Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greek combat arts in India and beyond?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Online Status: Offline
  Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greek combat arts in India and beyond?
    Posted: 24-Oct-2011 at 18:47

With Alexander's and the Diadochi's spread of 'hellenism' as far east as India, what was the possible amount of evolution of Greek combat arts, ie: ancient forms of pankration,  with the forms that may have already existed in India at the time? Also, what possibility existed that some portion of it may or may not have been a precursor for the Chinese arts?

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2011 at 19:05
It's possible. There are a lot of similarities between the Greek kopis and Indian and Nepalese swords like the kukhri. The Mahabharata also describes a type of Indian boxing known as Musti yuddha. It sounds very similar to pankration as the combatants could kick, punch and headbutt each other
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2011 at 15:20
Not sure about weapons but Greeks did have effect on ancient indian culture in many ways. Greeks settled in now what is pakistan and they built their temples and monuments there mixing it with Buddhist influences Eventually these techniques were used for hindu temples all over south asia.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2011 at 19:27
Can you show us some photos Balochi?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply