Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Decline of Ottoman Military Power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decline of Ottoman Military Power
    Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 15:30
copy made

Edited by Christscrusader
Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 11:28

I don't understand what you want to say but if it is related to my post I must say that it is true,When Ottomans began to retreat quickly from battlefield,Austrians entered to Ottoman camp and stole what they find valuable.

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 16:19
What's that weirdo's problem? I'll delete his spams if he posts anymore.
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 11:01
this enjoyful discussion finished with the aids of him

Edited by Jagatai Khan
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 13:07

The Ottoman empire, also called in the west as the Turkish empire (though it was a multiethnical, multicultural and multiregilious society - organized, among other things, in millets - where non-turks like greek orthodox had an important role, even as viziers), played a major role both in european as in middle-eastern history.

It's common sense that the empire reached its peak in the 16th century, under the rule of Sleyman, the Magnificent. The failure to conquer Vienna for the second time, marked a decrease of the ottoman power in the Balkans, but the territorial losses were not immediate, and often were reconquered, like the cases of Bosnia or Serbia (who happened to defect from the Habsburgs back to the Ottomans).

The european conquest of the New World was also a decisive factor to pull the edge onto the West. The beys of northern african provinces such as Ali Bey in Egypt, led a de facto autonomous rule, and eventually passed from vassalage to independence.

The shattering of the empire continued (from internal corruption, to loss of power of the sultans, to popular uprisings, etc.) and the loss of influence in the balkans (with the independence of Greece in 1829) and the black sea to the Habsburgs and Russia was a continuous fact until WWI.

The emerging states from the dissolved empire promoted an understandable diabolization of the ottoman state (including Turkey), in a way to reassure their distance and independence from it.

Nowadays, however, there's a new, fairer and more effective approach to the history of such an important empire.

I recommend the reading of books such as those of Halil Inalcik and Donald Quataert (both with a comprehensive look on the social, economic, political and religious life of the empire from its foundations to the end) or that of Kemal Cadafar (contesting the gazi theory for the formation of the ottoman state), amogst other to better understand one of the greatest empires of all time.

Edited by Infidel
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2004 at 10:25
Welcome Infidel are you a Turk?
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 07:34

Nope, I'm portuguese, as it states the flag under my avatar!

But tessekkur ederim for the welcome greetings, Jagatai!

Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 10:37

Are you interested in Turkish History?

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 13:22

Yes, among other things. I'm really interested in the Ottoman period. And perhaps this summer I'll visit Istanbul and other sites of Turkey.

Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 20:39
nice.
-Jc
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 03:34

Originally posted by Christscrusader

nice.

no comments Christscrusader?

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 15:04

Originally posted by Christscrusader

nice.

I'm also very interested in Greece too.  Both classical period, as well as medieval and post-independence. I've been to Athens once, and some isles. But I'm planning to go there for a larger period of time in a near future. I also need to practice the greek I'm learning at school! Gei Sou!

Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 19:17

unless u want some  comments, i got none,

so your learning greek in school? thats nice, its always good to learn another language and apply it. I myself am not very good with other languages though.

Edited by Christscrusader
-Jc
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 06:52
Originally posted by Infidel

Yes, among other things. I'm really interested in the Ottoman period. And perhaps this summer I'll visit Istanbul and other sites of Turkey.

Having just got back from there a couple of days ago I can safely say that you will love Istanbul. It was my first visit, but I cant wait to get back there already.

Back to the main topic though, I guess overstretch and not keeping up with the technology was what caught up with the Ottomans. In the Topkapi you can compare how extremely ornate Ottoman weaponary is compared to the more functional (yet still ornate) European firearms.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 11:45

I can advice this site for ones who interested in Turkish history:

http://www.theottomans.org

I hope you like it

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 16:25
Yups, I already knew it! Nice site on the dinasty of the House of Osman.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 08:51

nice site Jagatai

Tashakorat

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 13:45
Hi Infidal and Azimuth, welcome!
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 11:00
I am trying to find info about some battle between Russian and Ottoman army.
I read about it very long time ago and remeber only one detail:

This battle took place sometime in the early 1700, before Ottoman army was modernized. What was interesting is that Ottomans or allied Tartars still used composite bow against russian infantry using muskets. Outcome was unusual because bows turned out to be far superior to the muskets by having a longer effective range.
Am I imagining things or such a battle really occured?
Thanks in advance.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 06:03
Was it in 1711?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>