Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhere black africans savages prior to colonization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: where black africans savages prior to colonization
    Posted: 27-Sep-2012 at 00:20
Hmm, it's certainly dangerous to presume that all of Black Africa is savage and barbaric, but the still recent war in Sierra Leone, which included incidents of cannibalism among the Kamajors, which were likely less barbaric than the conduct of the RUF troops, hardly gives reason to presume that Africa's reputation for savage behaviour is ill-earned.

Africa is what it is. For anyone interested in a snapshot of that war, Tony Geraghty's Soldiers of Fortune captures it well in Chapter 9, entitled: Sierra Leone 1997-8: A Less Than Ethical Foreign Policy
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2012 at 20:18
Africans weren't the only ones who practised cannibalism. In wartime Russia and Germany there were several cases of people surviving on the flesh of the dead. The Japanese ate human flesh from prisoners even when they weren't short of food
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2012 at 23:10
Yes, but those cases are considered in extremis. The African practice arises from a sense of power. I can kill you whenever I want, and I can eat your flesh. Save the PC verbiage for someone else. I had a Zairian officer look me in the eye and tell me that, and he wasn't bluffing.

The difference is that one is 'resorting to' cannibalism, and the other is 'practicing' cannibalism.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2012 at 19:07
The Africans weren't the only ones who believed that eating dead enemies gave you their power. The Indians ate the hearts of defeated foes, and the Aztecs and Maori honored particularly brave enemies by consuming their flesh
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2012 at 16:52
Nick, I did not mean that Africans ate their fellow humans to acquire their power. I said that killing and cannibalism was an exercise in power' I.e., I can do  this to you because I have the power to do so. You might watch the opening scenes of that 1970s movie "The Naked Runner", which is loosely based on the life of Frederick Selous. And, unlike most 'African' adventure  movies, was actually filmed on site. Notice the entire village partaking in the killing, and the 'mudman' being prepped and roasted.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2012 at 19:24
Sounds like my sort of film.Smile I'll do a search for it on youtube
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 10:11
THIS is a recent event in Nigeria. Where 4 innocent university undergraduates between the ages of 19 and 22  were Lynched. stripped naked and Beaten to pulp,  put car Tyre on them ,poured petrol and burnt to death, videoed  and posted online. They were accused of stealing cell phone and a computer Laptop. But it was even a false allegation. Nigeria is where any one could lay false allegation on you and get you killed  by mob like what happened to these kids... Below is the BBC report about it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-19869492

http://naijagists.com/the-day-the-sun-wept-at-aluu-dedicated-to-4-uniport-students-killed-in-port-harcourt/

Now if such savagery  is still happening today in AFRICA would it not be a worse case prior to the advent of Europeans ?
Izon_Otu
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2012 at 08:18
Originally posted by Boma

THIS is a recent event in Nigeria. Where 4 innocent university undergraduates between the ages of 19 and 22  were Lynched. stripped naked and Beaten to pulp,  put car Tyre on them ,poured petrol and burnt to death, videoed  and posted online. They were accused of stealing cell phone and a computer Laptop. But it was even a false allegation. Nigeria is where any one could lay false allegation on you and get you killed  by mob like what happened to these kids... Below is the BBC report about it.

http://naijagists.com/the-day-the-sun-wept-at-aluu-dedicated-to-4-uniport-students-killed-in-port-harcourt/

Now if such savagery  is still happening today in AFRICA would it not be a worse case prior to the advent of Europeans ?

Similar acts of savagery happen in Europe and America where the government is weak. Take last summer's London rioters, or Americans lynching blacks during the 19th century. Everyone (not just Africans) has the potential to do bad things
Ekundayo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2012 at 11:42

[/QUOTE]
Similar acts of savagery happen in Europe and America where the government is weak. Take last summer's London rioters, or Americans lynching blacks during the 19th century. Everyone (not just Africans) has the potential to do bad things
[/QUOTE]

Not even 19th century for the U.S.! When was it, late 90's? The poor black guy walking home in Texas who got chained and drug behind the pickup truck with three racist psychos behind the wheel?
http://www.racematters.org/nytarchjb161.htm
They beat then chained and drug him until hit a drainage ditch and his head came off. Sickening, disgusting. In my opinion, savagery is more an example like this, in a modern *civilized* country where people have access to good food, education, employment, police, road police and ambulance services, hospitals that function etc, but yet they still find a way to foul it up and make a mess of other peoples lives by killing, raping, torturing. At least in Nigeria you can almost find excuses for the peoples behavior or at least the root causes of such horrible deeds. What is the excuse in the U.S.? Just pure hatred, evil and racism.

