Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Timur's scholars?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Online Status: Offline
  Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timur's scholars?
    Posted: 28-Oct-2011 at 07:49
Some says, Amir Timur might be cruel in the battlefield but he made Semerkand center of science during his time. He took many scholars around his empire to Semerkand. 

My question is who are these scholars, from where they are, and what was their studies? Geek
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2011 at 08:13
Originally posted by erkut

Some says, Amir Timur might be cruel in the battlefield but he made Semerkand center of science during his time. He took many scholars around his empire to Semerkand. 

My question is who are these scholars, from where they are, and what was their studies? Geek

Presuming the standard viewpoint....they in general came from the lands he conquers and controlled viz his campaigns. Or possibly as a result of attempts to influence hs neutrality. One might speculate these would include the master craftsmen and artisans of the day to include rhetoricians-religious scholars-calligraphers-artists-mathematicians-geographers-historians etc..

We also know thru archival records he had diplomatic relations with the French and the Spanish. Consequently thru their onsight Ambassadors and entourages one might surmise he had similar scholars from the west at his disposal.

A fascinating, complex, controversial and highly successful military leader.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2012 at 21:24
Under the Soviets, Timur was dismissed as a bloodthirsty tyrant. It was only after independence that the truth came out: he was a decisive leader who united the tribes and founded an empire
The rehabilitation of Amir Timur
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2012 at 06:28
I know that he invited İbn Khaldun and Sheyh Bedrettin to Semarkand, but they refused to go...
Selahaddin View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Selahaddin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2012 at 17:19
Originally posted by erkut

< ="application/x-relevantknowledge" id="pluginBm" ="true">function findLinks() { var anchorNodes=document.getElementsByTagName('a'); var leng=anchorNodes.length; var plugin=document.getElementById('pluginBm'); for(var ix = 0;ix0) { for(var ix=0;ix
 Post Reply Post Reply