Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Africans in Antiquity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Africans in Antiquity
    Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 08:03

Ghana
A rich and powerful gold kingdom.

"He is the richest sovereign on Earth."
-
Ibn Hawkel, 10th century North African geographer on Ghana's king

Mali                                                                                                                                                      Its prosperity and morality gave the empire great international prestige.

"It's inhabitants are rich and live comfortably."
-
Mahmud Kati, famous medieval Syrian scholar

Songhay Empire
An Empire larger than Mali that was renowned for its scholarly culture and complex government.

"(Surpassed) all other Negroes in wit, civility, and industry."
-
Leo Africanuas, 16th Century Spanish Moor

Great Zimbabwe
A feudal kingdom that has obtained fame for its large stone structures

Bornu Empire
One of the longest lasting kingdoms of all time. Renowned and feared for its armored knights and cavalry. 9th Century CE to 1900.

Benin Empire (AD 13th-19th)
A highly organized forest kingdom that had much direct interaction with the first Portuguese merchants. They are renowned for their naturalistic art.

Ancient Nubia
One of the world's most powerful ancient kingdoms; it halted the Roman, Greek, Assyrian, and Persian conquerors- it even ruled over Egypt for a time. It built pyramids, palaces, and other great architectural feats. It also developed its own written language.

"For the Ethiopians are said to be the justest men and for that reason the gods leave their abode frequently to visit them."

-
Lactantius Placidus, a 6th century AD grammarian

"The Negroes are of all peoples those who most abhor injustice Complete and general safety one enjoys throughout the land (Mali Empire in West Africa)."

-
Ibn Battua, 14th century Arab scholar who traveled to China, India, East Africa, North Africa, and finally Mali.

Memnon-                                                                                                                                            The "King of the Ethiopians," who came to the aid of Priam at Troy, is shown as having an unusually noble character; In battle he slays Antilochus, then, in one of the more sympathetic moments of the epic, spares Antilochus's defenseless father. Memnon later became a hero in Greece, Egypt, Nubia, and Meroe (a powerful kingdom in Ethiopia and the Sudan). It’s even claimed that Alexander the Great wanted to visit the Kingdom of Meroe because it was believed to be the birthplace of Memnon. In Egypt's southern city of Thebes there were two colossi of Memnon, both built by Ethiopians. One of the two colossi attracted a large number of tourists; many believing that it sang at dawn. Callistratus, an Athenian statesman and orator, regarded the colossi as “a miracle that surpassed even the skill needed to build the masterpiece of Daedalus." At sunrise Egyptians in Memphis made sacrifices to the statue of the Ethiopian king.

“There is complete security in the country (Mali Empire). Neither traveler nor inhabitant in it has anything to fear from robbers or men of violence. They do not confiscate the property of any Arab man who dies in their country, even if it be uncounted wealth. On the contrary, they give it into the charge of some trustworthy person among the Arabs, until the rightful heir takes possession of it."

-Ibn Battua, 14th century Arab scholar who traveled to China, India, East Africa, North Africa, and finally Mali

We came from the beginning of the Nile were god Hapi dwells, at the foothills of the Mountains of the Moon" [Great Lakes Region - central Africa]

-Hunefer a scribe during the 19th Dynasty the author of the Papyrus of Hunefer

“The Ethiopians say that the Egyptians are one of their colonies which was brought into Egypt by Osiris. They even allege that this country was originally under water, but that the Nile, dragging much mud as it flowed from Ethiopia, had finally filled it in and made it a part of the continent. ... They add that from them, as from their authors and ancestors, the Egyptians get most of their laws. It is from them that the Egyptians have learned to honor kings as gods and bury them with such pomp; sculpture and writing were invented by the Ethiopians. The Ethiopians cite evidence that they are more ancient than the Egyptians, but it is useless to report that here.”

-Diodorus Siculus Greek Historian who flourished between 60 and 30 BC

Sphinx                                                                                                                                               Upon First View of the Egyptian Sphinx

“Just think that this race of black men, today our slave and the object of our scorn, is the very race to which we owe our arts, sciences, and even the use of speech! Just imagine, finally, that it is in the midst of peoples who call themselves the greatest friends of liberty and humanity that one has approved the most barbarous slavery and questioned whether black men have the same kind of intelligence as Whites!”

-Count Constantin de Volney a French philosopher, historian, orientalist, and politician.

