Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Roman/Greek Ethnicy and Physical Traits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Dúnadan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dúnadan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roman/Greek Ethnicy and Physical Traits
    Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 05:15
Well, I sense that some will think that this topic is irrelevant, useless, and maybe racist for some. I just want to make it clear: I'm not a racist. It's as simple as that.

Now, why would I care about this?
Well, there's a belief called "Nordicism". That belief basically says that Nordics are the superior race and that are responsible for almost all the greatest civilizations in history, as Rome, Greece, and Egypt would be. Please, let's not touch Egypt in this topic, since there's a lot to talk about that: This is solely about Romans and Greeks.
While I love Nordic culture and civilizations, I really don't believe that this culture or people are responsible for Rome and Greece. I think that both of them were Mediterrean. I asked some historians about this and they almost laugh when I said them that some people think that they were Nordics, and while maybe it is a theory to laugh about (no offense to anyone), lots of people believe it.
I guess that everything was started by historian "Arthur Kemp". He has a website and a book, called "The March of the Titans", which tells the story of Whites as a whole. Other than (well founded and probably correct) acussations of racism, he says that Roman and Greek nobles were Nordic, giving pictures of sculptures as a source.

What do you all think about this? Would you recommend me anything to read about this topic?

My opinion is that while they had a degree of light hair and eyes, they were mostly dark haired and eyed, and light skin. Euro-Mediterrean features basically. Though I never read anything about this specific topic, I'm writing by general things about this civilizations I read and common sense (Southern Europe=Mostly Mediterrean).
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 06:17
Originally posted by Dúnadan

I guess that everything was started by historian "Arthur Kemp". He has a website and a book, called "The March of the Titans", which tells the story of Whites as a whole. Other than (well founded and probably correct) acussations of racism, he says that Roman and Greek nobles were Nordic, giving pictures of sculptures as a source.

Yes, that's the man and he is a big @$$h0l3. He has repainted paintings of ancient greek and roman art to prove his points. LOL But he did confuse some people. I get really dissapointed to hear from people sometimes that Dorian Greeks came from the north for example.

None of those sayings are true. The people of these civilizations were evolved by neolithic cultures of those areas. Their languages have nothing to do with Nordic people eather.

In my opinion, whereever organized agriculture could flower and people could stop worrying about finding food, a big civilization emerged.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 06:28
The agriculture and first Neolithic civilisations have been brought in all Europe by migrants from Minor Asia, Levant and Mesopotamia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Neolithic

Dúnadan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Dúnadan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 07:30
Originally posted by Flipper

Yes, that's the man and he is a big @$$h0l3. He has repainted paintings of ancient greek and roman art to prove his points. LOL But he did confuse some people. I get really dissapointed to hear from people sometimes that Dorian Greeks came from the north for example.

None of those sayings are true. The people of these civilizations were evolved by neolithic cultures of those areas. Their languages have nothing to do with Nordic people eather.

In my opinion, whereever organized agriculture could flower and people could stop worrying about finding food, a big civilization emerged.

I obviously agree with you, but do you have any source?
I want to write something about it once for all. When you google "Race Romans", you get tons of websites telling that they were Nordic. Thus more and more people get confused, so I feel that I need to do something about it. I guess that few peopel care about it because is quite obvious, how would Romans or Greeks be Nordic?
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 07:30
Originally posted by Menumorut

The agriculture and first Neolithic civilisations have been brought in all Europe by migrants from Minor Asia, Levant and Mesopotamia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Neolithic

kudos to you Smile

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 07:33

Originally posted by Flipper

I want to write something about it once for all. When you google "Race Romans", you get tons of websites telling that they were Nordic. Thus more and more people get confused, so I feel that I need to do something about it. I guess that few peopel care about it because is quite obvious, how would Romans or Greeks be Nordic?

Yes, a lot. I'm at work however, so I can't do something from here. Give me some time and i will get back to you tonight (CET zone).

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 08:41
You should check out this site "Greek and Roman Art".

http://www.flickr.com/groups/492405@N20/pool/

Through the contemporary portraits you can gain a vague idea of what Romans and Greeks looked like. Another good source is via the frescos and mosaics of Pompeii, that have survived intact over the millenium. Just scan for "Pompeii, fresco", or "Pompeii, mosaic", a series of collections would come up.
Most of the sources seem to indicate that the ancient Greeks and Italians looked very similar to their modern descendants.

Another thing to be careful about is that "Roman" is not an ethnicity, nor is it a race; instead, it is a "citizenship" of a multi-ethnic state.
It started off as a city state in Central Italy, and gradually expanded throughout Italy and the Mediterranean to absorb new peoples into its society. By the Pax Romana in the 1st-2nd centuries A.D.; a Roman citizen could come from a wide range of ethnic backgrounds: Celtic, Latin, Greek, Numidian, Lybian, Syrian, Illyrian, Nubian, or any of the obscure nationalities of the Balkans and Asia Minor.

There is an enduring misconception that the Greeks and Romans were "European civilizations". I'd best describe them as "Mediterranean" rather than European; because Romanization occured in North Africa, Asia Minor, and the Middle East as much as it did in Europe (but it did not in Germany); and the Greeks received far more cultural influences from nations of the other side of the Mediterranean than from Central Europe.

