Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander the Great...Not Great in Africa?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander the Great...Not Great in Africa?
    Posted: 19-Dec-2011 at 13:27
I've heard the reason why Alexander didnt go into the Interior of Africa was becuase these Nubian Candace Queens "scared" Shocked him off with their huge army. Anybody know any scholarly info on this? Ive tried to look but it only seems Afro-centrist make this claim...
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2011 at 18:12
Originally posted by Fula

I've heard the reason why Alexander didnt go into the Interior of Africa was becuase these Nubian Candace Queens "scared" Shocked him off with their huge army. Anybody know any scholarly info on this? Ive tried to look but it only seems Afro-centrist make this claim...

As far as I'm concerned Afro-centrists make a lot of vain claims for which they have no proof. Alexander 'scared' just doesn't seem to fit into his persona as both an adventurer and ambitious leader. As a matter of fact, Alexander was proclaimed as the son of Ammon in Siwah and it would be far-fetched for someone who just make a bold claim of divinity to then state or allow others to infer that he was in any way intimidated.

I guess we can still wonder if he did actually have a future plan to explore Nubia the same way he wanted to go to Arabia. It would make sense to ask why he didn't go further than upper Egypt, he must have wondered what lied beyond the nile. I think that he was too hard-pressed to go after Darius. He didn't wish to lose momentum after the victory at Issus.
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2011 at 19:04
Had Alexander not died young, he may well have gone on to conquer Africa after establishing himself as ruler of Asia
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2011 at 21:36
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

As far as I'm concerned Afro-centrists make a lot of vain claims for which they have no proof. Alexander 'scared' just doesn't seem to fit into his persona as both an adventurer and ambitious leader. As a matter of fact, Alexander was proclaimed as the son of Ammon in Siwah and it would be far-fetched for someone who just make a bold claim of divinity to then state or allow others to infer that he was in any way intimidated.

I guess we can still wonder if he did actually have a future plan to explore Nubia the same way he wanted to go to Arabia. It would make sense to ask why he didn't go further than upper Egypt, he must have wondered what lied beyond the nile. I think that he was too hard-pressed to go after Darius. He didn't wish to lose momentum after the victory at Issus.

Thanks your answer makes a lot of sense....I thought it was interesting that he didnt go any further south. At the same time apparently the Greeks spoke well of the Candace Queens of Nubia
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2011 at 22:06
The real question is: What would there have been in Africa south of Egypt at the time that Alexander would have wanted? It's not like he was on some exploratory jaunt. He had an Army that had to be clothed, fed, and given a share of the spoils. No spoils would equal an unruly Army. Also, how would the Greek public have viewed the conquest of some remote African kingdom, versus the conquest of kingdoms and empires that were more likely to threaten Greece i some future. Asia's riches were known, and much of Africa's that the Greeks would have wanted were likely available through Egypt. There may well have been great kingdoms in Africa, but Asia was definitely the land of better prospects in Alexander's time.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2011 at 22:23
Hi Fula,

The encounter with Candace of Meore is a part of the Alexander romance, and should not be considered as part of any true history. Just tall tales, that is all.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2011 at 00:47
What Alexander could do was only to capture about two third of the Persian empire, in fact he just invaded some Persian satrapies in Europe, Africa and Asia and couldn't even establish a solid empire.
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2011 at 07:02
Originally posted by okamido

Hi Fula,

The encounter with Candace of Meore is a part of the Alexander romance, and should not be considered as part of any true history. Just tall tales, that is all.

Thank you so much Okamido! This is actually what I was referring too. I'm aware that it is just legend/romance now....so thanks everyone!
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2011 at 07:03
Originally posted by lirelou

The real question is: What would there have been in Africa south of Egypt at the time that Alexander would have wanted? It's not like he was on some exploratory jaunt. He had an Army that had to be clothed, fed, and given a share of the spoils. No spoils would equal an unruly Army. Also, how would the Greek public have viewed the conquest of some remote African kingdom, versus the conquest of kingdoms and empires that were more likely to threaten Greece i some future. Asia's riches were known, and much of Africa's that the Greeks would have wanted were likely available through Egypt. There may well have been great kingdoms in Africa, but Asia was definitely the land of better prospects in Alexander's time.

Again ...makes alot of sense thanks
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2011 at 12:45

Understood but it still doesn't mean that he wouldn't have invaded once his campaign in Asia was over. Hell, if the mutiny after Gedrosia is proof of anything, it shows that Alexander didn't care about his unruly lot. He wanted to see what was beyond West India and would have if he had his way. How did the Greeks view his conquest of India, didn't stop him from doing what Alexander always did, venture.

Secondly you are terribly mistaken about Nubia. It was a land so rich in minerals, especially gold and silver, so much that the generally 'peaceful' Egyptians conquered their Nubian neighbours during the Middle Kingdom.
Timidi mater non flet
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2011 at 17:07
Whatever Nubia was up until 1640 BC, wasn't necessarily what it was in 300BC. Potosi in Upper Peru was the world's richest silver mine in the 17th Century, but by the 19th Century Potosi's mine had been largely worked out of silver, though tin extraction continued. Potosi continues to produce silver today, but hardly in the quantities of the 16th and 17th Centuries. Taxco, Mexico, has a similar history. So the fact that more than 1,300 years earlier Nubian mines were incredibly rich does not establish that such was the case in Alexander's time. It would seem that if they were, Alexander would have put it on his list, unless he could obtain all he needed through the Egyptians, or equally likely, the known Nubian mines of antiquity had played out. 

