Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Chinese battle formations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Chinese battle formations
    Posted: 14-Sep-2008 at 12:10
Despite the  famous book "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu, very little information about the battle formation and tactics of Ancient China has survived today compared to that of Greece and Rome.

Being as advanced a civilization, I'm sure that the armies from the Warring states to the Qing and Hang period must have fought in a certain formation comparable to the Greek phalanx or the Roman legion. However, very little could be found about it on the internet or in any books.

The general impression we get about Chinese armies over this period is that they relied heavily on cross-bows and on torsion artillery. They invented long-range weapons that could shoot bolts capable of penetrating armour. Distinct to the Greeks and the Romans whose battles were decided mostly by a hand-to-hand clash of heavy infantry; the Chinese armies of the Qing and Hang were reputed to have fought mostly over long distance firing bolts at the enemy.
I saw a documentary of National Geographic regarding a type of "self-loading" crossbow that could fire pretty much one arrow after the next.

I don't know whether these assumptions are true, but it is certain that the Chinese armies of these period cared little about the quality and pay of the soldiers. It makes sense to think that the skill, stamina, and motivation involved in firing a self-loading crossbow is far less than that required in hand-to-hand fighting with sword and shield.
Unlike the Romans or the Persians, the Contemporary Chinese did not seem to have a regular professional army, but instead relied on the mass-drafting of pesants.

The general impression is that by the Tang period, the Chinese did build a standing professional army,  but recruited heavily from Turkic peoples who employed horseback tactics identical to that of the nomads.

Is there anywhere to find more information?

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2008 at 12:24
Doesn't the "Terracotta Army" provide some answers, even generic ones, as tot he formation of the Chinese imperial armies of the 2nd-3rd centuries BC?

8,000 soldiers, 130 chariots with 520 horses and 150 cavalry horses. I believe they used a combination of weapons and hand to hand fighting was also involved.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Mercury_Dawn View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Mercury_Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2008 at 19:08
I would look at the Appendix to the Ames translation of Sun Tzu, art of Warfare, I think I remember him translating tactical text attributed to Sun Tzu. Also, check out 'The Seven Military Classics of China, especially the Sex Secret Teachings'.

Basically, it's the Byzantine army on crack. They had most everything the west had, the only thing holding them back was the inability, or unwillingness, to comprehend the movements and motivations of the steppe people as well as the tradition of warlordism which repeatedly lead to non conclusive civil wars that lasted decades to centuries. Once you've read the 7 military classics, as well as a really hand book called the 100 Unorthodox Strategies (based off the 7 military classics), I recommend looking through Deng Xiaoping's early writings while he was working for the Red army (1st book of his online collected works) in regard to the the seven military classics...... you'll find that the majority of Chinese generals well into the 20th century relied more on Chinese Classics than Clausewitz, Hart, or Jomini, cause the questions he was responding to were literally ripped from the Hundred Unorthodox Strategies!

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2008 at 20:53
Originally posted by Mercury_Dawn

I would look at the Appendix to the Ames translation of Sun Tzu, art of Warfare, I think I remember him translating tactical text attributed to Sun Tzu. Also, check out 'The Seven Military Classics of China, especially the Sex Secret Teachings'.

Basically, it's the Byzantine army on crack. They had most everything the west had, the only thing holding them back was the inability, or unwillingness, to comprehend the movements and motivations of the steppe people as well as the tradition of warlordism which repeatedly lead to non conclusive civil wars that lasted decades to centuries. Once you've read the 7 military classics, as well as a really hand book called the 100 Unorthodox Strategies (based off the 7 military classics), I recommend looking through Deng Xiaoping's early writings while he was working for the Red army (1st book of his online collected works) in regard to the the seven military classics...... you'll find that the majority of Chinese generals well into the 20th century relied more on Chinese Classics than Clausewitz, Hart, or Jomini, cause the questions he was responding to were literally ripped from the Hundred Unorthodox Strategies!

