Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Arab World

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Arab World
    Posted: 22-Nov-2008 at 06:42
Arabic was strongly established in Al-Andalus, unfortunately a fraction of the books we know were written, since we have lists of them, exist and most in abridged form. The reason was simple. The Berber hordes did their share particularly after each defeat they suffer from the christians, the christians themselves did their own share slavaging only books in medicine, farming and botany.

AL-Jassas
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2008 at 06:47
Originally posted by Al Jassas

What is the BS in it?

Al-Jassas

The whole Paragraph. Read it again then change Persian with Arabic and reread it.
Anfører
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2008 at 12:41

Arabic was strongly established in Al-Andalus, (...) slavaging only books in medicine, farming and botany.

AL-Jassas

Well, sort of. Al-Andalus power and intellectuals spoke and wrote in Arab. The common people continued speaking in romance. The question is, why the vulgar Latin remained so strong.
On the other hand, Arab literature didn't survive as such in Spain. However, you can find traces of it influence in classic Spanish literarute. In Spain, there is a continious tradition of popular poetry and music that comes from the Arab Middle Ages up to modern times.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2008 at 04:35
Hello Suren

Well let us see shall we:

Persian Poetry: Arabic style, Arabic meter, Arabic themes and even Arabic terminology.
Persian Language: Arabic based grammar, Arabic terminology and Arabic analytical style.

I am wondering, who took what from who?

Al-Jassas
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2008 at 07:06
Don't go there Al Jassas, it is a pointless discussion.
Originally posted by Pinguin

Well, sort of. Al-Andalus power and intellectuals spoke and wrote in Arab. The common people continued speaking in romance. The question is, why the vulgar Latin remained so strong.

Probably because it was the semetic languages that blurred with Arabic, with none of the Irani languages, Sindhi or Latin being replaced by Arabic. So if we consider that in Spain the majority spoke a non-semetic language, the language of latin was used in Church, and the reconquista was run by latin speaking northerns who had not been under the Arabic language influence that is probably enough to explain it.
Even languages like Assyrian are still alive within the church & christian communities.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2008 at 13:42
Arabic is nothing like what it was before the days of Mohammad.  It went through a period of massive evolution in the 7/800s with rapid Caliphate expansion.  What a surprise.  i wonder who evolved it, perhaps those who were conquered?  why else would it need to change?

What does Arabic analytical style mean? 

Arabic grammar was in large part developed by Persians, that is why you might think it's similar.  I have seen Arabic translated word for word and the structure is nothing like Persian.

As for this "Arab" terminology, I think you'll find most of it is actually derived from Aramaic, another language to die because of the Caliphate, along with so many other. 

andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2008 at 14:19
Well it seems I've missed a relatively interesting discussion. First off before I embark on my large post, Suren, I'm a Copt not an Arab.Tongue

I get these vibes, especially from the Persians, about the 'Arab nationalism' being displayed and the fact that they're taking credit away from the Persians. I can see many are coming off as angry and abrasive. Do you all realize the Persians were said to be barbaric by both the Mesopatamians and Indians? They claimed that these people had no government and often times looted people who passed through its mountains.

Now give credit to Persia, their meteoric rise is similar to Rome in a sense that they exploded unto the scene - yet they also needed help. Persia had a lot of elements that can be related to the likes of the Babylonians and Mesopatamians, not to mention the ideas of military which stemmed from the Syrians.

Ok, I understand, the Persians did make a lot of advancements but they also needed knowledge of previous empires to achieve it. The Persian Empire was not distinctly Persian, rather a culmination of all kinds of different Near East cultures before them. If we're going to go into the "who to credit for the origin of these findings" then just give credit to the Mesopatamians and Egyptians and end the discussion at that.

Also, when I use the term "Arab" I meant the Caliphate. The term "Arab" was used by the civilizations who were overruned by the unified Bedhouin tribe. Arab, in a sense, has to be attributed to the adoption of Islam and the written language Arabic - which to my understanding the Persians used.

