Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why do Hindu gods have many arms?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do Hindu gods have many arms?
    Posted: 08-Mar-2012 at 01:03
^^ lol
Garuda is an Eagle not Rooster.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2012 at 19:14
Having an extra pair of arms would be really useful. I could eat and play video games at the same time
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2012 at 13:46
I always thought they were the patron gods of Paperhangers.Big smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2012 at 19:38

I think it might have been Garuda, although my knowledge of Hinduism myth is limited to the books i read back in primary school
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2012 at 19:23
Wasn't there another Hindu god who had the head of a rooster?
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2012 at 09:40
Another one is Nandi, the Bull

He is Lord Shiva's Vehicle, his Gate Keeper and Army Chief. Also Master of Siddha Tradition.

Tracing its origins back to Indus Valley Civilization.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2012 at 20:09

Another animal-headed god was Varaha the boar, an incarnation of Vishnu. He saved the world from drowning by balancing it on his tusks
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2012 at 09:19
There are two famous gods with animal heads: Hanuman and Ganesha (South India: Pillaiyar)

Hanuman (monkey god): monkey god was originally worshiped as guard of goddess Vaishno in the Himalayas (in Himalayas you will still find monkeys in abundance). Then later in Classical age he was assosiated with the story of Rama.

Ganesha ( a god with a head of elephant): in Sanskrit there is one common name for elephant and snake that is naga. and Naga also means people who used to worship snakes and elephants. These Naga people were one of the main enemies of Vedic (Aryan) people. I believe worship of elephants and snakes is pre-Vedic tradition of India.

Edited by oxydracae - 03-Mar-2012 at 09:20
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2011 at 17:26
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2011 at 07:22
1234,Sorry about it we hurt your religion!Absence of knowledge we substituted with jokes.Regards.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2011 at 07:17
Oh where to start? These are all ancient manifestations of the divine. The animal forms are most ancient going back to a shamanistic time with a world inhabited by divine animal spirits which adepts would try to tap into when going into a trance. The many arms is as already been described, the ability of the deity to do many things and be in many places at once. The blue colour is most interesting, and I came across this when looking at Sumerian art. Some pieces use lapis lazuli in figures looking to the heavens. It was considered to have divine properties, lapis lazuli, and would have been seen this way over vast distances. Lapis Lazuli at the time, and still is now, was mined in Afghanistan, which is some distance even now.    
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
brian1234 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote brian1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2011 at 06:54
These facts are briefly described in Hindu mythology.Some gods or goddess have taken birth by the different breed like god may be general type and the goddess belongs to water bodies.At that time the child holds both the mix quality inherited to it.That's why it looks like different featured body.
http://ultimatemantrapack.com/
Nick View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2011 at 00:57

Hindu gods like Ganesh, Brahma and Varaha often have many arms. Some have animal heads.
Why are they depicted this way?

Dear Nick the Gods with many arms is not that tghose Gods existed in such a way and nor its a person of any kind as some people in above likes to make joke of. Aside from joke what you need to do is study Hindu symbolism. Although you asked a great question but the fact people in here might not be informed enough to give such explainations. BTW Ganesh, Brahma and Varaha are mostly south Indian Gods which is believed to be same as Shiva, Krishna and etc. Example of such symbolism includes the power they hold over people, over the planet or sometimes the Arms, magic and weapons they posses. 

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2011 at 01:11
Hypocrisy those days was less used than today!Rulers simple said:Be afraid of me cause I am mightiest here
Inside text I am working it ruler said:To first one will obey me immediately will protect property,water will reach dry soil of him...You be obedient,I will protect you.Same was with Gods...In fact before human image had become God,their role were, people would have been feared with  boogies!Color was part of this actor's role:describe your fear or wish with color!
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2011 at 16:28
Maybe you guys are looking too far into this. Maybe the colour doesn't have any historical explanation. Maybe it symbolizes something relating solely to the colour, same as red is symbolyses love and purple royalty. Blue is usually considered to represent calmness and serenity which are important concepts in eastern religions.
Timidi mater non flet
Tiger of Kai View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tiger of Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2011 at 15:50
Originally posted by Nick1986

What about the colored skin? Is it merely proof of their divine origins or is there another explanation?

I'll just re-post my hypothesis because it makes sense to me:

The blue skin stems from a story that Shiva saved humanity by swallowing a serpent's poison that was threatening all of existence. Since Shiva was a god, the poison did him no harm, but it stained his throat blue.

This seems like it's sorta similar to absolving sins in the Christian faith. Perhaps, the gods have blue skins because they are filled with the sins of their followers? That's just a guess.

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2011 at 11:29
Color revive statue and make it beautiful.As we have seen color also gives character and role of God in their
lives! 
Raja View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Raja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2011 at 10:33
Color could be symbolic way of saying they are divine/eternal/infinite etc., Normally Vishnu and all his incarnations depicted in blue/dark-blue or dusky , Shiva blue/Copper/white with blue neck and his consort Kali mostly always in dark. Yama the god of death in Green.

If you trash all mythology and consider them as historical figures then very well they may be dark in color OR Symbolic way of  associating them with Divinity or associating them with their Super human nature.

Best Regards,
Raja.

Edited by Raja - 28-Apr-2011 at 10:55
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2011 at 10:13
Osiris was green to show that he was dead. But of course his death and revival was also linked to the agricultural cult.
Timidi mater non flet
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2011 at 00:29
Here i found expected results:
http://www.pitarau.com/indian_baby_names/All/Colour
color was also part of other Eurasian sculptures from ancient period.Most of them have lost their color from
touches and weather conditions.Sphinx is best example  of ancient  statues  painting.Osiris was green  colored as he was reviver of nature.After he was reborn New Year would have been started.

Edited by medenaywe - 28-Apr-2011 at 00:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>