Has anyone translated the "Seven Military Classics" to any foreign language?

Have any ancient Chinese battles (referring to the warring states, Qing, and Han) actually been documented?
For example, the Roman, Greek, and Macedonian tactics have all been rather thoroughly documented by contemporary authors, as well as the live description of battles as to how the troops fought in the formation.

The "Terracota Army" was displayed in combat formation, but only in a static state. While confronting an enemy, which unit would be send forward first? and which would be in reserve? How did fresh troops relieve tired comrades at the front line?

Unlike the contemporary Romans, soldiering did not seem to be a prestigious career, and the army apparently bothered more about the quantity than the quality of the recruits. Of course, this is just the general impression, which could be wrong.
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2008 at 01:28

From my studies of Chinese military, most of the formations seemed overly complex (especially for the peasant levi armies which made up most of the Chinese military) and eventually more or less ineffective once the metal met the flesh. They employed alot of spearmen and missiles but proved to be effective only when fighting each other or the nomads.

One thing I did find interesting is that there were two armies. There was an internal army which was mostly infantry and sat around the empire, and a 2nd army called the boarder army which was made up mostly of cavalry and rode around fighting nomads on the boarder. The interesting thing is when the boarder army started losing ground to the nomads, when the Mongols and before the "Huns" *assumed* attacked the inner army folded very quickly.

Though I really enjoy Chinese military history but I have noticed an overly exagirated Sino-centrism in both national Chinese and simply people who like myself also like the country's history. Anyway this Sino-Centrism tends to always assume and sometimes fabricate a much more effective chinese military then reality. Chinese writings on tactics seem very very flowery and mostly unrealistic, though artistically written were as say Roman writings on tactics though shorter are more blunt, to the point and realistic.
Knight
Knight

Quote Mercury_Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2008 at 05:06
The Seven Military Classics are both Tactical and Strategic works, read them, they have been translated into English under said title, as all the rest of the books I told you to look into. Each writer and period in history followed it's own doctrine, so the tactics are going to vary. I also recommend you look into the Chinese court histories, they are massive, and long (Make Les Miserables light reading in comparison). Also read the 'romance of the three kingdoms', not as long, and a informative read.

I was dead serious about starting off with Professor Ames translation of Sun Tzu. He translated texts dealing with battle tactics and put them in a appendix. It's where I started my studies, and then I moved on to the translations of the seven military classics and the hundred unorthodox strategies.... those books are the core essential- don't dodge or avoid them, they are the cream of the crop, and the mainstay of both Chinese thought, as well as what you request- tactics, for all, and I do mean ALL, variants of Chinese doctrine are heavily based on these works, and cannot justifiably be understood (or at least not easily) by means of Clausewitz or whoever from the west without the understanding of terminology and the total logical structure.

Though physics, war, and politics  operate off a  universal  set of laws,  the Chinese developed  independently of us and all though came to most all the same conclusions as we did, having arms, fingers, and toes just like we do, and the same biological needs, and similar terrain - they had a different historical development of identifying the concepts and applying a logical framework to them.... so many things are lost in the translation if you don't know these things.... which of you read those books, will not be hard to identify.

For example, in the west, Swords evolved from knives, there is some evidence in asia, swords evolved from arrows. Parallel needs, different origins, and as a result, perhaps different baggage via associations. Remember this as you study Chinese tactics, just because they have something that looks like ours tech, tactics, doctrine, or strategy wise, doesn't mean they held it in the same light, or even in use- a hammer is not always a hammer, but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.... meanwhile, concepts that are seemingly distant and alien have direct and immediate mirrors in our own world, but even then, it doesn't always equate. A good example would be the idea behind the Chinese military concept behind guest and host. It took me a bit of time to coorelate it to Internal/ Exterial lines, but as I said before... it's not just that, cause it doesn't exactly equate.

Read those nine books, come back for more if you need it.

