Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why did Abraham abandon Ismail?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did Abraham abandon Ismail?
    Posted: 04-Jul-2011 at 12:45
According to the bible Abraham was commanded by God to leave Ishmael and Hagar in the desert. What was the rationale behind this action? Did God have other plans for Ismail (to father the Arabs)? Was Abraham unable to care for two wives? Or was Sarah jealous of Hagar?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2011 at 17:45
Originally posted by Nick1986

According to the bible Abraham was commanded by God to leave Ishmael and Hagar in the desert. What was the rationale behind this action? Did God have other plans for Ismail (to father the Arabs)? Was Abraham unable to care for two wives? Or was Sarah jealous of Hagar?

My ancient Baptist-Lutheran forefathers would probably say two of the three.. not to mention Hagar was a bond women...essentially a slave....and then how would the ancient Israelite scholars justify their nation as one of sons of the same.Wink

As ancient tradition holds the Abraham was excedingly rich and had many wives and concubines....Keturah being another if one looks carefully. And to further stir the pot the terms were often interchangeable by the ancient Hebrews. And while many purists believe he only had two sons...it simply is not reasonable for this skeptical old Scout's mindWink not to not believe he had many more by his numerous  aforementioned.

But unto the sons of the concubines, which Abraham had, Abraham gave gifts, and sent them away from Isaac his son, while he yet lived, eastward, unto the east country.

KJB
Genesis 25:6

And finally in Gensis 20:12; we know Sarai was his wife from his native homeland and his half sister or niece (depending on interp)....consequently as this was not an uncommon practice for that time to ensure identification with ancestors.... first in the bloodlines..... we have the rest of the story.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 04-Jul-2011 at 17:50
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2011 at 15:53
The irrational acts of the prophets were usually commanded by God because you don't ask "why"!
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2011 at 16:41
Quite true...insofar as the authority and required obeidence of the 'acts'.... yet I will not presume they were irrationalWink acts. Not my place to Judge GOD or his Prophets, as I understand them, in that light.

More interesting to me is my earlier.....where did the other sons go.....east? East of what where....Mareh...Luz/Ai....Negeb...Bethel...Mamre...or back to Ur of the Chaldea (As he had encampments in all of them at one or another point in time) and beyond. Scripture dosn't clearly delineate sons after Issac vs. before, other then Ishmael, so when did this occur? Most speculate at the birth of Issac....but who knows.

Perchance some of the sons became forefathers of those in later Persia...and lands even further east.

Always an interesting speculation.Smile

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 05-Jul-2011 at 18:11

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2011 at 19:43
At one time the Jews and Persians were like brothers. They had common enemies: the Assyrians, Hittites, Greeks and Egyptians
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2011 at 01:40
In other words,Jews were half brothers with Persians.But inside this story,was seeded or stressed non hostile attitude that would have been explained with new doctrine of Roman Empire.Bible and its texts(psalms),were written to help new empire ruling,using new doctrine:Divide et impera.All existed people's conflicts were enlarged and non existing invented.Let us read The Bible  this way!
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2011 at 15:12
Abraham, like Ismail, Moses and many (if not most) of the Old Testament figures never existed. They were created in the last centuries BCE to give the Jewish people a conscience of national unity and to justify their historical claims.

It is generally recognised by scholars that there is nothing in the Genesis stories that can be related to the history of Canaan of the early 2nd millennium: none of the kings mentioned is known, Abimelech could not be a Philistine (they did not arrive till centuries later), Ur could not become known as "Ur of the Chaldeans" until the early 1st millennium, and Laban could not have been an Aramean, as the Arameans did not become an identifiable political entity until the 12th century.[19] Joseph Blenkinsopp, Emeritus Professor of Biblical Studies at the University of Notre Dame, notes that the past four or five decades have seen a growing consensus that the Genesis narrative of Abraham originated from literary circles of the 6th and 5th centuries BCE as a mirror of the situation facing the Jewish community under the Babylonian and early Persian empires.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham#Historicity_and_origins

Edited by Menumorut - 06-Jul-2011 at 15:35

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2011 at 05:23

The original name of Abraham was Parham, this is a popluar Persian name which means "father of multitudes": http://www.ourbabynamer.com/meaning-of-Parham.html the first part is the prefix "par-" which means "father, spiritual leader" (cf. Greek patr- "father"), and the second part is "hame": http://www.wikiled.com/persian-english-hame-Default.aspx the Persian word for "all, the whole" (cf. Greek hama "together with").

We read in the Avesta that Athera (Fire) is the son of Ahura Mazda, this word has been Arabicized as "Azar" (like in Azarbaijan = "Fire Keeper") and we read in Quran that "Azar" was the father of Abraham, in Hebrew this word has been changed to "Terah", and we read in the Bible that it is the name of Abraham's father.
The story is that Nimrod took Abraham, and cast him into fire; but the fire grew cool and pleasant unto Abraham, who came out of it after some days. Maybe for this reason he was called as the son of the fire.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 09-Jul-2011 at 10:38
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2011 at 01:18
Interesting but not what is reported by the Hebrews. His name according to their tradition was Abram.

