Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1453/1492

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Bernard Woolley View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bernard Woolley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1453/1492
    Posted: 24-Jan-2009 at 03:57

Originally posted by eaglecap

I disagree and the fact that so many Genoese and Venetians volunteered to fight with the Byzantines in 1453 testifies to their concerns. From my research many people in the west did not realize how serious the threat to Constantinople was till it was too late.

Genoans yes, Venetians no. Which would probably help explain why the Venetians got much better trade terms with the Ottomans. Despite the volunteers, though, almost all of the European governments who cared to have any position at all on the Ottoman-Byzantine conflict chose to remain officially neutral.

Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Bernard Woolley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2009 at 03:58

Originally posted by Maharbbal

But overall, the Ottomans were neither free traders nor mercantilists. They simply did not care. Merchants were poorly regarded, the instutions were not well fitted to traders' needs (high cost for a commercial trial) and they never had the will to catch up with the European comptitors interms of maritime technology or infrastructure (so much so that the Europeans had to build their own port in Smyrna).

This is very wrong. During the period we're discussing, Ottoman land transport infrastructure was better than that of any European country and it's maritime infrastructure was perfectly respectable. Further, Ottoman military policy demonstrates an enormous appreciation for the importance of maritime trade. The hugely expensive invasions of Cyprus, Rhodes, Crete, Malta, and the many island bases in between were carried out solely to secure the shipping routes in the Eastern Mediterranean. I think I agree with Beylerbeyi that you're confusing the Ottoman Empire of the 15th century with the chaotic mess that it would turn into in later centuries. I believe the following statement of yours confirms that:

Seems to me all they cared about was on land and mostly agrarian, their fiscal and military power bases were there, they did not care about the merchants, otherwise why so few Ottoman merchants around the Med and why most of them came from the peripheries (Greek islands, Maghrib) and were commonly Christians (cf Armenia traders in Aleppo)?

The Ottoman traders who traded most with Christian countries were often Christian Ottomans. This was just the smoothest way to do things, and shouldn't be at all surprising. If Christian merchants would later go on to dominate the entire empire's trade, this was largely because Europe had become so powerful that European trade came to dwarf that from other places. If the apparatus of state would later retract to a point where it was nothing more than a series of rural tax farms, this was largely because it had effectively lost the capacity to do anything else. In the 15th and 16th centuries, however, these developments were still a long way off.

I know Mohammmed was a merchant.. and so what? Jesus was a carpenter, it does make carpenters specials in Medieval Europe!

A small point, but actually many evangelist movements that emphasize a personal relationship with Jesus pair that with an emphasis on the inherent dignity of the honest tradesman. The "Jesus was a carpenter" tradition does serve a purpose in imparting moral values, as does the "Mohammed was a merchant" tradition. The bazaars and caravansarais were always important to Islamic societies, and always benefitted from the generous patronage of ambitious leaders - including Ottoman ones.

No, the Med never managed to create the likes of the Atlantic economy nor enjoyed the famous colonial wares that triggered the consumer revolution in the late 1600s. Under the Ottomans' watch the Mediterranean trade has grown nearly irrelevant for the Northern countries after 1670.

The original question in this thread was about a time when the Atlantic economy had yet to come into existence. Certainly that economy would eventually eclipse, many times over, the Mediterranean trade, but the point stands that this doesn't in any way indicate that the Mediterranean trade was shrinking in absolute terms. It's also a bit misleading to say that Mediterranean trade grew irrelevant for Northern European countries after 1670, since they (I assume you mean countries like England and the Netherlands) were not heavily invested in it to begin with. Certainly - to return to the original point of the thread - they never had important trading interests in Byzantium that were cut off when Mehmet took Constantinople.

As it happen I wrote a whole dissertation on the subject a couple of years ago so what the Brits did was 1. on their way to the Med sell stuff to the Portuguese and Spaniards for bullion 2. carry fret for about every one (the Maltese, the Barbaresque, the Italians) 3. bring cheap clothes and expensive products (clocks, books) to Constantinople and sell it for bullion and 4. exchange woolen cloth and metal for silk and other goods.
There was a significant period during which England was not yet the sole ruler of the seas and still traded with the Levant (roughly from 1580 to 1680). Besides, the fact that England was the objective ally of the sultan against Spain doesn't mean much since nearly every one was the enemy of Spain at that time. A permission to trade with the Empire was even granted to ... the subjects of the Pope (from the port of Ancona mostly) and Genoa.

I’m glad they managed to rebuild a whole fleet in one year, but they proved utterly incapable of improving much on the design of the ships they had inherited.

So to sum up, the Ottoman Empire was flawed on a financial, economic and commercial point of view. The costs of trading there were huge, much higher than in most places of the world (getting capitulations and having them renewed was long, painful and took a lot of money). These costs more than anything else explain the inability of other Europeans to break Venice’s monopoly on trade with the Grand Signior for over a century.

I understand the argument you're making here, but I don't think any of this applies to the time period we're talking about. The process by which non-Mediterranean powers broke into the Mediterranean market in the 17th century isn't relevant to the original question, which was whether the Ottoman presence drove trade away from the Med. With the exception of Spain, all of the Atlantic powers built their maritime shipping industries in the Atlantic and Indian oceans (and even Spain's Atlantic initiatives had little connection to its Mediterranean ones), and this experience would end up creating the most efficient model for moving goods by sea up to that time. As a side benefit, the Atlantic powers found that they could out-compete traditional shippers in local markets everywhere, including the Mediterranean.

I also think you're being more than a little too harsh in your judgement of Ottoman trade practices. I don't agree at all that the Ottomans made trade especially difficult or expensive, and I'd be interested to know what parts of the world offered easier access to European traders - aside from those that were forced to. Of course you had to know how to operate in the Ottoman Empire to trade there, but that's how it is everywhere, even today (It's not like I'd be allowed to pull up to a dock on the coast of England and start unloading goods for immediate sale). Your argument that transaction costs were what prevented Northern European traders from competing with Venice doesn't really make sense, since Venice obviously had no problem absorbing those costs. I find it more likely that Northern European traders, having absolutely no expertise in trading with the Ottoman Empire, understandably didn't do a very good job of it at first. Successful trading relationships require large reserves of trust, and trust invariably takes time to build.

Your description of English trade practices in the Mediterranean also points to another reason why it would have taken so long for them to become successful - direct trade between Northern Europe and the Ottoman Empire wasn't profitable enough. The descripiton you give sounds a lot like what the English, Dutch and Portuguese were doing in East Asia and the Indian Ocean at that time: taking over the local freight business with their bigger, better ships and making much their money off commissions rather than off the sale of their own goods. They did this in most of the places where they encountered rich societies and high-value products, and it was highly profitable, but it necessitated setting up a complex network of contacts, factories, warehouses, bases, etc.

Which brings us to the "infrastructure" of trade, which in this case means ships and ports. While it's true that the Ottomans never developed the kind of capacity for bulk ocean trade that the Atlantic powers did, I hardly think you can fault them for that considering how far they were from any oceans. The ships they used were appropriate for what they had been doing, and investing in ocean fleets didn't make sense for the Ottomans for the same reasons that, in the 20th century, investing in ocean fleets didn't make sense for the Soviet Union. There wasn't any incentive for the Ottomans to build this type of ship or the port facilities to accomodate them, especially since most Mediterranean ports were already optimized for a particular class of vessel and most vessels were optimized for a particular class of port.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2009 at 20:22
Originally posted by Bernard Woolley

But overall, the Ottomans were neither free traders nor mercantilists. They simply did not care. Merchants were poorly regarded, the instutions were not well fitted to traders' needs (high cost for a commercial trial) and they never had the will to catch up with the European comptitors interms of maritime technology or infrastructure (so much so that the Europeans had to build their own port in Smyrna).

This is very wrong. During the period we're discussing, Ottoman land transport infrastructure was better than that of any European country and it's maritime infrastructure was perfectly respectable. Further, Ottoman military policy demonstrates an enormous appreciation for the importance of maritime trade. The hugely expensive invasions of Cyprus, Rhodes, Crete, Malta, and the many island bases in between were carried out solely to secure the shipping routes in the Eastern Mediterranean. I think I agree with Beylerbeyi that you're confusing the Ottoman Empire of the 15th century with the chaotic mess that it would turn into in later centuries. I believe the following statement of yours confirms that:

Seems to me all they cared about was on land and mostly agrarian, their fiscal and military power bases were there, they did not care about the merchants, otherwise why so few Ottoman merchants around the Med and why most of them came from the peripheries (Greek islands, Maghrib) and were commonly Christians (cf Armenia traders in Aleppo)?

The Ottoman traders who traded most with Christian countries were often Christian Ottomans. This was just the smoothest way to do things, and shouldn't be at all surprising. If Christian merchants would later go on to dominate the entire empire's trade, this was largely because Europe had become so powerful that European trade came to dwarf that from other places. If the apparatus of state would later retract to a point where it was nothing more than a series of rural tax farms, this was largely because it had effectively lost the capacity to do anything else. In the 15th and 16th centuries, however, these developments were still a long way off.

I know Mohammmed was a merchant.. and so what? Jesus was a carpenter, it does make carpenters specials in Medieval Europe!

A small point, but actually many evangelist movements that emphasize a personal relationship with Jesus pair that with an emphasis on the inherent dignity of the honest tradesman. The "Jesus was a carpenter" tradition does serve a purpose in imparting moral values, as does the "Mohammed was a merchant" tradition. The bazaars and caravansarais were always important to Islamic societies, and always benefitted from the generous patronage of ambitious leaders - including Ottoman ones.

No, the Med never managed to create the likes of the Atlantic economy nor enjoyed the famous colonial wares that triggered the consumer revolution in the late 1600s. Under the Ottomans' watch the Mediterranean trade has grown nearly irrelevant for the Northern countries after 1670.

The original question in this thread was about a time when the Atlantic economy had yet to come into existence. Certainly that economy would eventually eclipse, many times over, the Mediterranean trade, but the point stands that this doesn't in any way indicate that the Mediterranean trade was shrinking in absolute terms. It's also a bit misleading to say that Mediterranean trade grew irrelevant for Northern European countries after 1670, since they (I assume you mean countries like England and the Netherlands) were not heavily invested in it to begin with. Certainly - to return to the original point of the thread - they never had important trading interests in Byzantium that were cut off when Mehmet took Constantinople.

As it happen I wrote a whole dissertation on the subject a couple of years ago so what the Brits did was 1. on their way to the Med sell stuff to the Portuguese and Spaniards for bullion 2. carry fret for about every one (the Maltese, the Barbaresque, the Italians) 3. bring cheap clothes and expensive products (clocks, books) to Constantinople and sell it for bullion and 4. exchange woolen cloth and metal for silk and other goods.There was a significant period during which England was not yet the sole ruler of the seas and still traded with the Levant (roughly from 1580 to 1680). Besides, the fact that England was the objective ally of the sultan against Spain doesn't mean much since nearly every one was the enemy of Spain at that time. A permission to trade with the Empire was even granted to ... the subjects of the Pope (from the port of Ancona mostly) and Genoa.

I’m glad they managed to rebuild a whole fleet in one year, but they proved utterly incapable of improving much on the design of the ships they had inherited.

So to sum up, the Ottoman Empire was flawed on a financial, economic and commercial point of view. The costs of trading there were huge, much higher than in most places of the world (getting capitulations and having them renewed was long, painful and took a lot of money). These costs more than anything else explain the inability of other Europeans to break Venice’s monopoly on trade with the Grand Signior for over a century.

<FONT face=Arial size=2><FONT face=Arial size=2>

I understand the argument you're making here, but I don't think any of this applies to the time period we're talking about. The process by which non-Mediterranean powers broke into the Mediterranean market in the 17th century isn't relevant to the original question, which was whether the Ottoman presence drove trade away from the Med. With the exception of Spain, all of the Atlantic powers built their maritime shipping industries in the Atlantic and Indian oceans (and even Spain's Atlantic initiatives had little connection to its Mediterranean ones), and this experience would end up creating the most efficient model for moving goods by sea up to that time. As a side benefit, the Atlantic powers found that they could out-compete traditional shippers in local markets everywhere, including the Mediterranean.

