Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAfricas Role in World History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Africas Role in World History
    Posted: 15-Jun-2005 at 08:46

Wow.  Very impressive!!!  I am wondering to know are you planning to write about their overall of the political systems present and how unstable are governments in Africa today?  If so, what political challenges does they face?

Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 06:07
Hueyi and HistoryGal05, thanks for the kind words.  Chapter 8 is now complete.  Called "Wind of Change," it covers Africa from 1914 to 1965 A.D.  The following topics/events are included:

World War I
Troubles in the Italian Empire
The Beginnings of African Nationalism
The Rif War and Maghreb Nationalism
The Road to World War II Passed Through Ethiopia
The Liberation of French Africa
The See-Saw Struggle in North Africa
Decolonization Begins
North Africa Rejoins the Arab World
The Algerian War
The Mau Mau Rebellion
"The African Year": Independence Below the Sahara
The Congo Crisis
South Africa and Rhodesia: Segregation Forever

Check it out at

http://xenohistorian.faithweb.com/africa/af08.html .

To answer HistoryGal05's question, yes, I'm planning one more paper for the last forty years.  I don't see how I'm going to do it without mentioning modern politics.  When you think about it, the only difference between history and current events is that one happened in the past, and the other is happening now.  Because I was a kid forty years ago, all the events covered in a final chapter of this work will have happened in my lifetime.  I can remember when things we now think of as history were considered "current events," from the Nigerian-Biafran War to the downfall of apartheid.  Anyway, enjoy the new paper!

Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
kermit_criminal View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 00:42
Africa was isolated from the rest of the civilized world with the vast expanses of the Sahara desert preventing much exchange to go on between Africa and Eurasia. Black or partly-black people however played a huge role in history from India, to Southeast Asia to the Americas. They intermarried and mixed as people normally do which is why we never neccesarily hear about asian "black history" but the history of local peoples who had black blood in them like the Khmer's of Cambodia, Indians, Arabs, Egyptians, and even native americans with the Olmec civilization and native Panamanians
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 10:39
Black Southeast Asians are called "Negritos."  Today you'll only find them in the most remote locations, like the jungles of Indonesia and the Philippines, but before 1000 B.C. they had everything south of the Yangtze River to themselves.  Then various ethnic groups began moving south from China, usually to escape the expanding Chinese; first the Malayo-Polynesians, then the Vietnamese, Tibeto-Burmans, and Mon-Khmers.  All of them displaced the Negritos as they advanced.  The Chinese themselves arrived in the neighborhood of Canton during the Qin dynasty (221-207 B.C.), and finally the Thais moved in between the eighth and thirteenth century A.D.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
kermit_criminal View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 18:26

Originally posted by Berosus

Black Southeast Asians are called "Negritos."  Today you'll only find them in the most remote locations, like the jungles of Indonesia and the Philippines, but before 1000 B.C. they had everything south of the Yangtze River to themselves.  Then various ethnic groups began moving south from China, usually to escape the expanding Chinese; first the Malayo-Polynesians, then the Vietnamese, Tibeto-Burmans, and Mon-Khmers.  All of them displaced the Negritos as they advanced.  The Chinese themselves arrived in the neighborhood of Canton during the Qin dynasty (221-207 B.C.), and finally the Thais moved in between the eighth and thirteenth century A.D.

Pure asiatic blacks are negritos, but Austronesians in general are basically a mix of northern mongoloid and negritos, that is why alot of them have curly(not nappy however) hair, darker skin, rounder noses and are of shorter stature. This also explains the shorter stature and slightly darker skin of cantonese chinese, seeing as how the region was the birthplace of the austronesian people. It is clear to see by the ankor watt statues that the people who built the temple.. as the present combodians today ... were a mix of sino-tibetan and negrito.. ie. austronesian. Indians today are a mix of caucasians and black dravidians.

