Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Muslim Devastation of India

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Muslim Devastation of India
    Posted: 28-Jun-2010 at 13:41

This article is based on my research and yes the invasion of India by Islam, both Arabs and Turks, was brutal. They were far worse than the invasions into the Persian Empire, North Africa and Spain, since they were people of the books. The Indians were mostly Hindu and assorted other pagan religions. In my opinion it was fueled as much by human greed and the need for power as by religion. The Communist really have a worse track record for abuse but I say this because this is only about the Islamic invasions of India so please no veering off topic to point the finger elsewhere, like I see so many times when the topic is about Islam. Do you believe the Islamic invasions of India were that brutal or do you believe this is an exaggeration by the Kufar? Any veering to blame other groups will be deleted if it is unrelated to this topic or an attempt to divert the attention of the main thesis. I will try and be fair and just but don’t test me. Cyrus I request your attention on this as well.

http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.com/2010/06/muslim-devastation-of-india.html
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2010 at 17:46
The first wave of arab invasion was not brutal at all, infact the earliests muslims came to south india as missionaries, there is no record of any war or any thing violence there, the oldest mosque in india is in south india. The main violence in India begins after central asians and afghans began to invade, and yes many of them were brutal. You can't blame islam for this because a lot these central invaders were greedy warlords, they were always violent, even way before islam. I doubt they knew about islam that much to begin with.

Edited by balochii - 30-Jun-2010 at 17:47
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2010 at 18:48
I agree with balochii. Eaglecap is paranoid, just look at his blog. Anyways, it was more the people who invaded India than the religion they abided by. Furthermore, India went through a golden age under Islam.
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2010 at 11:21

balochii - I don't agree and I have seen enough primary and secondary sources that have brought to this conclusion. I find that Muslims are often in denial or they try the blame game and divert it to another group like Christians. Missionaries, Indonesia is a good example of this but not India. The origins of the gypsies began with the Islamic invasions of India.

Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

I agree with balochii. Eaglecap is paranoid, just look at his blog. Anyways, it was more the people who invaded India than the religion they abided by. Furthermore, India went through a golden age under Islam.

TGS the great researcher- Is this all you can do is name call? Anyone who does not agree with TGS should be called names or it sure seems that way.

I believe Islam fueled the invasions but greed and the need to control others or power fueled it even more, so I would agree that, yes, it was influenced by human nature. There are peaceful Muslims but if you look at the core beliefs of Islam, it is ... well you figure it out!

My next article is going to be about the aftermath of the Fourth Crusade and influences the Roman Catholic Church had on this atrocity.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2010 at 12:29
^ all of your sources are probably from hindu radical websites, the first waves of muslims who came to india were non violent, infact the proof of this is that the islamic presence was hardly felt in India up until the 11th or 12th century when central asians started to invade. Muslims came to India in the 7th century, they were missionaries in south india, even hindu south indians agree with this. Then came Muhamad bin Qasim to Sindh, there was no mass conversion of anyone and the proof of this is that almost 95% or more of sindh remained hindu after the arabs left.

Then after the 11th century, central asian started to invade and yes that was violent, no one is denying this. But again Islam may have only played a little role in this, central asians have always invaded india or other areas violently, They have always been warlike, till this day.

Edited by balochii - 01-Jul-2010 at 12:36
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2010 at 12:54
Originally posted by balochii

^ all of your sources are probably from hindu radical websites, the first waves of muslims who came to india were non violent, infact the proof of this is that the islamic presence was hardly felt in India up until the 11th or 12th century when central asians started to invade. Muslims came to India in the 7th century, they were missionaries in south india, even hindu south indians agree with this. Then came Muhamad bin Qasim to Sindh, there was no mass conversion of anyone and the proof of this is that almost 95% or more of sindh remained hindu after the arabs left.

Then after the 11th century, central asian started to invade and yes that was violent, no one is denying this. But again Islam may have only played a little role in this, central asians have always invaded india or other areas violently, They have always been warlike, till this day.

