Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Impact on western civilization

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which battle had a bigger impact on W. civ culturally
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [17.65%]
9 [52.94%]
5 [29.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Impact on western civilization
    Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 13:31
I took a western civ class and read an entire book about the Battle of Hastings 1066 but there was no mention about the Battle of Manzikert 1071, in the class. I tend to think the latter had a greater impact on the west than the former.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 13:52
I would agree with that.  Its also more intresting as a battle for tactical reasons
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 13:55
I also agree that the battle of Manzikert had a far greater historical implications, but on Western civilisation?
You should define that a bit clearer!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 14:12

If it's strictly the effect on WESTERN civilisation, I think Tours outweighs the others. Manzikert was more important than Hastings, but I'm not sure Byzantium counts as Western.

But I'd like to see a few more candidates: Lepanto, Sobieski raising the siege of Vienna, Waterloo, and how about the Battle of Britain (or doesn't that count as a battle?)

Quebec and Yorktown?

Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 14:40
I voted Hastings.  That battle caused the British Isles to have a Continental lean as opposed to a Scandanavian one.  This would also inextricably link them with France, and thus, again, the Continent.  Mazinkert, well, the West was getting antsy about the newly arrived Turks harrassing Pilgrims, and the Pope wanted Christians to stop killing each other, so the Crusades may have happened anyway.  Tours, historians agree, was nothing more than a raiding party; one which was most likely played up to bring legitimacy to the Carolingian Dnasty, which was trying to take over from the Merovingians.  The Byzantines turning back the Arabs at Constantinople was probably more significant.
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 15:25
yes Tours has barely any significance and is vastly overblown in importnace by historians.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 20:03
manzikert
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
 Post Reply Post Reply