Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Arab World

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Arab World
    Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 01:25
Hello all, anyone remember me? It's been a long time in waiting but I'm finally back!

Anyways, I've heard a lot refer to the 800-1200 as the time where the Arab world outdid any other part of the world at the time including East and South Asia. We all know The American Empires were advanced but severely behind (given their geographic location and lack of 0 and the wheel), and that Europe was in turmoil. I'm not too sure about East Asia but at its pinacle I think, personally, I can safely say it was the most developed region in the world in terms of technology, civilization, mathematics, and navigation.

Any thoughts on this?

(And yes, I am a Middle Easterner so forvgive me being bias.)Wink

Also, I am not responsible for the Single Muslims site at the bottom of my signature thank you!Tongue

Edited by andrew - 18-Nov-2008 at 01:35
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 02:24
Originally posted by andrew

The American Empires were advanced but severely behind (given their geographic location and lack of 0 and the wheel)Tongue

Confused The maya knew about the concept of zero 

Edited by Count Belisarius - 18-Nov-2008 at 02:32

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 03:10
If you mean Muslim world you may be correct. More than half of the scientists, scholars and achievements of the Muslim worlds came from Andelus, North Africa, Persia and northern India, so it is bias to call it simply Arab world. I guess you are an Egyptian Arab, so I am not surprised. No offense Btw...  
Anfører
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 15:08

Anyways, I've heard a lot refer to the 800-1200 as the time where the Arab world outdid any other part of the world at the time including East and South Asia. We all know The American Empires were advanced but severely behind (given their geographic location and lack of 0 and the wheel), and that Europe was in turmoil. I'm not too sure about East Asia but at its pinacle I think, personally, I can safely say it was the most developed region in the world in terms of technology, civilization, mathematics, and navigation.

The term Arab world is not appropriate if what you say is to apply to all the lands under Islam and not just the areas where Arabs were the majority. Granted, the Caliphate started out as a purely Arab endeavor in the 7th century but their importance as a ruling class diminished over time, especially from the Abbasid era onwards they were increasingly phased out politically and culturally by Persians and militarily by Turks, and long before the end of your period the Caliph himself had little to no power. There were several intellectuals of Arab descent who made scientific advances important to mankind, but most seem to have been Persian or of other ethnicities. In general it could be said the Arabs contributed with establishing the political framework for an empire and gave it an official language and religion, then the project was taken over from within by the very peoples absorbed by the conquests.

As for being advanced, in your timeframe the Caliphates were probably second to Tang and Song China in most aspects. China was far more tightly organised and centralised around a stronger state institution. Its school system was unrivalled; in theory anyone could ascend to officialdom, the height of the position depending on how far one progressed in the exam levels. This system had been introduced as early as during the Han dynasty, but it wasn't until the Song that the majority of civil servicemen reached their position through it. China's literary output was also unrivalled; in the Tang period China had more female poets than Europe had poets in total. Add to this the endless list of Chinese inventions under the Tang and Song. I can't even bother listing them, just look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_Dynasty#Science.2C_technology.2C_and_medicine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_of_the_Song_Dynasty

Be this as it may, China was remote and in its zone the Islamic Caliphate, which made great advances in math, medicine and navigation and produced many excellent literary works, was rivalled only by Byzantium, although not geographically until the splintering of the Caliphate.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 00:23
he meant the Arab "wishful thinking" World.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 01:15

Hello all, anyone remember me? It's been a long time in waiting but I'm finally back!

Any thoughts on this?

Perhaps personal opinions. I am a Chilean (Hispanic) and as such I am familiarized with the golden age of the Arab world during the Middle Ages; for Al-Andalus, of course.

