Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Massive anti-government demonstrations in Tehran!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Massive anti-government demonstrations in Tehran!
    Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 23:46
One thing is that they were shouting against the government (dolat), not the establishment (hokumat).  I hope they wake up.  The problem is at the very top and down.

And as usual the western media stays conspicuously silent.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 23:52
Here is in Shiraz. Inside one of major Universities, students are demonstrating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mlNHAubgEo&feature=player_embedded

Anfører
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 00:10
Some photos.

Anfører
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 00:15

Anfører
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 00:17
Unfortunately, Al Jassas is right. Nothing will come of this, if nothing else, this regime is decisive and will not repeat the mistake of that incompetent idiot Shah in not crushing protests at the early stage.  They will nip any dissent in the bud.

The only chance is when that dog khamenei dies that someone like Rafsanjani will take his place and turn the country into a western bitch, which is far more desirable than anything we can hope for now.

Edited by Zagros - 14-Jun-2009 at 00:18
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 00:25

Anfører
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 00:40

Anfører
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 01:37
Would  Mousavi have really made a difference? if so how and why?

To be honest I was suprised, most Iranians I spoke to seemed to support him, he definately appealed to the Turkic population in Iran and attracted huge crowds in Tabriz, most regions in Iran he seemed pretty popular, how did it go wrong.

Edited by Bulldog - 14-Jun-2009 at 01:39
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 07:47
Well here is somone who thinks differently.

Wishful thinking from Tehran

Since the revolution, academics and pundits have predicted the collapse of the Iranian regime. This week, they did no better

I have been in Iran for exactly one week covering the 2009 Iranian election carnival. Since I arrived, few here doubted that the incumbent firebrand President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad would win. My airport cab driver reminded me that the president had visited every province twice in the last four years – "Iran isn't Tehran," he said. Even when I asked Mousavi supporters if their man could really carry more than capital, their responses were filled with an Obamasque provisional optimism – "Yes we can", "I hope so", "If you vote." So the question occupying the international media, "How did Mousavi lose?" seems to be less a problem of the Iranian election commission and more a matter of bad perception rooted in the stubborn refusal to understand the role of religion in Iran.

Of course, the rather real possibility of voter fraud exists and one must wait in the coming weeks to see how these allegations unfold. But one should recall that in three decades of presidential elections, the accusations of rigging have rarely been levied against the vote count. Elections here are typically controlled by banning candidates from the start or closing opposition newspapers in advance.

In this election moreover, there were two separate governmental election monitors in addition to observers from each camp to prevent mass voter fraud. The sentimental implausibility of Ahmedinejad's victory that Mousavi's supporters set forth as the evidence of state corruption must be met by the equal implausibility that such widespread corruption could take place under clear daylight. So, until hard evidence emerges that can substantiate the claims of the opposition camp we need to look to other reasons to explain why so many are stunned by the day's events.

As far as international media coverage is concerned, it seems that wishful thinking got the better of credible reporting. It is true that Mousavi supporters jammed Tehran traffic for hours every night over the last week, though it was rarely mentioned that they did so only in the northern well-to-do neighborhoods of the capital. Women did relax their head covers and young men did dance in the street.

On Monday night at least 100,000 of the former prime minister's supporters set up a human chain across Tehran. But, hours before I had attended a mass rally for the incumbent president that got little to no coverage in the western press because, on account of the crowds, he never made it inside the hall to give his speech. Minimal estimates from that gathering have been placed at 600,000 (enthusiasts say a million). From the roof I watched as the veiled women and bearded men of all ages poured like lava.

But the failure to properly gauge Iran's affairs is hardly a new phenomenon. When the 1979 revolution shattered the military dictatorship of America's strongest ally in the region few experts outside of the country suspected that the Islamic current would emerge as the leading party.

But in Iran, even the secular intellectual Jalal Al-e Ahmad, author of the infamous Occidentosis predicted the collapse of the regime at the hands of Islamic movement well over a decade before the fateful events of 1979. The maverick French philosopher, Michel Foucault, also made the right bet as he reported the events from the street – an insight that his many admirers still shy from. Since the revolution, academics, intellectuals and pundits have predicted the imminent collapse of the regime. As of today, they have done no better.

