Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old West History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old West History
    Posted: 18-Mar-2011 at 13:57
I think i started something similar 5-6 years ago then drfited off to another forum.

But I will begin it again here as I expect there might be some interest or interest re-newed by newer members. Hope so and I hope you find the updated links and article etc. interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fascinating era I have studied a long time. I have on other forums started a similar thread which is informative and requires no direct replys but they are always welcome. And hopefully to stimulate dialogue on the transformational events that occured in the varied aspects of American developement and society during the era, post revolutionary war up to 1899.

As such i'll post some links to some fine sites-very informative and hope the membership brings their posts and comments here as relates to this most intriguing era in US history.

Again....Looking forward to your input.. links and comments...and I hope you enjoy the articles etc. I intend to provide.

Thanks.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2011 at 14:02
As noted elsewhere....for most Americans the era of the 'Old or Wild West' begins with the LA purchase and then the L/C expedition. But it really begins with the earlier French and British expeditions into the interior to conduct intercourse and commerce with the natives.

And following hard on that was the movement from the tidewater out onto the applachian plateau. And the man that did that and draws the most attention is when:

"D. Boon Cilled a. Bar [killed a bear] on [this] tree in the year 1760".

Daniel Boone

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 18-Mar-2011 at 14:13

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2011 at 14:10
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

As noted elsewhere....for most Americans the era of the 'Old or Wild West' begins with the LA purchase and then the L/C expedition. But it really begins with the earlier French and British expeditions into the interior to conduct intercourse and commerce with the natives.

And following hard on that was the movement from the tidewater out onto the applachian plateau. And the man that did that and draws the most attention is when:

Daniel Boone

If I didn't state before I will now.... there is no chrono approach here on my part as I have found that some, if interested at all, will contibute or like to know more about this or that or this again.
And not be tied down to a American History 101 version-approach (Which I've taught).

So jump in and post what you like.

Old west outlaws and lawmen run a hot  flavor for many. Fur Trappers and explorers and mountainmen for others. Prostitutes (aka camp followers) and the creation of the inter-continental rail systems and the associated Chinese labor are interesting for some....Riverboats...the Pony Express...the telegraph.....making rotgut whiskey...mining and 'rushes'....farming...natural disasters of the time...school marms and circuit preaches...establishment of courts.....development of towns and cities...and invariably the tragic conflicts with natives and their major participants and leaders.

There are hundreds more. As noted I started with the LP/LC.. what essentially was before that and still ongoing for another 50 years was the fur trade and the Mountainmen who were an instruemental part in assisting in the developement of it and the marketing of the product by the numerous companies that sprang forth certainly by 1825.

With that in mind here's a general link on the Fur Trade of America in the time refered to as the 'Old West' and even previous during what's refererd to as the French and Britiish eras..

'Remember your Regiment'

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 18-Mar-2011 at 14:11

S. T. Friedman

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2011 at 18:27
Thanks for the very good post above!

Just give me sometime to assimilate it?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2011 at 17:35

S. T. Friedman

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2011 at 17:43
comic books heroes from my youth.Never have been on my mind,they had lived ever. 
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2011 at 19:11
Ah yes...well the men descibed in the work above were not comic book hero's. They were real and while it's true that much early style pulp fiction was written about them by varying sources and for varying reasons; their actual lives and deeds far out weighed that. They were and still are 'real life adventurers and hero's of the era in which they lived. As real and courageous and full of faults as a Alexander in his day.

thanks.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2011 at 13:46
Here's another classic reference for one of the most famous of them all...the legendary bear wrestling Hugh Glass.....

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 20-Mar-2011 at 13:47

S. T. Friedman

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2011 at 09:49
I'm looking for anything regarding "Great Ed Titchnell".  He is sometimes refferred to as the Last of the Mountain Men.       He also was listed in Ripley's for shaving with a double bit Axe. That skill, plus being able to put one rifle ball on top of the other at 100 yards when he was in his 80's [no sights, no glasses] made him a popular attraction at County fairs.  He lived with his indian wife in a place where no one lives now.  It's called the Dolly Sods, or the West Virginia Highlands.  With all of this known of him, I have yet to find a picture or historical ref. 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2011 at 14:51
Originally posted by red clay

I'm looking for anything regarding "Great Ed Titchnell".  He is sometimes refferred to as the Last of the Mountain Men.       He also was listed in Ripley's for shaving with a double bit Axe. That skill, plus being able to put one rifle ball on top of the other at 100 yards when he was in his 80's [no sights, no glasses] made him a popular attraction at County fairs.  He lived with his indian wife in a place where no one lives now.  It's called the Dolly Sods, or the West Virginia Highlands.  With all of this known of him, I have yet to find a picture or historical ref. 

