Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Nubia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Azadi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
retired AE moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Azadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Nubia
    Posted: 19-Aug-2009 at 13:55
Around 5,000 years ago, a rich and powerful nation called the kingdom of Kush (also referred to as ancient Nubia) was a center of culture and military might in Africa. Ancient Nubia had a wealth of natural resources such as gold, ivory, copper, frankincense and ebony but they also produced and traded a variety of goods such as pottery.  The Nubians formed the foundation of the Proto-Dravidians, Proto-Elamites, Proto-Mande speakers and West Atlantic people. 

Their bowmen warriors were known and feared by those who saw them in battles. Ancient Nubia's lands are now part of modern Egypt and Sudan. Its geographic position meant that much of ancient Nubia's development is connected to that of ancient Egypt. In fact, Egypt ruled much of Nubia between 2000 B.C. and 1000 B.C., but when Egypt collapsed into civil war, Nubian kings ruled Egypt from around 800 B.C. to 700 B.C. 

The Nubians are believed to be the first human race on earth, and most of their customs and traditions were adopted by the ancient Egyptians. To the Greeks, they were known as Ethiopians and Nubia as the land of Punts.

Nubians are the people of northern Sudan and southern Egypt. With a history and traditions which can be traced to the dawn of civilization, the Nubian first settled along the banks of the Nile from Aswan. Along this great river they developed one of the oldest and greatest civilizations in Africa. Until they lost their last kingdom (Christian Nubia) only five centuries back the Nubians remained as the main rivals to the other great African civilization of Egypt. 

Nubia is the homeland of Africa's earliest black culture with a history which can be traced from 3800 B.C. onward through Nubian monuments and artifacts, as well as written records from Egypt and Rome. In antiquity, Nubia was a land of great natural wealth, of gold mines, ebony, ivory and incense which was always prized by her neighbors.

Although Sudan had remained the main homeland of Nubians through their long history, many of their descendants is today's Egypt. But still the majority of Nubians of today are Sudanese. With only a population of slightly above 300,000 they are a minority in both countries. Nevertheless being of African descent they resemble other Sudanese people more than Egyptians.

Nubians in both Sudan and Egypt have suffered a lot from intentional overlooking to their history and culture as well as displacement, relocation due to flooding and inundation of their homeland by dams constructed south of Egypt. 

In the 1930s a large proportion of the Nubian villages along the Nile were totally submerged. Some Nubians decided to move north into Egypt. The majority, however, chose to stay in their doomed country, and rebuilt their houses on higher ground above the new shoreline.

During this century the Nubian homeland had been inundated three times, however the 1960 Nubian exodus is the most painful to all Nubians. Following the construction of Aswan High Dam in 1960 the land of Nubia between Aswan in Egypt and the 4th cataract in Sudan (main area of Nubians) was the subject of flooding and inundation. Nubians were displaced and relocated in other areas in both Sudan and Egypt. Great Nubian monuments and historical sites were drowned and lost for good. The monuments of Nubia would have ultimately been lost to the depths of the lake had it not been for the joint effort of 50 countries providing financial contributions and expertise in an effort to save the monuments. Wherever feasible,monuments were dismantled or cut from the rock and reassembled at new sites in Egypt and Sudan. Cemeteries and structures that could not be moved . . . were excavated and recorded in as much detail as possible.

The Nubians lost their ancient homeland in the 1960's, but their culture and heritage remain.

The influx of Arabs to Egypt and Sudan had contributed to the suppression of the Nubian identity following the collapse of the last Nubian kingdom in 1900. A major part of the Nubian population were totally arabized or claimed to be arabs (Jaa'leen-the majority of Northern Sudanese- and some Donglawes in Sudan, Kenuz and Koreskos in Egypt). However all Nubians were converted to Islam, and Arabic language became their main media of communication in addition to their indigenous old Nubian language. The unique characteristic of Nubian is shown in their culture (dress, dances, traditions and music) as well as their indigenous language which is the common feature of all Nubians.

MUCH MORE INFO ON THIS WONDERFUL ANCIENT CIVILIZATION;
Ana View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2009 at 06:10
Do they have their own language ?

and thx for the info.

Edited by Ana - 25-Aug-2009 at 06:12
Azadi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
retired AE moderator

Quote Azadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2009 at 06:42
Yes, they do Ana.
Their language, Nobiin - meaning "the language of Nubian", is one of the few things left that seperates them from arabs (the influx of Arabs to Egypt and Sudan had contributed to the suppression of the Nubian identity following the collapse of the last Nubian kingdom in 1900. A major part of the Nubian population were totally arabized or claimed to be arabs). 

The Old Nubian language is ancestral to modern-day Nobiin, and other Nubian dialects in Dongola and Kunuz. Sadly many Nubians have forgotten and no longer teach their children their ancestral language; Nubians living in the cities rarely speak Nobiin and teach their children Arabic and embrace Islam as their religion.

A.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2011 at 19:22
I'd like to find out more about the Nubian civilisation. In a book on ancient Egypt from my childhood they were depicted as spear-throwing primitives in animal skins. Personally i think this reconstruction is wrong, not least due to Sudan's hot climate and the presence of a ruined city and tombs based on Egyptian pyramids
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2011 at 15:12
Here are some images from the book The Nubian Pharaohs, Dominique Valbelle.

Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2011 at 17:43
I Believe the Egyptians called it Ta-Seti
samozain View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote samozain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 14:38
Thanks ,,,,

Edited by samozain - 16-Feb-2012 at 14:39
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 14:45
Ta-SeTi=Beautiful Load proves innocence!Smile 
Afrohistory View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Afrohistory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2012 at 15:04

Oh goody, a thread on Ancient Nubia! I think that Anicent Nubia is constantly overshadowed by Ancient Egypt, people tend to pay less attetion towards it. There also more on AE compared to Nubia, since last I heard, people still aren't able to interpret Nubia's written language. Not to mention study on Nubia has come to a stand still since the conflict in Sudan. I hope that when the conflict settles down, so much more can be found about it.

Nubia was smaller in terms of population compared to Egypt, but they were no less formidible. Ancient Nubia was able to keep their independence compared to Egypt until the end. They also conqured and ruled over Egypt for a time. From what I've read, it was the Nubian soldiers who appeared in animal skins.  They were armed with pikes, bows, swords, and hatchets.

Interesting enough, they were the first in the ancient world to use Elephants for battle. Another good point to make is that the Ancient Nubians were very good to their animals. They were probably the first ever animal trainers. When horses was introduce to Nubia, the Nubians became known as the best horse trainers. Foreign rulers were said to hire Nubian horsemen for their herds. One Nubian King, King Piankhy, was aid to, during a war with Egypt, came upon a horse herd belonging to an Egyptian prince and saw the horses staving from hunger. He was quoted in saying " I swear by my own life... that to my mind to have allowed my horses to suffer is the worst of all evil things which thou has don." 

There were also more pyramids in Nubia than in Egypt, though they were smaller.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2012 at 19:23
Originally posted by unclefred

Here are some images from the book The Nubian Pharaohs, Dominique Valbelle.

Their head-dresses and clothing look Egyptian
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply