Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

World Peace

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Peace
    Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 22:37

Many often talk of world peace, but the means to that end are not very well defined.

How would you try to create world peace if you could?

I personally do not think world peace is a possible or worthwhile goal but if I were to give it a shot this would be it:

1.In essence a Treaty of Tordesillas for the entire world would have to be created.  The entire world would have to be divided into ironclad spheres of influence and absolute sovereignity would have to maintained.  Violation of territorial sovereignity would be the only acceptable casus belli and violating that would result in a forceful halt to military operations.

2.Individual nations would have very truncated armies and an international system of calling up troops to enforce this plan would be created.

3.All international trade would fall to an international organization to ensure that no nation feels taken advantage of.  This would not be free trade however.

4. All diplomacy would have to be conducted through a conference system like the Concert of Europe.

As you can see this would be unworkable without in essence all nations losing all but their most basic sovereignity and creating an overly powerful international system so I wouldn't ever want to see it put into practice.

On a more Machiavellian scale, you could just have the world's major powers take part and divide the world into spheres of influence in which their free hand is absolute.  That and military enforcement of it might persuade cooler heads to avoid setting the world on fire.

Edited by Genghis
Member of IAEA
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 03:55
the only possible way to EVER achieve world peace (and this would not be permanent) is to unify all governments under the rule of a single bloodthirsty despot who butchers millions of people and has everthing firmly under his control, a la Shi Huangdi style.  That is the only concievable way I can see the whole world having some peace.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 07:08
The solution of Tobodai sounds reasonable but i think world peace is impossible. I can compare in a way, war with crime, as in both no matter what you do, it will always happen. You can surely reduce the incidents but you can never eliminate them. The only way maybe, to achieve world peace is if you first kill all the humans.

Edited by Aeolus
Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 14:16
A world governement makes me shutter. I hope the world never come to it.  In America we would lose the freedoms that we enjoy.
"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 14:22
I don't mean to be inappropriate, but right after I saw the topic i thought of Miss World
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 15:03

World Peace is very easy to acheive.

Step 1: Get a group of colonists together

Step 2: Build a spaceship and head to a new planet.

Step 3: Crush all instances of dissent amongst colonists instantly.

Step 4: Don't let anyone else in.

Thus World Peace, or did you mean this world?

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 19:57
Originally posted by JanusRook

World Peace is very easy to acheive.

Step 1: Get a group of colonists together

Step 2: Build a spaceship and head to a new planet.

Step 3: Crush all instances of dissent amongst colonists instantly.

Step 4: Don't let anyone else in.

Thus World Peace, or did you mean this world?

"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 19:59
Maybe I'd grab Miss Universe by the rear. Thats what I call "World Piece".  Just kiddin!

Edited by Seko
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 02:17

yes thats it! permanent world peace could be acheived!  You just have to kill EVERY SINGLE PERSON TO DO IT!

hmmm, but imgane the world without people...it would be like a paradise.

-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 06:33
It will be extremely difficult to achieve, but I don't think world peace is fundamentally impossible. There's no natural law or so that prevents world peace. At some points in history there were more wars than on other points, so why should no war at all be impossible?
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 10:55

hmmm, but imgane the world without people...it would be like a paradise.

And finally I'd have time to finish all those books, I'd finally have time.....

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 11:47

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

It will be extremely difficult to achieve, but I don't think world peace is fundamentally impossible. There's no natural law or so that prevents world peace. At some points in history there were more wars than on other points, so why should no war at all be impossible?

Let me place it this way. People all over the world, are indoctorinated from birth with absolute beliefs e.g religion, racism, bigotry etc. Sometimes these beliefs suppress rational thought. If it was ingrained from a child's beginnings that violence was incorrect, I think violence in the world would decrease. But you have to keep in mind that the absence of conflict would signal that we had changed our nature as a species. If we were a hive of bees or ants, we might find sth like "universal peace" by subordinating our individualism to the common good. As it is, we are separate organisms who often find that the continual presence of a mate can chafe.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 21:19

World peace isn't even a just goal.  Is it immoral to wage war to prevent injustice, defend your own rights, or defeat tyranny?  Like my country fought a war that ended slavery and many other nations have fought for noble causes?  Sometimes war is the lesser of two evils.  In 1525, would you tell the peasants in the Peasants' War that they should have laid down and accepted their serfdom because violence is not justified.

As a previous poster mentioned, just as war is caused by many absolute beliefs, the idea that peace is more important than all other things is a dogmatic and inflexible belief.  Violence in and of itself is not an evil thing; it is the reasons for which it is committed.  If I use violence to kill someone robbing my home, is that unjust?  Violence means nothing without the context in which it is resorted to. 

Edited by Genghis
Member of IAEA
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 21:44
It is not possible to have World peace with so many different people in the Wolrd.  You would either have to commit a Hitler (which did not hold over well with the rest of the World) or kill everyone as previously stated.  It is as simple as that
Herodotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Herodotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 19:53

I'm sorry, have you met many humans? There most certainly is a natural law against world peace, I like to call it the individual being theory. The concept is simply that humans beings, if unhampered, can and most often will act in their own interests, in total freedom. Thus, they would neccessarily infringe on the interest of others at least some of the time, leading to inevitable conflict. So world peace could not be achieved unless either all human interests could be reconciled, (See Brave New World by Aldous Huxley) or the state could be so powerful as to totally hamper the pursuit of all human interest. Both are impossible. Therefore, so is world peace.

Edited by Herodotus
"Dieu est un comdien jouant une assistance trop effraye de rire."
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Francois Marie Arouet, Voltaire

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 00:16
It would be nice but humans will have to evolve spriritually to a higher level otherwise the cycle of hate and war will continue to the end. Because human nature is the same I believe that history repeats itself in cycles, never ending.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 03:28
Although I think world peace is the most impossible goal any person could possibly have, I will concede its existence if a memeber of AE can get both a Turkish member and an Armenian member to have a rational debate, agree to a compromise view, and become best of friends forever.  After you do that, then I will concede world peace.
-Alexander Hamilton
Herodotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Herodotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 09:36
In addition to being impossible, world peace is highly undesirable. Extended peace breeds stagnation: and lack of dissent, slavery. I'll stay human, thank you.
"Dieu est un comdien jouant une assistance trop effraye de rire."
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Francois Marie Arouet, Voltaire

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 17:05
I use to get a laugh out of the bumer stick "I desire world peas!"

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 23:47

Originally posted by Tobodai

Although I think world peace is the most impossible goal any person could possibly have, I will concede its existence if a memeber of AE can get both a Turkish member and an Armenian member to have a rational debate, agree to a compromise view, and become best of friends forever.  After you do that, then I will concede world peace.

I'll get right on that once I develop a way to stop gravity.

Member of IAEA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>