Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkey to hear jail torture case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkey to hear jail torture case
    Posted: 26-Nov-2008 at 00:29

By Sarah Rainsford
BBC News, Istanbul

A%20soldier%20stands%20guard%20inside%20a%20Turkish%20prison.%20File%20photo
The trial is expected to open in January

A court in Turkey has agreed to hear a case against 60 police and prison officials accused of the ill treatment and torture of people last month.

One man died of a brain haemorrhage after an alleged beating in Istanbul.

Prosecutors have called for three prison guards and one manager to be given life imprisonment for torture.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7748325.stm

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2008 at 00:39
Is this new for you?
Anfører
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2008 at 01:47
This is wonderful. Right now the Turkish prison system enjoys more than a bit of international notoriety; it would be wonderful to see the problem addressed. Does this stand any chance of being the catalyst for a series of broad reforms?

-Akolouthos
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2008 at 06:01

Cearly the Midnight Express has distorted your vision.

Al-Jassas
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2008 at 06:27
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Al-Jassas

Perhaps I am a bit too optimistic. Well, one can hope anyway. Wink The article seems to imply that it could lead to a substantial reform -- at least as I read it.

-Akolouthos
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 18:03
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Al-Jassas

This problem could happen anywhere in the world; USA, Europe, Asia, Africa. The point is whether it happens in Turkey or elsewhere it needs to be addressed and such treatment of people, fellow humans, should never be tolerated. Prison should not be a fun place to be in but toture should never be tolerated. I feel bad for this man and even though his views were probably opposite of mine, he is still a human.

I had a freind beaten by the local police in my city and because it was his word against my friend, who had a criminal record, the cop never got in trouble. No one is soley picking on Turkey and I am sure most Turkish Police and correctional officers would oppose such violence. Like here, I am sure the policeman's code could keeps them quiet though. You don't rat on a fellow officer no matter what- a real problem in the USA.

Edited by eaglecap - 17-Dec-2008 at 18:04
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
 Post Reply Post Reply