Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why did Constantine XI refuse 2 surrender?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did Constantine XI refuse 2 surrender?
    Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 22:49
Why did Constantine XI refuse to surrender?
By eaglecap

The Byzantine Greeks fought against great odds and faced an Ottoman army of about 85,000 soldiers vs. 7,000 defenders.   The odds were stacked againt the Greeks but yet the Emperor and his subjects refused to surrender. The Ottomans were just as determined to take the city.

The Turks had sought to enter the city with a fanatic spirit because the Prophet, in the Qu’ran, offered them a special place in paradise. Sultan Mehmet only mimicked the Prophet Muhammad when he said, "...even if some of us should die, as in natural in war, and meet our destined end, you know well from the Qu’ran what the Prophet says, “that he who dies in battle shall dine whole in body with Mahomet, and drink with him in paradise and he shall take his rest in a green spot and fragrant with flowers, enjoying the company of women and virgins and he will bath in gorgeous baths. All these things he will enjoy in that place by God's favor."
Despite facing such great odds the Byzantines would defend their ancient Christian capital, with great tenacity, against the armies of Mehmet.

Mehmed himself was very determined:
The Sultan replied that it was not possible for him to withdraw, “either I take the city or the city takes me alive!” But, if you wish to withdraw from the city in peace I will give you the Peloponese and to your brothers I will grant other Provinces and we shall be friends. If I am forced to take the city by siege then I will slay you and your Nobles and allow my troops to pillage the surviving population. It is sufficient even if the city is empty of its people.

Norwich Julius John. Byzantium; The Decline and Fall, Alfred A. Koupf, New York: 1996

At least two reasons come to mind but what else caused him to refuse to surrender the last bastion of the Romans?

Constantine XI reply, I think, gives us a hint as to why they refused to surrender their beloved capital.

1.     “For it was not possible to take the city from the Romans and turn it over to the Turks. Were we to do this, along what road or in what place or Christian City could they settle where the inhabitants would not spit upon the Romans and revile them and mortify them? And not only Christians but also Turks and Jews would treat them with contempt.” Also, he had hoped add from the Christian west would arrive but sadly it did not.

Dourkas, Decline and fall of Byazantium to the Ottoman Turks - translated by Harry J. Magoulias – Wayne State University Press 1975 Detroit, 218

2.     The Byzantines believed that the angel of the lord would appear before the column of Constantine the Great and hand a sword to a common man. At this point the Greeks would chase the Ottoman back to the borders of Persia. I will put my source on this after I find it.

Of course not all of the defenders were so positive:

People remembered the ancient prophetic books from the time of the earlier Arab siege, their gnomic, oracular verses were widely recited; “misfortune to you, city of the seven hills, when the twentieth letter is proclaimed on your ramparts. Then the fall will be near and the destruction of your sovereigns.” The Turks were seen as an apocalyptic people signifying the last judgement, a scrooge sent by God as a punishment for Christian sins.

Runciman, Steven.The Fall of Constantinople 1453. Cambridge University Press 1975, 173

He seemed to be under a lot of pressure but yet he stood by his people to the very end. As an ethnic Greek I think of his acts as being heroic but that is only my opinion- please do not turn this into a Greek vs. Turk thread. I have great respect for Mehmed as the leader of his people.

Looking at only the man - why do you think Emperor Constantine Palaeologus refused to surrender to the Sultan Mehmed?

Edited by eaglecap - 23-Feb-2009 at 23:10
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 23:11
Good question. 

Although "great man" history is not in vogue anymore, and even if we cut through all the tropes and encomiums of Byzantine sources, it seems that Constantine XI had a genuine sense of honor and love for the empire about him.

Of course, his father Manuel II bowed his neck to the Ottomans and became a vassal of the Sultan.  In his letters you can see a kind of sad resignation to a very depressing situation.  He thought he was able to preserve lives and some Byzantine religious freedom by doing this.