Such anomalies can only be explained by a longue duree. Iran is a deeply religious society. Of the Shah's mistakes nepotism, autocracy, and repression were fought by communists and liberals for decades with no success, but it was his attack on the religious establishment that led to his almost overnight demise.

Since then common Iranians have applied their ideals through the ballot box. In 1997 as the ashes of the Iran-Iraq war settled and the country saw a decade relative stability, voters came out in mass to support the former president-cleric Khatami against his rival, Natiq Nouri, a senior member of the establishment. Western reporters saw this in terms of a grand generational divide: young freedom loving liberals against elder conservative clerics. But it was really a vote for the ideal of honesty and piety against allegations of entrenched corruption. Many of those same Khatami supporters voted for Ahmedinejad yesterday, despite the fact that Khatami's face was on every one of Mousavi's campaign posters.

For over a week the same social impulses of anti-corruption, populism, and religious piety that led to the revolution have been on the streets available to anyone who wanted to report on them. Ahmedinejad, for most in the country, embodies those ideals. Since he came into office he has refused to wear a suit, refused to move out of the home he inherited from his father, and has refused to tone down the rhetoric he uses against those he accuses of betraying the nation. When he openly accused his towering rival, Ayatollah Hashemi Rafsanji, a lion of the revolution himself, of parasitical corruption and compared his betrayal to the alleged deception against the Prophet Muhammad that led to the Sunni-Shia split 1,400 years ago, he unleashed a popular impulse that has held the imagination of the masses here for generations. That Rafsanji defended himself through Mousavi's newspaper meant the end for the reformists.

In the last week Ahmedinejad turned the election into a referendum on the very project of Iran's Islamic revolution. Their street chants yelled "Death to all those against the Supreme Leader" followed by traditional Shia rituals and elegies. It was no match for the high-spirited fun-loving youth of northern Tehran who sang "Ahmedi-bye-bye, Ahmedi-bye-bye" or "ye hafte-do hafte, Mahmud hamum na-rafte" (One week, two weeks, Mahmoud hasn't taken a shower).

Perhaps from the start Mousavi was destined to fail as he hoped to combine the articulate energies of the liberal upper class with the business interests of the bazaar merchants. The Facebook campaigns and text-messaging were perfectly irrelevant for the rural and working classes who struggle to make a day's ends meet, much less have the time to review the week's blogs in an internet cafe. Although Mousavi tried to appeal to such classes by addressing the problems of inflation and poverty, they voted otherwise.

In the future, observers would do us a favour by taking a deeper look into Iranian society, giving us a more accurate picture of the very organic religious structures of the country, and dispensing with the narrative of liberal inevitability. It is the religious aspects of enigmatic Persia that helped put an 80-year-old exiled ascetic at the head of state 30 years ago, then the charismatic cleric Khatami in office 12 years ago, the honest son of a blacksmith – Ahmedinejad – four years ago, and the same yesterday.

• Abbas Barzegar is a PhD candidate in religious studies at Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 08:18

coup d'état

I've talked to my family in Iran and they said cell phone systems and Internet are down. There are some evidences which show Revolutionary guards has rigged the polls and hijacked the reformist candidate Mr Musavi (the real winner of the election). There are hundreds of arrests from journalists, activist, Reformist leaders and webblogers. Reformist campaign speaker said about a coup d'etat which occur after election by Revolutionary guards. He said Mr Musavi was the winner and we had the report from interior ministry which confirm Mr Musavi the winner and Supreme leader has been informed about it. The interior ministry has asked the reformist party to avoid from any provocation act against the hard liner losers and asked the news paper to do not use the word victory on their top lines. then in some hours everything changed the revolutionary guards attacked the reformist central office and arrested many reformist leaders and take Mr Musavi in the house arrest. Then they showed a piece of paper which shows supreme leaders approval of Ahmadi Nejad as the new president.  At the moment all Iranian major cities are unrest and thousands of people are in the streets. I personally saw the video from Tehran, Tabriz, Isfahan, Kermanshah, Shiraz and Mashhad which shows people are clashing with police and putting car and buses on fire.