We can agree to disagree!
Both the Arab and Turkish invasions were brutal but I put most of the blame on human greed and power vs. Islam. Islam fueld the brutality but humanity if full of examples of brutality, with or witout religion. I do agree that the Seljuk Turk invasion was worse. Conversion spared many the wrath of the invaders.

The Same can be found in Byzantine and Persian sources. These are not Hindu sources so don't assume things but you are entitled to your opinion.

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2010 at 13:29
Some months ago, I visited India, one of the first things that our tour guide said to us was "Keep away from Muslims in this country", I think the Muslim quarter of Delhi is the most dangerous place in India, I just know that there is the largest market of stolen goods!
Islamic culture can be certainly considered as a brutal culture for people who even don't kill animals, Hindus are really the most peaceful people in the world, millions of Hindus and followers of other religions in India could be killed by the violence which exists in the Islamic culture, not just by Arabs or Turks, but mostly by Indian Muslims.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2010 at 13:46
Originally posted by eaglecap

TGS the great researcher- Is this all you can do is name call? Anyone who does not agree with TGS should be called names or it sure seems that way.

Calling you paranoid isnt calling you names. I'm merely inferring on the fact that you believe there is an imminent threat from the Islamic religion.

Maybe if you do some actual objective research yourself, your history blog wouldnt be so biased. It certainly doesnt help that you have this on the logo: "At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe. We are in a new phase of a very old war."

I believe Islam fueled the invasions but greed and the need to control others or power fueled it even more, so I would agree that, yes, it was influenced by human nature. There are peaceful Muslims but if you look at the core beliefs of Islam, it is ... well you figure it out!

Ok, so dont imply that it was Islam that led to the devastation, it was merely human nature and the time period that this happened, where it was a common thing to massacre people and cause destruction, especially common amongst nomadic invaders.

If you re-read my comment, I was making that very exact point:

Anyways, it was more the people who invaded India than the religion they abided by.

Contrary to what you say, Islam and Muslims actually led India to a golden age. Now, the title of your thread says the Muslim devastation of India, but did Islam have anything to do with the destruction? Absolutely not, it was simply the nature of war at the time.

Did the Mongol's religion have anything to do with the destruction they caused throughout Asia? No. Did the Huns religion have anything to do with the destruction they caused? No. I could go on and on and on...

I'm no fan of religion, I'm also no fan of distinguishing one religion from another.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 01-Jul-2010 at 13:51
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2010 at 13:47
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Some months ago, I visited India, one of the first things that our tour guide said to us was "Keep away from Muslims in this country", I think the Muslim quarter of Delhi is the most dangerous place in India, I just know that there is the largest market of stolen goods!
Islamic culture can be certainly considered as a brutal culture for people who even don't kill animals, Hindus are really the most peaceful people in the world, millions of Hindus and followers of other religions in India could be killed by the violence which exists in the Islamic culture, not just by Arabs or Turks, but mostly by Indian Muslims.

Thanks Cyrus
I can understand their fear and why India and Pakistan seperated. Hindu are generally peaceful but their caste system is wrong and if a Hindu converts to say Christianity or even Islam then you will see the radical side of the Hindu faith but this is about the Islamic invasion of India, so I will not dwell on this. I would rather see peaceful relations between India and Islam but that is not reality and their history speaks volumes. Many converted to Islam to get out of the caste system and also to save their lives. Later on they were allowed to pay the Jizya tax like people of the Book did but they were still second class citizens. At least they could keep their faith at that point!

These are the sources used:

1.     Spencer, Robert. “Jihad group claims credit for India blast” Reuters (2008)        http://www.jihadwatch.org/2008/07/jihad-group-claims-credit-for-india-blast.html
2.     Will Durant, Our Oriental Heritage, (Simon and Schuster: New York, 1954), 459
2.     (Durant 1954, 460)
     2.     (Durant 1954, 460)

3.       Lal, K.S. 2000. “Muslims Invade India. Ed Dr. Andrew Bostom ( Prometheus books), 433
3.      (Lal, 2000, 434)
3.      (Lal, 2000, 435)
3.      (Lal, 2000, 436)
3.      (Lal, 2000, 436)
3.      (Lal, 2000, 436)
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2010 at 13:52

Calling you paranoid isnt calling you names. I'm merely inferring on the fact that you believe there is an imminent threat from the Islamic religion.