Well, I think that the Arab (or Muslim) world was well ahead of Europe in most aspects, but not all. With respect to China, I have the idea East Asia was slightly ahead of the Arabs in technology, particularly in mass production.
To compare things fairly, we should compare each topic in an independent way. For instance:

In advanced mathematics (algebra, spherical trigonometry, etc.) the Arabs lead.
In physics, particularly optics, the Arabs lead, particularly with Alhazen.
In medicine, without doubt, Arabs were light years ahead of anybody else.
In clockworks and inventions, Arabs and Chinese had both achievements to show.
In architecture, the Bizantine has an edge; for instance, Bizantine architects worked in the Arab world! Besides, the cathedrals of Northern Europe were the most advanced buildings of theirs times in terms of engineering.
In navigation, Norse and Arabs developed marvellous advances in shipbuilding, but we shouldn't forget the rudder and the compass came from China.
In music, arabs develop many instruments that become classic in the west, such as the ancestors of guitars and violin.
So, although the Arabs were probably number one, the advantages are relative.

With respect to native american civilizations, we shouldn't compare them with the rest, for the simple reason those were isolated from the rest of the world. So, all theirs creativity was autoctonous.

Just an opinion, anyways

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 09:09
pinguin, for the sake of precision take care to differentiate between Arabs and Persians. You seem to use Arab as an umbrella term for all inhabitants of the Caliphate, while they were a minority outside the Arab heartlands and military towns. Further, Arabs and Persians are two very distinct groups and given their tense relations they tend to take offense to being mistaken for the other. 

I'm a bit pedantic about this because claiming the Caliphate can stand a comparison with China is an arguable case, but saying the Arabs as a people in the period 800-1200 were ahead of the Chinese is preposterous. As already pointed out the majority of the Caliphate's intellectuals were not Arabs but Persians. The Arabs were essentially soldiers and administrators during the early phase of the Caliphate, before being phased out by Persians and Turks in those roles during the Abbasids, after which they pass into relative obscurity.

We may be coming at this from different angles; when you hear Islamic world you see Al-Andalus while I see Baghdad and Cairo, but what I say holds true for Al-Andalus as well. Al-Andalus was largely a Berber project under Arab overlordship; Tariq bin Ziyad, the initial conqueror of Iberia, was a Berber leading Berbers, and from the Almovarid conquest onwards not even the ruling class was Arab.

As for the comparison with China, you write "I have the idea East Asia was slightly ahead", a phrasing which sounds very insecure and inclines me to believe you are speculating based on a mere skeleton of information here. If you read a few books on Chinese history, preferably from a sociological perspective rather than political, I think you will be awed at China under the Tang and Song. An online course which really helped me get started can be found at: http://www.east-asian-history.net/textbooks/PM-China/index.htm

Lastly, I feel like I come off as an Arab-basher here. That's not the intention but credit must be given where credit is due.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 11:11
Al-Andalus a Berber project? I am afraid that isn't true. Al-Andalus was from the beginning a muslim project where the ruling elite was Arab and the intellectuals where multicultural, between Persians, Syrians and native Jews, Christians and Muslims. Most of the people of Al-Andalus was Spaniard. Besides, Al-Andalus spoke Arab as the official language (although proto-Spanish was the language of the people). With respect to the Almoravids, they just lead the decline and defeat of Al-Andalus and had not much to do with its glory at all.

With respect to the comparisson with China, the muslim intellectuals were ahead of China in abstract science: astronomy, physics, mathematics and medicine, as well as ahead of every other people in the world. I have no doubt about it.

China was ahead in technology, by just a bit, but mainly in manufacturing, but in theorical science they weren't at all. Absolutely not. You shouldn't forget that muslims merchants helped to enrich Tang China, and not the other way around.

With respect to the term Arab, it has two meanings, at least in Spanish. One is Arab properly; a native from the Arabian peninsulae. But other is Arabized, which we use as a allias for Muslim of the Middle Ages. That's all. I used the term Arab in the second sense.

Edited by pinguin - 19-Nov-2008 at 11:16
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 12:28
Originally posted by pinguin

Al-Andalus a Berber project? I am afraid that isn't true. Al-Andalus was from the beginning a muslim project where the ruling elite was Arab and the intellectuals where multicultural, between Persians, Syrians and native Jews, Christians and Muslims. Most of the people of Al-Andalus was Spaniard. Besides, Al-Andalus spoke Arab as the official language (although proto-Spanish was the language of the people). With respect to the Almoravids, they just lead the decline and defeat of Al-Andalus and had not much to do with its glory at all.