What happened was that "European Civilization", that evolved after the Middle Ages, took inspirations from Greece and Rome.

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 10:13
Originally posted by calvo

You should check out this site "Greek and Roman Art".

http://www.flickr.com/groups/492405@N20/pool/

I swear that my cousins wife is like an re-incarnation of this woman from Delphi below. I was shocked when i saw this one for the first time and so was she.

Edited by Flipper - 16-Jun-2009 at 10:14

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 10:57
This statue looks more "Etruscan" than "Roman" to me, especially in the shape of the eyes.
Is your cousin's wife Italian?
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 18:07
Originally posted by calvo

This statue looks more "Etruscan" than "Roman" to me, especially in the shape of the eyes.
Is your cousin's wife Italian?

LOL, no that is from Delphi, pre-roman era. It is a nobble woman from Elis i think.

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 18:47

Ok, as I promised.
There's a blog of an anthropologist that has taken personaly care of Arthur Kemp and his girberish: http://dienekes.110mb.com/articles/kemp/

All you need about his falacies are there. He has posted photoshoped pictures from his book and compares them to the original. Everytime Arthur Kemp tryes to correct himself this guy updates his blog with the new data. It's all you need about Arthur Kemp written by a pro. Smile

When it comes to Greeks and their background i suggest this article: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3659/is_199902/ai_n8845695/pg_4/?tag=content;col1

What is good is that it contains references on many many studies in that matter, that you can check out by searching on the same page.

About the Minoans civilization you can check this forum's thread "Minoan Civilization originated in Anatolia" here.

As for the Romans, as Calvo said it is a multiethnic empire. You could start with the Etruscans that most probably were non-IE people comming from Anatolia and were one of the biggest cultural influences of Rome.

Now, i don't know if those white-supremacists touched Egypt, but there it's not hard to proove things since Egyptians spoke an Afroasiatic language.

I will probably return with more info on the Romans.

Dúnadan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Dúnadan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 23:25
Thanks to you all. I'm thinking about writing a long essay on this. I already knew Dienekes, he his blog is great. The pictures from Flickr are great.

Oh, and by the way, Kemp seems to be a great photoshoper :P.  He is a total fraud, he should be completly ignored.
Dhall View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Dhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2009 at 04:32
I might add a few things to consider:

The Greek civilization developed in a mountainous and rocky region in which short distances were very hard to travel through land. This is why I think there were city-states formed in ancient Greece. I think this is a good point for proving that the ancient Greeks did not intermix with other peoples, at least at the heart of their culture and in a larger scale. A Greek society was conservative and closed for the non-Hellene, and it is so even today.

And the face Flipper posted looks totally Greek. I "think" I can identify Greek features on people such as, a particular nose and eyebrows, short height and muscular built, etc.

And let me add that I too was puzzled with all the "Northern Race Superior to all" for some time, until I read about all the achievements of ancient Greeks.
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2009 at 07:17
Is Arthur Kemp really considered a historian, lol? Seems more like a nutcase to me.

In fact, at one of our museums we have a bunch of original Greek* and Roman busts, inluding several famous Romans, and I've seen them many times. 

They look exactly like modern Greek and Romans, which is especially evident in the better Roman busts, as they are very, very detailed and life like. And furthermore, they represent leaders and nobility.

If you ever get the chance, go to such a museum and see those busts and statues for yourself, a pic just isn't good enough.

* which the Greeks want back!

[ColorfulCaligula.jpg]

Edited by Jams - 17-Oct-2009 at 14:36
Kosmos of Arkadia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Kosmos of Arkadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2010 at 14:37

My family is complete greek origin on both sides, but my hair is dark blond with blue eyes, anytime I am asked about my heritage, or where the name Cosmah comes from, the first thing anyone says is " you dont look greek" the only thing I think looks greek on my face is the bridge of my nose, that being said, Im sure all races are capable of having "nordic" looking traits, i have even seen man of african decendant with blue eyes so lets all give a round of applause to genetics. yaaay!

Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2010 at 01:31
Originally posted by Kosmos of Arkadia

My family is complete greek origin on both sides, but my hair is dark blond with blue eyes, anytime I am asked about my heritage, or where the name Cosmah comes from, the first thing anyone says is " you dont look greek" the only thing I think looks greek on my face is the bridge of my nose, that being said, Im sure all races are capable of having "nordic" looking traits, i have even seen man of african decendant with blue eyes so lets all give a round of applause to genetics. yaaay!