Ok, so dont imply that it was Islam that led to the devastation, it was merely human nature and the time period that this happened, where it was a common thing to massacre people and cause destruction, especially common amongst nomadic invaders.Contrary to what you say, Islam and Muslims actually led India to a golden age.

I said Islam fueld these invasion so you cannot seperate it from human nature. Man will always find an excuse for violence against his fellow man and afterall they were only following the examples of Muhammad. I am sure Alexander the Great had his reason. A Golden Age- baloney! India was already at the height of culture and civilization. Will Durant covers this in his great volume- Indian history.

show me your sources to back this up- I am always open

Mongol- From what I have read there was a period of tolerance during the Mongol period but still the non-Muslims of India were dhimmi.

Edited by eaglecap - 01-Jul-2010 at 13:55
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2010 at 13:56

I said Islam fueld these invasion so you cannot seperate it from human nature.

Yes you can, as religion is a by product of human nature, but the invaders may have invaded on the pretext of religion (as all the holy books say, you must kill the infidels and take their land) but it was more greed and the nature of war at the time that led to the devastation, not Islam itself.

Man will always find an excuse for violence against his fellow man and afterall they were only following the examples of Muhammad.

Or the Israelites? You know how the Old Testament feels about infidels.

I am sure Alexander the Great had his reason.

Power and glory

A Golden Age- baloney! India was already at the height of culture and civilization. Will Durant covers this in his great volume- Indian history.

show me your sources to back this up- I am always open

The Indian economy peaked during the Mughal era. Some of the greatest architectural achievements were made during the Mughal era. The Mughal prosperity did not last long due to infighting and colonialism, but it was certainly India at its height.

Mongol- From what I have read there was a period of tolerance during the Mongol period but still the non-Muslims of India were dhimmi.

Yea, a period of tolerance after the Mongols had already devastated the entire continent and killed millions of people, and like you said, the conquerors of India also became more tolerant after their victories.

---------------

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the devastation you are talking about is more of a result of the nature of nomadic tribes and their warfare at the time. Nomadic central asian tribes were especially brutal in warfare. It has little do with Islam, it was the way they lived before Islam. And it was the Turks and Mongols who did most of the destruction, Arabs were barely a factor later on in Islamic history. Islamic armies were mostly made up of Turks and other nomadic tribes.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 01-Jul-2010 at 13:59
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2010 at 15:41
Islam is not just a religion, it has also an important political role in the Islamic societies, you can hardly find anything like Jihad in other religions, so you can't compare Muslims who make Jihad against the Infidel nations to Mongols and other peoples who invade for other purposes.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2010 at 16:33
Ditto!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2010 at 22:07

Islam is not just a religion, it has also an important political role in the Islamic societies,

Thats because most Islamic societies today are not completely secular. Islam has no political role in Turkey, where completely secularism exists.

you can hardly find anything like Jihad in other religions, so you can't compare Muslims who make Jihad against the Infidel nations to Mongols and other peoples who invade for other purposes.

There is something like Jihad in Christianity, its called a Crusade. Its the exact same concept as a Jihad.

Furthermore, Muslim armies were driven more by greed and personal gain than spreading Islam. The average soldier only cared about the rewards, and the leaders the glory.

The argument you guys are trying to put forth that Islam is somehow special is ludicrous, its no more special than any other religion.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2010 at 02:36
The crusades were just focused on the Holy Land but jihad should be done everywhere, as you read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jihad Islam says: "Fight in the name of Allah and in the way of Allah. Fight against those who disbelieve in Allah. Make a holy war".
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2010 at 13:06

This a good article explaning islam and politics. Look at how different early muslims were compared to the ones of today or even middle ages.