Largely a Berber project. There is a significant difference. I am of course aware that to begin with the ruling class was Arab, I'm also aware that as soon as Tariq and his Berbers had conquered most of Iberia the Arab governor of Africa, Musa bin Nusair, swooped in, took charge and dismissed Tariq. Wink In any case, if you choose to focus on the early period alone (until 1031) it can be argued that it was an Arab project, but Al-Andalus existed for a long time, from 711 to 1492, and for over half that time it was ruled by Berber dynasties.  Also note that when I speak of a "project" I'm only referring to organisation at the top level.

With respect to the comparisson with China, the muslim intellectuals were ahead of China in abstract science: astronomy, physics, mathematics and medicine, as well as ahead of every other people in the world. I have no doubt about it.

Muslim intellectuals, yes, now we're on the same page. And even if they weren't all Muslims the generalization is reasonable and the case can certainly be made that they were ahead of China in the areas you mention. Astronomy is an interesting example in particular, for the Chinese concluded the Earth was flat and the Heavens round. This was the prevailing belief until they encountered European astronomy in the 17th century.

China was ahead in technology, by just a bit, but mainly in manufacturing, but in theorical science they weren't at all. Absolutely not. You shouldn't forget that muslims merchants helped to enrich Tang China, and not the other way around.

Actually both ways, trade is never a one way process, it lies in the very nature of the concept. I trust you are aware that the Tang did not restrict trade in the same way as many other, more isolationist dynasties did. The Chinese traded far and wide in this era, not just with Muslims, and in most cases it was the foreigners who were after Chinese manufactures and not vice versa.

China was ahead in technology by a bit more than a bit and the Islamic civilisation relied heavily on Chinese inventions that travelled westward.

Edit: This is an enlightening book: http://www.innertraditions.com/Product.jmdx;jsessionid=2E1742F571331361497DABB06CB52361?action=displayDetail&id=3591&searchString=1-59477-217-7

Summary: "Undisputed masters of invention and discovery for 3,000 years, the ancient Chinese were the first to discover the solar wind and the circulation of the blood and even to isolate sex hormones. From the suspension bridge and the seismograph to deep drilling for natural gas, the iron plough, and the parachute, ancient China’s contributions in the fields of engineering, medicine, technology, mathematics, science, transportation, warfare, and music helped inspire the European agricultural and industrial revolutions."

Edited by Reginmund - 19-Nov-2008 at 12:34
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 14:33

Originally posted by Reginmund

..Largely a Berber project.
Sorry. It were the Arabs who conquered the Maghreb and Islamized the Berbers, and not the other way around.

In any case, if you choose to focus on the early period alone (until 1031) it can be argued that it was an Arab project, but Al-Andalus existed for a long time, from 711 to 1492, and for over half that time it was ruled by Berber dynasties. Also note that when I speak of a "project" I'm only referring to organisation at the top level..

China was ruled by Mongol dinasties, but nobody speaks about a "Mongol" civilization. In Spain nobody has idea what language Berbers spoke, however most people know some Arab words.

Muslim intellectuals, yes, now we're on the same page. And even if they weren't all Muslims the generalization is reasonable and the case can certainly be made that they were ahead of China in the areas you mention. Astronomy is an interesting example in particular, for the Chinese concluded the Earth was flat and the Heavens round. This was the prevailing belief until they encountered European astronomy in the 17th century.

Of course, particularly in mathematical techniques, the Arabs were well ahead of the pack.

China was ahead in technology by a bit more than a bit and the Islamic civilisation relied heavily on Chinese inventions that travelled westward.
Summary: "Undisputed masters of invention and discovery for 3,000 years, the ancient Chinese were the first to discover the solar wind and the circulation of the blood and even to isolate sex hormones. From the suspension bridge and the seismograph to deep drilling for natural gas, the iron plough, and the parachute, ancient China’s contributions in the fields of engineering, medicine, technology, mathematics, science, transportation, warfare, and music helped inspire the European agricultural and industrial revolutions."