His brother John VIII tried to bargain with West, which his father and previous emperors had also attempted, but earned the eternal hatred of the Byzantine people and clergy for it.  Plus the promised help never really came from the West.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 23:21
Tell me, would you want to go down in history as the man who surrendered Constantinople, bad enough being the man who lost it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 23:24
He played politics as usual. Backing anti-Ottoman politics when he thought they were weak enough, playing his role, and had a built up momentum of successful defenses at the walls for a millennium. The few times that the city had been taken it was through mishap or treachery; not outright success of the siege. This time that didn't work out, for one there was a mishap yet again, and two there was enough of a concentrated effort to breach the walls. He may have had a "hero" mentality if you will, but also a lot of built up arrogance that cost him the throne that could have been preserved for at least another generation or two, or longer in an altered form (such as maintaining several outposts while relinquishing the city). In the end arrogance and the belief that a combination of the walls holding and a procedural treaty ending the prolonged siege won out. Of course we all can only speculate on this more than pin point facts at maximum certainty. 
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 23:33
I think these are all valids points-

hey Byzantine I would love to read this letter- do you have a link?

Of course, his father Manuel II bowed his neck to the Ottomans and became a vassal of the Sultan. In his letters you can see a kind of sad resignation to a very depressing situation.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 23:36
Originally posted by es_bih

He may have had a "hero" mentality if you will, but also a lot of built up arrogance that cost him the throne that could have been preserved for at least another generation or two, or longer in an altered form (such as maintaining several outposts while relinquishing the city). In the end arrogance and the belief that a combination of the walls holding and a procedural treaty ending the prolonged siege won out. Of course we all can only speculate on this more than pin point facts at maximum certainty.

Yes, I agree that he did try to play politics, especially by rejecting the Sultan's initial offer of mercy before the siege began.

However, what seems like arrogance to one translates to bravery for another.  We do know that Constantine had several chances to evacuate the city.  Several other emperors did this very thing and saved their lives and in some cases their reigns.  Given the situation in 1453, the latter probably would not have happened.

Did he and the other Byzantine imperial officials die out of arrogance?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 23:40
Originally posted by Sparten

Tell me, would you want to go down in history as the man who surrendered Constantinople, bad enough being the man who lost it.

I think he was aiming more at a ceasefire. It worked enough times to establish a precedent for him to believe it a viable option. Previous Emperors were able to re-establish treaties and keep the city. Even the 4th Crusade was 249 years in the past at that moment. And the retaking of the city 192 years at the point. There was a precedent to holding it out and establishing an honorable peace without giving up the city.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 23:41
Not that they died out of arrogance, but rather that they thought that it was viable to hold out and retain the city.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 23:51
Originally posted by eaglecap

I think these are all valids points-

hey Byzantine I would love to read this letter- do you have a link?

Of course, his father Manuel II bowed his neck to the Ottomans and became a vassal of the Sultan. In his letters you can see a kind of sad resignation to a very depressing situation.

The Letters of Manuel II Palaeologus: Text, Translation, and Notes. Translated by George T. Dennis. Corpus fontium historiae Byzantinae, v. 8. Washington: Dumbarton Oaks Center for Byzantine Studies, Trustees for Harvard University, 1977.

It can be viewed in part at Googlebooks:

I will forewarn all who read it that Manuel wrote his letters in the typical Byzantine archaic, classicized style.  The details are obscured in flowery Attic Greek and rarely appear as they were in reality.  However, some useful information can be gleaned here and there about Manuel's contemporary situation.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 23:56

I agree with you and to modern Greeks his stance is seen as heroic and yes he could have escaped. I also do not think he trusted the Sultan's promises to settle him peacefully in the Peloponnese. I think the Sultan had to execute him because Constantine XI could have been a rallying point for the Greeks and other Balkan people to rise up and rebel. This does not mean it would have happened but Mehmed was a bit paranoid about such things. He had his infant brother straggled to death because of his fears. So, why would he have kept the Emperor alive, even after peacefully surrendering the city? I think the Emperor had good reason not the trust Mehmed. Although, Mehmed allowed the Greeks church lands which should have been seized because they refused to surrender.   I know there is a statue in Greece of Constantine XI and I agree it was not arrogance and in everything I have read most of the cities populace and many of their allies supported his stance. There were some Byzantines and allies who fled beforehand but most stuck it and fought.

I am not sure if he trusted in the below statment!!
But, if you wish to withdraw from the city in peace I will give you the Peloponnese and to your brothers I will grant other Provinces and we shall be friends

I really do not think the Emperor put much trust into his word.