<HR style="COLOR: #fff; : #fff" SIZE=1>
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
<DIV id=post_message_400378><!-- google_ad_section_start --><SPAN =IL_AD id=IL_AD3>islamic</SPAN>' '<SPAN =IL_AD id=IL_AD4>muslim</SPAN>' 'islamist' as far as political entities are concerned are all ambiguous terms and we could discuss them forever...Lets do a brief runthrough because everyone likes to use the terms Islamic state and Muslim country etc. from both sides of the line, attributing Islamic values wrongly to a political system or nonIslamic values as such...First, a population argument. The word 'Muslim' is <SPAN =IL_AD id=IL_AD5>personal</SPAN>, and donates a personal faith by someone. Someone can be a Muslim or nonMuslim. If a state has the majority of its population that call themselves Muslim, it is a Muslim-majority state. (and note that the state cannot decide who is Muslim or not. Its personal.) I dont prefer to call a Muslim-majority state a Muslim state. Look at Egypt today for example. A country rampant with corruption in its government and a dictatorship in the simplest of terms. Can you call this a 'Muslim' country inferring an 'Muslim' value to its system? I dont think so. But is it a Muslim-majority country? Yes.What is an 'Islamic' state then? Let us <SPAN =IL_AD id=IL_AD2>get back</SPAN> to the first (and only real) definition of this term.The first real political Islamic definitions were actually placed by Ibn Taimia and Imam Hanifa when he defined 'Dar al Islam' or 'Dar al Salam' v/s 'Dar al Kufr' and others like 'Dar al Hudna' and 'Dar Al Harb'. Abu Hanifa himself chose the definition out of his interpretations of the Prophet's <SPAN =IL_AD id=IL_AD6>politics</SPAN> and the Prophets own use of the term 'Dar al Salam' (more a 'Nation of Peace' than an 'Islamic Nation' although both are synonyms) . Note this closely: A country that is part of Dar al Islam or Dar al Salam (or 'Islamic'), is 1) a country where Muslims are totally free to <SPAN =IL_AD id=IL_AD1>practice</SPAN> their faith with no coercion whatsoever from any authority. 2) a country that is surrounded by other countries who constitute Dar Al Islam and present no threat at the border (otherwise a military presence is needed at the border with or without the permission of the ruling entity in this country to defend its Muslims).This is the original theme of what constitutes an Islamic country in the politics of Islam as instigated by the Prophet as a political leader. Note that this definition does NOT include anything about sharia government, about the government at all, or about Muslims being a majority. Keep in mind Abu Hanifa knew what he was talking about in interpreting the Prophet's politics. That was his lifetime engagement. In other words everything else that came up later about sharia rule in a country or coercive religion or anything as such to define an 'Islamic' has come later in politics, and according to the prophet, is not really an element of an 'Islamic state' at all! A key principle of Islam, and the verse mentioned right after the most important verse in the Quran is this: 'There is no coercion in religion, and the truth stands out from flaw' (La Ikaraha fil Din Qad Tabayyana AlRushdu min AlGhayy 2:256) and this is the basis of the Islamic state. You cannot impose a religion on anyone (or prayer - like the mutawwa3een do) or any system of faith or religious practice or even pass a sentence on someone who chooses to leave Islam. Full freedom of personal worship. That is the original and prophetic definition of the Islamic state, a personal definition. During the first caliphates what happened as the Islamic state expanded was this two step process: 1) The Caliph approached countries with Muslim minorities through a messenger heading to its ruler, and asked the ruler to grant Muslims full freedom of worship with no persecution, and some agreed. Then these would be called 'Dar al Da3wa or Dar Al 3ahd' depending on the political situation. Ethiopia was one such country. The country had a Christian government and yet was a total ally of the Islamic empire. 2) Then the Caliph would ask this ruler if they wish to pledge allegiance to the Caliph (who assumed the role similar to the Pope in the Holy Roman Empire...) and if they agreed, they would be offered a full defense contract and assistance in the form of protection from any invader from its border that would threaten its people and the borders of the Islamic empire. If the ruler agreed to this, then his country would be included in Dar-AlIslam, as an Islamic country. Ethiopia refused to plead allegiance to the Caliph while allowing Muslims freedom of worship (which is perfectly fine - it remains an ally). But Egypt was one such case that said yes. They agreed to allow Muslims freedom of worship, then agreed to pledge allegiance to the Caliph while keeping their autonomous government (and it was a Christian Pope - so it was actually a Christian government), and the Muslims came in and rid the country of its occupiers who were the Byzantinians and stations guards at