I am familiarized with Chinese inventions, that's why I say Chinese were slightly more advanced. In fact, I have read Nehdamm (sorry the spelling). The guy's arguments are interested but a little bit biassed, I am afraid. He tried to prove everything comes from China, and many times forgets similar inventions created in the West and Central Asia. Yes, Chinese invented many interested practical things, but they didn't invented it all. Things like the instruments for chemical laboratories and the invention of the wind mill, among many others, come from muslim lands.

Arabs have a direct influence in the Scientific Revolution of the West. That's theirs contribution. With respect to the Industrial Revolution, in the West you should study the origin of machinery in water mills, and also the development of clockworks, that happened during the Middle Age and that's interesting and have nothing to do with China.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 14:54

Sorry. It were the Arabs who conquered the Maghreb and Islamized the Berbers, and not the other way around.

Quite, but I was talking about Al-Andalus.

China was ruled by Mongol dinasties, but nobody speaks about a "Mongol" civilization. In Spain nobody has idea what language Berbers spoke, however most people know some Arab words.

Actually China under the Yuan dynasty is commonly referred to as the Mongol Empire. But the analogy is weak anyhow.

Concerning your second statement it points back to what I wrote earlier about the Arabs establishing a political framework with a single language and religion, which is later taken over from within by the subjugated peoples (Berbers in Spain, Persians and Turks in the Middle East).
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 23:00

Quite, but I was talking about Al-Andalus.

Al-Andalus was conquered by muslims; and Arabs were the mind behind that civilization.

Actually China under the Yuan dynasty is commonly referred to as the Mongol Empire. But the analogy is weak anyhow.

Actually, the parallels are striking. Almoravids were just a dinasty more in Al-Andalus. The origin could be Berber, but the culture was still the same as before theirs invasion. In the case of the Yuan and the Ming dinasties, they also were a foreign rulers of a country whose culture they didn't change but rather had to addapt. 

Concerning your second statement it points back to what I wrote earlier about the Arabs establishing a political framework with a single language and religion, which is later taken over from within by the subjugated peoples (Berbers in Spain, Persians and Turks in the Middle East).

I agree absolutely. Most of the genious of the "Arabic" civilization were Arabized people, rather than native Arabs. Al-Kwarismi was Afgan, for instance, and there are many that came from Persia, Syria, Egypt and also Al-Andalus.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 23:13
Only for correction not being pain in somewhere!Embarrassed Al-Kwarismi was not Afghan(Pashtun), he was Persian(Tajik). Take a look at this and then decide who is arab and who is not. Persians are not considered Arabized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_scientists
Ignore some new adds which are funny to me instead of adding Scientists some people add any random person to satisfy their inferiority complex. They put every muslim astronaut in the list some kazakh guy, a syrian pilot, a Saudi prince pilot, an Iranian space tourist wtf?

Edited by Suren - 19-Nov-2008 at 23:46
Anfører
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 23:26
Thanks!!!
I was afraid I was wrong with him. I just recalled he was afgan by memory.
In any case,quite a bit of the most outstanding genious of the "Arab" civilization came from Persia!
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 00:05

Thanks!!!
I was afraid I was wrong with him. I just recalled he was afgan by memory.
In any case,quite a bit of the most outstanding genious of the "Arab" civilization came from Persia!

Thank you for your comment. Persians make a portion of them not all. I guess most of the Arabs were pretty busy in ruling the caliphate , war, politic and collecting money. If they were not busy ruling the country they may contribute more in science and art than what they did in those days; consequently, they may have reached to a higher level of civilization which may last many more centuries. Crusades had a bad impact on Islamic attitude and somehow slowly changed the love of science and art with war and jihad. Andalus before turning to an unstable warring state between Muslims and Christians, were a good example of glorious Islamic civilization.

Edited by Suren - 20-Nov-2008 at 00:07
Anfører
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 00:20
Yeap. As a Hispanic, and even after three centuries of Inquisition, I can tell you in the Spanish speaking world Al-Andalus (Andalucia) is still the core of the identity that our peoples have in common, both in Europe and in the Americas.

When I listen to flamenco, for instance,I just start to follow the rythm with the feet Big%20smile. Dad played Spanish guitar and I still remember when I was a child (decades ago) he and his friends song old poems that remembered Al-Andalus and its marvellous culture. Because Arab culture is alive in the guitar; no doubt about it. If you ever heared classic spanish guitar, you will know what I meant.

