Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Byzantine refugees after fourteen fifty three?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Byzantine refugees after fourteen fifty three?
    Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 17:12
I havn't been able to find anything on the refugees that fled constantinople after fourteen fifty three, Can anyone direct me to some informaiton regarding that? or tell me anything? and what about the seven thousand byzantine soldiers who fled? what happened to them?

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 17:29
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

I havn't been able to find anything on the refugees that fled constantinople after fourteen fifty three, Can anyone direct me to some informaiton regarding that? or tell me anything? and what about the seven thousand byzantine soldiers who fled? what happened to them?

I am not so sure that there were that many soldiers in Constantinople during the siege of 1453.  There was a small amount of Greek soldiers (a few hundred perhaps) and the rest were reinforcements from Genoa, ordinary citizens, and monks.  Most of the scholars and notables had evacuated the city previously and gone to the Morea or Italy.

You should definitely check out the following works:

Harris, Jonathan. Greek Emigres in the West 1400-1520. Camberley: Porphyrogenitus, 1995.

Bartusis, Mark C. The Late Byzantine Army: Arms and Society, 1204-1453. Middle Ages series. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1992.

Carroll, Margaret G. "The Army in Constantinople at the Accession of Constantine XI," Byzantion 40 (1970): 385-392.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 11-Oct-2008 at 17:38
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 17:43
Thank you

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 18:59
This is a good article for introduction.
http://www.the-orb.net/encyclop/late/laterbyz/harris-ren.html

"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 19:18
Personally in this field I'd like to do a little research on the extent to which Byzantium preserved Roman cuisine (notably fish sauce) after the fall of the Western Empire, and re-exported it back through refugee cooks after the fall of Byzantium.

I'm not sure how valid that might be, or what might turn up, but I'd probably enjoy it.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 19:59
So what happened to the byzantine soldiers? did they settle down, buy a farm, raise a family? or form their own band of wondering mercenaries?

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 20:03

So what happened to the byzantine soldiers? did they settle down, buy a farm, raise a family? or form their own band of wondering mercenaries?

I believe you requested readings on the topic.  Are you going to consult the ones that Patrinos and I have referenced?  Perhaps we can discuss this more accurately once you have read something on the topic.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 20:13
Well the problem is none of my libraries have those books and I don't have money to buy them

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 20:14

Well the problem is none of my libraries have those books and I don't have money to buy them

Do your libraries have interlibrary loan?
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 20:23

They do but none of them have the books I'm looking for  

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 23:06

Well,I know that many of the soldiers who fought in the army of Palaiologos and other local Byzantine archontes,mainly after 1453 consisted the mercenaries groups of stradioti(soldier in Greek) (http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Stradioti.html ).
There also existed the institution of pronoia(πρόνοια) when Emperors and Despots gave to veterans big pieces of land mainly in Peloponnesus and till today we have many toponyms in my area that derive from surnames of famous byzantine generals,soldiers and military and social
 titles like Doukas,Spathari(os),Pikerni(s),Maniakes,Asanis,Kavasilas etc

Edited by Patrinos - 11-Oct-2008 at 23:07
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 06:58
Originally posted by Patrinos

Well,I know that many of the soldiers who fought in the army of Palaiologos and other local Byzantine archontes,mainly after 1453 consisted the mercenaries groups of stradioti(soldier in Greek) (http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Stradioti.html ).
There also existed the institution of pronoia(πρόνοια) when Emperors and Despots gave to veterans big pieces of land mainly in Peloponnesus and till today we have many toponyms in my area that derive from surnames of famous byzantine generals,soldiers and military and social
 titles like Doukas,Spathari(os),Pikerni(s),Maniakes,Asanis,Kavasilas etc

Thanks for mentioning the institution of pronoia, Patrinos.  I will add that grants of pronoia (or similarly oikonomia) were revocable grants of the right to collect the tax revenues from certain pieces of land or buildings which the emperor already owned in return for military or administrative service.  Rarely was the land itself granted outright.

Count Belisarius, here is a link to the chapter on pronoia from Bartusis' book.  I think it has a limited preview so I am not sure how much you can read:

Also, you might enjoy reading the discussion on pronoia in some of the Byzantine military threads at AE:

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 17:12
Thanks

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2009 at 11:47
Indeed! It would not be out of the ordinary to seperate soldiers from those persons who actually ran Constantinople, IE, those of royal blood, and the others who were considered as "associates" by blood and faith!

Most of the real soldiers were merely Mercs!

Therefore, it could also be expected that some of these "special people" (the monied), also made a "bee-line" to the coast of France and even England!

Just think of the Merovingians? chuckle!

Edited by opuslola - 23-Nov-2009 at 17:13
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2009 at 15:50
3000 soldiers stayed behind to defend Constantinople, 7000 left, I'm assuming to other parts of the Byzantine Empire which were still under Byzantine control.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2009 at 17:16
Can you spell a seven letter word beginning with "s" and ending with "y?"

Remember, I wrote that only the "top shelf" of the city actually could afford to escape, or pay off, or run like hell!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2009 at 17:26
Sure I can, slavery.

I was answering the question regarding the 7000 Byzantine soldiers that fled. Most refugee's probably ended up in the Italian peninsula or Venetian held territories in the Easter Mediterranean.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 23-Nov-2009 at 17:28
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2009 at 16:19
Dear Simba,

I meant that it is quite likely that the 7000 did not really escape! They were well within the net of the Ottomans, and it is really likely that they were caught, and executed, or re-educated and placed into service of the Ottoman army?

At least that is what I think!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2009 at 18:27
That is possible, but from what I understand, they were able to escape, I could be wrong. I may not have enough knowledge. One thing that is certain is that a lot of people did escape Constantinople before it fell to the Ottomans.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2009 at 07:09
Actually, I apologize, you are quite likely correct! It seems the historian F. Gregorovius, wrote in his "History of Athens in the Middle Ages", that "..., they began to emigrate in masse and settle in foreign countries. The west welcomed them warmly: their soldiers and officers served in the European armies...their clerical and intellectual aristocracy found shelter in many capitals and universities of Italy, having brought Greek literature to these parts once again.." Reportedly found on page 360 of the above book.

One must remember that the influx of these people began before the actual fall of the city/state to the Ottomans, years before it seems, since many of the residents and soldiers, literally saw "the handwriting on the wall!" Others it seems had already assimilated themselves within the all inclusive Ottoman Empire.

Thus, it seems, many managed to escape with some of their fortunes intact, whilst other had to flee with their "hats in their hands!" But, within the family of Royals and traders, many already had cousins who gave them support and provided them refuge.

Edited by opuslola - 25-Nov-2009 at 07:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>