Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Ski" name ending / Poland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Ski" name ending / Poland
    Posted: 06-Apr-2011 at 14:03
To what extent does having  the name "Ski" or (Sky) indicate Polish descent?  The ending seems very common in Poland.  I think it means "of a particular place" in origin.

Then there are others who have it as well.  Some, like Soviet General Rokosssovsky, were of Polish back ground.  But what about others, like the infamous Kaminski whose mercenaries committed atrocities in Warsaw?  He was Belo-Russian or Russian.  In addition to other German officers and men in WWII, the German commander (General Bach-Zelewski)  during the Warsaw uprising had the "Ski" name ending as well.  Was he of Polish background?   In addition, some Ukrainians have the ending (Khmelnytsky Cossack rebellion).  I have also seen Macedonians with "Ski" endings.

Edited by Cryptic - 06-Apr-2011 at 14:06
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2011 at 14:14
Translated literary it means:Cryptic's...Way to express genitive in Macedonian,Polish etc...Belong to Cryptic,
(Origin from Criptic)his son or daughter...or wife...

Edited by medenaywe - 06-Apr-2011 at 14:17
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2011 at 15:48
Ski is also a common Russian name denoting that the individual is male (sisters and daughters are ska). Example: Kowalski and Kowalska. Ov or Ev indicate that the person came from a noble family (Romanov) and Vitch means son of (Sergeyvitch)
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2011 at 15:57
yes Nick "slavic" second names have both of them."ski" for male,"ska" for female...in Polish "ski" for both.
"ov" for male,"ova" for female...
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2011 at 13:53
Thanks for the information
Galleon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Galleon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2011 at 18:54

Adjectival names very often end in the suffixes -ski, -cki and -dzki (feminine -ska, -cka and -dzka), and are considered to be either typically Polish or typical for the Polish nobility. However, this is not exactly true, exactly as in France or Germany where not all people with a de or von in their names were formally nobles: the adjectival suffix -ski, -skii or -sky is found in many other Slavic languages, and in Poland, the adjectival form of a name was not reserved to the szlachta.

Based on origin, Polish family names may be generally divided into three groups: cognominal, toponymic and patronymic.

A cognominal surname (nazwisko przezwiskowe) derives from a person's nickname, usually based on his occupation, or a physical or character trait.

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2011 at 02:16
one suffix means,obedient or humble,as Minov means Mino obedient.Other "now who ...is"..I believe that second one is interrogative form.Kowallski?Who is now Kowall?
  Galleon question for you:Kowalskaya also exists in Polish?

Edited by medenaywe - 13-Apr-2011 at 02:49
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2011 at 10:28
Originally posted by medenaywe

Who is now Kowall?

A blacksmith
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2011 at 14:05
You misunderstand me:Kowalski exist but form Kowalskaya...skaya sufix?
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2011 at 09:15
As I said in this thread about what Scythia means, Scythia, Parthia, Persia, ... could mean section, part, piece, ... in the Indo-European languages, Persians in fact called themselves Pars Aryan which means part of Aryan nation, it seems to be possible that ski also means part or family of Slavic people.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2011 at 14:18
yes Cyrus but as rest of history Persia just have stolen most of ancient history till today!History was written
by victorious!Now i know that second names of "slaves" have forms consisted by exact sounds with precise
meaning!-skaya, now also(as) present!How do i know?!?SmileRegards.(Sorry that i suppose Greece as one of
ancestors  of  Persian  civilization.)
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2011 at 03:25
I believe that suffix depended from status of person that carried it.Slave or citizen!Approve 

Edited by medenaywe - 11-May-2011 at 08:23
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 08:55
In Polish the male form is: Kowalski, female form: Kowalska, Kowalskaya is female form of this surname in Russian
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2011 at 08:40
I have always considered "ski" or "sky", to be similar to "Mc" or "Mac", I.e. meaning "Son of?", or possibly "Child of?", at least in the earliest times when family names became necessary for census takers, tax collectors, etc.

It seems that some Eastern European languages, also denoted the strictly delinated terms of "son"= "ski/sky" and the female "skaya", etc.

This is similar to the Norse, who also incorporated the feminine ending into both male and female versions, such as "Larson/Larsen" as well as "Larsdaughter", etc.

But, perhaps I am wrong?

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 02-Jun-2011 at 08:42
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2011 at 11:43
It is similar with that.Here is essential the first one,root member of whole family tree,than follow sounds and words that have also meaning.Our Ape ancestor started his speaking with sounds that were words.Than he put among consonants,vocals cause of detection and correction of errors!?!After had come syllables,that had been made by 2&3 sounds!When he had wasted them,started combinatorics.Words in usage today,were than sentences!Small advanced curse of ancient language!Clap
 P.S.Of course all that was upon life experiences,rather than from ancient linguistic university.Big smileDuring the
Egypt,could have been interventions on language?!?Different groups all around Med sea,separated among themselves,practiced maybe different rules?!?Same were only syllables and their meaning!?!

Edited by medenaywe - 10-Jun-2011 at 00:32
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2011 at 03:35
"Ski"=present(presence) value,"Ska"=present(presence) feature,"V"=obedient,humble,are final and exact meanings.Differences are obvious:First one speaks about free person,second one about slave&serf&poor.
"SKaYa"=present(presence)feature mortal.
Kowalskaya:From Kowal presence,features mortality!(Kowalskaja)
example:
(from)Kowal's presence,values=Kowal-ski!
From Kowal presence,features=Kowalska!
Kowalov=From  Kowal  obedience!
Kowalova=From Kowal slavery!
     That's all folks!No more edit here!

Edited by medenaywe - 27-Jan-2012 at 10:32
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2011 at 15:58
There it is: learning something new. 
I never would have thought to analyse the 'ski' name ending.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2011 at 20:28
What is the meaning of Dziembowski? This was the surname of my great-great grandmother
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2011 at 02:54
Latin letters changed phonetics inside the words Nick.Syllables were first and a lot of voices had been lost now cause of Latin alphabet .In "slavic" languages we call them "Africati"(they "came" from Africa.
In first language people used voices for words!All of them have had exact meaning.Than had combined them with vocals to receive more combinations for events&objects&images&thoughts inside outside of them.After that they invented grammar rules:if they stayed our language and our mathematics will be the same.People that had built the pyramids were ingenious.Precision and logic were basis in their world.
Here are some of them:
http://www.asusilc.net/scr101/les1/s1glas.htm
Here you have all "African" voices:
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/macedonian.htm
and here is Coptic  alphabet:(compare it!)
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/coptic.htm

Edited by medenaywe - 31-Dec-2011 at 10:18
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2012 at 01:06
In my analysis of syllables I found that Ki=volume but KiI=shape&form so:'MiNoSKi means=From MiNo presents shape&form!It is more logical even if with short Ki=From Mino presents volume,has logical meaning also.Ki=volume/zafatnina and KiI=shape&form/oblik&forma. "'" is in front of it!
Every pronounce of our surnames is prising of predecessor of ours!Here they still say:He&She torn his father's&mother's faces!
Minov=Tranquil attention obeys!It speaks about characteristic feature of person that describe
.SmileMore syllables i found more precise meanings are.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>