Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cultural Elements from Shamanism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cultural Elements from Shamanism
    Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 10:42

Are there any Shamanistic beliefs which are still believed and respected by todays generations of modern Turkic nations? I know that some Turkic nations are still Shamanists, but I mean in the Muslim Turkic communuties, from Uighurs to Turkey Turks...

I heard that not cutting your nails at night, not chewing gum at night and also not looking a mirror in darkness are some of these cultural inheritances of thousands of years...

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 12:13
Yes, actually the old Shaman Turkish New Year.  It just past a couple days ago.  Most people call it Nevruz or close to it, or Ergenekon Bayram.  Most Turkish nations and regions celebrate this day, the only Turks I know of that don't celebrate it are Turks of western Turkey.  It represents the day the Gokturks left the Ergenekon Valley to form the new Turkish empire and also the Shaman New Year.  This year we're in the year of the Bird.  They Shaman calendar is a 12 animal calendar, close to the Chinese calendar.
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 16:48

I hate the name "Ergenekon" when it's used for the creation myth of the Gk Trks. Ergenekon is the name of the Mongol Creation Myth and the CM of the Gk Trks was surely different from Ergenekon though both myths are still quiet similar to each other.

Anyway; there are still Terist elements in Turkish Islam; such as respecting the dead, constructing large tombs for important people, tying colored things to trees, etc...

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 18:15
Why don't you like the word Ergenekon?  I was always taught that myth was for Turks as well as Mongols.  Do a lot of Turks agree with you?  Because you're the first Turk I've ever hear say that.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 20:01
AFAIK you can find many elements of Siberian and central Asian shamanism in Native American religions, left overs from teh crossings I guess, even in sedentary Olmec society the shaman retains the power that he had in Siberian tribal structure.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 22:57
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

I heard that not cutting your nails at night, not chewing gum at night and also not looking a mirror in darkness are some of these cultural inheritances of thousands of years...

hmm...who would look at a mirror in the dark?

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 23:08
Korea's hardly a Turkic nation, but we still retain lots of Shamanistic elements..

My mom's real into reading dreams..

My uncles get mad when I whistle at night. "It calls snakes"

People still consult Mudangs (Shaman Priestess).

SK's religious affiliations are divided between the Christians and the Buddhists, but everyone still believes in some Shamanist stuff.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 11:14

Yeah, building great tombs is one of them. Just look at it. Turks build two great tombs for Ataturk and Turgut zal (Well, I dont think he deserved one...).

And about Nevruz, it is the beginning of the new year in old Turkish 12 animals calender, and it is still celebrated.

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 12:24
I believe that's what I had said.
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2005 at 05:22

Why don't you like the word Ergenekon?  I was always taught that myth was for Turks as well as Mongols.  Do a lot of Turks agree with you?  Because you're the first Turk I've ever hear say that.

Ergenekon or Ergene-khun belongs to the Mongols, not to the Turks. The Turkic peoples in general didn't have a common myth like this but the Gk Trks had a similar myth which is recorded in Chinese sources. Some weirdo 20th century Turkish statesmen decided that Ergenekon belongs to the Turks so they made us celebrate it in the Coming of the Spring festivals.

Funny thing is that the Mongolian Ergene-khun or the Mongolian Creation Myth is probably a different version of the Gk Trk creation myth but after all these two are different myths and they should not be confused.

Besides, the Gk Trk creation myth belonged only to the Gk Trks, not to all the other Turkic peoples. The Gaoche, Uyghurs, Qrghz, Oghuz, etc had their own creation myths or legends like that.

And about Nevruz, it is the beginning of the new year in old Turkish 12 animals calender, and it is still celebrated.

Well actually Nevruz/Navroz/whateverthehellitis is an Iranic thing; however, what we celebrate is the Coming of the Spring festival and Nevruz is just one of the many such festivals which were and are being celebrated by countless peoples in the World. The Romans, Greeks, Chinese, Iranians, Turkics, etc etc all had their own festival and Nevruz was the Iranian one. When we Turks started contacting with the Islamic World, the name of the Turkic festival was changed to Nevruz and today the Turkic World celebrates it's festival with the name of the Iranian festival.

Steppes History Forum
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2005 at 15:40
I always thought this myth went along with all Turks.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 09:26

The Oguz people have their own myths of creation, like the myth of creation from a tree and a male wolf.

But I think Ergenekon was a common myth btw Turkic people and Mongols, maybe not Oguz...

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 11:16
Oguzoglu, if you remember the Oguz Turkish myth may you tell it to me.  I only know the Ergenekon myth.  Thank you.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 13:28

Yeah, sure :

this link is a fine Turkish source:

http://tt.baskent.edu.tr/turkmitolojisi/oguz.htm

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 14:13
Good source, thank you. 
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 16:56
Originally posted by ihsan

Some weirdo 20th century Turkish statesmen decided that Ergenekon belongs to the Turks so they made us celebrate it in the Coming of the Spring festivals.

Who were those statesmen? It seems like they were influential on all around Central Asia and Turkic republics. Very interesting.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 18:06
Does anyone know of any other shamanic/turkic elements in contemporary turkish culture?  Also, the theory of Native Americans originating from Asia, any good resources (book, film, website)? 

What percentage of our -turkish- culture from the steppes of Asia do we still have inbedded in modern turkish culture?

Any insights/ideas/sources to offer, anyone?
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 04:11
Ergene-khun belongs to the Mongols and the Turkic didn't have a common creation myth, it's this simple. Get it people.

Steppes History Forum
Hmongshaman View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hmongshaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 22:28
WOW, shamanism! Hmong, Mien, Lisu, Ahka, and other minority ethnic in today Asian practice Shamanism...Hmong or Miao been practicing shamanism for thousand of year....wow, I didnt know that some of yal know about shamanism...coooool
Hmong is the beautiful people of Western China.
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 23:50
Yea we do, Turks were Shamans before they adopted Islam.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>