Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

French revolution 1789-1804 book recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: French revolution 1789-1804 book recommendations
    Posted: 18-Jan-2009 at 01:12

Hello all, as some of you might have noticed I've been getting increasingly interested in classical liberalism, the decline of the ancien regime and proto-Marxism, and thus, their historical manifestations and context. Can anyone recommend any good books on the French revolution, or perhaps more generally, the overall state of Western Europe in the mid-late 18th century, perhaps reaching up to the revolutions in 1848? I feel this area is a major gap in my knowledge, and I think it's a really good area to have some background of.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2009 at 01:51

I rode pieces of the great works of Georges Lefebvre and Albert Soboul, they are between the better historians in this matter althought they are marxists

-Georges Lefebvre: if i remember well he have a work of two volumes about the The French Revolution with that title or something close, a classic.

-Albert Soboul: he have a basic book called too "The French Revolution" and several more of course, he centered many articles around the roots in XVIII century, but i can say these articles are hard to read.

There is another author, who i couldn't read very well but was very interesting, he wasn't marxist but "atlantic", he tought that in fact a correct approach to the revolutions must be atlantic

-Jacques Godechot: "France and the atlantic revolution of the eighteenth century" and "The Napoleonic Era in Europe"

I talk about those guys because i have read some of their works.

Edited by Ikki - 18-Jan-2009 at 01:52
 Post Reply Post Reply