Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does Hijab reduce the beauty of Iranian girls?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Hijab reduce the beauty of Iranian girls?!
    Posted: 16-Aug-2009 at 06:52
What do you think?

kaznder View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote kaznder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2009 at 07:24
Yes,(rhetorical??)anyway ,of course it reduced her beauty, though she should cover al her hair, it wrong to wear Hijab like this because the purpose is to cover all the hair.....but Imagine her without the Hijab, she will be much beautiful without it....so this should also reduce the harassment during the day Big smile......
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2009 at 11:06
Originally posted by kaznder

Yes,(rhetorical??)anyway ,of course it reduced her beauty, though she should cover al her hair, it wrong to wear Hijab like this because the purpose is to cover all the hair.....but Imagine her without the Hijab, she will be much beautiful without it....so this should also reduce the harassment during the day Big smile......

I agree but it is better than a full burqa. I saw this a lot in Turkey and it is modest and I respect their right, especially in their own culture. The burqa is another story and I have seen maybe two-three women totally covered up in my former city on the east side of Washington State and it sickened me. I saw them as being treated like chattel. The man also have some responsibility in controlling their passions and all the blame should not be put on the women but this is in Iran. One girl, an American, I saw at Barnes and Noble had a screen covering her face, I could tell she was American by her voice. The simple Hijab I can accept and respect but the other no way Jose in America/Canada. When in Rome do as the Romans do!!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2009 at 19:14
Originally posted by eaglecap

I agree but it is better than a full burqa.

Did you really read his post? Wink

@Cyrus

Clothing in general can work both ways it can hide the "beauty" but it can also hid many flaws. There is a reason women and some man are willing to spend so much money on clothing. If I had to guess I would say majority people would not want to be seen without their cloths and protection from cold and environment is not the real reason for covering themselves

If you have an interest in overall reason behind the covering women hair and face and the conservative culture of Iran my guess would be that it has more to do with the huge number of invasion they and many other regions of middle east suffered because of the their geographical location, and not so much to do with religion. To protect the women from the invaders they ended up hiding them under the cover.

Hypocrisy View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hypocrisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 05:37
Originally posted by Miller

I agree but it is better than a full burqa.

Did you really read his post? Wink

@Cyrus

Clothing in general can work both ways it can hide the "beauty" but it can also hid many flaws. There is a reason women and some man are willing to spend so much money on clothing. If I had to guess I would say majority people would not want to be seen without their cloths and protection from cold and environment is not the real reason for covering themselves

If you have an interest in overall reason behind the covering women hair and face and the conservative culture of Iran my guess would be that it has more to do with the huge number of invasion they and many other regions of middle east suffered because of the their geographical location, and not so much to do with religion. To protect the women from the invaders they ended up hiding them under the cover.

How on earth did you conclude such a weird outcome? It has nothing to do with invaders. How would you protect your relatives with a vulnerable piece of cloth on?

As for the real question of the topic, a hijab obviously stands for the submission of women. The fact that it is worn to avoid sinful behaviours doesn't reflect the absolute truth at all. It compels women to follow the orders of religion and devout fundamentalists only. It doesn't allow people to comprehend. It also diminishes the attraction of such gorgeous ladies, unfortunately.

I'm wholeheartedly in favour of the enlightening revolt of the Iranians against the religion-based government. You have to keep up the diligent work to shake him off immediately.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 08:15
I believe wearing Hijab (hiding some beauty) didn't originally relate neither to the religion, nor the invaders, but just the cultural climate, in the fertile regions of the north of Iran where a large number of people live in a small area beside each other, we see Hijab has never been taken seriously, some say the people of this region consider themselves really as brothers and sisters! But in the desert of Iran where families live far from each other and people usually don't work together, the situation is certainly different, unlike in the northern Iran that women have important social roles, in these region women mostly work at home, even the types of houses show that people of the desert prefer to hide themselves from others.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 10:11
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I believe wearing Hijab (hiding some beauty) didn't originally relate neither to the religion, nor the invaders, but just the cultural climate, in the fertile regions of the north of Iran where a large number of people live in a small area beside each other, we see Hijab has never been taken seriously, some say the people of this region consider themselves really as brothers and sisters! But in the desert of Iran where families live far from each other and people usually don't work together, the situation is certainly different, unlike in the northern Iran that women have important social roles, in these region women mostly work at home, even the types of houses show that people of the desert prefer to hide themselves from others.

I cannot see any connection with invasion but modesty is probably the major reason. I have seen women in Turkiye almost completely covered up and they really had nothing to hide- older or not attractive by the world's standards. The girl in the photo is a kind of modesty I appreciate. I have dated women who liked to show it all and I lost respect for them but my last girlfriend was very modest by American standards. I do not mind seeing Muslims or certain Christian sects dressed modestly like the photo that Cyrus put up; as long as they respect others freedoms. We also have the Amish, Mennonite, hutterites and other unusual Christian Sects here that cover and I could ask them same question about them.   Hearing that the Amish, because they have lots of children, are spreading out west was interesting and threatening because of their old fashioned ways and dress but it is America and they can relocate where they want. They are welcome as long as they don't try to force others to conform to their dress code, they tend to keep to themselves.
I think it still diminishes the beauty of their women, like in the case of the Muslims, but the inner beauty is more important. No matter how attractive a women is with time it passes.

image by canadianchristianity.com

A Hutterite wedding
image on Shutterite flickr.com

Edited by eaglecap - 18-Aug-2009 at 12:10
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 12:15

How would you protect your relatives with a vulnerable piece of cloth on?

diminishes the attraction of such gorgeous ladies, unfortunately.

