Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Eastern weapons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eastern weapons
    Posted: 09-Feb-2012 at 17:41
Originally posted by Nick1986

Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

It might even be a rice sickle, Nick.

It's possible, but the handle is much too ornate for a simple everyday tool
Oh I totally agree about it not being an everyday tool, more likely ceremonial. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2012 at 19:35

Tibetan sword dating to the 17th century
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2012 at 19:04

As you can see, Tibetan warriors were well-armed and successfully fought off the Chinese, Russians and British. Many a captured musket can be found in our regimental museums, and (less frequently these days) at antique fairs
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 19:41

An Indian matchlock pistol from Oriental Arms. This one is a real rarity as it's double bareled

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2012 at 19:28

Another strange Indian weapon: the Pata which was basically a sword with a katar handle
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 19:15

A pair of ninja weapons known as kama. These were originally rice sickles adapted for climbing walls
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2012 at 16:39
Originally posted by Nick1986

Another strange Indian weapon: the Pata which was basically a sword with a katar handle

Would I be right in believing that this magnificent weapon is for thrusting, Nick?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2012 at 19:24
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Would I be right in believing that this magnificent weapon is for thrusting, Nick?

That's right Alani. It's the Indian equivalent of the European rapier, but with a guard that enclosed the entire hand
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 19:22

Various Chinese glaives, maces and polearms
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2012 at 19:33

This Japanese fan might look harmless, but it contains razor-sharp blades, an ideal self-defence weapon for a high status lady or a samurai in the years following the ban on swords. A type of kung-fu exists where fans are used to distract (and even incapacitate) opponents
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2012 at 08:41
Nick, I found this Fan Kata demo.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2012 at 19:12
Thanks Alani. Here's something else i've found:
Classical weapons of Japan
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2012 at 19:09

A "scissors katar" with three spring-loaded blades
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 20:45

More Chinese polearms
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2012 at 19:40

Japanese kusarigama: a sickle with weighted chain attached. This could be used in a similar way to the meteor hammer: tangling enemy weapons and delivering deadly blunt force trauma before using the blade to finish off the weakened opponent
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2012 at 19:23

These ninja claws are used by the main bad guy in Shogun Assassin. They also inspired the bladed weapons favored by comic book superhero Wolverine
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2012 at 19:14

A spring-loaded arrow launcher concealed in the wide sleeves fashionable among high-status Chinamen
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2012 at 05:54
What I can gather, Nick, is this was an assassin's weapon,or Knight errant, and reasonably accurate at close quarters, with the tip of the arrow dipped in poison at times, but I'm not sure poison was always used. Do you have any idea, Nick, as to what type of poison might have been used with such a weapon?

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2012 at 19:03
There were many types to choose from: Aconite, Strychnine and Cyanide were all known to the Chinese. If i was to hazard a guess i'd say Aconite as this was often used for poison arrows
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2012 at 19:16
Aconite or "Aco" was the preferred poison of African tribesmen which had varying effects. In the Willard Price book Safari Adventure a gang of poachers use it to kill animals and park rangers. A strong man might survive, but most people took between 10 minutes and an hour to die. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>