"When you allow man's decisions to touch you, you have given away your God-given power,You have to say:"I don't recognize man as my maker or my keeper."Have faith in God and you will be rewarded."ESU
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2012 at 15:39
Originally posted by Nick1986

Originally posted by Boma

The  question is... WERE AFRICANS  SAVAGES  PRIOR TO COLONIZATION  ?  It was not about other places ... AND  THE ANSWER  IS  YES  They  were SAVAGES. I know of  many AFRICAN clans distinct from the AFRICANS of today  that were  KILLED out  by other invading tribes. Meaning many Tribes of AFRICA  are extinct due to Tribal war  where some tribes  actually hunt for others  for meal  , sacrifice  or just destroyed to take over their territory.
Izon_Otu
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2012 at 22:48
Ekundayo, I don't think anyone would argue against the idea that incidents of savagery can be found in all cultures. The thread seems to be about era when savagery was the norm, not the exception. And in Africa, that appears to be the case South of the Sahara prior to the colonial age, though there were ares of exception. It would appear that where there is a rule of law, whether that be en empire or tribal area, barbarism is more restrained. However the Final Solution of the IIIrd Reich in Germany is certainly an example of barbarism being condoned in one of the most civilized nations in Europe under cover of a rule of law.   

The colonial age in Africa ushered in concepts of nationhood and law that many African states have been unable to fulfill, and the post-colonial period has seen a reversion to barbarism in many, but harly all, of those area.

At times I think that Nick is overly politically correct in his attempts to explain away the causes of a pattern of behaviour that is nothing less than savage. Africa is what it is, as as you post demonstrates, it is not some genetic trait, but a darker side of humanity that is more prevalent in some societies that others. As as the IIIrd Reich demonstrated. Having risen above such conduct is no guarantee that a society cannot slip back into it.

Edited by lirelou - 11-Oct-2012 at 22:49
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2012 at 22:54
An example of a cultural norm within an African Army. An acquaintance of mine who was an officer in the Zimbabwean Army absent on a training course abroad explained to me that when he returned to his battalion, he would have to physically beat several of his subordinates to remind them that he could still do so, and therefore had mastery over them. This beating would be in response to a challenge from the subordinate, perhaps in the form of outright subordination, or in an assault or threat of an assault. And that if he did not succeed in beating this challenger, he would lose the respect of those who were his subordinates.

In Western Armies, we have a system of military justice to insulate commanders against such challenges to their authority.
Ekundayo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2012 at 02:56

[/QUOTE]
The  question is... WERE AFRICANS  SAVAGES  PRIOR TO COLONIZATION  ?  It was not about other places ... AND  THE ANSWER  IS  YES  They  were SAVAGES. I know of  many AFRICAN clans distinct from the AFRICANS of today  that were  KILLED out  by other invading tribes. Meaning many Tribes of AFRICA  are extinct due to Tribal war  where some tribes  actually hunt for others  for meal  , sacrifice  or just destroyed to take over their territory.
[/QUOTE]

LOL Dang Dude!  You're starting to make me think you are embodying the very point you are so belaboring.
"When you allow man's decisions to touch you, you have given away your God-given power,You have to say:"I don't recognize man as my maker or my keeper."Have faith in God and you will be rewarded."ESU
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2012 at 11:28
Originally posted by lirelou

An example of a cultural norm within an African Army. An acquaintance of mine who was an officer in the Zimbabwean Army absent on a training course abroad explained to me that when he returned to his battalion, he would have to physically beat several of his subordinates to remind them that he could still do so, and therefore had mastery over them. This beating would be in response to a challenge from the subordinate, perhaps in the form of outright subordination, or in an assault or threat of an assault. And that if he did not succeed in beating this challenger, he would lose the respect of those who were his subordinates.

