!Palm form of right hand!Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 24>