Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where do you get your News from?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where do you get your News from?
    Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 18:09
Sure it does. Once again, I will refer you to two non-partisan websites which have been very useful to me:

www.politifact.com
www.factcheck.org

They are two websites founded for and dedicated to filtering out the lies and determining the truth. You can even submit questions to them and they will answer.

Politifact is quite interesting is because they have a "truthometer" and they'll tell you when a politician is lying or telling the truth. Check them out, cant hurt.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 23-Jul-2010 at 18:10
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 18:15
Are you saying that Charlie baby actually paid all of his taxes, on time?

Are you saying that he is innocent as a lamb?
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Patryk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Patryk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 21:16

www.politifact.com looked pretty biased.  Come on!  They actually gave Joe Biden a "1/2 true."  Joe Biden doesn't even believe Joe Biden!

Patryk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Patryk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 21:28
If you get your news form MSNBC, you will be misinformed.  If you get your news from Fox, you will be misinformed.  If you get your news from Aljazeera, you too will be misinformed.  The point is; there is no TRUTH out there.  Other than Einstein's and Kepler's Laws of Motion and other points made by the hard sciences; IT IS ALL SPIN.  I could see it in politifact.com and I see it in Glenn Beck (who I see only on youtube since I work in Asia).

It boils down to which group already supports your existing Weltanschauung.   Maybe it's Maddow maybe it Beck.  Either way, if you are looking for "facts" study mathematics or chemistry. 
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2010 at 07:50
Originally posted by Patryk

The point is; there is no TRUTH out there.  Other than Einstein's and Kepler's Laws of Motion and other points made by the hard sciences;

Are they? Your pushing it with that, but that would be for a different discussion.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2010 at 08:40
Originally posted by Patryk

www.politifact.com looked pretty biased.  Come on!  They actually gave Joe Biden a "1/2 true."  Joe Biden doesn't even believe Joe Biden!

I think you're confused. What that side does is take statements that people make, evaluate them to see how true they are. If you read their explanation (there is a link under the meter), it would explain why they gave him a 1/2 true for that political statement.

Here is where they explained why they gave him a 1/2 truth for that statement regarding nation building in Afghanistan:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2010/jul/20/joe-biden/joe-biden-says-us-not-engaged-nation-building-afgh/

So let's recap. When Biden says that "we're not engaged in nation-building" in Afghanistan, he's correct that the administration doesn't use that word, and that the U.S. commitment is narrower and more time-limited than a nation-building effort might be. However, many of the things the U.S. is seeking to do in Afghanistan would fall under a reasonable definition of what used to be known as nation-building. So while we acknowledge the limits of U.S. military intentions in Afghanistan, we don't think it's right to let the vice president simply deny the existence of the types of activities formerly identified with "nation building" by disavowing the phrase. So we rate his statement Half True.

A 1/2 means that not everything he says is precisely correct but is not completely wrong either. I believe a half truth is a very reasonable rating for that statement based on their assessment.

politifact and factcheck are not biased at all, they merely report the truth, that is why they were created, to cut out all the crap thats spewed out by cable news networks. I suggest you check both of them out, you'll learn a lot, I know I have.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 24-Jul-2010 at 08:46
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
Patryk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Patryk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2010 at 21:49
I know how politifact ranked the Biden comment.  That's why I was so incredulous.  Giving him 1/2 credit just because the WH doesn't use the term "nation-building" is like giving Biden partial credit because he used a complete sentence or because Afghanistan does indeed exist.  On the key point of "nation-building" whatever you want to call it, Biden obfuscated.  He gets a "0" from me.  That's not to say I don't like the guy.  I liked him for years ... going back to his Apartheid Divestment days (1986).  I think he is the most honest person in this administration. 
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2010 at 10:07
so do you or do you not think we are nation building in Afghanistan? I'm confused regarding your stance.

I have to agree with politifact here, we are doing some things consistent with nation building, on the other hand, we are not committed to staying there for a long period of time and not investing as much effort into building up the nation.

So in my opinion, I think a half is very justified. I think you're just biased here, their assessment is pretty fair. Like I said, its a non-partisan website dedicated to being fair and reporting the facts.
Patryk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Patryk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2010 at 18:45
We are doing Nation-Building in Afghanistan whether we call it that or call it "lovely flower cultivation."  We are doing Nation-Building. 

One of my buddies from the Army picked up the nick-name from the local Iraqis or "Abu Falooz" (father of the money) because he was part of a Civil Affairs team that wandered around Iraq handing out money to anybody who wanted to build a bridge or upgrade a town's electical grid.  Much of the money disappeared and no work was ever done.  He said his group started the threaten Iraqis if they didn't do the promised for which they had been given thousands of US dollars ("I need to see a bridge her in 30 days or some of my friends will come at night" -- he used to tell them). Anyway, the Americans were more pro-active.  He said the Italians and Poles in his sector just gave the money and hurried back to base because their were under strict orders from home not to get killed. 

YES, Bush started that.  We have flushed billions down those Arabian and Aryan toilets.  Trying to make those people in the smiliing, turbaned versions of Danes or Australians isn't going to happen.  The best case scenario in almost any country is a dictator who just so happens to be friendly towards us.  They are not going to do pluralistic democracies.   
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2010 at 19:04
You did say you were a Tea Partier right?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2010 at 19:10
I especially like Orange-Pekoe!

Yummy!
SilverTungsten View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote SilverTungsten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2010 at 16:09
I get news from mostly TV and the internet. I don't really follow one specific news site, I just browse a few and read what interests me.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2010 at 16:45
Radio:
Savage Nation, Rusty Humphrey, Laura Ingram, NPR and coast to coast am

Internet:
Jihadwatch, Gates of Vienna, Savage Nation, and Walid Shoebat

TV:
None
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2010 at 14:09
isnt "Gates of Vienna" your own blog?
Patryk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Patryk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2010 at 04:37
I have read Gates of Vienna.  I think I read it a few times.  It's good.  I also like Jihadwatch.  Robert Spencer knows his stuff!
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2010 at 20:52
Well some of my news comes from this site;

http://mail.aol.com/32783-111/aol-1/en-us/Suite.aspx

Perhaps all of you should read it?

Regards,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12