Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Norse tech and the settlement of the Americas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Norse tech and the settlement of the Americas
    Posted: 16-Nov-2008 at 19:14
No Beowulf is set around nine-ten hundred A.D

About heavner someone told me they were doing a whole new set of tests on it

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2008 at 20:03
Originally posted by Boreasi

"Prehistoric journeys across oceans are mere nonsense" (1947)
http://www.kon-tiki.no/Ny/e_aapning.php

"Distant journeys across the Pacific are very speculative."(2007)
http://www.uq.edu.au/news/?article=13018

"Ancient jouneys across the Atlantic are very unscientific." (2008)
http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/catalog/paint.html

Who have actually been missing the scientific concepts here?!

Not hard to guess.   Some people must think very 'differently', if  they dont understand that  ships of some  2000 years ago,  sometimes spending weeks on the sea , sailing to madeira ( some 800 km of the mainland) and taking open sea routes of 1500-2000 km in the Arabian sea, were pretty seaworthy.

Star

Edited by Sander - 16-Nov-2008 at 20:11
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2008 at 22:31
Just show evidence that Phoenician, Greek, Roman, Arab or Indian ships were faster, safer and better build than the norse longship. It is an easy challenge, isn't?

Edited by pinguin - 16-Nov-2008 at 22:32
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2008 at 22:37
It's difficult, actually impossible to say with any certainty when the people of N Europe got christened. Ansgar is usually the one credited with christening Scandinavia, and he lived before the age I mentioned before. I'm sure there was a long period of time where Christianity and Odinism existed in parallel. Some kings were Christians, yet sometimes their sons were not.

Some sources I've read suggests that it was the nobility that first became Christians, while the old beliefs lingered on longer among the commoners.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2008 at 22:41
Yes and Beowulf was a noble

BTW we're getting off topic... again

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2008 at 22:45
Yeap. Are we going to talk about Christianity or the technology that allowed Norse to reach the Americas?

For instance, what was the importance of writing for ancient Norse? Do they have logs of navigation on writing at the times of Eric the Red or Leif Ericsson? That's something I wouldn't mind to know

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2008 at 22:51

I remember something about their Greenland and Iceland sagas.

Edited by Count Belisarius - 16-Nov-2008 at 22:53

Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2008 at 23:07
Unfortunately they didn't like writing, it seems. Almost all written evidence comes from others. The Icelandic Eddas and Sagas were written after the end of the Viking age. The writing on the runestones isn't of much help either, it usually is about some local person going on a raid or something like that. Some of the runestones seems to be written by illiterate people who just knew the runes and a few words. They often have no real meaning.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2008 at 23:33
That's a shame it is, but at least we know who on raids went. Remember I do that often they who died thats something it is  

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 00:08
Originally posted by Jams

Unfortunately they didn't like writing, it seems. Almost all written evidence comes from others. The Icelandic Eddas and Sagas were written after the end of the Viking age. The writing on the runestones isn't of much help either, it usually is about some local person going on a raid or something like that. Some of the runestones seems to be written by illiterate people who just knew the runes and a few words. They often have no real meaning.

That's quite curious. So if Christian monks hadn't teach writing in mass as they usually did, perhaps we had lost norse Sagas forever? And with them, the achievements of Eric the Red and Leif Ericson?

This may sound strange but the spread of writing by Christianity helped many people to fix and preserve theirs past. Take Mexico, for instance, that at the time of Moctezuma had already forgotten the Maya writting skills, and whose glyphs hardly could convey complex ideas so they preserve everything by memorizing. Without the Spanish priest that wrote down theirs history we could have missed hundred of years of pre-colombian Mexican history. In Peru something similar happened with the Incas, whose pre-colombian history was also recorded by the Spanish priests. And in Chile we could have missed the Inca invasion that happened a century before the Spanish arrived, without the help of those chronicle writers who wrote it for us.

Other cases are the Sundiata of Mali, a classic of the times of Tombuctu, put in writing only in the 60s, and that gave origin to the japanese series "Kimba, the white lion" and Disney's "Lion king". Or the case of the discoverer of Easter Island, Otu Matua, whose epic trip of the 7th century was recorded by christian priests as well in recent times. And finally, wasn't the Illiad and the Odysey, put on writing centuries after Homer compossed them?

Sorry for the disgregation, but I got fascinated by the topic LOL

Edited by pinguin - 17-Nov-2008 at 00:15
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 06:05
Originally posted by pinguin

Just show evidence that Phoenician, Greek, Roman, Arab or Indian ships were faster, safer and better build than the norse longship. It is an easy challenge, isn't?

Just show evidence you can read not so difficult lines, if you respond to my posting (meant for somebody else)  Hard challenge ? Wink

Edited by Sander - 17-Nov-2008 at 06:14
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 08:33

When the Scandinavians adopted Christianity has been much debated and still is. There is no simple consensus, except that it was a most gradual process, even if a few dates and key events can be mentioned. It's a very broad subject, so I'll just give a summary. It's good to be aware of it when discussing anything about Viking Age Scandinavia.

