Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do Latin Americans look

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do Latin Americans look
    Posted: 19-May-2009 at 11:48
Originally posted by lirelou

I would have stated: "Assimilation, education, and westernization share most of the credit."

I see their absorption into the general population as a positive development, allowing them greater life expectancy, a higher standard of living, and greater opportunities.

Not always. In many cases life expectancy, health and physocological wellfare of indigenous peoples has become worse after or in the process of so called assimilation. To many times these peoples are assimilated into the lowest ranks of society, into a life of drugs, violence, prostitution, dirt, misery and suicide.

Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2009 at 11:57
Originally posted by lirelou

So, the DNA material does exist to show "Taino" DNA. And, if the "representative" slice of the population holds true, 62% of all Puertorricans have had at least one female ancestor within the past 500 years who was a "Taina". Obviously, that does NOT exclude them from having a whole lot of other mixture in their genetic soup, nor does it make them "Tainos". Such a finding is not surprising. In my old adopted home town, the names of those who had arrived in 1508 were alive and well, and many of their descendants still owned most of everything. There were even Ponce de Leons a few towns over, descendants of the first governor's daughter whose husband had adopted her family name. So, a few Taino women could very well be the progenitors of a gene pool numbering in the tens of thousands.

One must always remember that there are many sources of error in DNA studies. Sometimes it seems possible to prove almost anything with DNA studies. Just look at the example with Hebrew DNA in some Native American populations that the mormones claim to have found:

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2009 at 14:14
Originally posted by Carcharodon

[
One must always remember that there are many sources of error in DNA studies. Sometimes it seems possible to prove almost anything with DNA studies. Just look at the example with Hebrew DNA in some Native American populations that the mormones claim to have found:

Please, don't you tell me you also believe in the theory of the Lamanites Confused
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2009 at 14:36
Originally posted by pinguin
Please, don't you tell me you also believe in the theory of the Lamanites Confused
[/QUOTE

NO, I don´t believe in the theory about the Lamanites. I just used it as an example that one also must be cautious in the matter of claims based on alleged DNA evidence.

NO, I don´t believe in the theory about the Lamanites. I just used it as an example that one also must be cautious in the matter of claims based on alleged DNA evidence.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2009 at 14:55
It is very well established already the percentage of Amerindian DNA in the modern populations of Latin America. In fact, further studies have done no more than confirm the first results.
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2009 at 15:14
Originally posted by pinguin

It is very well established already the percentage of Amerindian DNA in the modern populations of Latin America. In fact, further studies have done no more than confirm the first results.

Noones actually arguing against that, one just have to understand thet DNA studies are not fool proof.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456