Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fire of London please answer my questionnaire(diss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
christina88 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote christina88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fire of London please answer my questionnaire(diss
    Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 07:03
Hi
I am an architectural conservation studant! would be greatfull to anyone who would like to answer my short questionnaire!

thanks, Christina
It wouldnt let me attach as a file so i had to copy and paste on to here!!!

I am a architectural conservation student doing a dissertation concerning the great fire of london and to what extent the great fire and the rebuilding acts resulting from it changed and improved the construction of buildings in the subsequent rebuilding of London. I will also be challenging the general idea that the great fire miraculously changed the city from a slowly decaying timber city waiting to catch fire to a stone and brick metropolis.

I would be very grateful if you could take the time to complete this questionnaire!

Thank you very much for your time,

Christina Hanley.

PLEASE TYPE AN 'X' NEXT TO YOUR ANSWER, SAVE THE FILE AND RETURN BY EMAIL, THANKS!

SEND TO : 06015484@glam.ac.uk

1) To what extent do you think the rebuilding acts actually changed and improved the construction of buildings?

1. To no extent

2. To a little extent

3. Don't know

4. To a great extent

5. To a very great extent

2)To what extent do you agree with the following statement: “The rebuilding acts were

completely innovative and different to anything that came before them?”

1. To no extent

2. To a little extent

3. Don't know

4. To a great extent

3) To what extent do you think the regulations resulting from the rebuilding acts went far

enough in ensuring the eradication of future fires or lowering of the risk of future fires?

1. To no extent

2. To a little extent

3. Don't know

4. To a great extent

4) How far do you agree that the four house types laid down in the rebuilding act were the

most innovative and successful of the regulations?

1. To no extent

2. To a little extent

3. Don't know

4. To a great extent

5) To what extent do you agree with the following statement : “London was transformed from

an essentially medieval city of wooden buildings to a modern metropolis of brick and stone”? (Elizabeth McKeller)

1. To no extent

2. To a little extent

3. Don't know

4. To a great extent

6) To what extent do you agree that London at the time of the fire was a city waiting to catch

fire ,due to its construction and infrastructure.

1. To no extent

2. To a little extent

3. Don't know

4. To a great extent

7) To what extent do you agree that other factors such as the very dry summer and drought

, as well as violent winds and large amount of combustible materials stored in the nearby cellers and warehouses contributed more to the rapid spread of the fire then the style and type of construction of the buildings?

1. To no extent

2. To a little extent

3. Don't know

4. To a great extent

8) Do you think that the style of houses changed dramatically after the rebuilding?

1. To no extent

2. To a little extent

3. Don't know

4. To a great extent

9) Do you think the regulations in the rebuilding acts were adequately enforced after the fire ?

1. To no extent

2. To a little extent

3. Don't know

4. To a great extent

Comments:

beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2009 at 04:47
I give you a link http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/English/EventsExhibitions/Past/LondonsBurning/Themes/1405/1408/Page1.htm
That should answer your questions. But I suppose you can find even more in the www
 Post Reply Post Reply