The Danes were probably the first to adopt it, which can be said to have been done officially in the 960s. On the Jelling stone, raised around 965, Harald Bluetooth claimed to have Christened the Danes.

Christianity got hold in Norway to a large extent because of Olaf Tryggvason, known to have built the first church in Norway in the year 995 - just one year after he had himself converted. Olaf the Holy continued the Christening of Norway, in a most ruthless of ways. Those who did not obey and converted, he punished with mutilation and death. In remote areas the process was slow.

The Icelanders adopted Christianty by decision at the Thing in the year 1000.

In Jamtland, which at the time was an indepedent country ruled by assembly alone in the same manner as Iceland, Christianity was according to the Frösö stone adoped in the 1050s, probably by decision at the thing.

The people of Gotland was a seafaring and trading folk, and they brought priests home early on. Christian motives started appearing on stones in the 8th century already. However, also here it was a gradual process.

Sweden is the most troublesome area. Ansgar is often mentioned, but fact is he didn't do much more except getting himself killed. It's not even known if he ever entered Sweden or just the island of Gotland. Christian crosses started appearing on runestone only in the 11th century, and in the mid 1060s Adam of Bremen complains about the heathen Swedes and he had little good to say. The first Christian king who stayed Christian was Olof Skötkonung, baptized around the year 1008. Following him was a number of Christian and heathen kings - the last heathen was Sven the Sacrificer, who died in 1087. The people itself took a long time to adopt the new religion. Old rites and holidays were fused with Christian ones, but there is indications that still in the 14th century old heathen rituals were conducted.

--
Though I know it's somewhat off topic, I want to clear up a few things. I hope pinguin doesn't mind :)

Beowulf was written down in the 9-11th centuries, but the lives of the persons the story is about and the story itself took place around the 6th century BC. For anyone who thinks I'm not trustworthy, this is the easiest thing in the world to check up.

--
I'll adress some other things later, have no time now though.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 17-Nov-2008 at 17:07
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 11:22
Originally posted by Sander

Just show evidence you can read not so difficult lines, if you respond to my posting (meant for somebody else)  Hard challenge ? Wink

Precisely, because I can read between the lines it is why I am asking you for evidence Wink
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 15:21

Originally posted by Sander

Precisely, because I can read between the lines it is why I am asking you for evidence Wink

So you're distorting again  but now call  it reading between the lines ...
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 22:40
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Originally posted by Count Belisarius

According to Jams during the time the story is set they were christian, now could we get back on topic,

Not at all. The story is set in the 6th century, Christianity arrived several centuries later.

BTW what is the latest on the heavner rune stone? 

Still considered a fraud, as far as I know.

Since being subjected to new testing that's no longer the consensus.  I'm trying to find the article I read about 4 months back.  The patina was tested and showed no signs of tampering,  the dating process had just started.  Afaik, there never was any concrete reason to call it a fraud, except for the prevailing [and oh so scientificConfused] view that the vikings never got that far so it had to be a fraud.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 22:43

Then it should be just as easy to show evidence that they weren't.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 23:18
Originally posted by red clay

Since being subjected to new testing that's no longer the consensus.  I'm trying to find the article I read about 4 months back.  The patina was tested and showed no signs of tampering,  the dating process had just started.  Afaik, there never was any concrete reason to call it a fraud, except for the prevailing [and oh so scientificConfused] view that the vikings never got that far so it had to be a fraud.

Odd I just read about that stone. Apparently several other similar stones were destroyed by "treasure hunters" (What would they gain from doing that?)
It is unusual in the way it is written, straight horisontal. Not the most common way runes were written on stones, compared to other runestones. Maybe they aren't Scandinavian runes, but something else?
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 23:29

No Beowulf is set around nine-ten hundred A.D

About heavner someone told me they were doing a whole new set of tests on it
Beowulf is set between the fifth and seventh centuries.1 The Anglo-Saxons at this point were nominally Christian at best. The Christian elements as have been pointed out earlier are later additions to the text. Whether they were put in before it was committed to writing or after is a different story.

In regards to the Heavener runestone, it is a fake just like the Kensington Runestone.

1.Wiki Beowulf Entry. Spark Notes: Beowulf: Context.

Edited by King John - 17-Nov-2008 at 23:31
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 01:31

The Norse were not sound economically, heck they didn't leave much civilization behind! Look, it may sound cliche but the Norse legacy has been written based on the blood of their enemies and the loot they carried off with them. They did conquery far and wide but as you can see they didn't incorporate much of the achievements found in other cultures more superior to their's.

Their navigation skills, however, were unrivaled. No one came close to them. I don't think people understand how hard it is to traverse the Atlantic and navigate safely through there. Yes the Polynesians basically lived in the waters, but they were the calm waters of the souther Pacific. The Vikings navigational and shipbuilding skills is what truly gave them their power. Also militarily they weren't technologically advanced but were great fighters nonetheless.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 01:45
Originally posted by andrew

Militarily they weren't technologically advanced but were great fighters nonetheless.

I beg to differ their swords were superior to samurai blades, theri axes were very finely balanced durable, and they used the trebuchet, and they had martial arts.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>