I think you just contradicted yourself, but I could be wrong

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 12:31

How would you protect your relatives with a vulnerable piece of cloth on?

diminishes the attraction of such gorgeous ladies, unfortunately.

I think you just contradicted yourself, but I could be wrong

thank you Miller - I am not sure where but I will look it over unless you can help point it out.   Are you Muslim?

I remember in Turkiye that even though some young women dressed very modest and had the Hijab they still looked very sexy in their designer jean dresses with their cute figures.
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 13:02

Have you seen the movie "Seven Samurai"?

When warrior types entered the village the Japanese peasant who had an attractive daughter forced her to cut her hair to make her less attractive to them. As you pointed hijab can have the same functionality which is making women less attractive and may have been used for the same reason

Also, I think that was the point Kazender was trying to make. Those sexy women Turkey most likely wore Hijab "wrong"Wink

And no, I am a generic American

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 13:30

Have you seen the movie "Seven Samurai"?

When warrior types entered the village the Japanese peasant who had an attractive daughter forced her to cut her hair to make her less attractive to them. As you pointed hijab can have the same functionality which is making women less attractive and may have been used for the same reason

Also, I think that was the point Kazender was trying to make. Those sexy women Turkey most likely wore Hijab "wrong"Wink

And no, I am a generic American

I have not see this movie for a few years so I will see if I can rent it. What do you think about these other groups I mentioned?
I am also a generic American-
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 14:03
As a side note, Orthodox Jewish women also wear hair coverings. These coverings range from scarves to wigs. I think the style and degree of coverage required may depend on the individual group's Rabbi.

. One girl, an American, I saw at Barnes and Noble had a screen covering her face, I could tell she was American by her voice. The simple Hijab I can accept and respect but the other no way Jose in America/Canada. When in Rome do as the Romans do!!
I also have a strong dislike of "Burka" type clothing worn in the United States.  The American woman was probably a "revert" who thought she needed to imitate Saudi Arabian culture to be "Islamic". 

Burkas appear to be spreading across the planet. An African Muslim that I met in Ivory Coast told me that "Burkas" had recently arrived in her country. She wanted them banned as they were never a part of African Islam.    

Edited by Cryptic - 18-Aug-2009 at 14:18
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 14:29
Well there is hijab and there is headscarf. Headscarf is worn for variety of reasons, warmth, fashion, social statement, or to cover the bald spot. I am sure there is more than one reason as there is/was more than one reason for men to wear hats. My comments were more directly related to Cyrus post about hijab in Iran.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2012 at 12:37
Does Hij Maybe what should be asked isab reduce the beauty of Iranian girls? No is the answer. If a beautiful girl without a Hijab turns around to face away from you, is her face actually any less beautiful?
Maybe what should be asked is, is it a beautiful thing when the Hijab is required wearing.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2012 at 14:04
I'm with you Alan, I vote 'no' it doesn't detract from their beauty, but I'm wishing they had the
option of wearing one or not. 
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2012 at 09:59
Originally posted by tjadams

I'm with you Alan, I vote 'no' it doesn't detract from their beauty, but I'm wishing they had the
option of wearing one or not. 

I also agree with you. I am against forcing people to dress in a certain way. Women in Muslim culture should wear the hijad out of true conviction, not compulsion. I have seen that in Iran, they have an actual police corps that goes around telling women that they are dressed the wrong way. This is the same case in Saudi Arabia where if the call to prayer sounds, they go harrass people to go pray in case they didn't.

I think this kind of behaviour is despicable and causes people to detract from Islam because of the constant repression. This all started with the damn bloody Wahabi movement which sought to return to the era of the prophet but took a very extreme interpretation of Islam as the standard religion.

I as a Moroccan can tell you that no one is being forced to dress in any specific way in my country. A lot of women choose to wear the hijab and others do not. For example, I have 4 aunts 3 of whom wear the hijab whilst the youngest does not. My grandmother does her best to convince her to wear it but they never 'fight' about it. Usually here in Morocco, married women tend to adopt the hijab more than younger women.

There has been a recent surge of the 'Burqu'a' or 'litham' here and I can tell you that the majority of us see it as a bad thing. It has never been part of Islam and many wonder where the hell this dressing habit even originates from. It is obviously not efficient for someone to be covered from head to toe, how can the person take a passport/ID picture? or give a witness confession in court?...
Timidi mater non flet
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2012 at 14:39
Nah!

Only for the few pretty girls. For the majority of ugly girls.

Have you never heard of a double Burqa-er?

It's when you wear a Burqatoo, just in case when having sex, her Burqa slips off. (in English we say double bagger)

Edited by Toltec - 11-Jan-2012 at 14:43
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2012 at 15:17
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

What do you think?

No.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 06:07
Well in my country Bahrain, Hijab was not as prevalent until after the Iranian revolution. In fact, looking at photos from the 60s/70s, you'll find that women did not wear the hijab. It was reserved for older women... Now it's a taboo for any woman to go out bareheaded.
Personally I do not like it at all.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 06:21
In my experience when people get something into their mind it can be hard to shake, and taboos are one of those things.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>