Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Baseball Season 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baseball Season 2011
    Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 19:58
Originally posted by red clay

Well, things didn't quite turn out the way I thought it would.  The Phils folded after they clinched the East title.

Yes, the Phils did fold neatly and exited before the final rounds. So much for all those old
postings in this thread.LOL

I wouldn't have minded as much if it had been another team, but the Cardinals?  I despise Tony Larussa now more than ever.

I had bet it would have been a Yankee-Phil World Series and missed both, as did many others.
But having the Cards in was a stomach turning event. They are one of my top teams I think
get way too much coverage. And yes, Larussa is a bit overrated, like all mgrs, he lives and dies
by the payroll around him. It isn't all him. And what's up with the old man hair dye? Geeze. 

What I do understand is that the Phillies weren't capable of going to the level of play that I saw in the World Series.  If they had made it, the Rangers would have swept them in 4 games.

The Rangers may have lost the World Series but at least they played well at times to push it
to seven games and made for a lot of exciting highlights.  One bounce here, one non-blown call
there and the series has a different outcome.
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 21:26
Originally posted by tjadams

[QUOTE=red clay]
[quote]I had bet it would have been a Yankee-Phil World Series and missed both, as did many others.
But having the Cards in was a stomach turning event. They are one of my top teams I think
get way too much coverage. And yes, Larussa is a bit overrated, like all mgrs, he lives and dies
by the payroll around him. It isn't all him. And what's up with the old man hair dye? Geeze. 
You just hate him because his A's used to use the Rangers for warm-up practice. Oh yeah...and the Canseco thing. Bwahahahahaah!Tongue
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 21:59

No, not that really. The juiced-up A's didn't bother me and in reality,  

odd that we in a circular way, have Canseco to thank for unscrewing the lid off

that Steroid-Era of baseball.  I just don't like Larussa, he comes across

as kind of dull.

Edited by tjadams - 05-Nov-2011 at 22:00
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 22:08

Interesting twist of events:

Cardinals Manager Says Team Never Got White House Call After Series Win

Published November 05, 2011 | FoxNews.com

Winning the World Series just wasn't enough.

The retired manager of the St. Louis Cardinals told a local radio station that his team never got the traditional phone call from the White House after their 6-2 Series win over the Texas Rangers last week.

Tony La Russa told CBS affiliate KMOX that amid the celebration last week, "We never did get a call."

He recalled that the White House had called earlier to make sure they had the "correct number" for his office before the World Series began.

But amid the European debt crisis and a sustained push at home over job creation, President Obama apparently never picked up the phone.

Obama is hardly averse to calling and hosting sports teams from time to time. He hosted the San Francisco Giants, last year's World Series winners, over the summer. In September, he even invited the Chicago Bears team that won the Super Bowl more than 25 years ago -- he was making up for a missed visit, since the 1986 explosion of the space shuttle Challenger got in the way of any White House recognition for the Bears at the time. The Bears are also Obama's home team.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/05/cardinals-manager-says-team-never-got-white-house-call-after-series-win/?test=latestnews

Edited by tjadams - 05-Nov-2011 at 22:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12