I also think you're being more than a little too harsh in your judgement of Ottoman trade practices. I don't agree at all that the Ottomans made trade especially difficult or expensive, and I'd be interested to know what parts of the world offered easier access to European traders - aside from those that were forced to. Of course you had to know how to operate in the Ottoman Empire to trade there, but that's how it is everywhere, even today (It's not like I'd be allowed to pull up to a dock on the coast of England and start unloading goods for immediate sale). Your argument that transaction costs were what prevented Northern European traders from competing with Venice doesn't really make sense, since Venice obviously had no problem absorbing those costs. I find it more likely that Northern European traders, having absolutely no expertise in trading with the Ottoman Empire, understandably didn't do a very good job of it at first. Successful trading relationships require large reserves of trust, and trust invariably takes time to build.

Your description of English trade practices in the Mediterranean also points to another reason why it would have taken so long for them to become successful - direct trade between Northern Europe and the Ottoman Empire wasn't profitable enough. The descripiton you give sounds a lot like what the English, Dutch and Portuguese were doing in East Asia and the Indian Ocean at that time: taking over the local freight business with their bigger, better ships and making much their money off commissions rather than off the sale of their own goods. They did this in most of the places where they encountered rich societies and high-value products, and it was highly profitable, but it necessitated setting up a complex network of contacts, factories, warehouses, bases, etc.

Which brings us to the "infrastructure" of trade, which in this case means ships and ports. While it's true that the Ottomans never developed the kind of capacity for bulk ocean trade that the Atlantic powers did, I hardly think you can fault them for that considering how far they were from any oceans. The ships they used were appropriate for what they had been doing, and investing in ocean fleets didn't make sense for the Ottomans for the same reasons that, in the 20th century, investing in ocean fleets didn't make sense for the Soviet Union. There wasn't any incentive for the Ottomans to build this type of ship or the port facilities to accomodate them, especially since most Mediterranean ports were already optimized for a particular class of vessel and most vessels were optimized for a particular class of port.

thanks useful info
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 02:44
Sorry I’m replying late, I had a few things to do. So lets see.

First and foremost, lets not forget the initial question: without 1453 would 1492 had happen?

I’m saying that yes it would have maybe slightly differently of course but it would have.

For some reason, the subject matter drifted towards the qualities of the Ottoman Empire as a institution regulating and fostering trade and commerce.

I’m saying that the OE (as the Byzantines and the Mamlukes before them) were not trade-friendly and impeded the commercial development of the territories and populations under their rule (overall with a few brilliant exceptions).

This is very wrong. During the period we're discussing, Ottoman land transport infrastructure was better than that of any European country and it's maritime infrastructure was perfectly respectable.

First, lets not compare the land routes with maritime trade. For two reasons:
1. Although the value traded were sometimes similar, in terms of volume it is just not in the same league.
2. The growth in terms of productivity of the Oriental sea routes were minor over the Ottoman period and might even have decreased. On the other hand, transportation and transaction costs for the European maritime trade fell dramatically.

Granted I’m no specialist of the OE but it really seems to me that their maritime infrastructures were less than optimal by 15th-16th century’s standard.
We can for instance compare Portugal with any part of the OE and realize that the latter lacked:
1. The fantastic innovative abilities of the Portuguese shipbuilders of the time.
2. The type of institutions such as the navigation school of Sagres.
3. The involvement in the dense European network of map-makers, captains, ship-makers, craftsmen, etc. that quickly spread the best practices from Genoa to the Baltic.
4. The so-called seaports systems of Porto and Lisbon that knitted together these each one of these centers with tens of smaller ports providing food, men and material.

Many countries in Europe had the same type of infrastructures and institutions or were on the verge of acquiring it. On the other hand, the OE had nothing approaching neither in terms of technology nor the organization the European model.

True enough, the Ottoman navy enjoyed a complex system quite comparable with the European seaport systems, but precisely it was a military organization, not one oriented toward trade. The only organization looking a bit like the European model were the Greek merchant networks specially those of the former Venetian colonies which retained important links with Venice.

This commerce was important and some even got involved in partnerships with the English merchants to export dry fruits and dyes to London. But this trade was quite limited and many Greek sailors had no other options but to join other merchant navies or to become one of the dreaded Barbary pirates.

Yet this was clearly a second best option as shows the fact that, during the short extinction of the European trade between 1790 and 1815, all the Barbary corsairs suddenly became the most active traders of the Mediterranean. But they could not compete in peacetime and after 1815 they quickly had to resume their pirate activities.

Further, Ottoman military policy demonstrates an enormous appreciation for the importance of maritime trade. The hugely expensive invasions of Cyprus, Rhodes, Crete, Malta, and the many island bases in between were carried out solely to secure the shipping routes in the Eastern Mediterranean.

I’m really not convinced. It may be true for Rhodes and to a lesser extend for Malta. But it is totally false for Cyprus and moreover for Crete. In Crete, the Venetians were doing their outmost to hunt down the Northern pirates and the Ottoman pretext to attack was really hypocritical. The point of the invasion was to gain territories and calm down the troops. They saw an opportunity, they seized it. Little to do with security. Regarding Malta, I think it was in line with the general Ottoman offense in the West; once more if they existed the security issues were really secondary.

I think I agree with Beylerbeyi that you're confusing the Ottoman Empire of the 15th century with the chaotic mess that it would turn into in later centuries.

I would adopt a Braudelian approach to this question. In other words lets think long term: a recent article by Bosker, Buringh and van Zanden has shown that the relative decline of the Eastern Mediterranean compared to Europe had started c. 1250 and the Ottoman could not stop it although they managed to slow it down from 1450 to 1500. So basically, their inherited the Abbasids’, the Byzantines’ and the Mamlukes’ mess but they did not manage to reverse the tide at any point (I’m talking economically, not politically).  

Besides, if I am not mistaking the territorial bias of the Ottoman rulers did not start fater the death of Suleyman. The landed military class of the Sipahis and the system of the timars dates back way before.

I’m perfectly ready to admit that the situation got worse, but it was never great.

The most important advantage Ottoman Christian traders had was commercial contacts with Europe often predating the Ottoman conquest. But the Muslim traders were most often then not perfectly welcomed in Europe be it in Venice (Fundaco dei Turchi), in Ancona, in France, in Tuscany, in Savoy or even in England and the Netherlands. But no important Muslim trading community arise.

Actually, the Ottoman cities seldom develop along the sea, and following a long Mediterranean Muslim tradition tended to develop inland (Damascus, Cairo, Bursa, Bagdad). More importantly even urbanization did not increase under the Ottoman rule (showing little productivity increase) and big towns remained dominating (these being usually service and administrative hubs as opposed to industrial districts with export-oriented sectors).

This general situation was true during the Ottoman Golden Age as well as during the OE’s long decadence.

I’m sorry but you underestimate the significance of the Ottoman market for the European wares in the early modern period. The OE remained France’s, England’s and the Netherland’s main extra-European export market until c. 1680-90 (even later for France). But as the quick decline of the regional industries linked to the OE shows (Langedoc, Leyden, Yorkshire), its significance quickly decrease in the last quarter of the 17th century. For several centuries it had been Europe’s main export and import market. Its quick demise is too dramatic not to be considered. Basically the OE totally missed its European integration and became a backwater while the rest of Europe turned to Asia and the Americas.

I agree with you, entering any market was very difficult and costly. That being say, I think entering the Ottoman one was particularly difficult and costly.

Here are a few reasons:
1. Unlike any other early modern example I know of, you had to obtain and renew the right to trade in the OE. This treaty had to be purchased every five years and was tellingly called a Capitulation (similar to the Byzantine Chrysobules).
2. The bureaucratic system was very costly, any procedure took time and a lot of money.
3. Piracy, rebellions and bandits officials created costs that had to be faced with armed ships and convoys.
4. The corrupt officials managed to regularly obtain ‘avanias’ (i.e. undue fines and taxes), the fact that the word used is Italian testifies that the habits was in place before the 17th century.
5. Unlike any example I know, the merchants were forced to build infrastructures by themselves (bridges, khans and entire harbours).
6. Finally some peculiar and endogenous issues increased the cost of doing trade in the OE: buying back your friends held as slaves by Ottoman subjects, facing various diseases (malaria in Scanderone, plague elsewhere in Syria and Palestine).

All these costs forced the traders to pull their resources into companies and factories. Consuls existed in every ports, but why would the merchants accept such costs and limit their own freedom (and pay so much for the European monarchs’ protection)? And why would such companies arise in the OE and not Italy, Spain, the Baltic, etc? Trading with the OE was particularly difficult, one way to overcome this difficulty was to gather under the umbrellas of the Levant companies.

The situations were highly varied, the English had a positive commercial balance with the OE while the French and particularly the Dutch did not. They needed the extra trafficking to acquire the bullion necessary to buy the Asian exotic wares. This trade was quite profitable during the 17th century and before.

Once more I don’t agree. True the Ottomans were not in a position that required massive ocean-going equipment. Yet , the necessity they faced in the 1660s to build ships on the European model shows that up to a point, the European model was relevant for them. Up to a point they should have developed modern infrastructures because they were commercially and strategically relevant.

I am a free donkey!
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 13:58
I’m saying that the OE (as the Byzantines and the Mamlukes before them) were not trade-friendly and impeded the commercial development of the territories and populations under their rule (overall with a few brilliant exceptions).
Your message is full of typical ignorant racist/orientalist banter which did not counter any of the points I (or for that matter BW) raised earlier. You still repeat your lies 'Ottomans had no innovations in ship building, had no institutions, had bad infrastructure, etc'. Clearly your skull is heavily armoured. I won't attempt to penetrate it any more.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 02:22
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

First of all GOLD did not flow East, SILVER did, gold went the other way.

Well, yes, the West did not have much gold to send East. Ottomans and Memluks had it, as it came from Sudan. But the flow was not only in one direction.

Wrong. After the Ming’s 15th century financial crisis, a massive arbitrage appeared between East Asian gold and European gold. Basically, the Chinese were buying silver at a 1/1 ratio with gold while in Europe you had a 2/1 or even 3/1 ratio. Even before Columbus Europe was a very important producer of silver.

1. Trading with the Turks was VERY expensive and VERY risky. Without some good connections with the major civil servants in Constantinople which were difficult and once more expensive to create you'd be robbed to you last pair of panties by the local corrupt officials. You couldn't just jump in the first port and trade, you needed the sultan to accept you.

This is just racist stereotyping. Ottomans had no more corruption than Westerners until about 1550s. In fact they had much less corruption.

As far as I know, the English traders in Portugal did not have to collect found to offer to the Portuguese prime minister to ask something to the king. Nor did the French in Sweden, nor the Venetians in the Low Countries, etc.
I know no equivalent to the avanias so dreaded by European merchants in the Levant nor anything like the capitulations (once more note the name of the trade treaty) asked by the Sultan and that had to be repeated every five years.

Don’t call it corruption if you don’t want to call it like that. Indeed it is more complicated. But lets say they had an odd and heavy tax system, an a quite humiliating one as well.

I don’t see what is racist about that.

Yes, but this is not because of Ottoman corruption. It is because Italians had special advantages granted to them by the Ottomans (which were revoked during times of war, but re-granted afterwards). Later in the 16th century (that means 1500s) first the French and later the British were given these permissions as well. The Dutch, for instance, were trading with British flags until they got their permissions. The French used their early permissions to weaken Venetian trade. The British did too, but it took them longer.

My point is: setting up a company was an expensive endeavour but a necessary one in the context of the European trade with the OE. Why would the Brits and the Dutch had gone through the hassle to create such heavy institutions that made them so easily taxable by their home states?

Surely they would not have done it and settled for the usual independent traders system hadn’t trade with the OE been so expensive. In other words: the costs were so huge the traders had to gather to foot the bill. By their own admission the most important reason the English merchants created the English Levant Company was to face collectively the avanias and other costs so as to reduce the risks for a single individual.

Other problems were also for instance collective responsibility of the foreign merchants. In other words, if a Dutch merchant had debts and could not pay, the whole Dutch merchant community was held responsible and had to repay the one merchant’s creditors. The same was true for acts of piracy, crimes, etc. Regularly for instance European ships and merchandizes were seized to cover the losses of Ottoman merchants due to European acts of piracy.