If you have concrete evidence to the contrary, it would be of interest.

Not sure how the term 'normally peaceful' applies to any empire, much less the Egyptians of before 1640 BC.
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2011 at 18:08

Whatever Nubia was up until 1640 BC, wasn't necessarily what it was in 300BC. Potosi in Upper Peru was the world's richest silver mine in the 17th Century, but by the 19th Century Potosi's mine had been largely worked out of silver, though tin extraction continued. Potosi continues to produce silver today, but hardly in the quantities of the 16th and 17th Centuries. Taxco, Mexico, has a similar history. So the fact that more than 1,300 years earlier Nubian mines were incredibly rich does not establish that such was the case in Alexander's time. It would seem that if they were, Alexander would have put it on his list, unless he could obtain all he needed through the Egyptians, or equally likely, the known Nubian mines of antiquity had played out. 

If you have concrete evidence to the contrary, it would be of interest.

Not sure how the term 'normally peaceful' applies to any empire, much less the Egyptians of before 1640 BC.

Unfortunately I can't prove that at the moment. There is very little mention of Nubian gold after the Egyptian conquest. I guess you might be right, it makes sense that after thousands of years that the deposits of gold ore would be somewhat depleted.

I'm just saying, it doesn't seem to me that Alexander was the kind of fellow who goes after nothing but war spoils and gold. We don't know if he had any future interest in conquering Nubia which he may or may have not shared with his companions. I'd like to think that he would have at least sent scouts to report to him on what the land was like.

Timidi mater non flet
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2011 at 16:06
AlexanderIII,Hegemonic ruler in ancient Danayan world,entered Egypt and rest of the world as liberator for his population conquered by Persians.That was main goal of Hegemony,that had been done among alliance members against Persian occupation of their territories.That means that Egypt was part of their agreement also.If it was,than Nubia felt Alexander as legal ancestor of the throne in Egypt.Danayans ruled Lower Egypt(For them Upper).Army he leaded was multicultural and full with mercenaries.Books say that leading positions were Danayan's.

Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2011 at 21:00
I do have a problem with people saying that he conquered the world. This obsession popular culture has for the Greeks promoted this lie. If anything it was Genghis Khan (Temujin) Who conquered the world. His Empire was ten times bigger...It made Alexander's look like child's play 
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2011 at 22:35

I do have a problem with people saying that he conquered the world. This obsession popular culture has for the Greeks promoted this lie. If anything it was Genghis Khan (Temujin) Who conquered the world. His Empire was ten times bigger...It made Alexander's look like child's play 

Those people usually speak of the known world, or to put it in perspective, the civilised world.
Timidi mater non flet
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 05:58
Fula,Egyptians had ruled the ancient Med sea world long time.They controlled three points:Egypt,Asia Minor
and Mediterranean coastal areas.But this does not means they did not enter continental Europe and Asia also.Most of the time,Persia and Egypt were in war.Control of those territories had changed according to written document from Egyptians to Persians and vice versa.This is my point of view of course.Big smile
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 07:13

Those people usually speak of the known world, or to put it in perspective, the civilised world.

I hear ya I do, But even based own those definitions... still no where near. Not taking anything away from the guy he did some incredible stuff. I guess it bothers me becuase we tend to only highlight certain history and ignore others. History is very important to the psyche of people and things that are exaggerated, falsified, or ignored has its affect on people. I teach at a predominantly African-American school and the history they know about Africa is sad. All they know is Dark Continent, No civiliations, Slavery, and Martin Luther King Jr...this in turn affects how they view of themselves and how they act. I see it all the time

Edited by Fula - 22-Dec-2011 at 07:16
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 11:40

I hear ya I do, But even based own those definitions... still no where near. Not taking anything away from the guy he did some incredible stuff. I guess it bothers me becuase we tend to only highlight certain history and ignore others. History is very important to the psyche of people and things that are exaggerated, falsified, or ignored has its affect on people. I teach at a predominantly African-American school and the history they know about Africa is sad. All they know is Dark Continent, No civiliations, Slavery, and Martin Luther King Jr...this in turn affects how they view of themselves and how they act. I see it all the time

I won't lie to you but beyond Nubia and Kush, I know of no Sub-Saharan civilisation that ever came to prominence. There must have been yet as you said the focus is not on African civilisations.

Edited by Baal Melqart - 22-Dec-2011 at 11:43
Timidi mater non flet
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 14:37

I won't lie to you but beyond Nubia and Kush, I know of no Sub-Saharan civilisation that ever came to prominence. There must have been yet as you said the focus is not on African civilisations.

Agreed. Nubia, Kush, Ta-Seti all the same thing just different names. Here are some Mali Empire, Songhai Empire, Ethiopian Empire (Aksum), Timbuktu (had universities and was the center of trade of not only Africa but much of the world), Great Zimbabwe etc
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 14:52
Perhaps Africa had no 'great civilizations' in the sense that they influenced peoples far beyond their borders.  Perhaps the greatest contribution to the world, to date, has been African-Americans, whose contributions to Western culture and civilization are obvious and undeniable in literature, music, the arts, and human rights, just to mention a few fields.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>