Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bodhidharma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Online Status: Offline
  Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bodhidharma
    Posted: 26-Oct-2011 at 23:09
Much like Christianity with Paul, Buddhism owes a great deal of success to the travels of the Daruma/ Bodhidharma, who took Buddhism to China, and some say Japan as well.

Even though Buddhism had been successful before Bodhidharma's travels, it had been waning in India for a very long time.

To what extant were his travels vital in the continued growth and expansion of that philosophy, and would it have eventually died out without him?

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2011 at 19:22

Bodhidharma was a strange old man who had a beard when monks were expected to be clean-shaven. He seems to have been very gruff and eccentric, cutting off his own eyelids so he wouldn't fall asleep during meditation and staring at a wall for seven years until his legs dropped off.  He even forced his apprentice to cut off his own arm before letting him into the temple
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2011 at 19:09

In Japan representations of Bodhidharma known as Daruma are a popular childrens toy. You can push him over, but he always rights himself
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2011 at 09:02
I read of a Persian connection to Bodhidharma, but that might simply have had something to do with him having blue eyes maybe. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2011 at 13:54
He seems to have been an aristocrat - a prince of the Palava Dynasty, living in 5th-6th cent. AD, and is portrayed as a barbarian in the Chinese Buddhist art. Supposedly he started the physical training of the Shaolin monks, but this was probably a legend that started in 17 century AD.

Edited by Don Quixote - 29-Oct-2011 at 20:28
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2011 at 19:16
It's possible. The Indians developed a new martial art from the Greek pankration which combined kickboxing with wrestling
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2011 at 21:11
Like Buddha, it is believed Bodhidharma was once a prince. His strict discipline and willingness to inflict pain on his disciples suggests a warrior-caste background, as does his use of martial arts
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 19:19
Bodhidarma was known for his love of koans: deliberately unanswerable questions. If a monk failed to provide a suitable answer, he was beaten. Here's an example:

Someone put a goose egg inside a bottle, the egg hatched and he fed the baby goose until it grew larger than the bottle’s neck. How can you release the goose from the bottle without harming the goose or breaking the bottle?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2011 at 19:11
Here's the answer: the "goose" is actually the monk himself. The "bottle" is the impossible question constraining his mind. Only by casting aside the restraints on his imagination (years of social conditioning) will he be able to begin the path to enlightenment:
Link
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2011 at 19:01
Bodhidharma wasn't afraid to question authority. He once told the king that his patronage of Buddhism brought no merit as all the donations were made with selfish thoughts in mind
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2011 at 22:45
In re:  "He once told the king that his patronage of Buddhism brought no merit as all the donations were made with selfish thoughts in mind"

I've heard three versions of that tale, one involving the Korean King, one involving the Vietnamese King, and one involving the Emperor of China. The last is likely to be the more correct. In any event, all versions agree in that the Emperor specifically asked Bodhidarma how much 'credit' had he accrued for the next life, given the monasteries he had built in this. Ergo Bodhidarma was not challenging authority. He was giving a honest answer to a question, which was none. Now, had the Emperor done such with no thoughts of a reward, the essence of Zen, then in all likelihood his acts would have been meritorious, though I suspect Bodhidarma would not have stated such.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2011 at 19:12
The Emperor was initially offended and sent Bodhidharma away. However, he later regretted his actions and sent a messenger requesting the old monk's return. Bodhidharma refused.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2011 at 19:22
When asked questions by their students, Zen masters typically gave bizarre answers. Here's an example:

"What is the Buddha?"
-Three pounds of flax
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2011 at 00:00
Nick, you are aware, of course, that the great majority of Buddhists in the world are not Zen. And that they believe in myriad deities many of which have been carried over from religions which pre-dated Buddhism, which like Confucianism and Daoism, have become conflated with Buddhism. Even meditation practices differ between Buddhists. In Vietnam, China, and Korea, meditation is generally reserved for monks and nuns, the exception being the Zen monasteries. Yet Cambodian Buddhism regards meditation as beneficial for all, and with many temples having specific hours reserved for public meditation. Vietnam was traditionally Confucian in the North, and Buddhist in the old South (modern Center), and it is said that Buddhism varies from province to province as one travels from north to south. In the modern South (the Mekong Delta) both Cambodian and Vietnamese Buddhism coexist.  
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2011 at 19:06
Zen is just one small sect of Mahayana, but probably the most extreme. Its emphasis on strict mental discipline made it very appealing for warriors like the Samurai
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2011 at 17:20
Even when asked the same question by different novices, a master could give different answers. When asked if there was Buddha nature in a dog, he said NO! But when asked a few days later by a different disciple, he said YES!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2011 at 19:03
The only interpretation i can suggest is that the dogs the master was referring to were the students themselves. One was ready, but the other was not
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2011 at 20:45
This might be useful for Polisny if he wants to discuss the link between Zen and the Samurai
Bodhidarma's teachings
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 19:16
If a tree falls down in the forest and there's nobody around, does it make a noise?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2011 at 19:20
Some say it won't make a sound, as the definition of sound requires someone to hear it. What are your thoughts on this?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>