Edited by eaglecap - 24-Feb-2009 at 00:00
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 23:58
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

I think these are all valids points- hey Byzantine I would love to read this letter- do you have a link? Of course, his father Manuel II bowed his neck to the Ottomans and became a vassal of the Sultan. In his letters you can see a kind of sad resignation to a very depressing situation.

The Letters of Manuel II Palaeologus: Text, Translation, and Notes. Translated by George T. Dennis. Corpus fontium historiae Byzantinae, v. 8. Washington: Dumbarton Oaks Center for Byzantine Studies, Trustees for Harvard University, 1977.

It can be viewed in part at Googlebooks:

I will forewarn all who read it that Manuel wrote his letters in the typical Byzantine archaic, classicized style.  The details are obscured in flowery Attic Greek and rarely appear as they were in reality.  However, some useful information can be gleaned here and there about Manuel's contemporary situation.

Thanks I will look into ordering this for my library although most of my focus has been on Southwest history for the museum so in time I will read it.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 21:57
Originally posted by Sparten

It is true he did not want to go down in history as the Emperor who surrendered Constantinople- hit the nail right on the head. Although it was not out of arrogance but he knew the fate of the vanquished under Ottoman Turk rule. I believe he really feared the fate of his subjects and even though he could have fled he instead choice to fight to the end. I know about the different stories about his attempt to flee at the end etc but I would like to believe he died with his right hand of valor held high in combat defending his beloved capital and people.
His reply to the Sultan's demands for surrender.

The Emperor Constantine’s replied back, "If you wish to live, as your fathers did, peacefully, by the grace of God, you can live peacefully with us. The Emperor refused to go down in history as the final Emperor who surrendered to the heathen. Just prior to the first assault the Emperor mounted his horse and made a circuit of the walls to rouse the sentries to keep diligent and stay awake. Having checked that was all was good and gates were securly locked, at first cockcrow, they climbed the tower at the Caligaria gate with its good view to witness the enemies preperations.
Dourkas, Decline and fall of Byazantium to the Ottoman Turks - translated by Harry J. Magoulias – Wayne State University Press 1975 Detroit, 201
Nestorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Nestorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2009 at 14:28
Let me put it this way. Possession of the capital was the symbol of the right to claim to be ruler of the Romans and a legitimation of the Roman Empire. Surrendering the city is to cede that right to rule and to exist. Constantine was fighting not only for his rulership, but for the idea of the Empire itself.

In short: you can't have an Emperorship without the Imperial capital.

It is absurd to characterise what the last Emperor or his officials did as arrogant. They were desperately outnumbered and outresourced. I do not believe it was the delusion that they could hold the city that kept them there. As I said before, the concept and idea of possessing the capital was more than just capturing a city. It was the right to rule.

Considering Mehmed's claim as successor of the Roman Emperor's, we may indeed see it this way.

We must consider Constantine's character, everything he had done was in the service of the Empire. He could not do otherwise. He did what every ruler should do. Fight and protect his subject even in the face of oblivion.

Foolish? Yes. Noble? Even more so! But arrogant and deluded? By no means.
Isa al-Masih, both God and Man, divine and human, flesh and spirit, saviour, servant and sovereign
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2009 at 17:41
Why would he surrender? Geek
sitalk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote sitalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2009 at 18:45
Maybe this is the answer:

"My opinion then is that the present time, above all others, is inopportune for flight, even though it bring safety. . . . For one who has been an emperor it is unendurable to be a fugitive. May I never be separated from this purple, and may I not live that day on which those who meet me shall not address me as mistress. If, now, it is your wish to save yourself, O Emperor, there is no difficulty. For we have much money, and there is the sea, here the boats. However consider whether it will not come about after you have been saved that you would gladly exchange that safety for death. For as for myself, I approve a certain ancient saying that royalty is a good burial-shroud."
[Procopius, History of the Wars, I]

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2009 at 18:55
Originally posted by sitalk

"My opinion then is that the present time, above all others, is inopportune for flight, even though it bring safety. . . . For one who has been an emperor it is unendurable to be a fugitive. May I never be separated from this purple, and may I not live that day on which those who meet me shall not address me as mistress. If, now, it is your wish to save yourself, O Emperor, there is no difficulty. For we have much money, and there is the sea, here the boats. However consider whether it will not come about after you have been saved that you would gladly exchange that safety for death. For as for myself, I approve a certain ancient saying that royalty is a good burial-shroud."