You may also want to do a google search for Lancaster's Calculus, I'm sure some videogamers or history nuts made a chinese variant  for a particular era or writer so you can figure out what the tactical synthesis for it is and from it the expected chronologies of a generic battle would be.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2008 at 13:54
What's this 'Lancaster's Calculus'??? Google came up with 'looking for calculus teachers'. 
Knight
Knight

Quote Mercury_Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2008 at 02:04
Lancaster's calculus? Uh, scary... keep forgetting I learned everything backwards... It's public domain, I'll see if anyone put it on the net yet, it was written back in 1917. Basically, it's the DNA of a military... makes calculating the tactical synthesis possible on paper, any armchair historian should make his own mod. I read it in a university with a ROTC in it, as well as a few variants.... at the time, I didn't know calculus, and had to reverse learn it knowing the basic values and how the armies interacted in the real world.

Knight
Knight

Quote Mercury_Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2008 at 02:30
Ha, I keep calling it Lancaster after Lancaster PA, it's Lanchester- my soory to the WW1 and 2 guys on the forums. Basically, you'll see varients around, I saw them in the library, in used bookstores, etc. Each person has thier own spin on it, and I'm certain the TotalWar vedeogamer developers must know it, and the legions of mods.... I can't do that stuff though, to over my head.
http://www.math.uiowa.edu/~stroyan/CTLC3rdEd/ProjectsOldCD/estroyan/cd/34/index.htm
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=OrQxtqgGIU0C&dq=war+calculas&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=NRW_ik8soQ&sig=8Pplxj0Qs1MtgbetBNEpkrDbx0c&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result#PPP1,M1

IDonT View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote IDonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2009 at 15:04
Warring States Battle Formations
http://chinesearmour.multiply.com/notes

The Square 方阵 - made up of several rows of Qu, with the HQ in the middle of the rear row. Not necessarily a true square, can be rectangular. A favourite tactic was to place stronger Qu on the flanks, and then lure the enemy to attack the centre and be outflanked.

The Circle 圆阵 - a Qu reformed into a ring, with the HQ protected within it. A highly defensive formation.

Dispersed Formation 疏阵 - increasing the distance between individual Qu in a square, so as to mislead the enemy or divide his forces.

Close Formation 数阵 - decreasing the distance between individual Qu in a square, for strength in close-quarter fighting.

The Awl 锥(zhui)行之阵 - A wedge (triangle with one point facing forward), a highly offensive formation. Also known in later history as the Male Formation 牝(pin)阵 (you'll see why later).

The Wild-Goose-Flight Formation 雁(yan)行之阵 - A V-formation with two wings for enveloping the enemy and the HQ in the middle. Or an inverted-V for a defensive formation that can quickly be converted to offensive wedge. The V-formation can also be modified into a flattened U known as the Basket Formation 箕(ji)形阵 or Female Formation 牡(mu)阵, for luring enemy wedges into the centre and then enveloping them.

The Hook Formation 钩行之阵 - A line abreast with the two ends sloping inwards to avoid being flanked. Probably most suitable for archers or crossbowmen

Upper Left: 矩形阵 Jŭ Xíng Zhèn (Carpenter's Square's Formation)
性质 Xìng Zhì (Characteristics/Nature) - 攻击性军阵 Gōng Jī Xìng Jūn Zhèn (Offensive Military Formation)
特色 Tè Sè (Distinguishing Features) - 中间兵力少, 可以虚张声势; 四周兵力强, 容易击破敌人 zhōng jiān bīng lì shăo, kě yĭ xū zhāng shēng shì; sì zhōu bīng lì qiáng, róng yì jī pò dí rén (Allows the centre to have fewer troops whose purpose was to create illusion of strength; the perimeter must be strong in order to break through the enemy.)