This type of collective liability had disappeared in Europe since the 14th-15th century and sometimes earlier. This was a very expensive system for the merchants held liable for all and any of their countrymen. It was ineffective and backwardish. It is not racist, I am not saying all Turks were idiots, I’m saying their trade laws were not as effective as the European standard of the time.

? Of course, other trade routes became more important. How can you blame the Ottomans for that? What are they supposed to do, FFS, de-colonise America? Capture South Africa and found a base in Antarctica and patrol the sea between?

No but had their economy grown and stayed open, they could have remained a major market for European wares and a provider as well. I mean Egyptian cotton and sugar could have retained their 15th century predominance. And then who knows?

I think you are taking some blind bets here, inspired by what Mortaza has written. Ottomans state involvement in trade to 'boost import' was to reduce tariffs. That is free trade. You are also wrong about the Ottoman state before 1560, that it was 'smaller', 'leaner', whatever. What it was was 'more centralised'. Which was not smaller.
Also you have an blind ideological position (market fundamentalism), so you will refuse to accept the fact that the Ottomans were free traders compared to the mercantalist Westerners, because it undermines your dogmas that free trade leads to development. No matter how many sources I bring to you, you will always say, 'that is not real free trade'. Your types are also saying that the current finance crisis is caused by government intervention. If they left the banks alone, the market would have fixed itself, right?

I’m sorry but you seem a bit confused about the terms here.

1.    The Ottomans were not free traders. For instance the conscious decision to cripple the Salonica textile industry (after a short Golden Age in the early 1500s) testifies of a major state involvement. The state intervened to shape the country’s production and the location of its industries that makes it an interventionist state. It is not because they favoured import, while most state interventionists tend to favour export that they were free traders.
2.    On the other hand, the OE had very little ability to intervene on the economy, nor did any of the governments of the time. Up to a point they were all free traders since they had limited potential impact on the market.
3.    The English government hardly ever got involved with production even though they sometimes tried to favour trade. Besides, the real first mercantilist legislations in England (the Navigation Act of 1651) intervened 70 years AFTER the Brits entered the Ottoman market so surely it doesn’t explain it.
4.    The French mercantilist policies were… a total failure. The production of cloths for the Levant fell dramatically during Louis XIV reign. On the other hand, the little regulated protestant industries managed to thrive after the partial liberalization following Louis XIV’s death.
5.    The European states involvement in the Levant trade proved successful in only one case: they managed to organize the trade itself (i.e. transport plus management of the agents in the Levant factories) better than independent merchants would have done. And that is because the government was best equipped to cope with the pirates and interact with the Sultan. But as the case of the thriving American colonies and the dynamic intra-European trade shows was an atypical case, forced upon the merchants by the specially high costs and risks of trading in the Levant.

Majority of the traders in the Black Sea and also between Egypt and Anatolia were Muslims.

And they were so successful that the Ottoman urbanization (a proxy of productivity) stayed at rather low level by early modern standard, no significant industrial towns developed, etc.

Most Ottoman cities were “consumer” urban centers (as opposed to “producer” ones as was common in many parts of Europe. The Ottoman economy was locked in a medieval high equilibrium trap and did not manage to escape it before the 1800s.

Well, maybe you don't know much about the Ottomans, then. Christians later dominated the domestic trade, but it was not in the 15th and 16th centuries.

I must have missed the successful Muslim merchant communities spread all over Europe in the 15th century. I see the Greeks in the Netherlands and London and Italy and Portugal in the 16th century but the Muslim ones were really scarce.

Not just wheat trade, all domestic trade. And in the Ottoman Empire, 'domestic trade' means from Budapest to Basra. 

Come on what wares were traded between Budapest and Basra. The Ottoman trade was ultra centralized around a few urban consuming centers, and that was pretty much it. I might be mistaking but nothing compared to the continental division of labour reached as early as the 13th century in Europe for instance by the textile industries.

More racist stereotyping, rather than true knowledge of the historical facts, I am afraid.

Frankly if I wanted to grace my ears with the craft of pundit I’d watch O’Reily.

As to the poor 'Europeans' 'having to' ask not to be judged by horrible Ottoman courts, well, today the poor Americans in Iraq also 'have to' ask not to be judged by the corrupt Iraqi courts. It has nothing to do with imperialism, oh no! Never. 'Europeans' never do such things. All they want is free trade...  

What does it have to do with anything? Foreign merchants never set up their own courts if they can avoid to do so, it is way too expensive and constraining. They only did so in the OE. Why? Because it was way too dangerous to have the Ottoman bureaucrats involved in  their trade. Once more it was too expensive.

That being said it has nothing to do with what is going on in Iraq nowadays since if an Ottoman subject was involved the case would automatically be handled by an Ottoman court. In the same way, a European unhappy with the consul’s ruling could appeal to the Ottoman jurisdiction.

Regarding Imperialism, well the English were fully aware they were barely welcomed in the Levant and had to behave respectfully. One English consul in Aleppo was even thrown in jail as soon as he arrived in Syria because he had not respected the protocole. In the same way, what kind of imperialist is forbidden to sleep with local women and commonly have to pay taxes invented by local officials???

In reality, until pretty late, Christians and Jews in the Empire regularly applied to the Muslim courts, in domestic matters, because they had better rights in them. And local landlords were not allowed to punish anyone without a judge's decision to their guilt. And the judges answered directly to the high judge in Constantinople. They this system in place and working in 1400 or so. I am not sure how many centuries that is ahead of France. Two? Three?

We’re talking commercial law here. Domestic matters are not treated in the merchants’ courts.

That being said I perfectly agree with you the French legal system in the 17th-18th century was a total mess which crippled the economy and ruined the economy.

More bollocks, I am sorry to say.

No you’re not.

Ottomans had large international trade ports in Antalya and Alanya as well as in Greece. And above all, Dubrovnik, the vassal. Ottoman land trade went there and then to Ancona. Ragusa became filthy rich thanks to that. Not to mention the large ports in the Black Sea, such as Kefe. And this is all before they expanded into the Levant and North Africa.

If you say so… source?

Ottomans only copied or inherited designs form the superior white race and they were 'incapable of improving much'. In reality Ottomans produced the largest vessels the Med has ever seen up to that date in 1490s. And they had better cannons.

Ok lets not get carried away. I’ve just said that the Ottoman had a poor record when it comes to maritime innovation. It is not racist, supremacist or whatever else. They had great cannons and were able to build guns of a size the French vainly tried to reproduce for years before simply giving up. But when it comes to ships, yes they copied Europe models and they did so rather poorly.

You really think Kemal Reis’ Göke was the biggest ship ever to grace the Mediterranean? Come on, the Genoese had sailing ships three times the size! The French at the same time had La Cordelière patrolling the costs of Provence which was easily twice the size of the Göke (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Cordeli%C3%A8re).
More importantly, these ships I am talking about were sailing ship will the Göke was a galley, i.e. the proud yet ill-fated descendant of the medieval ships perfected  in Italy after having been used all over the Mediterranean by Muslims and Christians alike.

I’m sorry to hurt your national pride but the Ottoman did not have good ships and their only real advantage (the massive arsenals around Istanbul) were solely devoted to military stuff. This gave them a significant superiority as they could build more galleys faster than any one else, but it also impeded their capacity to innovate (very little modifications in ship design from 1450 to 1650 (same thing in Venice) while Northern European and Western Mediterranean shipbuilders were gaining a significant advance in basically all the fields that mattered.

So it was functioning well, but was not used by 'Europeans'? What bollocks. Do you think Bursa or Aleppo or Damascus are coastal cities? Please look at a map. Btw, I thought you were arguing above that there were no Ottoman traders? So who was using them? In fact, they were used by 'European' traders as well as by Ottomans and Iranians and whomever, and provided a vastly superior land-based trading network to the contemporary Western ones. And they are extremely relevant, because a lot of the goods which arrived at the ports actually came by land, carried by vast caravans which stayed in caravanserais.

cf what I’ve said about caravans in my previous post.

No Iskanderun it’s 1600 and Smyrna it’s 1650-60. Not the 19th century.

I doubt it. Even if some traders may have built facilities for themselves in the 17th century, that does not mean that Ottoman infrastructure was bad in the 15th and 16th centuries, nor does it mean that the Ottomans did not have other ports. They did.

See Goffman’s Britons in the Ottoman Empire, 1642-1660 and the same’s The Ottoman City between East and West: Aleppo, Izmir, and Istanbul

Well, wrong. You ignore Ottoman domestic trade, which was far more than just wheat. Venetians mention 50 ship convoys leaving Istanbul for Alexandria and meeting with 12 military escorts in Gallipoli to protect them. That's a typical convoy- 62 ships. Doesn't seem like Alexandria lost its importance to me. Not to mention that excess budget of Egypt was sent yearly to Constantinople (500000 gold ducats, count the zeros) from there in early 16th century. What was the total budget of England at that time?

Source? Besides, if trade was so important and varied were is the urban growth than so to speak always accompanies division of labour and productivity rise? No smoke means certainly no fire.

I agree, they were free-traders. They had no tariffs on silver and gold imports either, which destroyed their economy. 

Why would they have tariffs on silver and gold imports? Besides, the Dutch had no restriction on bullion exports while the Spanish did, guess which one had a thriving economy?

The costs of trading there were huge, much higher than in most places of the world (getting capitulations and having them renewed was long, painful and took a lot of money).

Wrong.

Source? Where are your data? What are you basing your opinion on?

Lets take the example of interest rates. While some Turkish territories allowed loans after the mid 16th century, they were basically forbidden in most places within the Empire which crippled the Ottoman industries which could not access credit easily and whose property rights could not be enforced. As a result, loans were extremely expensive and interest rates reached 15% (i.e. 3 to 5 times what it was in Europe at the time). So much so that the European banned their merchants from borrowing from Ottoman subjects since it was identified with usury rates. How do you explain that if not through the ill-functioning of the Ottoman commercial institutions?

Let me give you another example of the ill-managed interventions of the Ottoman state in the economy. In the 1660s, Aleppo managed to grow a dynamic textile industry exporting all over the Empire. But this also meant that the state was deprived from the juicy taxes it collected from entering European wares (on average 5%). To compensate the government taxed them so heavily that the Ottoman producers were quickly forced out of business. So much for “free” trade and the lack of taxes collected on foreign merchants.

So I can only renew my conclusions: the Ottoman institutions were less effective than their European counterparts which destroyed any chance for the Muslim Ottoman traders and producers to compete with the Europeans while they had both the ability and the ambition to do so.

I’m sorry if I sound ‘Orientalist’ or whatever else, but one has to admit that the Ottoman experience after 1500 was overall a failure on the economic point of view, it faced massive problems that came from somewhere. I believe that this somewhere was mostly the government (be it central or local).

I am a free donkey!
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 10:50

Well, yes, the West did not have much gold to send East. Ottomans and Memluks had it, as it came from Sudan. But the flow was not only in one direction.

Europe - although not Western Europe - was a major gold producer. Particularly Hungary and Romania.

1. Trading with the Turks was VERY expensive and VERY risky. Without some good connections with the major civil servants in Constantinople which were difficult and once more expensive to create you'd be robbed to you last pair of panties by the local corrupt officials. You couldn't just jump in the first port and trade, you needed the sultan to accept you.
This is just racist stereotyping. Ottomans had no more corruption than Westerners until about 1550s. In fact they had much less corruption.

Absurd. Not everyone is equally corrupt at all times and noting such is not a 'racist stereotype'. Corruption is a problem today in Italy, for instance, and saying so doesn't make me a racist.
Also you have an blind ideological position (market fundamentalism), so you will refuse to accept the fact that the Ottomans were free traders compared to the mercantalist Westerners, because it undermines your dogmas that free trade leads to development. No matter how many sources I bring to you, you will always say, 'that is not real free trade'. Your types are also saying that the current finance crisis is caused by government intervention. If they left the banks alone, the market would have fixed itself, right?

