Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The exdogamic tradition of Turko-Mongol peoples

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The exdogamic tradition of Turko-Mongol peoples
    Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 07:26
Ancient Turco-Mongol peoples often have the reputation of marrying outside one's tribe. It was a practical manner to ensure gene exchange on the steppes, where people generally moved about in bands of small numbers.
This explains why many Turkic peoples quickly adopt the physical appearance of their neighbouring nations once they settle there.

I wonder whether this tradition has survived to the present day.
Are most Turkic peoples still rather "liberal" in the cases of mixed marriages?

The Kazakhs are known to be divided into 3 hordes with strong rivalry between them. Are members of these 3 hordes endogamic, or they could marry between them?

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 18:44
i think it mostly dissappeared, but Karakalpaks apparently still do it to some degree:

http://www.karakalpak.com/marriage.html
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 19:10
Kazakh marriages (are?) regulated by clans, I believe. So I'd doubt that units such as hordes would have problems marrying each other.

Edited by Beylerbeyi - 07-Dec-2008 at 19:13
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2008 at 18:40
Originally posted by Temujin

i think it mostly dissappeared, but Karakalpaks apparently still do it to some degree:

http://www.karakalpak.com/marriage.html

Very interesting article indeed.
I believe that the exogamic tradition was practiced more when the tribes were nomadic, when they moved in small groups of up to a few hundred.
It would certainly be necessary for them to constantly absorb genes from outside groups.

However, once the people have settle down and their numbers have become more numerous, no longer is this practice necessary.

I wonder whether  most Turkic and Mongol people today are more or less tolerant towards interethnic marriages than settled nationalities like Russians, Europeans, and Chinese.

Post Reply Post Reply