I know of the Dolly Sods (been backpacking through there) (that is somekinda old hard rockBig smile..quite pretty.... not terribly tough but can be rough country for the novice) but never heard of Mr. Titchnell. But with a rep like that Big smileI'll do some work on it RC.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2011 at 02:44
If you want to know about the history of the famed Pony Express...here's the link.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2011 at 16:42
And was caused it's downfall and the reduction of mail movement by stage and freight, less bulk?

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 27-Mar-2011 at 16:43

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2011 at 14:30
And it once crossed my home...and while I currently live in NM; I am never far from this place.....it hurts not to be there.

The love of the high lonesome loneome and places that entail... is hard to explain but once you've been there you understand the attraction. Someome once wrote ''magnficent desolation''...think it was Aldrin in describing the moon; iirc.....so it is with the Llano.

hell of a bunch of history here...............

"The Llano Estacado"

http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/geol/llano.htm

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 31-Mar-2011 at 14:31

S. T. Friedman

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2011 at 08:51
A bunch of History, you bet.  The Original name for the Clovis Culture was the Llano Culture. You could say it's ground zero for history.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2011 at 02:23
One of the early reconn expeditions to cross the plains and always a favorite study of mine.

Here's a excellent link with sublinks to much out of date publication of several participants.

Enjoy the look.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2011 at 17:16
The evolution of a state......

Wanna read about what the oldtimers thought about Tejas?

Here ya go.

=============================================
THE EVOLUTION OF A STATE
OR

RECOLLECTIONS OF OLD TEXAS DAYS

by Noah Smithwick

=====================================

http://www.oldcardboard.com/lsj/olbooks/smithwic/otd.htm

S. T. Friedman

unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2011 at 12:49
You know I love this stuff, keep em coming!
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2011 at 17:41
Newspapers of the Old West

http://www.historybuff.com/library/refoldwest.html

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2011 at 19:12
The West thru the eyes of an Artist

Not just indespenseable.... but brillant.

George Catlin.

http://americanart.si.edu/catlin/highlights.html

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 28-Apr-2011 at 19:13

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 15:48
The Mining Era
We know about it predominately as a result of the California experience and the subsequent mining of Silver in Nevada, and numerous minerals to include Gold and Silver up in Dakota Terr and Colorado... as well as Alaska and the associated phenomena known as a 'gold rush'..

The Movies and the TV (Most recently series like Deadwood) have given us a portion of the romance and the violence; and the legendary Mark Twain shared it's humor...but the reality of mining is not one of fun and games.

And altho the earliest work was essentially 'placer' style, the serious work that occured in Colorado, and Montana and elsewhere, ie. Gold, Silver, Copper, Zinc and even later Uranium... included that legendary type that is associated with coal mining....hard rock mining which had been going on before gold, back east and later in the west.

Hot, dirty and dangerous, miners like fireman, are a breed apart... cuz if a cave-in or gas explosion, or flooding, or them pesky red brethern of mine; hanging around, to get ya scalp, after you got it out of the ground wasn't bad enough....

There was always something else to worry about. Like train wrecks and blizzards, no food, bad whiskey (altho personaly no such thing exsists in my opinion), mules giving out, or catching the clap. Big Grin

Such was the life, of those, as the 'Spirit of Christmas present' once said: "they that go deep and toil in the bowels of the earth..."Smile

So with no further ado, have at the following link and the many subs it provides and enjoy learning about the 'rushes, conditions, locations, social impact, economic growth, immigration' and much, much, more.

CV

http://www.vlib.us/americanwest/mining.htm

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 04-May-2011 at 15:51

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>