Is their a scholarly reviewed and accepted nexus between Abram and Parham? Or the hypothesized Assyrian version?

*Etymology

Abraham first appears as Abram in the book of Genesis until he is renamed by God in Genesis 17:5. The narrative indicates that abraham means “the father of a multitude" (Hebrew: ʼaḇ-hămôn goyim).[14] However, scholars do not accept the narrative's definition to be the etymology of Abraham because, though "ab-" means "father", "-hamon" is not the second element, and "-Raham" is not a word in Hebrew. The word in Hebrew for "multitude" is rabim. Johann Friedrich Karl Keil suggested that there was once a word raham (רָהָם) in Hebrew that meant "multitude", on analogy with the Arabic ruhâm which does have this meaning, but there is no evidence to support this;[15] another possibility is that the first element should be abr-, which means "chief", but this yields a meaningless second element, "-aham". David Rohl suggests the name comes from the Akkadian "the father loves",[16] but scholars would prefer an origin based on Hebrew.

*The original form of the name, Abram, is apparently the Assyrian Abu-ramu. It is doubtful if the usual meaning attached to that word "lofty father", is correct. The meaning given to Abraham in Genesis 17:5 is popular word play, and the real meaning is unknown. The Assyriologist, Hommel suggests that in the Minnean dialect, the Hebrew letter ("h") is written for long a. Perhaps here we may have the real derivation of the word, and Abraham may be only a dialectical form of Abram.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 09-Jul-2011 at 01:21

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2011 at 21:55
It's interesting that a lot of ancient Jews seem to have been named after their future deeds. Were their parents aware of their destiny, or did prophets like Abraham change their names (or receive them from their descendents) after such events (like the birth of his two sons) came to pass?
FioDeus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote FioDeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2011 at 21:58

It's interesting that a lot of ancient Jews seem to have been named after their future deeds. Were their parents aware of their destiny, or did prophets like Abraham change their names (or receive them from their descendents) after such events (like the birth of his two sons) came to pass?

Deeds??

Like smashing the heads of infants against walls of conquered cities??
Be like water my friend.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2011 at 22:04
These were brutal times. The Canaanites would have done the same thing to the Jews if they won
FioDeus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote FioDeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2011 at 23:10
They kill Cannanite children, even today my friend.
Be like water my friend.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 04:21
So do the descendants of the Canaanites still kill Jews....so move on less ya got some thing concrete to offer...in context.. to the OP or his last question. Because at this point I don't see it.

Speaking of which it's an interesting question...Abraham's name was not changed by his descendants or his for bearers but by the Almighty. As to parents awareness....sketchy but yes; scripture offers the case of Samson and the Judge-Prophet Samuel. Then there is Prophet John the Baptist and of course the Christ himself...probably more but they escape me right now...getting late.

Basically any where an angel shows up and informs the parents of their child's destiny and ya have to partly believe they then knew something special was going to occur.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 10:34
Originally posted by FioDeus

No they don't. The Palestinians are descended from the biblical Jews (who absorbed the surviving Canaanites) who stayed in the Holy Land. In addition to genocide, modern Israel is guilty of fratricide.
ConradWeiser View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 16:15

No they don't. The Palestinians are descended from the biblical Jews (who absorbed the surviving Canaanites) who stayed in the Holy Land. In addition to genocide, modern Israel is guilty of fratricide.

Canaanites-->Israelites-->Palestinians. Same people biologically. Different cultures. Modern Israelites are generally less Israeli than whatever part of the world they came from.
Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 18:32

Deeds?? Like smashing the heads of infants against walls of conquered cities??

I hope you're ironical. The Jewish Scriptures are no more historically accurate than other ancient peoples' myths. Some people on this forum seem not to be aware how such myths appeared, from simple invention of scribes or from oral traditions.

You can compare with the way fake traditions were fabricated in Middle Age or even in the Modern Age. Kings and priests needed to have some sort of authority, and a noble origin tale is invented. People hear a rumour and transmit it to others and so a 'historical tradition' is born.

For example, in Middle Age was common for the Barbarians invading Europe to try to make connection between them and people from the past. The Goths and the Danes claimed that they are the ancient Dacians (who were not a Germanic people) and the Hungarians that they are the same people with the Huns etc.

The Jewish Scriptures contain references to some real figures (like the kings David and Solomon) but the stories about patriarchs and prophets were invented pretty late (see my message above). There was not any Abraham, nor coming in the promised land or slavery in Egypt.

Historians and archaeologists agree that the Jews are the autochtonous population that lived here from the Neolithic or earlier. Their material culture shows not a foreign origin but a direct continuation of the earlier local cultures, identified as belonging to the so called Canaanites.

Reading the Wikipedia articles about these mythical figures will enlighten you in a measure.

Edited by Menumorut - 21-Aug-2011 at 18:40

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 19:02
Other tribes were equally violent, if not worse. The Assyrians nailed prisoners to their siege engines, the Egyptians killed Israelite newborns, the Sodomites tried to rape Lot's guests, and the Canaanites sacrificed children to Molech.
 Post Reply Post Reply