Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GOOD BY MR. BUSH!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GOOD BY MR. BUSH!!!
    Posted: 18-Dec-2008 at 22:53
Originally posted by Reginmund

Well, what does a shoe mean to a so-called honorable person? I certainly have no clue, other than that it would hurt if the shoe hits, possibly making your clothes dirty.

Well dear Reginmund,
I guess Akolouthos has already pointed out what it means to show/throw shoe on someone in our side of the world.
But to be honest in my country Afghanistan someone would rather like to die then being in a situation where someone is throwing shoes at you.

It does not just hurt a part of someones body but his/her dignity, honor, self respect and pride.
I don't really know how is it considered in the western culture, but it would had be nice for him to shoot himself than saying; "So what? It was just a shoe of size ten!!!"

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2008 at 07:25
Originally posted by Gharanai

Well, what does a shoe mean to a so-called honorable person? I certainly have no clue, other than that it would hurt if the shoe hits, possibly making your clothes dirty.

Well dear Reginmund,
I guess Akolouthos has already pointed out what it means to show/throw shoe on someone in our side of the world.
But to be honest in my country Afghanistan someone would rather like to die then being in a situation where someone is throwing shoes at you.

It does not just hurt a part of someones body but his/her dignity, honor, self respect and pride.
I don't really know how is it considered in the western culture, but it would had be nice for him to shoot himself than saying; "So what? It was just a shoe of size ten!!!"

Well, in the West no ones cares about shoes, and the so called shoe-throwing "hero" is seen as a clown (loosing his honour by loosing his calm and making a fool of himself, if you want to apply different honour codes on people from another culture, as you did with Bush). For all his faults, I liked Bush's response. It was hilarious. LOL

Edited by Styrbiorn - 19-Dec-2008 at 08:05
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2008 at 22:15

Well dear Reginmund,

You are assuming that he held as virtue, notions of dignity, honour, self respect and pride. You can't hurt people's honour if they has none to begin with. He has always been good at dodging anyway, afterall he is a draft dodger.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2008 at 23:22
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Well dear Reginmund,

Well, in the West no ones cares about shoes, and the so called shoe-throwing "hero" is seen as a clown (loosing his honour by loosing his calm and making a fool of himself, if you want to apply different honour codes on people from another culture, as you did with Bush). For all his faults, I liked Bush's response. It was hilarious. LOL

The 'West', last I checked hasn't had a uniform reaction to this. Yes, most see it as funny but also many see it as just. It is easy to talk about being calm when your entire family and nation isn't brought to its knee's by a nitwit imperialist.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2008 at 23:24
I'll certainly miss this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whhbPVrb5KM
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2008 at 23:30

Here's some pics:

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2008 at 23:58
His recommendation recently for his sucessor's mandate to run for office was: "he is a good family man with a wife and daughters and loves them".

No ability to actually analyse policy issues the man has - he touts family values as being the ultimate qualifier for the role of most powerful man on the planet - moron!

Perhaps if I marry an American woman and breed out a couple of kids I too will qualify to run the nation on the planet with the most impressive nuclear arsenal.

Didn't work for Nicholas II, it won't work for anyone else with heavy geopolitical responsibilities

Edited by Constantine XI - 21-Dec-2008 at 00:00
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2008 at 12:43
Protesters throw all kinds of things to politicians. In this case, it is obvious that this person could not bring rotten eggs, cakes, or a bucketful of slurry (which was thrown to a British politician) to a press meeting with Dubya, because the very tight security would not have allowed it. Therefore he had a limited choice of things to throw to that murdering war criminal. So he threw his shoes, it need not necessarily be a special insult. It definitely is not the ultimate insult in 'Islamic culture' as some idiots in the press write. I personally know many (white, western) protesters who would throw anything to Bush, given the chance. You would need a brave man to do that though, that much is unquestionable.

Now given this, comments like;

Well, in the West no ones cares about shoes, and the so called shoe-throwing "hero" is seen as a clown (loosing his honour by loosing his calm and making a fool of himself, if you want to apply different honour codes on people from another culture, as you did with Bush). For all his faults, I liked Bush's response. It was hilarious.

trying to claim racial superiority over this rightous protest action are extremely sad... Nevermind wrong, as others pointed out, because most in the West agree with the protestor, and don't see him as a clown. If the Western journalists had one tenth of his balls, rather than act as cheerleaders to the Iraq war, maybe we would have avoided the current war.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2008 at 13:43

Hello o you all

If you think the guy who threw the shoe an "Islamist" then your wrong. The guy, and you will like this Bey, is a well known ardent communist (the Iraqi communist party is quite popular in Iraq), the shoe was the only thing he could through plus in the Iraqi culture it is an insult.