In Western Armies, we have a system of military justice to insulate commanders against such challenges to their authority.

Now I do not think that would be correct cos ZIMBABWE  was a British colony and matter of  fact the last of the colonies to gain independence so The British in them is still very fresh. All the common wealth of which ZIMBABWE is one  have the same military formation and discipline  . The army was set up by the British. They have court marshal  and all that and there is no HORSE PLAYING. NO ROOM FOR BULLYING TO GAIN ANY FORM OF RESPECT. THE military of the Anglophone Countries of AFRICA  today are the best disciplined.
Izon_Otu
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2012 at 11:53
Boma, in re your: "THE military of the Anglophone Countries of AFRICA  today are the best disciplined."

While that may be true as a generality, it does not necessarily hold true with all of Africa's Anglophone countries. I should have pointed out that that conversaion took place over twenty years ago, which would have been closer to the British experience.  

Are you arguing that today's Zimbabwe has an Armed Forces they can be proud of? Then who is committing the barbarities that Zimbabweans experience when trying to vote the "Old Crocodile" out of office? Even if Party militias, the question arises: What are the Armed Forces doing? And if nothing, why?
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2012 at 18:08
In fact, Africans were not "savages" -their civilizations were quite sophisticated in many ways, but they peaked before the arrival of Europeans and presented a picture of simple people, but the ruins all over Africa say otherwise.

The Great Fortress of Zimbabwe was built long before European savages even thought about building fortresses out of solid stone, and reveals a degree of sophistication not seen again until until the great stone fortresses of Europe and the Crusades.

Irrigation systems in desert lands were highly sophisticated and still exist - and function - to this day.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2012 at 19:32
Originally posted by Mountain Man

In fact, Africans were not "savages" -their civilizations were quite sophisticated in many ways, but they peaked before the arrival of Europeans and presented a picture of simple people, but the ruins all over Africa say otherwise.

The Great Fortress of Zimbabwe was built long before European savages even thought about building fortresses out of solid stone, and reveals a degree of sophistication not seen again until until the great stone fortresses of Europe and the Crusades.

Irrigation systems in desert lands were highly sophisticated and still exist - and function - to this day.

The question is WHY did they have fortress  ? civilization is a progression from savagery  don't forget. So if you think AFRICANS  were not  savages tell me why a people  would want to build fortress to protect  themselves . Of course  even animals  build some kind of fortress  for protection and that is cos  another Animal wants to eat them or  harm them. In fact such fortress is an evidence of the savage  nature of AFRICA past cos they the group that built fortress  did so to protect themselves  from cannibals . The savagery in ZIMBO is  stil there as we  type. You remember what the SHONA  did to innocent Ndebele during their  presidential election ? Europeans in the early days were savages  too just as  Chinese people were.. The simple question here is.. WERE  AFRICANS  SAVAGES  BEFORE  COLONIALISM ? YES  they were .
Izon_Otu
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2012 at 08:45

Take the ancient Egyptians, for example. They built magnificent pyramids, temples and cities while Europeans still lived in mud huts and wore animal skins

Edited by Nick1986 - 14-Oct-2012 at 08:46
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2012 at 17:57
Originally posted by Nick1986

Take the ancient Egyptians, for example. They built magnificent pyramids, temples and cities while Europeans still lived in mud huts and wore animal skins

Uhm !! Ancient Egyptians ? The Ancient Egyptians became cannibals  after their destruction by the ARABS. The few that survived are mostly in Nigeria today with no knowledge of their origin. What happened ? They lost every thing including the civilization their forefathers  started  and became savages .
Izon_Otu
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2012 at 09:49
Every civilisation eventually collapses Boma. Take Britain after the fall of Rome, where few people could read and there was widespread conflict with the Saxon invaders
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>