Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spanish Armada

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spanish Armada
    Posted: 09-Mar-2012 at 19:50
Another lost treasure ship was El Gran Grifon. This 38-gun galleon was the Spanish flagship, but was driven ashore at Fair Isle while searching for a bay to drop anchor and make repairs
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2012 at 20:04

The Shetland Museum has an extensive collection of artefacts recovered from the wreck. More can be seen here
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2012 at 19:17
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2012 at 19:18
Did the Armada fail because Spanish guns were poor quality? The ships contained many types of cannon, including land artillery and obsolete hailshots made from iron hoops welded together
http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba64/feat1.shtml
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2012 at 19:27
pedrocalcoen View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote pedrocalcoen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2012 at 18:23
hi,
the Armada had several fleets inside: the Portuguese one, the Castela, the Naples and other kingdoms in Spain - under the political union of the spanish king. 9 ships of war were portuguese, but the spanish turn them more heavy...  São Martinho, a portuguese vessel, was the main vessel... the site that i just red say that were few ships in the Armada with real capacity to stand against the English. Anyway this postions began to cause really hatred to Castela and half a century after to the portuguese rebelelion and in the Restauration War regain our independence
Leroy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Leroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2012 at 20:32
Few people know that the Spanish Armada was actually a crusade as it was indulgenced and partly financed by Church taxation. Cardinal Reginald Pole originally called for this crusade against England.

Edited by Leroy - 10-Apr-2012 at 20:33
Janissary
Janissary

Quote pedrocalcoen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 07:07
i didn´t know that thanks. the cruzade´s ideia was very strong in Spain and Portugal in that period. D Sebastiao, the last portuguese king before the lost of independence, organize a huge expedition to Morocco in 1578 ou 6 in the spirit of holy war...
Both countries built their impire in that spirit during middle ages. Both countries were built in direct fight agains arabs, muslims... the war agains them outside the peninsula was a kind of natural development. But i didn´t know that information...

Edited by pedrocalcoen - 11-Apr-2012 at 07:08
Leroy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Leroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 13:44
Yes, the crusading ideals were still very strong in Spain and also Venice. Spain still had the cruzada or crusade tax. It was only a few years earlier that Spain and Venice formed the Holy League of the papacy and defeated the Turks at the Battle of Lepanto. The Catholic Church still celebrates this victory every year as the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary.

Strictly speaking crusading did not end until in 1798 when the Hospitallers of Malta surrendered to Napoleon (most of the Hospitallers were French).
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 17:42
The crusading ideals were strong?  Well, after 800 years spent fighting to regain lost territory, wouldn't it be expected to be so?  And is 'crusading' the proper word? The combattants may have seen themselves in the same mold as crusaders, but unlike the English, French, and northern Europeans, did they not have a palpable interest in seizing territories in North Africa that would keep their enemies on the defensive?
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Janissary
Janissary

Quote pedrocalcoen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 18:24
yes, the "reconquista" sometimes was possible only with the direct help of crusades. in Portugal  the regaining of Lisbon and Silves in the south was only possible with their help. in early XVI Portugal had strong battles in Indic Ocean against Ottomans and Egiptians. Diu navy battle was a very big battle between Portugal and Egypt (before the entrance in the Ottoman Empire). the war was a part of the daily life.
another interesting thing is the way that both Portugal and Spain thing the territory: they were regaining the roman territory, they should kept the roman divisions of the land or use others? this problems were the begginig of many diplomatic problems. in the end of that regaining it was a natural task to regain the roman territories of oversea in Africa...

Edited by pedrocalcoen - 11-Apr-2012 at 18:26
Janissary
Janissary

Quote pedrocalcoen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 18:41
well i don´t know if i make this clear: the 9 portuguese ships were the main war vessels of the Armada and they had a superior fire power compare to the spanish. the flagship was a portuguese one São Martinho. like the attack to Argel by Carlos V was the very best support of São João Baptista, o «botafogo»
Janissary
Janissary

Quote pedrocalcoen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 19:03
9 consider more strong in the wiki they talk about 12 in the portuguese squadron. a portuguese military site consider that only nine were really superior vessels...
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 19:36
Originally posted by lirelou

The crusading ideals were strong?  Well, after 800 years spent fighting to regain lost territory, wouldn't it be expected to be so?  And is 'crusading' the proper word? The combattants may have seen themselves in the same mold as crusaders, but unlike the English, French, and northern Europeans, did they not have a palpable interest in seizing territories in North Africa that would keep their enemies on the defensive?

The Armada could be considered a form of crusade: Spanish king Philip portrayed himself as seeking to save England from heresy and avenge the death of the Catholic Mary Stuart. To the Spanish, Elizabeth wasn't a Christian or a legitimate ruler as she had been excommunicated by the pope and was the daughter of Henry's mistress
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2012 at 19:19
The Spanish believed the English were ugly as punishment for renouncing Catholicism. They pictured Drake as a half-man half-dragon monster and were amazed when James I sent normal-looking English ambassadors in 1604
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=OcMPAAAAQAAJ&dq=spanish%20armada&pg=PA24#v=onepage&q&f=false
Janissary
Janissary

Quote pedrocalcoen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2012 at 07:58
Very interesting :)

some of the Drake´s seamen (when they come to Portugal to support D António against FilipeII, after the "Armada") were very admire to see how children so young could speak portuguese.
in times of lack of information it was easy to make stranges things with propaganda... or to make people to believe in amazing things...

thanks for the post Nick 1986

Edited by pedrocalcoen - 13-Apr-2012 at 07:58
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2012 at 19:27

One of the iron anchors the Spaniards cut away when they encountered Drake's fireships
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12