In the 15th, 16th, and even 17th century, all this talk of market fundamentalism, free trade, state intervention and so on is a complete anachronism. We are talking about bullion-based, largely agrarian economies who produced most of their raw materials and goods locally. Most trade activity dealt in luxury wares or grain.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 16:32
I realize I may have overstated my point. I'm not saying there were no Ottoman merchants nor Muslim Ottoman merchants, there were many and some very important ones. I'm not saying either that the European commercial institutions were the panacea and the Ottoman ones were totally dreadful.

I'm speaking relatively. The Ottoman and chiefly the Muslim Ottoman traders were not as mighty as their European counterparts.

In the same way, the Ottoman commercial institution were not as efficient as the European ones (even though the latter were far from optimal).

Regarding the support of the Ottoman government for their merchants, it ought to be signaled that the Red and Black seas were off limit for the European traders and shipowners at least until the 1700s. (source: Molly Greene, "Beyond the Northern invasion, the Mediterranean in the 17th century").

One good example of the poor functioning of the Ottoman institutions: in 1623, to please the creditors of a French merchant in Aleppo, the cadi had the whole French community arrested.
I am a free donkey!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2009 at 18:32
As I have written 10 times, I am mainly discussing the period 1450-1550, since this is the period relevant for the question at hand. In fact, the question at hand is a silly one: 1453 had nothing whatsoever to do with 1492, because, after 1453 Ottomans consolidated the Black Sea, but 1492 is about Indian trade, which had nothing to do with the Ottomans at the time, because the Ottomans took Egypt in 1517. 

Ottoman Empire after 1550 is a different story. I will mention it. Maharbbal knows about the 17th century and afterwards, when the Western superiority is clear, and this clouds his vision of the earlier situation. 

Don’t call it corruption if you don’t want to call it like that. Indeed it is more complicated. But lets say they had an odd and heavy tax system, an a quite humiliating one as well.

Ottomans gave permissions to the Westerners to trade in their lands. These are usually called 'capitulations'. These permissions were given to different countries depending on the political situation. 

Until 1569 Venice dominated the trade between the West and the OE. Their permissions were revoked during times of war, but quickly reinstated afterwards. The reasons for this are obvious, they were the strongest sea power in the Eastern Med, (OE caught up in the 16th century). And they the trade networks there. When the relations were good, they received even further trade permissions. In 1454 (just after 1453), their customs tax rates were cut to a mere 2% and they were allowed to have a permanent bailo in Istanbul. This ensured their dominance. Also Ottoman vassals Ragusa (Dubrovnik) in the Med and Moldavia in the Black Sea were previlaged in trade. Ragusa's trade fleet expanded from 20000 t in the beginning of the 15th century to 65000 t by 1580. 

Westerners entered the picture after 1569. France got the first real capitulations in 1569, and replaced Venice in 1570-1573 after the OE-Venice war. In 1581 England got some good capitulations (they paid 3% customs sompared to France's and others' 5%, until 1673), and replaced France and Venice as the main trader by 1630. Note that all these changes are mostly due to the capitulations they got from the Ottomans, and not due to them being much superior traders than the Venetians.

But ultimately these are all irrelevant, because between 1450-1550, Venice dominated the Eastern Mediterranean trade. As such, Western discoveries had NOTHING to do with the Ottoman activity in the Eastern Med, because none of those discoveries were made by Venice. There is also no such thing as Ottomans preventing the Med trade, they gave capitulations to Venice, Genoa, Florance and their vassals Ragusa and Moldavia, in this period. 

Ottoman Empire was corrupt after 1550. Before that it was not. You tell us that they were corrupt, without proof. That is racist stereotyping. It is quite common, not just against Turks.

My point is: setting up a company was an expensive endeavour but a necessary one in the context of the European trade with the OE. Why would the Brits and the Dutch had gone through the hassle to create such heavy institutions that made them so easily taxable by their home states?
This is not true, as long as you got capitulations. Especially for land trade. If you were trading on land, you could stay for free in hotels all along the way and the government would provide your security. E.g.: in 1501, the load of a Florantine trader was lost due to a bandit attack in the Balkans, and the government fully compensated. IMO, even if the OE gave capitulations to everyone, Venice would have prevented the Westerners from trading effectively.

Surely they would not have done it and settled for the usual independent traders system hadn’t trade with the OE been so expensive. In other words: the costs were so huge the traders had to gather to foot the bill. By their own admission the most important reason the English merchants created the English Levant Company was to face collectively the avanias and other costs so as to reduce the risks for a single individual.
This relates to a later period. Irrelevant.

Other problems were also for instance collective responsibility of the foreign merchants. In other words, if a Dutch merchant had debts and could not pay, the whole Dutch merchant community was held responsible and had to repay the one merchant’s creditors. The same was true for acts of piracy, crimes, etc. Regularly for instance European ships and merchandizes were seized to cover the losses of Ottoman merchants due to European acts of piracy.
This collective punishment is true for times of war. Other than that, I doubt it. Prove that this was a common practice before 1550 (and that it did not happen in Europe). 

No but had their economy grown and stayed open, they could have remained a major market for European wares and a provider as well. I mean Egyptian cotton and sugar could have retained their 15th century predominance. And then who knows?
Ottoman economy has grown a lot between 1450-1550 (it has at least doubled, my estimate). Surely it was impossible for it to retain its relative importance as new trade routes came around. What you bring up is meaningless. Such relative growth was impossible.

1.    The Ottomans were not free traders.

This is an anachronistic discussion and we should see the terms in context. Given the economic policies of the Western countries, OE was not mercantalist and was a relative free-trader. In time the capitulations became permanent and more lucrative, the Ottoman state became more decentralised and more corrupt, and the Europeans became more mercantalist which in a few centuries' time resulted in the OE becoming an economic dependency of the West.

Of course, Ottomans' primary concern was to supply their military, their palace and their capital (by far the greatest city in Europe) and this was only possible by a system of monopolies and strict controls at that time.  

And they were so successful that the Ottoman urbanization (a proxy of productivity) stayed at rather low level by early modern standard, no significant industrial towns developed, etc.
Wrong. Ottoman urban population increased by an average 80%(!) in the 16th century. As to significant industrial towns, there were a few (Istanbul, Selanik, Bursa, Kutahya), but they had a hard time developing because of the free-trade policies of the Ottomans.

I must have missed the successful Muslim merchant communities spread all over Europe in the 15th century. I see the Greeks in the Netherlands and London and Italy and Portugal in the 16th century but the Muslim ones were really scarce.
Yes, you missed them. There were Ottoman traders of all religions in Italian fairs in the period I am talking about. Especially in Florance and Ancona. Trade in the OE itself, and trade with the South and the East were dominated by Muslim traders. Muslim involvement in trade declined after 1550.

Also lack of Muslim traders is also likely to be due to the policies of the Western states. They were not nearly as tolerant as the Ottomans. If this was the case for the Ottomans, you would have made a lot of noise about how the lack of Christian trader communities shows Ottomans' inferitority... 

Come on what wares were traded between Budapest and Basra. The Ottoman trade was ultra centralized around a few urban consuming centers, and that was pretty much it. I might be mistaking but nothing compared to the continental division of labour reached as early as the 13th century in Europe for instance by the textile industries.
I did not say that there was trade Budapest and Basra. But there was a lot of trade within the Ottoman Empire.

What does it have to do with anything? Foreign merchants never set up their own courts if they can avoid to do so, it is way too expensive and constraining. They only did so in the OE. Why? Because it was way too dangerous to have the Ottoman bureaucrats involved in  their trade. Once more it was too expensive.
There is no proof of this. If Europeans allowed the Ottomans to have their own courts, you would have said that it is a superior trade practice. As I have written before, Ottomans gave the European traders way too much freedom.

Regarding Imperialism, well the English were fully aware they were barely welcomed in the Levant and had to behave respectfully. One English consul in Aleppo was even thrown in jail as soon as he arrived in Syria because he had not respected the protocole. In the same way, what kind of imperialist is forbidden to sleep with local women and commonly have to pay taxes invented by local officials???
Date and reference? Btw, it is perfectly OK to imprison someone who does not follow the law, trader or not.

No you’re not.
Actually I am extremely sorry, that you present this distorted picture, because people are reading it.

Ottomans had large international trade ports in Antalya and Alanya as well as in Greece. And above all, Dubrovnik, the vassal. Ottoman land trade went there and then to Ancona. Ragusa became filthy rich thanks to that. Not to mention the large ports in the Black Sea, such as Kefe. And this is all before they expanded into the Levant and North Africa.

If you say so… source?
Antalya traded with Alexandria and was important before the 17th century (exported wood, imported black slaves, 50 ships per year, traders all Muslims). Alanya was similar. Dubrovnik, I already wrote the change in their fleet size. They paid 12500 ducats/year in tribute. As to the Black Sea, the Moldavian ports (Kili and Akkerman) traded with Poland (income 30000 ducats in 1590, Moldavian traders of all religions and Muslim Turkish traders), Kefe and nearby ports were in Crimea and their income was 45000 ducats (1575), and this is excluding (white) slave trade there, which amounted a massive 100000 ducats in 1550 (it used to be conducted by the Genoese, by 1490 it had about 225 ships per year and something like 80% of the traders were Muslims).   

Most of what is here comes from Inalcik, Ottoman Empire Classical Age, 1300-1600.

You really think Kemal Reis’ Göke was the biggest ship ever to grace the Mediterranean? Come on, the Genoese had sailing ships three times the size! The French at the same time had La Cordelière patrolling the costs of Provence which was easily twice the size of the Göke (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Cordeli%C3%A8re).
Goke was an example. I may have misinterpreted what the book says, Ottomans produced 2 battleships 'largest of that time'. They were 1800 t in displacement each. They were built with the help from Ragusan and Genoese. 

More importantly, these ships I am talking about were sailing ship will the Göke was a galley, i.e. the proud yet ill-fated descendant of the medieval ships perfected  in Italy after having been used all over the Mediterranean by Muslims and Christians alike.
Sailing-only ships are of course larger, but they are not necessarily superior in technology or performance. You cannot compare a galley/galleass with a Caravel or such. In the Med (and in the Caribbean, and in the Baltic), the galleys were still superior to the big sailing ships in the 16th century. Of course this design was perfected by the Italians but it did not mean that the Ottomans had inferior designs.

I’m sorry to hurt your national pride but the Ottoman did not have good ships and their only real advantage (the massive arsenals around Istanbul) were solely devoted to military stuff.
Ottomans ships were as good (if not better) as any other in the Med before 1550. Venice had great facilities for shipbuilding as well, they were not alone in that. As to 'national pride', well, I think I have to decide am I Cuban? Russian? Angolan? Indian? South African? Chinese? Listing a few countries I argued for here in the past. The reason I often end up defending the Ottomans is because a.I know about them b.Orientalists keep lying about them. 

This gave them a significant superiority as they could build more galleys faster than any one else, but it also impeded their capacity to innovate (very little modifications in ship design from 1450 to 1650 (same thing in Venice) while Northern European and Western Mediterranean shipbuilders were gaining a significant advance in basically all the fields that mattered.
1650 is a meaningless date. Ottomans had crap ocean-going ships, but their galleys were as good as anyone else's 1450-1550. Proven as well in Preveza where they defeated a numerically larger force.

Source? Besides, if trade was so important and varied were is the urban growth than so to speak always accompanies division of labour and productivity rise? No smoke means certainly no fire.
The source is 'a Jew called Samuel', the date is 1641. Admittedly, it does not say that the convoy is all going Alexandria. As to Ottoman urban population, it increased greatly in the 16th century.  

Source? Where are your data? What are you basing your opinion on?
It was quite easy to get capitulatins from the Ottomans (if you were friends) and they provided great benefits (just 2% tax). Could you tell us how much the Western countries taxed imports in this period?

Lets take the example of interest rates. While some Turkish territories allowed loans after the mid 16th century, they were basically forbidden in most places within the Empire which crippled the Ottoman industries which could not access credit easily and whose property rights could not be enforced. As a result, loans were extremely expensive and interest rates reached 15% (i.e. 3 to 5 times what it was in Europe at the time). So much so that the European banned their merchants from borrowing from Ottoman subjects since it was identified with usury rates. How do you explain that if not through the ill-functioning of the Ottoman commercial institutions?
The interest rates were not high for the whole 1450-1550 period. I can't give you the details since I don't have the first volume of Stefanos Yerasimos'es book with me. 