Upper Middle: 钩形阵 Gōu Xíng Zhèn (Hook Formation)
性质 Xìng Zhì (Characteristics/Nature) - 攻击性军阵 Gōng Jī Xìng Jūn Zhèn (Offensive Military Formation)
特色 Tè Sè (Distinguishing Features) - 正面是矩形阵, 两翼向后成钩形, 以保障翼侧的安全 zhèng miàn shì Jŭ Xíng Zhèn, liăng yì xiàng hòu chéng Gōu Xíng, yĭ băo zhàng yì cè de ān quán (The front is the same as Carpenter's Square's Formation, the sides reverse to form a hook to protect the safety of the flanks).

Upper Right: 锥形阵 Zhuī Xíng Zhèn (Awl Formation)
特色 Tè Sè (Distinguishing Features) - 前锋尖锐, 可以刺入敌阵, 割裂敌军; 两翼和后卫雄厚, 可以包围灭歼灭敌人 qián fēng jiān ruì, kě yĭ cì rù dí zhèn, gē liè dí jūn; liăng yì hé hòu wèi xióng hòu, kě yĭ bāo wéi jiān miè dí rén (The front is pointed and sharp to penetrate enemy formation and divide their forces; the flanks and rear are strong and solid, able to surround and destroy the enemy).

Lower Left: 雁形阵 Yàn Xíng Zhèn (Wild Goose Formation)
性质 Xìng Zhì (Characteristics/Nature) - 攻防兼备的军阵 Gōng Fáng Jiān Bèi De Jūn Zhèn (Combining Offensive and Defensive Military Formation, arrow shows the direction of defence)
特色 Tè Sè (Distinguishing Features) - 横向层开, 左, 右翼向前列成梯状包围敌人, 后卫再进行后续冲杀. héng xiàng céng kāi, zuŏ, yòu yì xiàng liè chéng tī zhuàng bāo wéi dí rén, hòu wèi zài jìn xíng hòu xù chōng shā. (Open in the middle and have both flanks advance to envelope the enemy, proceeded by the rear to launch the devastating strike.)

Lower Middle: 箕形阵 Jī Xíng Zhèn (Winnow Basket Formation)
性质 Xìng Zhì (Characteristics/Nature) - 攻防兼备的军阵 Gōng Fáng Jiān Bèi De Jūn Zhèn (Combining Offensive and Defensive Military Formation)
特色 Tè Sè (Distinguishing Features) - 是雁形阵的变形 shì Yàn Xíng Zhèn de biàn xíng. (A transformation of the Wild Goose Formation).

Lower Right: 圆阵 Yuán Zhèn (Round Formation)
性质 Xìng Zhì (Characteristics/Nature) - 防御性军阵 Fáng Yù Xìng Jūn Zhèn (Defensive Military Formation)
特色 Tè Sè (Distinguishing Features) - 把军力以环状平均分布, 适合在平坦地形进行防御 bă jūn lì yĭ huán zhuàng píng jūn fēn bù, shì hé zài tăn dì xíng jìn xíng fáng yù. (Distribute the forces evenly in a circle, suitable for defence on level grounds.
IDonT View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote IDonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2009 at 15:05
IDonT View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote IDonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2009 at 15:06
This article was extracted from Page 22 of "The Terracotta Army of Emperor Qin Shi Huang", published by China Travel and Tourism Press, 1996. It gives an overview of the force structure of the Qin army ( 221-206 BC)

BATTLE FORMATIONS: ARRAYS OF CHARIOTS, CAVALRY AND INFANTRY

It was already known to ancient Chinese strategists that an army could fight with combat effectiveness only when they were in a certain formation or battle array. According to "Liu Tao" or "Six Treatises on Strategy", if the troops were to fight individually, "a lone mounted soldier would be no match for one footman"; well-arrayed in battle, however, "one mounted soldier would be a match for eight footmen." The same idea has been fully shared by Friedrich Engels when he stressed the grew importance of combat formation for cavalry.