the monasteries. So Egypt had a Christian government, and yet it was an Islamic country, by the Prophet's definition. These Islamic states were all autonomous, all with their own governments, be they Christian, or democracies, or secular, or Jewish, or tribal, whatever suits them, all in alliance at time of war (to mobilise armies at the order of the caliph) and all were independent. This is the Islamic empire made of Islamic countries, and apparently this system was efficient and it worked (a crest in knowledge, huge expansion, elimination of poverty, etc.)Now 'Islamist' or the third word is actually a new word coined by nonMuslims to attempt to define Muslims within their system, its orientalist actually. It literally means 'political Islam' when in reality the line between mosque and state is of an entirely different nature between church and state. So basically in its broadest, it is used to describe political movements within Islam. Its quite a meaningless term to Muslims (if you choose to follow the original interpretations of the Islamic state), or atleast it should be... But in any case and in its best definition, supposing we have a modern state today, the Islamist party would be the one that follows an sharia political model ( i wont say 'Islamic' cause most dont, the Islamic model is described above), similar to a Christian political party.Of course if you think about it, in a state like medieval Egypt ruled by the Christian pope whilst still being an Islamic country, an Islamist party makes no sense. What would its goal be? Egypt is already an Islamic state answering to the Caliph while ruled by the Pope...Modern European Islamic scholars like Tarek Ramadan choose to revert to the original definitions of Islamic state as used by the Prophet and interpreted by Abu Hanifa. In this respect, most European countries today would actually be Islamic states, cause they offer more freedom of worship to Muslims than many other Muslim-majority countries in the world today...So where is sharia in this picture? Sharia, is actually a law of deterrence. Like nuclear weapons. They are not meant to be used, but they are meant to be there, cause when they are there, people will behave themselves. You will not steal if you know that your hand will be cut off if yu do. But how is the law actually implemented? The first time you steal, you are forgiven. The second, you are forgiven. The third, you have your hand cut off (ie, you have to be a really persistent prick). And in all times, you CANNOT have stolen for need (like, to feed your family if yure poor). And if you repent at any point, even after the third time, you are forgiven. This is how all schools of islamic jurisprudence understand it. Can this law find any practical application? No. The exception is saudi arabia where they interpret it differently.For fornication or adultery, Islamic law requires someone to actually witness the act of intercourse (the only instance i can think of is actually a gangrape...) for a death sentence to be passed. This is nearly impossible to implement, again... except of course in saudi arabia where they interpret things extremely...Furthermore, 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'. Sharia law as a deterrent really tells you what you deserve, more than what someone should do to you. It places a hierarchy on sins not an authority for someone to pass a punishment. No one has the right to carry out an Islamic sentence unless he has studied it very, very, very, very well (more than a civil case) because he has to answer God for that if he gets it wrong... And as such a civil penalty is actually preferred!In addition to all this, sharia law is actually a choice whether or not to follow by a ruler if he is Muslim. He can choose to overrule it at will, and it is a license God has given him as long as he finds reason for it. One of the caliphs lifted all penalties on theft because of a poverty phase...And now to Saudi Arabia. Does Saudis allow absolute freedom of worship to all Muslims with no coercion? The answer is actually quite clearly no to me, maybe debatable to others. Saudi oppresses shias for instance, and sufis, and others who call themselves Muslims of other sects. The prophet allowed Christians to pray INSIDE HIS OWN MOSQUE when they visited him... Saudi does not allow even a church on its territory. Saudi imposes on people prayer through shortat alnahy 3an el monkar wal 2amr belma3roof or the motawwa3 or religious police, and that is in direct contrast to the word of God where there is no compulsion in religion. imho i dont see saudi as an Islamic country neither by Abu Hanifa's first definition down from the Prophet nor by the fact that it answers to any caliph cause the caliphate has been over for a century or so now... and the mutawwa3s by virtue of their role are infringing on peoples Godgiven right to freedom of choice (the truth is there, if you wish to choose it, no coercion) and that by itself is unIslamic, so i see nothing educated about their role"<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