USA is giving the signal take a look at this article.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/13/us.military.iran/index.html

Right now is the best time to strike against this fanatical regime or you have to deal with them later. Now you have the support of people of Iran, if you do not take action they will be slaughtered in the streets by this regime, and you have to pay for that with confronting a crazy nuclear Iran hijacked by apocalyptic maniac cult called Hizbullah and specially Hujatiah party which are the most extremest of the hizbullah party, later. Many Basij and Revolutionary guards commanders belongs to the hujattiah party.

Edited by Suren - 14-Jun-2009 at 08:33
Anfører
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 08:47
Sparten, I read what you post and to me this man looks like a supporter of the regime not a true Iranian.

There are many wrong information about his article which one of them is about parties' representatives on the voting poll locations. According to sources inside Iran and the reformist party speaker most of the reformists representatives has been expelled from voting poll locations which shows a major wrong doing in election beside for the first time in Iran after 1979 they start just to give numbers with out exact information about province , county and cities. They simply added up number and said there you go you have this numbers. One hard liner candidate Mr Rezai (which is from the same party as Ahmadi nejad) said in his hometown which is a small town from 900 votes media has said he got only 30 votes and Ahmadi nejad got 800. He mention his own family and relatives which has voted for him are over 100 people.

Edited by Suren - 14-Jun-2009 at 08:49
Anfører
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 08:55
I don't understand why you dislike the Iranian government so much that you're prepared to call for an invasion, and I can't bring myself to believe any of these rumours of rigging the vote count.

Why can't Ahmedinejad win? Its not like Bush wasn't reelected.

And why is "Police" written in English on Irani riot shields?

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 14-Jun-2009 at 09:00
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 08:58
Simply, have you ever lived or been in Iran? Ask the question from Iranians and get your answer straight. I wanna see how you react when Taliban hijack pakistani government and treat people like sheet.

Edited by Suren - 14-Jun-2009 at 08:58
Anfører
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 09:08
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

And why is "Police" written in English on Irani riot shields?

Because they have been imported that's why!
Anfører
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 09:19
Originally posted by Bulldog

Would  Mousavi have really made a difference? if so how and why?

To be honest I was suprised, most Iranians I spoke to seemed to support him, he definately appealed to the Turkic population in Iran and attracted huge crowds in Tabriz, most regions in Iran he seemed pretty popular, how did it go wrong.
Mr Musavi is an ethnic Azeri that's why he has the support from Azeri region and he is a respected politician and a reformist which make it double. Mr Musavi's wife is a university prof and Mr Musavi is an engineer. I have the links for Azeris clashed with police in Tabriz if you want I can post them here.
Anfører
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 09:59
I have family in Iran, lots of them. They all seem to think that the protests are wishful thinking by expats.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 10:02
Originally posted by Suren

Simply, have you ever lived or been in Iran? Ask the question from Iranians and get your answer straight. I wanna see how you react when Taliban hijack pakistani government and treat people like sheet.

Hey, if the Taliban acted like the Iranian government I'd vote for them myself. Whatever is bad about the Irani government, its still better than Pakistan. The point to prove that is no-one has been killed yet, not mentioning Iran has government services.

They don't repaint them? Or have them made to order?

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 14-Jun-2009 at 10:02
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 10:15
This one is great people help a guy to scape from police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwUMmMgIaeI
Anfører
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 10:17
Originally posted by Sparten

I have family in Iran, lots of them. They all seem to think that the protests are wishful thinking by expats.

Then I have to be sorry for your relative who live there! are they Iranians?

Edited by Suren - 14-Jun-2009 at 10:24
Anfører
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2009 at 10:23
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Originally posted by Suren

Hey, if the Taliban acted like the Iranian government I'd vote for them myself. Whatever is bad about the Irani government, its still better than Pakistan. The point to prove that is no-one has been killed yet, not mentioning Iran has government services.

They don't repaint them? Or have them made to order?

Then you are so gullible if you think no body has been killed. I have 5 confirm death in Tehran only. One of my relative who is a 19 years old guy is in coma right now. He was beaten on the head by batons. Do you know really what are you talking about? Do you really trust Iran media which is owned by government? and what is good about Ahmadi nejad administration which you are bragging about it? If you really vote for Taliban government in Pakistan then I do not need to talk to you.

About the paint job I have no Idea why they did not. The only reason which I can think of is because they are second hand.

Edited by Suren - 14-Jun-2009 at 10:27
Anfører
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>