Anyway Bush actually outsmarted everyone during this incident with his clever reply, the only clever reply in the past 8 years, when he said that this is democracy.

Where will history put Bush? Only God knows. To me he is probably in the bottom ten for many reasons both internal and external. The obvious corruption that became rampant in the US and turned politicians into corporate agents, the wars, the roller coaster economy, Guantanamo and the blatant refusal to comply with legal rulings (pobably the first in this scale since King Andrew I). Certainly no president in the 20th century, not even Harding, had such a record.

Al-Jassas
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2008 at 14:41
The guy, and you will like this Bey, is a well known ardent communist (the Iraqi communist party is quite popular in Iraq), the shoe was the only thing he could through plus in the Iraqi culture it is an insult.

Didn't know that. Nice to know if it's indeed the case.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2008 at 18:57

Oh he is a communist alright. Just see his profile at the BBC where they show Che posters and communist book in his apartment.

Al-Jassas
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2008 at 10:13
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

trying to claim racial superiority over this rightous protest action are extremely sad... Nevermind wrong, as others pointed out, because most in the West agree with the protestor, and don't see him as a clown. If the Western journalists had one tenth of his balls, rather than act as cheerleaders to the Iraq war, maybe we would have avoided the current war.

Instead of making assumptions about my personal beliefs maybe you should have read what I actually wrote. It's a mystery to me how you could find any attempts of "racial superiority" or somesuch nonsense in the post.

Gharanai asked about how shoe-flinging was seen in the West: "I don't really know how is it considered in the western culture, but it would had be nice for him to shoot himself". This is what I answered to, nothing else. Not how good or bad Bush is, not how righteous or not the shoe-throwing was. Just the act itself.

---
And just out of curiosity, what newspapers did you read in 2003? All major papers here were more of line "Bush=Hitler!".

Edited by Styrbiorn - 22-Dec-2008 at 10:28
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2008 at 12:07
Instead of making assumptions about my personal beliefs maybe you should have read what I actually wrote. It's a mystery to me how you could find any attempts of "racial superiority" or somesuch nonsense in the post.

Let me try to explain to you why your post was extremely offensive. In order to do that, you have to use your brain a bit, but I will help you in the steps of the process, so don't worry. 

1. Dubya is responsible for illegally invading Iraq and causing the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis. As you wrote Dubya = Hitler. The only difference between the two is Hitler was actually elected.

2. A 'goodbye' press conference is arranged, so that the Iraqi puppet government and various journalists can kiss his ass. One Iraqi is fed up with this and throws his shoe at him in an extremely brave protest action. 

3. Millions around the world and in Iraq itself approve of the action or at least think that he has good reason to do what he did. I have never seen any negative comment on what he did, not in Western media nor anywhere else.

4. Some idiots in the media characteristically focus on the form of the action (throwing of a shoe) rather than why he did it. They tell us this is the 'ultimate insult' in 'Islamic culture'. They therefore create an imaginary Western/Eastern divide. As if the guy is offended because he is from 'an alien culture' rather than because his country was laid to waste. If he were Western, he would not be protesting. As if throwing shoes at someone is a sign of love and affection in 'Christian culture'... The important point is, the brave protester opposed the foreign invader and made a point which reverberated around the world. It is not important what he threw.

5. An Afghan member here is outraged by the fact that Dubya is joking about the matter, where he should be ashamed. If I had invaded Iraq and caused the death of hundreds of thousands, and an Iraqi threw me something during my own press conference, I would at least have thought 'have I done something wrong?' and would not have been joking about it. This is basic human decency and has nothing to do with your race or whatever. Dubya however, is hardly human.

6. Now, you come along with your drivel, which I will analyse in detail:  
Well, in the West no ones cares about shoes, and the so called shoe-throwing "hero" is seen as a clown
Everyone cares (or should care) about shoes if they are thrown at them in protest. You claim that the West sees the protestor a 'clown', which is wrong. As I have written, yours is the only negative comment I have seen anywhere. So not the 'West', but you personally see him as a clown, because either you are on Dubya's side (OK with the Iraq invasion) or you are massively deficient in wisdom to the degree that for you being rude to a mass-murderer for protest purposes is worse than the mass-murder's actions.

(loosing his honour by loosing his calm and making a fool of himself, if you want to apply different honour codes on people from another culture, as you did with Bush).

Here you claim that by losing his calm, he made a fool of himself, and lost his honour. So for you, Dubya was honourable and the protestor wasn't, because Western honour code is different (and since you say you agree with Dubya, superior). So you think that someone from an invaded country is actually offended because of their cultural inferiority (or 'difference') rather than by the fact that his country has been ravaged. 