So called "Nordic" feature-blond hair and blue eyes is not a monopoly of North Europeans. Many person from Balkans, Greece, Italy, South France, Spain and Portugal have it. Even some turks (in result of 'turkization' on greek population in Asia Minor), armenians and more georgians. Miserable nazi "scientists" like Arthur Kampf try to misrepresent european history in attempt to glorify Germans and their spurious superiority. I read Julius Caesar`s book "Commentaries on the Gallic War". Germans at this time were primitive warrior tribes which live in huts only by spoil and most disgraceful thing for them was to cultivate food. Gauls at least had civic society, productive farming and democratic institutions.
 According to Suetonius Julius Caesar was tall with black hair and pale skin
Octavian August was with blond hair, blue eyes but very short

Many anceint greeks had blond hair. According to Homer Achilles was blond, although many another personage were medditeranid. According to Plato Socrates had a red hair. Most of the greeks today really have mediterranean appearance and some even middle east appearance. That`s because Hellenization after Alexander`s conquest. In late Antiquity the largest city in the world with greek speakers and people who declare themselves as a "Hellen" was Alexandria in Egypt. Also many slavs (like bulgarians) became greeks in much modern times because of the Patriarchate of Constantinople`s propaganda. Greeks are great example of ancient globalization Wink

Edited by Kanas_Krumesis - 03-Jan-2010 at 01:37
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2010 at 09:49

I would really want to hear two guys discussing about ancient Greece and its "origins":Arthur Kampf  and Martin Bernal  . It would be amazing...one would say that Greeks were like Icelanders and the other like Berbers and Ethiopeans.Tongue

The blond trait doesn't mean "nord" ancestry. You can see Swedish with dark hair and British  look like mediterranean. That doesn't mean that meds colonized Sweden or Wales...

In ancient greek texts you can understand that of course there were among Greeks blond people(xanthoi)  but they were mentioned as something rare. The same goes with modern Greeks, who in majority are not blond neither black haired, but in majority brown haired, from light brown to darker brown.

A nice text from Dienekes' blog:

Greek medical writer Galen “Mixtures”.

"So much for the formation of the hair; we should now pass on to the features of all the incidental features of the mixtures, as regards the differences of hair according to age, place, and nature of the body. The hair of Egyptians, Arabs, Indians, and of general all peoples who inhabit hot, dry places, has poor growth and is black, dry, curly and brittle. That of the inhabitants of cold, wet places, conversely - Illyrians, Germans, Dalmatians, Sauromatians, and the Scythian types of people in general- has reasonably good growth and is thin, straight, and red. Those who live in some well-balanced land which is between these in quality have hair with extremely good growth, which is strong, fairly black, moderately thick, and neither completely curly nor completely straight. The differences due to age are analogous to these: with regard to the qualities of strength, thickness, size, and colour, infants’ hair is similar to the Germans’, hair in the prime of life to the Ethiopians’, and that of ephebes and children to the hair of people of well-balanced lands."

They are portraits from hellenistic Fayum, with a population of Greeks and locals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayum_mummy_portraits

Kanas_Krumesis...you couldn't find many Greeks in Alexandria since the arab conquest of Egypt, and those who were  hellenized there soon got arabized... The last sentence...

Edited by Patrinos - 03-Jan-2010 at 09:52
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2010 at 11:08
Patrinos,  greeks in majority are meditteranean with some semithic (actually not big) admixture from ancient Egypt and Syria. This fact can`t be ignored. In late Antiquity hellenistic civilization adopt most of the old Middle East civilization, and there was no matter where are you living- in Athens, in Antioch or Cyrenaica (which made joint province with Crete in roman times). You are hellen- follower of greek way of live, language and culture. Ancient people travel a lot. May be more than present days. There wasn`t borders during Roman empire. They swap ideas, barter and gene. For example great Apuleius work on both greek and latin language. He was born in Africa, from Berber origin, but studied Platonist philosophy in Athens for years.
BTW Alexandria was very attractive place to living for ancient intellectuals and citizens from older Greece. Famous for refined way of live. Something like California today Smile

Edited by Kanas_Krumesis - 03-Jan-2010 at 11:13
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2010 at 15:10
about what Greeks do you speak? about modern one, about those of the Turkish occupation, about those of the Slavic invasion, about those of The Roman Empire, the Hellenistic Era, the Classic or the Dark ages or even of the Minoan period?
It is not completely clear but the first "Greek" groups arrived in this area 4000 years ago, the Dorians just 3000 years ago. The oldest historic literature that we know is from about 500 BC and even Homer isn't older than 750 BC. Usually do we speak of Greeks with the first Ionian and Achaian migration, but a Greek community surely never existed before the dark ages.
These first groups came probably from the NORTH, but that doesn't mean Scandinavia or Germany. They came from the Balkans, but perhaps they or at least some came from Little Asia and belonged to groups like the indoeuropean Luwioi. Among these Indoeuropeans and of course among the later Dorians there were blond and blue eyed people, while the original population of the Minoian culture and earlier was of an mediterranian habitus. So in later times (the indoeuropean) blond became a sign of nobility, because the indoeuropean groups succeeded, so it seems that not every Greek that was called blond in literature was it really.
Modern blond Greeks can be of many origins. They can have old Indoeuropean, Greek ancestors, as well as Celtic or Gotic ancestors, they can descend from medieval knights, from Turkish christian slaves, from Vikings or modern tourists and many more.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2010 at 15:48
Romans were a mix of many different ethnics so there is no somthing like typical Roman type. Talking about Roman ethnicity is a complete nuissence.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>