Let me give you another example of the ill-managed interventions of the Ottoman state in the economy. In the 1660s, Aleppo managed to grow a dynamic textile industry exporting all over the Empire. But this also meant that the state was deprived from the juicy taxes it collected from entering European wares (on average 5%). To compensate the government taxed them so heavily that the Ottoman producers were quickly forced out of business. So much for “free” trade and the lack of taxes collected on foreign merchants.
Yes, great example (not joking). Year 1660. Ottoman anti-mercantilist policies.

So I can only renew my conclusions: the Ottoman institutions were less effective than their European counterparts which destroyed any chance for the Muslim Ottoman traders and producers to compete with the Europeans while they had both the ability and the ambition to do so.
Define 'European'? Prove that what you have written is true for all 'Europeans'? Prove that what you have written applies to the period 1450-1550?

I’m sorry if I sound ‘Orientalist’ or whatever else, but one has to admit that the Ottoman experience after 1500 was overall a failure on the economic point of view, it faced massive problems that came from somewhere. I believe that this somewhere was mostly the government (be it central or local).

Of course everyone 'admits' that the Ottomans were an economic failure, but not 'after 1500', more like after 1550. You are the one who cannot admit that the Ottomans had a good trade system and superior infrastructure than most (if not all) rivals before 1550. This is only for the sea. For land based trade, they were centuries ahead of any others. These are facts which the Orientalists find so hard to stomach for some reason.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2009 at 19:39
wow- this thread is still growing- oh my god I created a monster-

I would have to do some serious research to really add anything to this but it is good to see the different views. My focus has been on the native American cultures of my area for the museum work; Mogollon, Hohokham and Anasazi.

One thing that fascinated me was a small 4-5 inch stone statue, at the museum, which looke almost exactly like a Cycladic figurine. It was made out of a green colored stone and was more crude but it looks so much like these figurines found on the Cycladic islands of Greece.

You are all welcome to join me in the Americas thread.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 03:34

Also Ottoman vassals Ragusa (Dubrovnik) in the Med and Moldavia in the Black Sea were previlaged in trade. Ragusa's trade fleet expanded from 20000 t in the beginning of the 15th century to 65000 t by 1580.
Ragusa was a sort of free trade zone; not ruled according to Ottoman laws, so not exactly relevant.

Westerners entered the picture after 1569. France got the first real capitulations in 1569, and replaced Venice in 1570-1573 after the OE-Venice war. In 1581 England got some good capitulations (they paid 3% customs sompared to France's and others' 5%, until 1673), and replaced France and Venice as the main trader by 1630. Note that all these changes are mostly due to the capitulations they got from the Ottomans, and not due to them being much superior traders than the Venetians.

Well granted being allowed to trade does help to trade... that being said small stuffs such as the New Draperies and the Dutch-style cloth did help as well.

There is also no such thing as Ottomans preventing the Med trade, they gave capitulations to Venice, Genoa, Florance and their vassals Ragusa and Moldavia, in this period.

17th century

Ottoman Empire was corrupt after 1550. Before that it was not. You tell us that they were corrupt, without proof. That is racist stereotyping. It is quite common, not just against Turks.

C'mon it might be wrong, but it has nothing to do with racism. I'm not saying the Turks were a corrupt race or anything like that, I'm saying that it was always particularly expensive and time consuming to deal with the Ottoman administration.

This is not true, as long as you got capitulations. Especially for land trade. If you were trading on land, you could stay for free in hotels all along the way and the government would provide your security. E.g.: in 1501, the load of a Florantine trader was lost due to a bandit attack in the Balkans, and the government fully compensated. IMO, even if the OE gave capitulations to everyone, Venice would have prevented the Westerners from trading effectively.

My question was: why did the English and Dutch traders relinquished their independence and accepted collective liability? A company is a heavy and expensive system, why would traders ask their government to grant them the privilege to set up a company if they did not have to?

My answer to that is: transaction costs in the OE were such that merchants had to collectivise their trade as a sort of insurance system. Besides, together their bargaining position was stronger. Besides, most trading guilds at the time had to fight to maintain their monopoly position and most of the inter-European trade was undertaken by private independent merchants, so why was there so little free riders, so few smugglers (except withing the companies) when it comes to trading with the OE?

Because trading as an independent merchant was next to impossible for an European trader.

This relates to a later period. Irrelevant.

Not irrelevant because that is very close to the Venetian system of the 15th century and earlier and to the early French system in the OE.

This collective punishment is true for times of war. Other than that, I doubt it. Prove that this was a common practice before 1550 (and that it did not happen in Europe).

No it is true at all time! Individual merchants were always responsible for their compatriots' debts. For instance in 1663 Havley Bishop runned away from Aleppo and the ELC had to cover his debts contracted to Ottoman officials (I don't have an earlier example, except the on already mentioned for 1623 and the French consul in Aleppo).

This is an anachronistic discussion and we should see the terms in context. Given the economic policies of the Western countries, OE was not mercantalist and was a relative free-trader. In time the capitulations became permanent and more lucrative, the Ottoman state became more decentralised and more corrupt, and the Europeans became more mercantalist which in a few centuries' time resulted in the OE becoming an economic dependency of the West.

I'm sorry but this time you are the one being a bit confused with the Chronology. I don't see how Francis, Henry and Charles were significantly more involved in their realms' economic activities than Mehmet and Selim and Suleyman...

Of course, Ottomans' primary concern was to supply their military, their palace and their capital (by far the greatest city in Europe) and this was only possible by a system of monopolies and strict controls at that time. 

That's the other way around. At the time big cities were usually administrative and service centers, in other words consuming cities with huge and magnificent courts that got a lot of their trade through rents and taxes. Indeed Istanbul was the most impressive contemporary example of such a city (a bit like Rome, Cordoba, Bagdad, Cairo, Vienna, Paris, Edo).

Lesser cities were more often producing centers (Leyden, Lyon, Manchester, and Salonica). I think in this respect a few figures are called for:

In 800, the urban population represented some 10% of the 19 million inhabitants of North Africa and SW Asia and about 25 towns had more than 10,000 inhabitants. Meanwhile in Europe (minus the Balkans) only 3% of the 22 million inhabitants lived in cities and there were roughly speaking 25 towns with more than 10,000 inhabitants. By 1800, the figures for N Africa and SW Asia had hardly changed while in Europe there were 10% of urbanites for 130 million inhabitants and 522 cities.

In other words the Ottoman empire lacked these lesser towns that drive the industry and thus trade and division of labour.

Wrong. Ottoman urban population increased by an average 80%(!) in the 16th century. As to significant industrial towns, there were a few (Istanbul, Selanik, Bursa, Kutahya), but they had a hard time developing because of the free-trade policies of the Ottomans.

C'mon this increase is mostly due to the rise of Istanbul. I'm not saing there was no industrial towns, I'm saying there were just a few, too few. Besides, Istanbul does not qualify as an industrial town. Finally what does free trade has to do with anything?

Yes, you missed them. There were Ottoman traders of all religions in Italian fairs in the period I am talking about. Especially in Florance and Ancona. Trade in the OE itself, and trade with the South and the East were dominated by Muslim traders. Muslim involvement in trade declined after 1550.

Well it is the countrary. Muslim traders become more numerous in the 1570-1670 period than ever before although they rarely were Ottoman at the exception of Venice and Ancona, they were mostly Tunisians. And the opening of the port of Ancona to Muslim traders dates back to 1550.

Also lack of Muslim traders is also likely to be due to the policies of the Western states. They were not nearly as tolerant as the Ottomans. If this was the case for the Ottomans, you would have made a lot of noise about how the lack of Christian trader communities shows Ottomans' inferitority...

Quite true, Western piracy and outright protectionism did purposefully keep the Muslim traders away from the West.

I did not say that there was trade Budapest and Basra. But there was a lot of trade within the Ottoman Empire.

I am not saying there weren't, I'm saying it was fairly limited compared to Europe.

Date and reference? Btw, it is perfectly OK to imprison someone who does not follow the law, trader or not.

Perfectly OK... except that the consul was a diplomat and as such granted immunity ('this is SPARTA' kind of moment). That was the consul Lannoy in Aleppo in 1662 sources: the Cancellaria of the Factory nowadays preserved in the UK's National Archives in Kew Garden under the number PRO SP 110/56 see in particular document 70b, court report, March 11, 1662.

If you say so… source?
Antalya traded with Alexandria and was important before the 17th century (exported wood, imported black slaves, 50 ships per year, traders all Muslims). Alanya was similar. Dubrovnik, I already wrote the change in their fleet size. They paid 12500 ducats/year in tribute. As to the Black Sea, the Moldavian ports (Kili and Akkerman) traded with Poland (income 30000 ducats in 1590, Moldavian traders of all religions and Muslim Turkish traders), Kefe and nearby ports were in Crimea and their income was 45000 ducats (1575), and this is excluding (white) slave trade there, which amounted a massive 100000 ducats in 1550 (it used to be conducted by the Genoese, by 1490 it had about 225 ships per year and something like 80% of the traders were Muslims).  
Interesting that it only refers to raw materials

Sailing-only ships are of course larger, but they are not necessarily superior in technology or performance. You cannot compare a galley/galleass with a Caravel or such. In the Med (and in the Caribbean, and in the Baltic), the galleys were still superior to the big sailing ships in the 16th century. Of course this design was perfected by the Italians but it did not mean that the Ottomans had inferior designs.

16th century Ottoman galleys had minor differences with their European counterparts and very similar qualities. The problem being that those of 1650 were awfully similar to those of 1450... no important innovation, that's the problems the galleys had. They were very efficient no doubt but they required little R&D (just skilled artisans). They were quick and cheap to build, that was their advantage. So the Ottomans (and the Venetians) concentrated on how to build as many possible in the shortest time, not so much on improving the ship itself. Once more, we just go back to my initial argument: poor innovation.

Besides, I'm not lying. I might be wrong, I may even had the small portion of bad faith and hypocrisy required in an argument, but I'm not lying.

The source is 'a Jew called Samuel', the date is 1641. Admittedly, it does not say that the convoy is all going Alexandria. As to Ottoman urban population, it increased greatly in the 16th century. 

Once and for all get acquinted with the notions of catch up growth and of forging ahead growth. Totally different. Basically the Ottoman inherited Istanbul (and a few other urban centers) totally wrecked by 1/ the plague 2/ the long and painful wars going on in the region for 2 centuries. So basically Istanbul grew BACK. Much fewer examples of the likes of Salonica while in Europe you could find hundreds of those.

It was quite easy to get capitulatins from the Ottomans (if you were friends) and they provided great benefits (just 2% tax). Could you tell us how much the Western countries taxed imports in this period?

Be careful, 2, 3 or 5% were the taxes levied by the central state, the local officials also had a cut, plus the special expenses (rare during the 16th century I must say but common later), plus the avanias, plus the cost of obtaining and regularly renewing the capitulation, plus the automatic consulage (unique for the European factories in the OE and pretty much unknown elsewhere). ect. which quickly doubles or even triples the original tax rate.

I don't know how much the governments of 16th century Europe levied on import. I guess it depended. It was pretty high in England and the Netherlands (and the other commercial states such as Portugal and Hansa) but pretty low elsewhere since the bulk of the state's revenues came from the countryside. There the difficulty is that much of the taxation was made by the cities when you passed the gates or in the countryside when you crossed provincial borders (btw one important quality of early OE: no internal barriers to trade).

So I think the Ottoman entry taxes were during the 16th century higher than those of most of the European countries with the notable exception of England. But that's a guess I would have to do some research.

The interest rates were not high for the whole 1450-1550 period. I can't give you the details since I don't have the first volume of Stefanos Yerasimos'es book with me.

According to Sevket Pamuk in 'the evolution of factor markets in the Ottoman Empire 1300-1800', the rate for public borrowing fluctuated from 12 to 20%. And the cost of private borrowing ought to have been even higher since contracts were not enforced by the state.