Now the Persians were the strongest power before the Arabs moved in so it's only logical the Arabs picked off where the Persians stopped. But that means little in the sense that the Arabs were fertilizers of all cultures not just Persian. For example:

Advancements in astronomy and medicine: Egyptians and Indians.
Advancements in mathematics and technology: Syrians, Persians, and Mesopatamians.
Advancements in shipbuilding and navigation: Phoenicians.
Advancements in terms of poetry, literature, and ancient studies: Greeks.
Advancements in infrastructure: Persians, Egyptians, and Byzantines.

So to say that the creation of the Islamic Caliphate couldn't have been done without the Persian "geniuses" of the day is complete and utter nonsense. Yes, the Persians had the center of knowledge of the time but that was because they dominated the damn area!

All I'm driving at is the civilization of the Islamic Caliphate was not new by any means, they had a good basis. However, the expansion of those basis has to be acredited to the Islamic Caliphate.

Arabic grammar was in large part developed by Persians, that is why you might think it's similar.  I have seen Arabic translated word for word and the structure is nothing like Persian.

Now that's absolute rubbish. You want to take credit for everything and say that you're nothing alike. The fact is Arabic is similar to the Asian languages of the time, the most notable one Aramaic, and the Canaanite languages as well as things similar to Greek. The fact that there was a lot of African - notbably Ethiopian, elements in the language can't be denoted either. But Persian? Persian is an Indo-European language, Arabic is a Semitic language and as such we must acredit the grammar and language to the corrrect people.

And also, there is two types of Arabic, the dialect of the area you live in and the formalized Arabic which you write in. It's not just one jumbled up language everyone speaks similarily like English.

Edited by andrew - 27-Nov-2008 at 14:34
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2008 at 14:38

Hello Suren

Well let us see shall we:

Persian Poetry: Arabic style, Arabic meter, Arabic themes and even Arabic terminology.
Persian Language: Arabic based grammar, Arabic terminology and Arabic analytical style.

I am wondering, who took what from who?

Al-Jassas

Persian Poetry: What do you mean by Arabic style? Arabic meter and... enlighten us.
Persian Language: Arabic based grammar!... Are you kidding me? Do you know Persian at all? The only connection that we have is through Arabic words which we share. You may know that we have equivalent Persian words for almost all of them and it is a matter of time to get rid of them in less than a decade when this Mullahdom in gone. The only reason Arabic words has been used widely in Persian is because of Islam and Clergy influence. Obviously, Arabic was a scientific language in caliphate era which helped to spread it (thank to Persians). Now, Arabic words popularity has gone for decades.
Anfører
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2008 at 14:48
Hi Andrew! it's good to hear some people still consider themselves Cobt out there. Do you still keep some aspects of old Egyptian culture and traditions? Honestly, I have pitty for once maginificant Egyptian civilization (tradition, language,..,) which has been almost completely lost after Islamic conquest. About Zagros statement for Arabic grammar, I think he was referring to Sibawayh. Take a look at this and you find out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibawayh

No hard feeling for our Moderate Arab fellows in this forum(not Arab nationalist obviously). These days, Islam and Islamic law has been forced upon Iranians by Mullahs. Mullahs compress people with Islamic laws, so many people escape from anything Islamic or related to it. You may understand their feeling toward anything attacking their Identity and culture. Unfortunately, Western media make this situation even worse by their bias view about Iran and Iranians (Middle eastern). I learned something when I came to US, They see us (Turk, Persian, Afghan, Arab, Pakistani) the same. The funny thing is we all get along here in US and support each other, but as soon as we go to middle east the same attitude shows up. I told before and say it again; If you say Islamic Culture, Islamic art, Islamic scientist, there is no problem, calling it Arab or Persian or whatever then the discussion starts. Look at the Balkan states, there are too much politic and BS, but their culture, music, food looks very similar and they get along.  

Edited by Suren - 27-Nov-2008 at 15:47
Anfører
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2008 at 15:05
Originally posted by andrew

Now the Persians were the strongest power before the Arabs moved in so it's only logical the Arabs picked off where the Persians stopped.

I think most will disagree here. Prior to the Arab invasions Persia had just lost a large-scale war against the Byzantines, so even though both sides were exhausted there can be little doubt who was the strongest power by the 630s. After the conquest of the area the Caliphate did not pick up where the Persians stopped but where the Byzantines stopped, to the extent that they made use of the same administrative infrastructure and even kept Greek as its official language for around half a century. Not until the ascent of the Abbasid dynasty and the shift of capital from Damascus to Baghdad did the Caliphate start to draw heavily on Persian precedents.

