Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Eastern weapons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eastern weapons
    Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 19:53
One of the nastiest Asian weapons was the punji stick, still in use during the Vietnam War. This sharpened stake was smeared in excrement, hammered into a pit and concealed with foliage to cripple invaders
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2012 at 11:17
I'm not sure I'd qualify the Punji stake as uniquely Asian. Sharpened sticks certainly had their place in European warfare as a means of channeling attacks, particularly by horse mounted troops against infantry, and increasing the defensive power of isolated positions. I'd be willing to bet that they too were covered with anything that would increase a wound's lethality. 

In Vietnam the Punki stake was merely the poor man's booby-trap. I served in two areas, one in which we never saw Punji stakes, and the second where we only ran into them on occasion, usually in the sparsely settled contested areas.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2012 at 19:05

Three Indonesian parang swords
anishthayil View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote anishthayil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2012 at 02:38

"Kaduthila", mostly referred as Malabar Sword or Sword from south India.. etc... This type of inward curved swords was once the primary weapon of Warriors from Malabar (Modern Kerala State, India). The practice of martial art called Kalari-Payat (Kalarippayattu) involved the use of Kaduthila

Edited by anishthayil - 05-Dec-2012 at 02:39
anishthayil View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote anishthayil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2012 at 02:40

Edited by anishthayil - 05-Dec-2012 at 02:41
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2013 at 14:43

Indian Weapons by unforth, on Flickr

2: Sword. South India, 16th - 17th century AD. The knuckle guard was copied from the Portuguese.

3: Ayla Katti of steel inlaid with gold with a wooden handle. South India, from Coorg. 18th - 19th century AD.

4: Bhuj (elephant knife) of steel, the blade with chasing and silver parcel gilt, Sind, 18th century AD. The handle conceals a long narrow blade.

Venkytalks View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Venkytalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2013 at 14:01

Very interesting collection of exotic weapons here.

You might find this interesting - it is a flail sword used in a Kerala martial art called Kalaripayattu - also called Urumi and its variant the Chuttuvaal or curved flexible sword (which was posted in the first page.)

The flail sword is quite a dangerous weapon and needs expert handling - and in theory is used when a single warrior has to hold off a number of people (neither friend nor foe can get near him).

BTW, the first weapon posted, the Kukri - is like a Samurai sword in its sharpness - it uses tempered steel using a special process and results in a very sharp blade which never blunts. Injuries from a Kukri can resemble a surgical blade injury.
Venky
abhijeet View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote abhijeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 02:46
hey pal i was following your posts for a long time n many needs edition... i am an indian so i can help u in information regarding these arms (if u dont have any probz)... these are forms of trident.... For a hindus trident are holly and symbolic to spirituality and power.... but few shown in this pic r either not indian or may be inspired by Greeks or other Asian countries.... as the major catch is indian trident are not only a pole weapon they are blade weapon too. secondly Indian Tridents r never used for fishing as Greeks Do... In India Tridents Are used only for combat, war or for religious purpose....
desmond42 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote desmond42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2015 at 01:06
I have this same sword but is kind of rusted how much is it worth?
The chosen32
desmond42 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote desmond42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2015 at 01:08
I have this same sword.
The chosen32
doken7 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote doken7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2015 at 03:23
I have a sword just like it, can you tell me more about it?
KLH
Palani kumar View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Palani kumar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2016 at 02:45
Originally posted by Nick1986

The Fakir's Crutch was an early example of the swordstick. In itself it was unremarkable except for its unusual handle which ensured excellent protection for the user's fingers. The metal sheath was often wielded in the other hand to defend against the enemy's sword

I think this could also pack a deadly surprise since once it's placed inside the sheath, it can be made to look like a decorative walking stick. Since it's a stabbing weapon, most chain mail type armor could have had little effect against this deadly weapon.
History engages in a complex product engineering process, where humans are shaped as they learn and punished if not.
Andy View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2016 at 01:56
Hi,

The items displayed in the following image are of interest to me. Could I know the source from which this page was taken and in particular any description of the firearms illustrated.

Regards,

Andy.

Andy View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2016 at 02:02
Hi,

I was referring to the image posted by Nick1986 on 31 August 2011 under the post Eastern Weapons and described as "This 18th century Persian trophy of arms include an interesting double-bladed spear, a bull-shaped mace and two unusual looking muskets".

See below.

Regards,

Andy.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2016 at 09:21
Sorry, not a clue, and Nick1986 hasn't been around for some time.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Andy View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2016 at 04:06
OK Thanks.

Just hope someone who might have the contact details for Nick1986 will pass it on. Thank you for your prompt response anyway.

Regards.
Jeno View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Jeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2016 at 11:40
I have a correction to the post from Nick1986 from 14-jan-2013.
The Aydha Katthi shown in the picture. The blade is not inlaid with gold, but with silver. The inlaid letter is the Kannadan letter for VI/VEE and stands for Dodda Vira Rajendra Wodeyear (r. 1780-1809), so the dating 18th to 19th century is correct.
He and his brother and other family members were Tipu Sultan's prisoners for a number of years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678