Define 'European'? Prove that what you have written is true for all 'Europeans'? Prove that what you have written applies to the period 1450-1550?

My bad I have no idea what was going on at the time for Poland, Austria, Sweden, Russia, most of Germany, etc. I tend to concentrate on a few Western European states: England, France, the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Venice and Genoa. Then again these states did not have homogeneous institutions.

The Inquisition terrorizing traders in Iberia and sometimes Italy was not exactly optimal. The judicial system in France was screwed and the market integration in Italy was ridiculous due to political divisions. Meanwhile England lost roughly two centuries due to civil strife.

Still. Any measure will show that the economy was in a better shape and most sectors were more advanced in Europe than in the OE. I don't think it was mostly due to ecological endowment nor to the fact that the Turks and Arabs and Greeks are more lazy, corrupt or whatever else. I just think institutions worked better.

Of course everyone 'admits' that the Ottomans were an economic failure, but not 'after 1500', more like after 1550. You are the one who cannot admit that the Ottomans had a good trade system and superior infrastructure than most (if not all) rivals before 1550. This is only for the sea. For land based trade, they were centuries ahead of any others. These are facts which the Orientalists find so hard to stomach for some reason.
[/QUOTE]
I am a free donkey!
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Bernard Woolley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 04:12

Well, this discussion seems to have passed me by somewhat. I'll respond to some of the posts addressed to me, though.

1. Although the value traded were sometimes similar, in terms of volume it is just not in the same league.

Value is how trade is measured, not volume. I consider the land trade important because, if the Atlantic countries had been posessed of a land trade infrastructure equivalent to the Ottomans, or if they had equivalently valuable products to trade, they may not have been driven to develop seaborne bulk trade at all.

2. The growth in terms of productivity of the Oriental sea routes were minor over the Ottoman period and might even have decreased. On the other hand, transportation and transaction costs for the European maritime trade fell dramatically.

I agree that transportation and transaction costs were beginning to drop in some Atlantic countries at this time. However, this was localized and was driven by developments that only a few countries were in a position to benefit from.

For instance, it was pretty much only the Portuguese, Basques, French and English who were able to exploit the Atlantic cod fishery, but for them it was a stable industry that helped drive both technological innovation and investment expertise. Compare that to the fishing industry in Turkey, which called for little in the way of technological innovation, and you have part of the explanation for why the Ottomans weren't at the forefront in the development of bulk ocean transport. There was absolutely no reason why they would need to.

We can for instance compare Portugal with any part of the OE and realize that the latter lacked:
1. The fantastic innovative abilities of the Portuguese shipbuilders of the time.
2. The type of institutions such as the navigation school of Sagres.
3. The involvement in the dense European network of map-makers, captains, ship-makers, craftsmen, etc. that quickly spread the best practices from Genoa to the Baltic.
4. The so-called seaports systems of Porto and Lisbon that knitted together these each one of these centers with tens of smaller ports providing food, men and material.

We can compare Portugal with any other part of the world at this time, and see that their maritime transport system was better. Those that were in most direct competition with Portugal were the first to catch up, and everybody else lagged behind. It certainly was not a generally "European" model, juxtaposed against an "Ottoman" model. This doesn't really say much about the Ottomans in particular at all.

I consider it important to ask, when we're talking about a new technological development (which is what the revolution in seaborne trade was at heart), whether all can benefit equally from jumping onto the new field, or whether some just aren't in a position to compete. I tend to think the latter is the case.

Iâ?Tm really not convinced. It may be true for Rhodes and to a lesser extend for Malta. But it is totally false for Cyprus and moreover for Crete. In Crete, the Venetians were doing their outmost to hunt down the Northern pirates and the Ottoman pretext to attack was really hypocritical. The point of the invasion was to gain territories and calm down the troops. They saw an opportunity, they seized it. Little to do with security. Regarding Malta, I think it was in line with the general Ottoman offense in the West; once more if they existed the security issues were really secondary.

The Venetians were obliged under treaties with the Ottomans to reduce piracy. As is so often the case, however, they were not always able to control violent groups and were also sometimes hesitant to punish Christian pirates for crimes against Muslims. I don't disagree that the Ottomans were hypocritical to demand that the Venetians crack down on pirates, since they also condoned piracy in the western Mediterranean, but in eliminating Venetian bases they were certainly responding to domestic pressure to protect shipping from attack - which was especially strong when it came to pirate attacks on pilgrim convoys. The invasion of Cyprus came after a spat of attacks on shipping, and a number of retaliatory flayings. Cyprus and Crete were both taken - at least partly - because the Ottomans decided they couldn't farm out security in the Mediterranean anymore. If they had just been looking for opportunities to annex land, there were easier pickings available.

I would adopt a Braudelian approach to this question. In other words lets think long term: a recent article by Bosker, Buringh and van Zanden has shown that the relative decline of the Eastern Mediterranean compared to Europe had started c. 1250 and the Ottoman could not stop it although they managed to slow it down from 1450 to 1500. So basically, their inherited the Abbasidsâ?T, the Byzantinesâ?T and the Mamlukesâ?T mess but they did not manage to reverse the tide at any point (Iâ?Tm talking economically, not politically).

The relative rise of Northern Europe does not equate to the decline of the Eastern Mediterranean, any more than the relative rise of some developing economies today implies the decline of the developed economies. The standard of living in Northern Europe in 1250 really had nowhere to go but up, and around that time they were finally starting to gain access to the means of joining the rest of the world.

Residents of the Eastern Mediterranean, on the other hand, were already living at about as high a standard of living as was possible at the time. So it would be expected that their development would remain fairly flat until something (like the appearance of a couple of new continents) changed the paradigm. I'm not in any way certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if the standard of living in the Ottoman Empire remained higher than in most of Europe until the colonial period.

The following:

In 800, the urban population represented some 10% of the 19 million inhabitants of North Africa and SW Asia and about 25 towns had more than 10,000 inhabitants. Meanwhile in Europe (minus the Balkans) only 3% of the 22 million inhabitants lived in cities and there were roughly speaking 25 towns with more than 10,000 inhabitants. By 1800, the figures for N Africa and SW Asia had hardly changed while in Europe there were 10% of urbanites for 130 million inhabitants and 522 cities.

In other words the Ottoman empire lacked these lesser towns that drive the industry and thus trade and division of labour.

looks, to me, more like Europe catching up than the OE falling behind.

Besides, if I am not mistaking the territorial bias of the Ottoman rulers did not start fater the death of Suleyman. The landed military class of the Sipahis and the system of the timars dates back way before.

The Sipahis were not the entire Ottoman ruling class. Other power brokers included the kapikullu, the religious establishment, the guilds and the minorities. In fact, the landed aristocracy often found itself frozen out by urban interests, regularly losing out to those who had more regular access to the Porte.

Actually, the Ottoman cities seldom develop along the sea, and following a long Mediterranean Muslim tradition tended to develop inland (Damascus, Cairo, Bursa, Bagdad). More importantly even urbanization did not increase under the Ottoman rule (showing little productivity increase) and big towns remained dominating (these being usually service and administrative hubs as opposed to industrial districts with export-oriented sectors).

Beylerbeyi has answered this, but I have to add that I really find this statement unjustifiably determinative. Cairo and Baghdad are inland, but both have fairly easy access to the sea. I fail to see what this has to do with Muslim tradition, seeing as that London, Paris and Madrid - to name a few capitals of ocean-friendly European countries - are also located inland.

Iâ?Tm sorry but you underestimate the significance of the Ottoman market for the European wares in the early modern period. The OE remained Franceâ?Ts, Englandâ?Ts and the Netherlandâ?Ts main extra-European export market until c. 1680-90 (even later for France). But as the quick decline of the regional industries linked to the OE shows (Langedoc, Leyden, Yorkshire), its significance quickly decrease in the last quarter of the 17th century. For several centuries it had been Europeâ?Ts main export and import market. Its quick demise is too dramatic not to be considered. Basically the OE totally missed its European integration and became a backwater while the rest of Europe turned to Asia and the Americas.

I was not aware that exports to the Ottoman Empire were so important to the Atlantic powers in the 17th century. I'm happy to be learning.

Still, I fail to see what the Ottomans could have done to take advantage of developments in parts of the world they had no access to. For one thing, it wouldn't initially have been obvious to anyone that the Atlantic economy would hit paydirt (so to speak), so it would have been hard to justify investing in it at the necessary time. For another, even if the Ottoman economy was not best practice, it wasn't disfunctional, either. If people are more or less able to get what they want (and the OE was a common enough destination for European emigres to suggest that it held at least some promise of economic gain), then how do you justify change?

Today, many of the most competitive export economies depend on low labour costs. That's not an argument for developed countries to re-order their economies so that they're optimized for $0.50/hour labour.

I agree with you, entering any market was very difficult and costly. That being say, I think entering the Ottoman one was particularly difficult and costly.

Here are a few reasons:
1. Unlike any other early modern example I know of, you had to obtain and renew the right to trade in the OE. This treaty had to be purchased every five years and was tellingly called a Capitulation (similar to the Byzantine Chrysobules).
2. The bureaucratic system was very costly, any procedure took time and a lot of money.
3. Piracy, rebellions and bandits officials created costs that had to be faced with armed ships and convoys.
4. The corrupt officials managed to regularly obtain â?~avaniasâ?T (i.e. undue fines and taxes), the fact that the word used is Italian testifies that the habits was in place before the 17th century.
5. Unlike any example I know, the merchants were forced to build infrastructures by themselves (bridges, khans and entire harbours).
6. Finally some peculiar and endogenous issues increased the cost of doing trade in the OE: buying back your friends held as slaves by Ottoman subjects, facing various diseases (malaria in Scanderone, plague elsewhere in Syria and Palestine).

1. This was hardly an unusual practice, at least among those states that had valuable goods and/or consumer markets to offer. Western traders were obviously eager to get into their markets, and (to paraphrasre), they had got this thing and it was ------- golden, they were just not giving it up for ------- nothing!

2. As it was just about everywhere that an effective bureaucracy actually existed. Gaining Access to the Ottoman Empire wasn't nearly as difficult or costly as gaining trade rights in China or Japan.

3. The Ottomans went to great lengths to mitigate piracy in the Eastern Mediterranean, and frankly I find the claim that banditry and rebellion were a bigger problem in the Ottoman Empire than in Europe highly questionable.

4. From Friends and Rivals in the East, Alastair Hamilton, Alexander H. de Groot, Maurits H. van den Boogert, 2000:

"The portrayal of avanias as sudden, unprovoked and unjust demands by an arbitrary Ottoman administration should not be accepted at face value, and should at least in part be attributed to the self-interests of those reporting them. It seems likely that merchants, consuls, ambassadors, and administrators of trade at home intentionally omitted their own contribution to the origins of an avania in their reports to higher authorities."

Avanias often arose when Ottoman officials applied laws that traders were either unfamiliar with, or actively flouted. This is one of the problems with your argument that Ottoman trade was unusually expensive. If you mean that there were other jurisdictions where Western traders could get away with ignoring local laws, you would be correct - but that isn't an indication that those places had better trade practices. Often it just meant that they were not capable of enforcing their laws on the traders. I simply do not see the fact that the Ottomans were able and willing to enforce the rule of law as a poor trading practice. To use an example cited in the above book, when ELC merchant Samuel Pentlow died in 1678 and was survived by his Ottoman wife and children, his inheritance was subject to Ottoman law and could not simply be spirited out to England as he had apparently instructed his executors to do.

There is also some evidence that company men and consuls exaggerrated the impact of avanias in order to promote their own importance to their governments and to the merchant community.

It should also be mentioned that the capitulation system was not the only way for traders to gain access to the Ottoman market. Plenty of adventurous merchants became Ottoman citizens, and many became very successful working under Ottoman laws.

Incidentally, I don't think the word "avanias" is of Italian origin.

5. You're not looking very far for your examples. States built facilities to attract traders when the traders would not otherwise come - as with St. Petersburg. States that had traders crawling over each other to get in - like the Ottomans and the Chinese - didn't need to. The traders built their own harbours in Africa, the Middle East, India, China, Japan and Indonesia, among other places.