balochii thanks for the post but please next time summarize it and then put on this link but please do not post whole articles- it is spamming. I am always opened minded so I will try and read it later today.

Edited by eaglecap - 06-Jul-2010 at 12:16
PakistaniShield View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote PakistaniShield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2010 at 16:08
Not to mention "hinduism" is simply a British term for the pagan cults/religions of the subcontinent.  The term was used by Muslim rulers and them twisted by the British to make all the various asian pagan beliefs as "one religion."

200 years ago no one called their religion "hindu"

Yet today there are some fanatic elements trying to project is as some sort of ancient religion and some even laughably claiming it to be the "oldest 'religion"

I wanted to start a thread on that, but didn't want to push more controversy   
PakistaniShield View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote PakistaniShield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2010 at 16:13

Thats because most Islamic societies today are not completely secular. Islam has no political role in Turkey, where completely secularism exists.

That statement is quite incorrect. The situation for non-Muslims in Turkey is actually very difficult and converting outside Islam is punishable under the law. Turkey is often portrayed by the western media as secular because of it's pro-western policies and western lifestyle encouraged by Attaturk.

But that's a different topic.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2010 at 12:21

The crusades were just focused on the Holy Land but jihad should be done everywhere, as you read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jihad Islam says: "Fight in the name of Allah and in the way of Allah. Fight against those who disbelieve in Allah. Make a holy war".

This is so true and we often see denial (da- Nile) which is more than a river-

Spencer: Muslims lying about Islamic atrocities

[URL=http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=37910]http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=37910[/URL
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2010 at 12:39
Yes you can, as religion is a by product of human nature, but the invaders may have invaded on the pretext of religion (as all the holy books say, you must kill the infidels and take their land) but it was more greed and the nature of war at the time that led to the devastation, not Islam itself.

I can agree here but I don’t doubt that some had that holy zeal! You can find them in all groups, including the Communist, I have met them. The same can be said about many faiths and political groups. It seems before a city was taken, in India, they were offered a chance to convert and many of the lowest castes like the Dalits did. It was their chance to escape the oppressive caste system.

Or the Israelites? You know how the Old Testament feels about infidels

That is something I could never understand but still that was for a specific group at a sad but specific time in history and a specific region of geography. The Hebrews, unlike Islam, were not out the conquer the world. They were interested only in a specific region in the Middle East they called the Promised land. It is still very sad that they killed men, women, children and sometimes even their animals. The thing is do you still see Hebrews killing Amorites today etc. I grew up learning about the old Testament and it is hard to swallow but it happened.

Alexander - we agree here
Yes power and glory just like the Internationalist today and those who want a return of the Caliphate.

The Indian economy peaked during the Mughal era. Some of the greatest architectural achievements were made during the Mughal era. The Mughal prosperity did not last long due to infighting and colonialism, but it was certainly India at its height.

Thanks TGS and I will look further into this when I have time.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the devastation you are talking about is more of a result of the nature of nomadic tribes and their warfare at the time. Nomadic central asian tribes were especially brutal in warfare. It has little do with Islam, it was the way they lived before Islam. And it was the Turks and Mongols who did most of the destruction, Arabs were barely a factor later on in Islamic history. Islamic armies were mostly made up of Turks and other nomadic tribes.

Here I disagree and in fact Islam helped fuel it and gave the Arabs and later Seljuk Turks the excuse to wage war on the Idolaters but we can meet halfway. I do agree with your point about Nomadic Asian tribes but only to a point. The historian Alfred friendly, in reference to the Turkic tribes, called their form of Islam primitive Islam. I believe he meant that they did not fully understand their faith and still were influenced by their Turkic nomadic war-like culture as well as their new faith. Seljuk Turks who had migrated into the Persian Empire and gained some level of culture and education called their nomadic brethren barbarians- I mean after a generation or more. (Alfred Friendly )

By the Way TGS – you are free to call names or opinions about others but it does get a bit redundant but I honor free speech. As long as it does not ever turn to threats or cursing and so far you have done good. I don't think you would ever go that far.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>