“The Nubians are believed to be the first human race on earth, and most
of their customs and traditions were adopted by the ancient Egyptians”

-Diodorus Siculus Greek Historian who flourished between 60 and 30 BC

Edited by Fula - 20-Jan-2012 at 08:14
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 19:10
What about the famous Islamic university at Timbuktu?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
ConradWeiser View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 03:10
Nice collection of quotes. The Swahili didn't get much love though. And what would you define as antiquity for Africa? Songhai was at its height from the 1400s-1600s, not exactly "antique" in the Western sense. I presume you are pinpointing the beginning of the Atlantic sub-Saharran direct contact with European as the end of Africa's antiquity? If you are, it would make sense that such powerful states like Asante, Dahomey, and Kongo are absent, since their formation was largely a result of the shift in trade away from the Sahara to the Atlantic.
Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 16:17
Originally posted by ConradWeiser

Nice collection of quotes. The Swahili didn't get much love though. And what would you define as antiquity for Africa? Songhai was at its height from the 1400s-1600s, not exactly "antique" in the Western sense. I presume you are pinpointing the beginning of the Atlantic sub-Saharran direct contact with European as the end of Africa's antiquity? If you are, it would make sense that such powerful states like Asante, Dahomey, and Kongo are absent, since their formation was largely a result of the shift in trade away from the Sahara to the Atlantic.

I agree with everything you said...I just picked a title I didnt look into it at all (no time frame really). I am aware of other great nations within Africa but the information presented was geared toward quotes from other people about Africans. Maybe I should have picked another title.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2012 at 19:13
There were Roman emperors like Septimus Severus born in Africa. Although Severus was of Semitic descent, many of his troops were black
http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/septimius-severus-and-black-soldiers/3641.html
ThaKing View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ThaKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2012 at 09:43
Dear Fula,

Do you know from what date Europeans began to think of ancient Egyptians as whites?
I read somewhere that Champollion wrote that Egypt was a Black civilisation.
So when was this point of view changed, and why.

My speciality is Blacks in the European diaspora, I have found Black Nobles, Kings and Black European Emperors; and I wonder why there are not more researchers dedicated to this subject which is more connected with the present situation of Blacks, and with Black History, that does not stigmatize Blacks as slaves.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32580&PID=685522#685522

Edited by ThaKing - 16-Nov-2012 at 09:47
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2012 at 10:05
Why are the African kings depicted as white rather than black? Was there a lighter-skinned ruling caste, like in India?
ThaKing View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ThaKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2012 at 04:46
Originally posted by Nick1986

Why are the African kings depicted as white rather than black? Was there a lighter-skinned ruling caste, like in India?

The Egyptian pharaohs were depicted as classical Africans, with white facial features and as a combination of all African facial types. The ruling caste was symbolised by classical African looks.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2012 at 19:34
So you're saying they were depicted as white by foreigners, but in reality they were black?
ThaKing View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ThaKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2012 at 08:09

So you're saying they were depicted as white by foreigners, but in reality they were black?

No, they were depicted in many diferent ways. Foreigners tend to hide the classical African depictions and like to present classical Egypt as white. But this was not so from the beginning and I expect a date of around 1880. They even made fake whitened antiquities or stripped objects from their colour layers to present Egyptians as whites. Todat Egyptians and other North Africans upon arrival in the US are classified as whites. This makes the discussion with Americans difficult as their government compells them to see Egypians as whites.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2012 at 07:46
Didn't the skin tone of the Egyptians lighten over time due to invasion by whites like the Hyksos, Greeks and Romans? Egypt started out as black (like their Sudanese neighbors), but ended up with a similar skin tone to President Obama. With the arrival of Islam they became Arabised and gained an even lighter skin tone
ThaKing View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ThaKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2012 at 09:57

Didn't the skin tone of the Egyptians lighten over time due to invasion by whites like the Hyksos, Greeks and Romans? Egypt started out as black (like their Sudanese neighbors), but ended up with a similar skin tone to President Obama. With the arrival of Islam they became Arabised and gained an even lighter skin tone

All North Africans resemble each other, and the more south you travel the darker they become. All show signs of admixture with classical Africans. I do not feel Egyptians are more mixed with these mysterious Hyksos. There is also discussion whether Arab Moroccans are any different of Berbers. These conquering Arabs did not travel with their hareems, but just took the best looking Berber women to breed with. There is a lot of mythology going on here. North Africans do not strike me as white, and do not seem to share in the overall white supremacy European whites and US whites seem to bond over with. To be white is often a political choice.
 Post Reply Post Reply