6. Traders were at far less risk from any of these dangers in the Ottoman Empire then they were in many other parts of the world.

I'll only horn in on a couple of other points:

The Ottomans faced a number of inflationary crises in the 16th and 17th centuries. I suspect that had a lot to do with high interest rates. This wasn't even a policy issue - the Ottoman currency was based on silver, and the global price of silver was dropping.

I live in Canada, and there's little we can do about the fact that the value of our currency is tied to the price of oil.

I actually question this claim. Although the Ottomans definitely faded as a world power from the 17th century on, I'm less convinced that the quality of life for Ottoman citizens was deteriorating significantly until much later.

I'm speaking relatively. The Ottoman and chiefly the Muslim Ottoman traders were not as mighty as their European counterparts.

In the same way, the Ottoman commercial institution were not as efficient as the European ones (even though the latter were far from optimal).

On this I agree.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2009 at 18:37
Sorry, I'll answer to BW later, just one thing for now:

Well, wrong. You ignore Ottoman domestic trade, which was far more than just wheat. Venetians mention 50 ship convoys leaving Istanbul for Alexandria and meeting with 12 military escorts in Gallipoli to protect them. That's a typical convoy- 62 ships. Doesn't seem like Alexandria lost its importance to me. Not to mention that excess budget of Egypt was sent yearly to Constantinople (500000 gold ducats, count the zeros) from there in early 16th century. What was the total budget of England at that time?

By 1420, the Doge estimated the Venetian import of Lombard cloths (wool, fustian and linen) at 900,000 ducats.

Edited by Maharbbal - 19-Feb-2009 at 18:38
I am a free donkey!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2009 at 20:26
Just for the hell of it - 1485?
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 02:41
Sorry for the delay I had started to answer but I deleted the message by mistake. Anyway.

Value is how trade is measured, not volume. I consider the land trade important because, if the Atlantic countries had been posessed of a land trade infrastructure equivalent to the Ottomans, or if they had equivalently valuable products to trade, they may not have been driven to develop seaborne bulk trade at all.

You're forgetting one detail: massive productivity improvements in the maritime trade allowed to decrease markedly transport costs, while caravans' productivity did not significantly vary, as a result maritime was more flexible and profitable. Besides, the capacity to transport bulk allow to increase division of labour. Hence the long terms effect on growth is totally different.

I agree that transportation and transaction costs were beginning to drop in some Atlantic countries at this time. However, this was localized and was driven by developments that only a few countries were in a position to benefit from.

For instance, it was pretty much only the Portuguese, Basques, French and English who were able to exploit the Atlantic cod fishery, but for them it was a stable industry that helped drive both technological innovation and investment expertise. Compare that to the fishing industry in Turkey, which called for little in the way of technological innovation, and you have part of the explanation for why the Ottomans weren't at the forefront in the development of bulk ocean transport. There was absolutely no reason why they would need to.

Well if you add the Dutch, Danish and Hansa fishermen, you kind of realize that the technology was pretty much shared all along the Atlantic coast.

Besides, numerous trade unrelated with fisheries were thriving from 1000 to 1800 (wheat, wine, wool, dyes, etc.). Fisheries were not alone at the base of the TFP growth of Western European maritime trade.

We can compare Portugal with any other part of the world at this time, and see that their maritime transport system was better. Those that were in most direct competition with Portugal were the first to catch up, and everybody else lagged behind. It certainly was not a generally "European" model, juxtaposed against an "Ottoman" model. This doesn't really say much about the Ottomans in particular at all.

Nope. In Portugal, the system was particularly institutionalised but very similar results were reached in a more decentralised manner in the Netherlands, parts of France, parts of Spain, England...

I consider it important to ask, when we're talking about a new technological development (which is what the revolution in seaborne trade was at heart), whether all can benefit equally from jumping onto the new field, or whether some just aren't in a position to compete. I tend to think the latter is the case.

I agree it is a good question, but the recurent rise of Levantine or Maghrebi competition in front of the Western trade show that the will existed and might have gone somewhere if it hadn't been crushed by French and English competition. Besides, it is difficult to understand which is that position that allowed Dubrovnik to thrive but blocked Ottoman ports just a few dozen milesaway.

The relative rise of Northern Europe does not equate to the decline of the Eastern Mediterranean, any more than the relative rise of some developing economies today implies the decline of the developed economies. The standard of living in Northern Europe in 1250 really had nowhere to go but up, and around that time they were finally starting to gain access to the means of joining the rest of the world.

Well, the standard of living in North Europe went... down after 1250. Or more exactly roughly from 1280 to 1360 there was the so-called general crisis of the 14th century.

More generally I agree with you the rise of one does not mean the other one is declining. Yet, it is a fact that the Ottoman Empire was roughly stagnating after 1450.

Residents of the Eastern Mediterranean, on the other hand, were already living at about as high a standard of living as was possible at the time. So it would be expected that their development would remain fairly flat until something (like the appearance of a couple of new continents) changed the paradigm.

I don't agree with this stagnating Malthusian vision of pre-modern Europe. Actually Western Europe experienced several periods of significant growth (that were not totally destroyed by the periods of decline). Actually, it is estimated the """GDP""" of Europe increased by 0.1% a year from 1000 to 1700 on average (i.e. slightly less than doubling every century). Actually numerous regions reached a growth rate close to0.6% for long periods.

I'm not in any way certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if the standard of living in the Ottoman Empire remained higher than in most of Europe until the colonial period.

You'd be mistaking. Although Istanbul real wages were comparable to those in Rome, Venice and Valencia from 1400 to 1700, they also were 15 to 25% lower to those of Northern Europe.

The following:

looks, to me, more like Europe catching up than the OE falling behind.

Really? You did remark that there was roughly one city per 200,000 inhabitants in Europe against one per 1,000,000 in the OE? You know what it means about the production structure of the OE?

Beylerbeyi has answered this, but I have to add that I really find this statement unjustifiably determinative. Cairo and Baghdad are inland, but both have fairly easy access to the sea. I fail to see what this has to do with Muslim tradition, seeing as that London, Paris and Madrid - to name a few capitals of ocean-friendly European countries - are also located inland.

London is a port. Paris and Madrid are administrative centers. Where is the equivalent of the industrial clusters found in Lombardy, Languedoc, and the Netherlands?

Have a look at the map found here. No clusters in the OE. Why?

Still, I fail to see what the Ottomans could have done to take advantage of developments in parts of the world they had no access to. For one thing, it wouldn't initially have been obvious to anyone that the Atlantic economy would hit paydirt (so to speak), so it would have been hard to justify investing in it at the necessary time.

My problem precisely. In 1550, the English international trade was dominated by the Merchant Adventurers, a very successful trade guild exporting wool and cloth to Germany and Netherlands. They kept growning over the next 100 years. No reason to invest in other trades? Wrong. By 1650, the British traders had established permanent trading relations with the OE, India, the Americas, Spain, Russia, etc. New actors had joined the game (London mercers had become successful colonial tobacco traders).

The point is that hundreds of private investors risked their capital in all these ventures which often failed and even more often looked totally crazy. Surely had the OE been freeier at least some private merchants would have invested in the Atlantic trade. I don't know any.

For another, even if the Ottoman economy was not best practice, it wasn't disfunctional, either. If people are more or less able to get what they want (and the OE was a common enough destination for European emigres to suggest that it held at least some promise of economic gain), then how do you justify change?

I'm sorry but excepting the Jews I don't know any sizeable European migration to the OE. Which one are you refering to?

Today, many of the most competitive export economies depend on low labour costs. That's not an argument for developed countries to re-order their economies so that they're optimized for $0.50/hour labour.

Yes unfortunately for it, the OE did not enjoy a real technological advantage over the West by 1450.

1. This was hardly an unusual practice, at least among those states that had valuable goods and/or consumer markets to offer. Western traders were obviously eager to get into their markets, and (to paraphrasre), they had got this thing and it was ------- golden, they were just not giving it up for ------- nothing!

LOL I see you are learning from the best!

Jocking aside. I don't know who you are refering to.

2. As it was just about everywhere that an effective bureaucracy actually existed. Gaining Access to the Ottoman Empire wasn't nearly as difficult or costly as gaining trade rights in China or Japan.

Granted about China and Japan (not exactly examples of early modern successes). That being said I would not say the Ottoman bureaucracy was that effective, at least it does not appear so in the notes of the traders at the time.

3. The Ottomans went to great lengths to mitigate piracy in the Eastern Mediterranean, and frankly I find the claim that banditry and rebellion were a bigger problem in the Ottoman Empire than in Europe highly questionable.

My opinion may be biased due to my greater acquaintance with the case of Aleppo (admittedly the worst region of the OE when it came to banditry). But regarding piracy, the OE proved unable to remove the Christian threat upon its domestic trade.

4. The corrupt officials managed to regularly obtain â?~avaniasâ?T (i.e. undue fines and taxes), the fact that the word used is Italian testifies that the habits was in place before the 17th century.
4. From Friends and Rivals in the East, Alastair Hamilton, Alexander H. de Groot, Maurits H. van den Boogert, 2000:

"The portrayal of avanias as sudden, unprovoked and unjust demands by an arbitrary Ottoman administration should not be accepted at face value, and should at least in part be attributed to the self-interests of those reporting them. It seems likely that merchants, consuls, ambassadors, and administrators of trade at home intentionally omitted their own contribution to the origins of an avania in their reports to higher authorities."

Avanias often arose when Ottoman officials applied laws that traders were either unfamiliar with, or actively flouted. This is one of the problems with your argument that Ottoman trade was unusually expensive. If you mean that there were other jurisdictions where Western traders could get away with ignoring local laws, you would be correct - but that isn't an indication that those places had better trade practices. Often it just meant that they were not capable of enforcing their laws on the traders. I simply do not see the fact that the Ottomans were able and willing to enforce the rule of law as a poor trading practice. To use an example cited in the above book, when ELC merchant Samuel Pentlow died in 1678 and was survived by his Ottoman wife and children, his inheritance was subject to Ottoman law and could not simply be spirited out to England as he had apparently instructed his executors to do.

There is also some evidence that company men and consuls exaggerrated the impact of avanias in order to promote their own importance to their governments and to the merchant community.

I know that all the merchants say should not be accept for face value. But it does not mean either that it should be simply overlooked. If anything the long struggle between English principals and factors to decide who was to pay the avanias shows that it was not unimportant.
Besides, numerous avanias were indeed legal fines. But they were also often a way for greedy civil servants to racket foreign trade as shows the fact that English traders regularly managed to convince the sultan to force his administrators to repay the undue levies to the English traders.

It should also be mentioned that the capitulation system was not the only way for traders to gain access to the Ottoman market. Plenty of adventurous merchants became Ottoman citizens, and many became very successful working under Ottoman laws.

Plenty? My digging in 20 years of the Aleppo factory archives did not show a single case. The only time it did happen was when servants married their Greek partners and stayed in Syria because they wanted to stay with their children.

5. You're not looking very far for your examples. States built facilities to attract traders when the traders would not otherwise come - as with St. Petersburg. States that had traders crawling over each other to get in - like the Ottomans and the Chinese - didn't need to. The traders built their own harbours in Africa, the Middle East, India, China, Japan and Indonesia, among other places.

Still… expensive.

6. Traders were at far less risk from any of these dangers in the Ottoman Empire then they were in many other parts of the world.

Well it wasn’t as bad a Nigeria for sure

The Ottomans faced a number of inflationary crises in the 16th and 17th centuries. I suspect that had a lot to do with high interest rates. This wasn't even a policy issue - the Ottoman currency was based on silver, and the global price of silver was dropping.

No. The lack of banks and the low reliability of government and state enforcement are more likely to explain why Ottoman interest rates stayed high (as opposed to rose) over the period. There is a 80 years lag between the stabilization of the price of silver and the beginning of the decrease of Ottoman interest rates.

I actually question this claim. Although the Ottomans definitely faded as a world power from the 17th century on, I'm less convinced that the quality of life for Ottoman citizens was deteriorating significantly until much later.

we can debate about the standards of living, but not for output, productivity, innovation, etc.

