Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Xerxes and Kurds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Azadi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
retired AE moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Azadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xerxes and Kurds
    Posted: 01-Sep-2009 at 14:01
Is there any other connection between them, besides the Mydian cavalary ?

A.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2009 at 08:24
Do you mean Medians by Kurds? There were certainly some strong connections between Xerxes and Medians, in fact Persians and Medians could be considered as an united nation in that period and were not distinguishable.
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2009 at 12:54

At that time Kurds most likely were not called Kurds. Per current historical view Kurds most likely came from Meds and question probably is about Meds

Edited by Miller - 02-Sep-2009 at 12:55
Azadi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
retired AE moderator

Quote Azadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2009 at 13:29
Yeah, by Kurds I ment Medians - thereof the Mydian cavlary.
I've hear much about Xerxes trying to conquer Kurdish/Median mountains, but never succeeded - was he enemy or foe, from a Kurdish point of view ?

A.
Messopotamian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Messopotamian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2009 at 10:16
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Do you mean Medians by Kurds? There were certainly some strong connections between Xerxes and Medians, in fact Persians and Medians could be considered as an united nation in that period and were not distinguishable.

Yes. It's in Kurdish national anthem

" Em roley , Mîdya û KeyXusrawîn " ( We are youngs ( or descendents ) of Medes and Cyaxares )

And Kurds calls Cyaxares  " Key Xusro " or " Kawa Xusrawa "
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2012 at 19:29
So the Kurds were the Medes?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Ince View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Ince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2012 at 19:40
Originally posted by Nick1986

So the Kurds were the Medes?

Like I have said in previous thread, it's yes and no.  Some Kurds descend from the Medes where as other descend from other groups like Scythians and Parthians and not forgeting the native pre-iranian element as well.   I believe that Central Iranians and Lors are probably the descendents of the Medes.  Lors actually wear similar clothes to that of the Median reliefs in Iran.   The close bond between Kurds and Lors probably goes back to the days when Medes and Scythians were close.

Edited by Ince - 31-May-2012 at 19:42
 Post Reply Post Reply