Advancements in astronomy and medicine: Egyptians and Indians.
Advancements in mathematics and technology: Syrians, Persians, and Mesopatamians.
Advancements in shipbuilding and navigation: Phoenicians.
Advancements in terms of poetry, literature, and ancient studies: Greeks.
Advancements in infrastructure: Persians, Egyptians, and Byzantines.

You are right in the examples you give but wrong in their selectiveness. Without denying the others their contributions one must credit the Persians with far more than building infrastructure.

A useful reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iranian_scientists_and_scholars
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2008 at 16:38
I probably should've rephraised what I meant. I meant the Islamic Caliphate as a whole, I didn't know the ethnicities within the empire would dictate the discussion here. And what I mean by that is the exten of the empire all the way from Southern France to the borders of Tibet. I understand this was not an "Arab" accomplishment rather than an Islamic Caliphate one but they were under a unified state.

My reference was moreso to the entirety of the Empire and not just the states of Persia, Baghdad, and Cairo.

Let's get into a dicussion about the Islamic Caliphate, and all that it encompassed, in reference to the rest of the world. Was it in fact the most stable and civilized region in the world?

Edited by andrew - 27-Nov-2008 at 16:41
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2008 at 07:47
Hello to you all

About Arabic, it is exactly what it wa before Islam as it is after Islam. There is a large amount of literature left from those pre-Islamic days and the only change was in the literary styles.

As for Arabic grammar, well obviously you too fell for this lie. The people who first developed grammar were all Arabs. The first book was also written by an Arab (Al-Khalil ibn Ahmed). Sibawayh was one of his students and much of his book is actually based on Khalil's and other Basri linguists books and all of those are Arabs. Sibawayhs book only became popular a century after his death because the Kufi and Baghdadi schools depended on it (its style and organization) in their own books. And by the way, the dominant school of grammar is the kufi school which only has one prominant Persian, Al-Kisai.

As for Arabic and Persian, well Persians not only use the same terms Arabs use for verbs, adjectives and other linguistic terms, they employ an approach in analysing language similar to Arabic. For poetry, if you don't know that poetry is written in meter than why the hell I should argue with you? as for the style, well all the famous Persian poets used Arabic based themes and styles (bayt, qasidah etc.) in their poems untill of course the modern poetry came.

Finally, why on earth should you cleanse Persian from Arabic words? If you think that this will solve all of Iran's problems and you will be a world superpower and everything is going to be OK then keep dreaming.

AL-Jassas
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2008 at 08:45

I probably should've rephraised what I meant. I meant the Islamic Caliphate as a whole, I didn't know the ethnicities within the empire would dictate the discussion here. And what I mean by that is the exten of the empire all the way from Southern France to the borders of Tibet. I understand this was not an "Arab" accomplishment rather than an Islamic Caliphate one but they were under a unified state.

Apart from your somewhat maximalist take on its extent, this is exactly how one must consider the Islamic Caliphate; as a multi-ethnic and -cultural achievement of all the peoples that fell under its rule.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2008 at 14:50
Arabic has not changed? no, not much in the last 12-1300 years. But it changed dramatically in the two centuries before that.

Are you telling me that Arabs came into civilisation already learned and masterful of everything? Language grows with advance, not before it.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2008 at 14:57
The Caliphate was Arabic, Arabs get cagey when they are not leading Islam, that is why I say what I do about Islam. You will see that throughout history Arabs stab other Muslims in the back through jealousy, the most recent examples being their governments siding with Israel and the West against their own people in the hopes that Muslim leadership will not pass to non-Arabs. Likewise they did something similar when they betrayed the Ottoman Turk Muslims and sided with the colonialists, paving the way for the Palestinian tragedy and English and American meddling for a century to come.
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2008 at 23:41
Originally posted by Zagros

The Caliphate was Arabic, Arabs get cagey when they are not leading Islam, that is why I say what I do about Islam. You will see that throughout history Arabs stab other Muslims in the back through jealousy, the most recent examples being their governments siding with Israel and the West against their own people in the hopes that Muslim leadership will not pass to non-Arabs. Likewise they did something similar when they betrayed the Ottoman Turk Muslims and sided with the colonialists, paving the way for the Palestinian tragedy and English and American meddling for a century to come.