Cheers

Edited by pinguin - 20-Nov-2008 at 00:24
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 01:03
Just to throw the perspective on the situation. Until the rise of ethnic-nationalism in the past 200-300 years, the guys ethnicity didn't matter. Languages of course, made a difference, but religion was the predominate form of identity. So a muslim was a muslim, and if he was born in Iraq it hardly mattered if he was Chaldeian, Assyrian, Persian or Arab.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 09:06
Of course it mattered. It's always mattered otherwise Ferdowsi would never have bothered and we'd all be speaking Arabic.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 09:20

Actually, the parallels are striking. Almoravids were just a dinasty more in Al-Andalus. The origin could be Berber, but the culture was still the same as before theirs invasion. In the case of the Yuan and the Ming dinasties, they also were a foreign rulers of a country whose culture they didn't change but rather had to addapt.

Let's not get the issues confused. Like the Mongols the Berbers placed themselves on top of a more advanced civilization and were assimilated, certainly, but this part of our argument stems from my claim that Al-Andalus was largely a Berber project, and I've already made it clear that by project I meant organisation at the top political level. With this in mind, calling Al-Andalus a largely Berber project is reasonable when you consider how the initial conquest was conceived by Berbers and how Al-Andalus was ruled by Berbers for over half the time it existed.

When I said the analogy was weak it was as a response to your claim that just like no one speaks about a Berber civilization nobody speaks of a Mongol civilization either, when in fact the Mongol Empire is very much a historiographical term while the "Berber Empire" is not.

Lastly, the Ming dynasty was not foreign but on the contrary represented a restoration of Han Chinese rule. But maybe you were thinking of the Qing?

Yeap. As a Hispanic, and even after three centuries of Inquisition, I can tell you in the Spanish speaking world Al-Andalus (Andalucia) is still the core of the identity that our peoples have in common, both in Europe and in the Americas.

Among artists and intellectuals this wouldn't surprise me, but what of strict Catholics or, in Latin America at least, those proud of their limpieza de sangre?

Originally posted by Suren

Crusades had a bad impact on Islamic attitude and somehow slowly changed the love of science and art with war and jihad. Andalus before turning to an unstable warring state between Muslims and Christians, were a good example of glorious Islamic civilization.

I agree, but there is room for nuance. The contrast between an early Andalusian civilization concerned with arts, sciences and butterflies and a later one concerned only with Jihad is a bit too stark. Wink Warfare with the Reconquista movement was a constant feature from the establishment of Asturias in 717 to the fall of Granada in 1492, although as the Christians were increasingly successful and the Moors lost ground, including major educational centres like Seville and Toledo, their intellectual output unsurprisingly declined.

There can be no doubt the crusading movement caused a militarization of the Iberian peninsula, but this was a two-way responsive process and nothing new. Christian holy wars against those who were seen as unbelievers encroaching on Christendom had been going on for centuries by the time it was finally given a clear ideological shape in form of the crusade, the only difference being the theoretical need of an official Papal indulgence. These developments are unlikely to have occurred in the first place had it not been for the  siege mentality fostered by pressure on Christendom, exerted by among others the Arabs/Muslims through among other things the conquest of Iberia.

Originally posted by Zagros

Of course it mattered. It's always mattered otherwise Ferdowsi would never have bothered and we'd all be speaking Arabic.

Upon reading medieval primary sources there can be no doubt that there was a concept of race. A very loose and undefined concept of a race but a concept nonetheless, usually thrown around by writers wishing to create distance to an other.

Edited by Reginmund - 20-Nov-2008 at 09:27
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 10:16
Originally posted by Suren

If you mean Muslim world you may be correct. More than half of the scientists, scholars and achievements of the Muslim worlds came from Andelus, North Africa, Persia and northern India, so it is bias to call it simply Arab world. I guess you are an Egyptian Arab, so I am not surprised. No offense Btw...  

Correct. Also, I would like to add the scholars & scientists of Turkistan(also the realm of today's Afghanistan in addition to Turkistan as a region) that lived under various Turkic-Islamic dynasties of the era to that list.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>