I am a free donkey!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 13:54
By 1420, the Doge estimated the Venetian import of Lombard cloths (wool, fustian and linen) at 900,000 ducats.
In 1420, Venice was the foremost trade centre of all of Europe. The value I mentioned (500k) was only the annual budget surplus of one Ottoman province, not the total value of anything, not even the total budget... All numbers I have written are the Ottoman income from the trade, customs taxes etc.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 21:02

In 1420, Venice was the foremost trade centre of all of Europe. The value I mentioned (500k) was only the annual budget surplus of one Ottoman province, not the total value of anything, not even the total budget... All numbers I have written are the Ottoman income from the trade, customs taxes etc.

It was just a way to show that the figure you gave was important but by no means exceptional.
I am a free donkey!
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2009 at 22:24
If you're interested, following this thread I have started a Ottoman week on my blog: premodeconhist.wordpress.com
I am a free donkey!
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Bernard Woolley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 05:45

Sorry about the delay, it's been a busy few weeks.

You're forgetting one detail: massive productivity improvements in the maritime trade allowed to decrease markedly transport costs, while caravans' productivity did not significantly vary, as a result maritime was more flexible and profitable. Besides, the capacity to transport bulk allow to increase division of labour. Hence the long terms effect on growth is totally different.

Granted that the sea transport system that would develop in Western Europe had much more development potential than caravans (which is why the Ottomans made use of it by chartering western ships) but I maintain that not all nations were equally positioned to take advantage of that potential.

I agree it is a good question, but the recurent rise of Levantine or Maghrebi competition in front of the Western trade show that the will existed and might have gone somewhere if it hadn't been crushed by French and English competition. Besides, it is difficult to understand which is that position that allowed Dubrovnik to thrive but blocked Ottoman ports just a few dozen milesaway.

But that's just it, under normal circumstances they weren't competitive. In order to be competitive they would have had to build ships and shipyards to rival those in Western Europe, which wouldn't have been cost-effective for entities with fewer overseas trading interests and, it should be noted, a much higher premium on quality wood.

Well, the standard of living in North Europe went... down after 1250. Or more exactly roughly from 1280 to 1360 there was the so-called general crisis of the 14th century.

The argument can be made that the Black Death actually did end up contributing to a long-term increase in living standards. To my mind, however, the important fact is that it coincided with, and resulted from, the first truly direct contact Europe had with East Asia - and the huge increase in European awareness of and interest in the rest of the world that went with it.

I don't agree with this stagnating Malthusian vision of pre-modern Europe. Actually Western Europe experienced several periods of significant growth (that were not totally destroyed by the periods of decline). Actually, it is estimated the """GDP""" of Europe increased by 0.1% a year from 1000 to 1700 on average (i.e. slightly less than doubling every century). Actually numerous regions reached a growth rate close to0.6% for long periods.

Fair enough, but surely you agree that the opening of the Americas provided a rare opportunity for increased economic growth and a massive advantage to the colonial powers. Besides the mineral wealth and other commodities, two continents' worth of new agricultural products - some quite valuable - were suddenly thrust onto the market.

You'd be mistaking. Although Istanbul real wages were comparable to those in Rome, Venice and Valencia from 1400 to 1700, they also were 15 to 25% lower to those of Northern Europe.

I'm interested to know what that number is based on, and if so why so many luxury products continued to come from the Ottoman Empire throughout this period.

Really? You did remark that there was roughly one city per 200,000 inhabitants in Europe against one per 1,000,000 in the OE? You know what it means about the production structure of the OE?

London is a port. Paris and Madrid are administrative centers. Where is the equivalent of the industrial clusters found in Lombardy, Languedoc, and the Netherlands?

Have a look at the map found here. No clusters in the OE. Why?

Large numbers of smaller industrial centres seem to be a characteristic of newer, growing polities more than anything else. As time goes on, though, economies consolidate and people get drawn to the central cities - be that Istanbul, London, New York or Shanghai. I fail to see how anyone could prevent that from happening.

If you're implying that Ottoman policies caused their cities to grow too large, you'll have to explain how government policies were responsible for their peoples' settlement patterns. As far as I know, most attempts by governments to control migration (which happen to include Ottoman attempts to make people from smaller towns stop moving to Istanbul) failed.

The large cities of the Ottoman Empire were magnets for migrants, and they tended to soak up excess population from the surrounding provinces. Successful cities with lots of jobs and opportunities for advancement have always done that, and I would think to associate that with a successful economy, not a failing one.

My problem precisely. In 1550, the English international trade was dominated by the Merchant Adventurers, a very successful trade guild exporting wool and cloth to Germany and Netherlands. They kept growning over the next 100 years. No reason to invest in other trades? Wrong. By 1650, the British traders had established permanent trading relations with the OE, India, the Americas, Spain, Russia, etc. New actors had joined the game (London mercers had become successful colonial tobacco traders).

The difference being that many of the luxury products being traded in the Ottoman Empire were far more valuable. Hence the English desire to access those products, and the Ottoman disinterest in seeking out English products. In the long-term, European competitors became able to replicate Ottoman goods and produce/move them more cheaply, pushing Ottoman producers out of business. But in the 1500s this was still a long way off.

The point is that hundreds of private investors risked their capital in all these ventures which often failed and even more often looked totally crazy. Surely had the OE been freeier at least some private merchants would have invested in the Atlantic trade. I don't know any.

Sorry to make another analogy, but many businesses in developing nations today take risks that no Western entity would be willing, or permitted, to take. They're willing to accept low margins and high risks that, quite simpy, people in developed nations don't need to take to succeed.

Yes unfortunately for it, the OE did not enjoy a real technological advantage over the West by 1450.

The West no longer enjoys a meaningful technological advantage over many of the new export economies, either.

I know that all the merchants say should not be accept for face value. But it does not mean either that it should be simply overlooked. If anything the long struggle between English principals and factors to decide who was to pay the avanias shows that it was not unimportant.
Besides, numerous avanias were indeed legal fines. But they were also often a way for greedy civil servants to racket foreign trade as shows the fact that English traders regularly managed to convince the sultan to force his administrators to repay the undue levies to the English traders.

Certainly they shouldn't be overlooked, but I did find it necessary to point out that the accounts of merchants and consuls need to be looked at critically, as they tended to exaggerate, and to omit mention of their own untoward activities. The repayment of avanias also doesn't necessarily mean that the English traders were in the right, only that the Divan deemed it best solution.

Granted about China and Japan (not exactly examples of early modern successes).

Perhaps not, but China probably makes for a better comparison with the Ottoman Empire than any European nation in terms of its economic position and potential in the early modern era.

I would also point out that both China and Japan were doing alright until the 19th century, when they were finally overwhelmed by advancing technology and ideas.

If you're interested, following this thread I have started a Ottoman week on my blog: premodeconhist.wordpress.com

A good read, cheers!

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 22:03

Granted that the sea transport system that would develop in Western Europe had much more development potential than caravans (which is why the Ottomans made use of it by chartering western ships) but I maintain that not all nations were equally positioned to take advantage of that potential.

But that's just it, under normal circumstances they weren't competitive. In order to be competitive they would have had to build ships and shipyards to rival those in Western Europe, which wouldn't have been cost-effective for entities with fewer overseas trading interests and, it should be noted, a much higher premium on quality wood.

I of course would not deny that endowment helps a lot. That being said, Greek and Maghribi commercial dynamism shows that it wasn’t impossible, besides the Genoese for instance did not enjoy much better conditions than most of the Ottoman empire. The sultans found enough wood to build hundreds of galleys, they had millions of trees available in Romania, they had trade, they had the example of the great navies of the past… The sultan of Morocco did manage to buy ships directly in Amsterdam, so did the Genoese, and even the English, why not the Turks? Finally, lets not forget that hundreds of Ottoman-built ships existed at the time in Greece and on the Alexandria-Constantinople route. Why was there enough timber for domestic trade but not for international trade???

All that to say, I don’t think the endowment type of explanation is sufficient.

Fair enough, but surely you agree that the opening of the Americas provided a rare opportunity for increased economic growth and a massive advantage to the colonial powers. Besides the mineral wealth and other commodities, two continents' worth of new agricultural products - some quite valuable - were suddenly thrust onto the market.

Certainly not!

Well of course it did not hurt. But it wasn’t either that silver bullet many people think it was. Consider this:

1.    Portugal and Spain – the first-movers – did not last long.
2.    With the exception of fairly trivial stuff (falling price of sugar) the majority of Europeans hardly saw the difference… oh and lets not forget fur hats.
3.    The impact of the famous precious metals influx has been hotly debated, but once more, no silver bullet.
4.    The real “colonization” of the Americas did not start before the 1650s and actually did not have any significant impact before 1750.

I'm interested to know what that number is based on, and if so why so many luxury products continued to come from the Ottoman Empire throughout this period.

See the article of S. Pamuk summarized on my blog. Do you really think the average Istanbul dweller could indulge in luxury products? I suppose the best they could get is some coffee and some sugar.

Large numbers of smaller industrial centres seem to be a characteristic of newer, growing polities more than anything else. As time goes on, though, economies consolidate and people get drawn to the central cities - be that Istanbul, London, New York or Shanghai. I fail to see how anyone could prevent that from happening.

If you're implying that Ottoman policies caused their cities to grow too large, you'll have to explain how government policies were responsible for their peoples' settlement patterns. As far as I know, most attempts by governments to control migration (which happen to include Ottoman attempts to make people from smaller towns stop moving to Istanbul) failed.

The large cities of the Ottoman Empire were magnets for migrants, and they tended to soak up excess population from the surrounding provinces. Successful cities with lots of jobs and opportunities for advancement have always done that, and I would think to associate that with a successful economy, not a failing one.

Lets get (slightly) technical for a sec. There is something called an “open window of locational opportunity” (see my blog). Basically a new industry is as likely to settle in one place as in the other, regardless of previous industrial location. This happen in old and new polities (see the IT or plane industries in the US and in Europe). This happened in Europe all the time: Toulouse’s traditional cloth industry is overtaken by Montpellier’s, Milan’s by Nuremberg, Bruges’ by Antwerp, etc. The result is a diversification of locations.

To a very limited extent this happened in the OE (Bursa replaced by Aleppo, Aleppo by Smyrna). Overall oversize growth of cities happens usually if 1. Some particularly stable services move in (finance in particular tend to be sticky), 2. If the government moves in. In the OE, little in terms of services, except maybe in Alexandria, Aleppo and Smyrna. The rest has to be explained by the presence of the government.

Hence unlike most of Europe before 1600, the bulk of urbanization in the OE was not driven by industrialization but political factors. It is not voluntary, it is a sort of feedback effect. Basically, put a king in a place, courtiers will arrive, they’ll require luxuries and palaces which will bring merchants and artisans, etc… That’s how a government brings people into town not through regulations.

Besides, the increasing size of industrial hubs usually goes along massive falls in transport costs! I can’t see them in the OE. Hence once more the quick growth of Istanbul and other Ottoman towns has little to do with increased productivity and economies of scale, unlike London for instance whose growth was tightly correlated with decreasing transaction costs.

The difference being that many of the luxury products being traded in the Ottoman Empire were far more valuable. Hence the English desire to access those products, and the Ottoman disinterest in seeking out English products. In the long-term, European competitors became able to replicate Ottoman goods and produce/move them more cheaply, pushing Ottoman producers out of business. But in the 1500s this was still a long way off.

Sorry not sure to see your point.

Sorry to make another analogy, but many businesses in developing nations today take risks that no Western entity would be willing, or permitted, to take. They're willing to accept low margins and high risks that, quite simpy, people in developed nations don't need to take to succeed.

Not sure I agree with you, see the interest rates in say Africa and Europe and guess which one of the two has more incentive to go crazy.

The West no longer enjoys a meaningful technological advantage over many of the new export economies, either.

When was the last time you checked productivity in China? (although admittedly parts come from education)

I would also point out that both China and Japan were doing alright until the 19th century, when they were finally overwhelmed by advancing technology and ideas.

Make it the 18th century and we agree.

I may not be very clear, but it is so hot here I can't wait moving out... hope I was clear enough though, my brain's melting.

I am a free donkey!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>