Hi Zagros,
This generalization doesn't make any sense especially when it comes from an intellectual member like you.
not all Arabs stabbed the Ottomans in the back, read the history of the Arabic tribes in southern Iraq and you will see what I am trying to say here.
the Arabian tribes fought the British so bravely, and the Hawza declared Jihad and  the recruit centers are opened in Baghdad,Najaf,Kerbala and Basrah.
Ayatallah Muhammed Said al-Haboobi was killed while fighting the British with his Mujhedeen near Nasiriyah in 1916 A.D.
for the other Arabs who sided with the British you can't blame them for what they did,The Ottoman treated the Arab unfairly especially in the era of young turks(al-Ithad wa al-Taraqqi) the Arab land declined under the Ottoman rule, it was a dark era lasted 400 years while the developments still active in the Turks land.
the first who stabbed the Ottoman in the back were the Iranian Safavids under Ismael, in the midst of the Ottoman campaign in Europe, they tucked their propagandist in the Ottomans land and showed a high degree of hostility until the big clash at Chalderan and started a long time rivalary was so devastated to the Islamic region.
I wonder about this phrase" throughout history" prove it please like a theory that Arabs are perfidious.
and you answered yourself by saying the Arabic governments are against their people, which I agree with but it is a clear refutation of your argument in other way.
I can say more regarding this issue, but I think it is enough here.
no hard feelings my friend, just a small dissension.
for Suren he is reminding me of Land of Aryan, the same nationalistic attitudes, Land of Aryans knew that his way could not work here so he backed off.

Edited by Ahmed The Fighter - 29-Nov-2008 at 23:44
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2008 at 00:47
Originally posted by Zagros

Because 1000 years of Turkish dominated Khalifates prove your point so well... Confused
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2008 at 04:31
Ahmad
What do you mean by saying the same nationalistic attitude? LoA was a friend of mine, but it doesn't make me to be agree with all of his opinions. I do hate ultra-nationalist in any shape be it Turkish, Iranian, Arab, Indian, white, black, yellow.... aslo believe in religion being a personal matter (Church and state separation). I do respect religions when they are not force upon people and dont cause violence.
Anfører
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2008 at 07:13
Hello to you all

The problem here is that some members think that the fact that Persian literature and language has been strongly influenced by Arabic and that the existence of so many Arabic terms and influences as something of a nevative thing and indicates inferiority of some sort.

This is not true at all, languages evolve and people tend to borrow to complete their languages. When Arabs first came to Persia they borrowed hundreds if not thousands of words despite the existence of their equivalents. Modern Arabic borrowed alot from Turkish and other european languages including literary styles and this is a natural process and there should be no problem. Too much sensitivity is not good and what is even more terrible is the thought that "cleaning" the language would help advance the nation and I think the Turkish example proves how wrong is this.

Al-Jassas
Asawar Hazaraspa View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Asawar Hazaraspa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2008 at 19:15

As for Arabic and Persian, well Persians not only use the same terms Arabs use for verbs, adjectives and other linguistic terms, they employ an approach in analysing language similar to Arabic. For poetry, if you don't know that poetry is written in meter than why the hell I should argue with you? as for the style, well all the famous Persian poets used Arabic based themes and styles (bayt, qasidah etc.) in their poems untill of course the modern poetry came.
There are far better Iranian alternatives for all those grammtical terms you mentioned it was only a matter fo 'preference' in post-conquest to use those Arabic words. And Persian grammar is almost not influenced by Arabic. cause they are not even related. I bet you have no knowledge of Iranian languages, Persian included and also Middle persian and you don't even know that Iranian poetry existed before Arab invasion of Iran with quite rhythmic rhymes. 

Finally, why on earth should you cleanse Persian from Arabic words? If you think that this will solve all of Iran's problems and you will be a world superpower and everything is going to be OK then keep dreaming.
Who the hell on earth have made a superpower with improvements of language so far?!! I am asking myself: how did you come to this point to relate improvments in Persian langugae which you may not know even be familiar with, to problems of Iran!. Maybe you are the one who thinks this way?!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>