Interesting - I will have to look up this source! Even though he has been a bit romanticized he is, to people of the Balkans and Greeks, a heroic figure in history.

rkconstantinestatue.jpg

His sword, in his right hand of valor, held high
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2009 at 20:03
Originally posted by Nestorian

Let me put it this way. Possession of the capital was the symbol of the right to claim to be ruler of the Romans and a legitimation of the Roman Empire. Surrendering the city is to cede that right to rule and to exist. Constantine was fighting not only for his rulership, but for the idea of the Empire itself.

In short: you can't have an Emperorship without the Imperial capital.

While I agree that the symbolic significance of Constantinople was important, and that any new emperor post-1204 would want it in order to establish legitimacy, practically speaking, however, the Byzantines could have done quite well staying in Nicaea.  Michael VIII Palaiologos was perhaps a bit too ambitious in moving back into the City as quickly as he did.

Originally posted by sitalk

Perhaps, but these are the words of the empress Theodora to Justinian in the sixth century!  Plus, Justinian had the services of many competent generals and administrators at his disposal at the time.  People such as Belisarius, Narses, and John the Cappadocian helped him regain sovreignty after the Nika revolt. 

Constantine XI Palaiologos did not have the resources or the talent at his disposal.  I guess one could argue that Giuistiani and Notaras were able commanders at the siege of 1453.  But they definitely did not have the resources.

Interesting - I will have to look up this source! Even though he has been a bit romanticized he is, to people of the Balkans and Greeks, a heroic figure in history.

It is interesting to note that Constantine XI is depicted in the statue wearing the klibanion and grieves. Big smile

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 10:51
I do not believe it was the delusion that they could hold the city that kept them there.

It is. Istanbul was one of most protected castle at world(It is not a poor citadel) and as we both know, If someone want to take a castle, He should have more resources and soldiers.

It was not an easy war for Ottomans. Overestimating ottoman power and underestimating castle of istanbul is wrong. If Europeans sent help, Most probably, Ottomans could not take castle.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2009 at 01:19
Originally posted by Mortaza

I do not believe it was the delusion that they could hold the city that kept them there.

It is. Istanbul was one of most protected castle at world(It is not a poor citadel) and as we both know, If someone want to take a castle, He should have more resources and soldiers.

It was not an easy war for Ottomans. Overestimating ottoman power and underestimating castle of istanbul is wrong. If Europeans sent help, Most probably, Ottomans could not take castle.

Constantinople prior to May 29th 1453 and Istanbul afterwards, although, I agree with your statement.

from Byzantine Emp:
It is interesting to note that Constantine XI is depicted in the statue wearing the klibanion and grieves.
eaglehat:
Do you think it is historically accurate for 1453? I have read numerous books about Byzantine warfare and armor but what do you think?

I know Istanbul is not a Turkish word and it came from a Greek word which meant THE CITY. Offhand I cannot recall the Greek word- Does anyone know???? Byzantine Emp or Mortaza what do you say?

Edited by eaglecap - 07-Apr-2009 at 01:49
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2009 at 02:06

Do you think it is historically accurate for 1453? I have read numerous books about Byzantine warfare and armor but what do you think?

I have often wondered this myself.  Unfortunately, with the unspecificity of both the narrative and documentary sources about such "mundane" things as weapons/armor, and the destruction of late Byzantine artifacts by classical archaeologists, it is difficult to tell what a late Byzantine soldier wore and used.

Of course, some late Byzantine warrior saint icons depict them wearing both old Roman and medieval armor.  There is a mixture of classicization and probable reality.  I tend to think that the Byzantines did not have the resources to mass-produce arms in the late period, or at least not on the scale as in earlier times.  Who knows if any of the smithies and fabricae were still in operation at Constantinople, Thessaloniki, or Mistras.

At any rate, we discussed some of these issues in the following threads:

Byzantine Metalworking - starting on page 1

I know Istanbul is not a Turkish word and it came from a Greek word which meant THE CITY. Offhand I cannot recall the Greek word- Does anyone know???? Byzantine Emp or Mortaza what do you say?

From "eis tin polin," which means "into/to the city."

Constantinople comes from the Greek for "City of Constantine."  The official name for the original city was Byzantion/Byzantium and then Nova Roma after Constantine I transferred the capital there.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>