For all his faults, I liked Bush's response. It was hilarious.
So as long as you crack a joke after it, it is OK to kill thousands. Welcome to Star Wars morality. 'Yeah, Darth Vader destroyed a planet in the first film but he saved his son in the third, so let's forgive him everyone, he is a good guy inside'. You should stop watching so many Hollywood movies. 

Gharanai asked about how shoe-flinging was seen in the West: "I don't really know how is it considered in the western culture, but it would had be nice for him to shoot himself". This is what I answered to, nothing else. Not how good or bad Bush is, not how righteous or not the shoe-throwing was. Just the act itself.

Obviously he is asking about the event at hand, not some olympic shoe-flinging contest. And the correct answer is 'most Western people are happy about the action, and agree with it and see the protestor as a brave man'. Not 'we in the West believe that the protestor is a clown and Bush is honourable'. 

And just out of curiosity, what newspapers did you read in 2003? All major papers here were more of line "Bush=Hitler!".

I read the newspapers that mattered. The American ones. The British ones. They were all pro-war. Not Svenska Dagblatter or such. You were the one who spoke for the 'West', but now you are suddenly defining it as 'Sweden'. 
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2008 at 13:25
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

Long post

What was so hard to understand? I specifically said I was only talking about the act of shoes alone, nothing else. If Gharanai meant the whole event as that, then I misunderstood him.

So as long as you crack a joke after it, it is OK to kill thousands. Welcome to Star Wars morality. 'Yeah, Darth Vader destroyed a planet in the first film but he saved his son in the third, so let's forgive him everyone, he is a good guy inside'. You should stop watching so many Hollywood movies.

I found his response funny. Much worse massmurderers, like Stalin, Hitler etc also had their funny moments. Where did I say that makes him or anyone else a 'good guy inside'? Reading behind the lines doesn't include adding your own personal prejudice.
edit:
Originally posted by Parnell

The 'West', last I checked hasn't had a uniform reaction to this. Yes, most see it as funny but also many see it as just. It is easy to talk about being calm when your entire family and nation isn't brought to its knee's by a nitwit imperialist.

Missed this post.
Very true indeed. I realise I exagerrated, or was unclear. I wasn't talking about the protest in general, just about the specific way it was done. I got annoyed with the assertion that you're only an honourable person if you follow a certain honour code, which is the reason of my post in the first place. Personally I also see it as an entirely just protest.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 22-Dec-2008 at 13:50
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2008 at 16:05
This Forum is about discussing views, just because you don't agree with someone else's views doesn't give the right to call them something based on a assumption of your own.

Discuss your views on this event, but don't read to much into someones post to slander them please, I think and HOPE we could keep this thread civil. Just don't want this to get off-topic early with a personal fight on who said what. And while this may have been brought on by a post above, this isn't directly aimed at one person, this is for everyone.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2008 at 18:11
Well if I could rewind it correctly, he was the first president in America to not have walked to White House and instead was driven to it due to some egg and tomoto throwers (plz correct me if mistaken) and the same way he leaves so for sure one can say that the way he came, that he went.

hahahahahah

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2008 at 19:47
Nice thought Gharanai, but a trifle inaccurate.

The first US President not to walk in the inaugural parade was George Washington, who rode a horse. The first one to ride in a car (automobile) was Warren Harding. And the first one to walk was Jimmy Carter.

Edited by gcle2003 - 23-Dec-2008 at 19:48
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2008 at 21:46
the brave protester opposed the foreign invader and made a point which reverberated around the world. It is not important what he threw.

Now, the real question is, did it accomplish anything? Sure, we are talking about it, but the act is not bringing up anything that we didn't know. We are just discussing how one man got to do what so many in the world want.

But in the big scheme of things the shoe throwing doesn't change anything.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2008 at 12:53
My my, it seems this is an emotional topic. I thought of it as more of a rare moment of comedy in the world of politics; from the hilarious act of throwing shoes, which does make one look much like a clown, to Bush dodging and commenting on the shoe size.

From a serious POV it must be said I'm no fan of Bush, the republicans or the conservative right in the US, but in this particular case I can't help but sympathise more with Bush who handled the situation with style and came out on top, rather than some hothead who couldn't control his emotions and embarassed himself with a futile and comical act. I understand from that a different cultural point of view having shoes thrown at one might be seen as something terrible, but I doubt anyone outside that particular circle will be aware of this. In European and East Asian cultures losing control of your emotions is seen as shameful.

That being said, to torture this guy and threaten him with 15 years in prison is atrocious. His act only barely qualifies as a crime and should be punished with a heavy fine at most.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2008 at 13:11
...Losing control of our emotions is shameful is it? Thats a tad strange since we have butchered each other in an uncountable multitude of wars since the beginning of time... Seems like losing control of our emotions is the only constant human beings have.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>