Edited by kermit_criminal
Turkic10 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 17:08
It is a pity that more is not known about the Swahili civilization. Thanks to the Portuguese blasting their main island city to rubble on their way to the orient the civilization appears to have ended after that. The Swahili were influential enough that their language became the second language for much of Africa. They appear to have had trade some of the eastern world. Relics from Asia have been found in the African interior that caused western archeologists to invent reasons for their being there since there was a mind set that the Africans couldn't possibly have been advanced enough to have trade with Asia.
Admonish your friends privately, praise them publicly.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 19:44
Indeed, Swahili city states are my current field of study.  Even a single one of those cities had enough Dhows to spread influence.  ANd dont forget, its not only th ePOrtugese.  I bet most eastern Africans would hate first the Arabs, especially the slave traders from Arabia who took more slaves from Africa than the combined nations of Europe.  When Zanzibar joined Tanganyka to form Tanzania the people rose up and killed the Arabs by the thousands.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Moustafa Pasha View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 10:39

The history of Africa is plagued by western colonialism. Which is the exploitation by a stronger counry  of a weaker one, the use of the weaker country's resources to strengthen and enrich the stronger.

The perfect example is British Colonialism  examplefied in the following article which shows how it  plundered the resources of Africa to enrich and streghten itself.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1552921,00.ht ml

More about colonialism

http://www.nmhschool.org/tthornton/mehistorydatabase/colonia lism_in_africa_and_the_mi.htm

Edited by Moustafa Pasha
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 00:04

Africa in general is hanging from the Sinai thread as its landbridge to the rest of the world. All around it otherwise is ocean. Africa had been a land of plenty.

NEED
Was there a NEED for Africans to expand beyond Africa?, cross the deserts, for what?
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 00:20
Africans did expand abroad. Today those Africans are called Whites, Asians, Amerindians, Australian Aboriguines, Turks, East Indians and many other names.

The great emigration happened just 60.000 years ago, or around 3.000 generations ago.

Pinguin

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 00:49
Originally posted by pinguin

Africans did expand abroad. Today those Africans are called Whites, Asians, Amerindians, Australian Aboriguines, Turks, East Indians and many other names.

The great emigration happened just 60.000 years ago, or around 3.000 generations ago.

Pinguin

Well, ..in that case, delving a little further back, it wouldn't be the expansion of Africans but of aquatic apes. Or maybe ..proto-Metazoans even.Wink
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 09:24
You bet, we are all descendents of bacteria diving in hot vocanic water Big%20smile

However, there is agreement that your, me and everyone else ancestors looked more or less like the Khoisan peoples. Interesting tribe, indeed, that although all have Black skin, some guys have Asian features and other Caucasoid.

Edited by pinguin - 17-Mar-2007 at 09:25
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 15:26

I am not comfortable with Darwin's version of racial theory. Nor the prescribed mechanisms for evolutionary change. It is an imprecise science in it's infancy IMO, we just don't know enough yet.

If the Khoisan survive along with everybody else, where do we bin the concept of the fittest. I am also in disagreement about their supposed Asian or Caucasoid features. Their features are fundamentally of  an African variance. In all cluster groups some have sharper features than others.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 19:02

If genetics say they are the original people is because there are scientific reasons to believe so. It is not a matter of guessing at all.

Today is not a matter of guessing anymore. Please take a look at the Genographic Project of the National Geographic, to get an update in the topic.

Regards,

Pinguin
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 21:22

Out of Africa is a popular hypothesis. With new specimens being found the ideas are being continuously reformed, it serves to keep a healthy skepticism alive, to avoid frustration, embarrassment, and reorientation in a previously held belief.

Consider 'Out of Asia' hypothesis. Hybrid speciation vs branching tree. . Then we have the big brain versus the small brain(bipedal(lucy)) and kenyanthropus platyops, who was the single linear ancestor of humans? mtDNA irregularities in inheritance, missing links. etc + Psychological projections onto hominid species a million years ago.

Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2007 at 02:50
Ghana Empire
Mali Empire
Songhai Empire
Kanuri Empire (lasted 1000 years in the heartland of the savannah)
Axumi Empire
Egyptian Empire
Carthiginian Empire
Garamantine Empire
Fatimid Empire
Al Muhaddis Empire
Hafsid Empire
Saadid Sultanate
Baghrawa Kingdom
Aghlabid Kingdom
Idrisid Empire
Mwenemotapa Empire
Kongo Empire

Matamba Kingdom
Maasina Kingdom
Sokoto Sultanate
Futa Toro Kingdom
Futa Jallon Kingdom
Mandara Kingdom
Benin Kingdom
Oyo Kingdom
Asante Kingdom
Kaarta Kingdom
Kaabu Kingdom
Rozvi Kingdom
Zulu Kingdom
Rwanda Kingdom
Burundi Kingdom
Alodia Kingdom
Maquria Kingdom
Nobia Kingdom
Adal Kingdom
Warsengali Kingdom
Ife Kingdom

The greater problem is lack of care on part of the Africans to go back to their histories.

Think of all the texts rotting in Timbuctu and Djenne as they busy themselves with useless bullshit. Killing each other, corruption, etc.
Mughal e Azam
SuN. View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2007 at 04:10
Originally posted by Tobodai

(although on AE I would nto be suprised is some idiots claimed Turks or Chinese were the first to have evolved from apes).

One of the best quotes I have read on AE. Very novel & thought provoking.
God is not great.
jdalton View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 00:00
North Africa has had numerous civilizations that affected or conquered territory on other continents (has anyone yet mentioned the Almoravids? From their base in the Western Sahara they briefly conquered Morocco, Spain, and Ghana- a vast territory even if most of the middle of it was uninhabitable desert).

Sub-Saharan Africa has only had one* such kingdom- Ethiopia. Sub-Saharan Africa was very isolated for most of its history. Remember, too, though, that Africa boasts two of the very small number of nations never conquered by Europeans or their descendants- Ethiopia (again) and Liberia.

But if the question is instead what impact has African culture had on the world, I would say, quite a lot and more than most people seem to give credit for. We all eat SS-African foods (coffee is my favourite though not the only one), and modern artists owe a large debt to African artists (just ask Picasso!) And don't forget African music. It took a long circuitous route from West Africa to covering the world today, but the influence traditional African music has had on every single modern genre of music is as ubiquitous as it is undeniable. That's not a half bad legacy I think.

*-I thought I read somewhere about Swahili Zanzibar briefly controlling Oman, but I can't find now where I read that, so I might have been wrong.

Edited by jdalton - 10-Nov-2007 at 00:02
Lords of Death and Life (a Mesoamerican webcomic)
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 00:54

I just wonder, besides coffee and cola nuts, which African foods are worldwide known? Bananas, for instance, came from Indonesia, and many other vegetables together with farm animals (goats, cows) were introduced to Africa.

I agree with the contribution in painting and music, though, particularly in Cubism, Jazz, Blues and Caribbean musics. That's very interesting.

Edited by pinguin - 10-Nov-2007 at 00:55
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 06:17
Originally posted by Mughaal

Ghana Empire
Mali Empire
Songhai Empire
Kanuri Empire (lasted 1000 years in the heartland of the savannah)
Axumi Empire
Egyptian Empire
Carthiginian Empire
Garamantine Empire
Fatimid Empire
Al Muhaddis Empire
Hafsid Empire
Saadid Sultanate
Baghrawa Kingdom
Aghlabid Kingdom
Idrisid Empire
Mwenemotapa Empire
Kongo Empire

Matamba Kingdom
Maasina Kingdom
Sokoto Sultanate
Futa Toro Kingdom
Futa Jallon Kingdom
Mandara Kingdom
Benin Kingdom
Oyo Kingdom
Asante Kingdom
Kaarta Kingdom
Kaabu Kingdom
Rozvi Kingdom
Zulu Kingdom
Rwanda Kingdom
Burundi Kingdom
Alodia Kingdom
Maquria Kingdom
Nobia Kingdom
Adal Kingdom
Warsengali Kingdom
Ife Kingdom

The greater problem is lack of care on part of the Africans to go back to their histories.

Think of all the texts rotting in Timbuctu and Djenne as they busy themselves with useless bullshit. Killing each other, corruption, etc.

Good point. I would also like to point out, that most of those empires, were larger than most European kingdoms and or empires. 

Edited by Penelope - 10-Nov-2007 at 07:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>