An armed force is not a martial arts troupe, it must rank battle formation above individual skills in importance. Ancient troops, therefore, were maintained in certain patterns of formation whether they were engaged in field operations, in the siege of a city or in pursuit of an enemy. "Individually," says Sun Zi in his Art of War, "the courageous should not advance, nor the timid retreat." Anyone who dared to break ranks would be punished by military law.

King Wu (c. 11th century B.C.), founder of the Zhou Dynasty, on his famous expedition against the tyrannical last king of Yin, issued an order that each soldier in combat, after charging the enemy and advancing a few steps, must look around to adjust his position so that the battle formation be kept throughout the engagement.

Examples abound in history, in which strict battle arrays or the lack of them, decided the outcome of an engagement. At the Battle of Yanling (575 B.C.), the army of Chu was defeated because it "was not in orderly array." At a battle fought on the River Bi, when the Jin army was doomed to a debacle, one of its legions maintained its formation and was able to retreat in good order, while the others suffered total destruction because they broke ranks.

Great soldiers in ancient times, therefore, are known to have attached great importance to the disposition of the troops in definite arrays. Yet, owing to the paucity of concrete descriptions in extant ancient literature, the composition of these battle arrays had remained a total riddle until the discovery of the Qin figures.

Qin Shi Huang's terracotta army has presented the ancient battle formations in a way not only true-to-life; they are also almost "as large as life." The riddle of how ancient armies were arrayed in battle has been solved.

1) BATTLE ARRAY IN VAULT 1

There are about 6,000 terracotta warriors and horses is Vault 1. At the time of writing, however, only some thousand warriors, eight war chariots and thirty-two horses have been excavated. The following is the way they are arrayed.

The chariots are arranged in mixed compositions with the foot soldiers, composing a rectangular formation facing east. It consists of four parts: the van, the rearguard, the main body and the flanks.

The vanguard is formed by three ranks of warriors, all facing east; with 68 men in each rank. It has a total strength of 204.

Immediately behind the van is the main body of the formation, a massive array extending about 184 metres with war chariots interposed with infantrymen in close order.

On either side of the main body is a single rank of men extending also for 184 metres. They stand facing out (to the north and south) and are the side guard of the formation.

At the end of the main column to the west are another three ranks of soldiers, of whom two rows stand facing east while the third row faces west to guard against attacks from the rear.

The above goes to show how compactly the array of the pottery army is organized.

An important principle followed in ancient times in lining up a battle array was that each formation must have a crack force as the van and a powerful force to bring up the rear. Without a dauntless vanguard, the army would be like a sword with no edge; without a forceful rearguard, it would be like a sword with no hilt. Only "with a sharp van and a protective rear," says Sun Bin (4th to 3rd century B.C.) in his Art of War, can an armed force "hold its own and repulse the enemy." The battle formation of the terracotta Qin army conforms with this principle.

The pottery warriors in the van of Vault 1 are light-dressed without armour or helmet. They have their hair tied up in buns and legs protected in leggings, and use bows or crossbows as their weapons. They can only be the fleet-footed warriors who could "scale great heights and march long distances."

Behind the van is a column of 38 files composed of chariots and foot soldiers. All the warriors, being the heavy-dressed ones, wear armour and shin guards and hold a variety of longshaft and shooting weapons. They are outfitted for protracted hand-to-hand encounters with the enemy.

The battle formation in Vault 1 clearly places the light and vigorous force in front, followed by the heavy and powerful, to integrate assaulting impact with enduring strength. This created a mighty fighting force with which to shatter enemy positions and wipe out a strong foe.

The war chariots at the eastern end of Vault 1 are positioned in pairs, each pair a fighting unit. One of the pair is the leader, the other the supporting chariot. In defence the two would cover each other in attacks from all sides; in assault they would mount a pincer movement. The two were inseparable; separated, both would be doomed to failure.

As for coordination between chariots and men, each chariot is manned by three armoured soldiers, namely one chariot driver and two warriors, and is covered by infantrymen on all sides. Twelve men precede it in three rows of four, forming a squad to fight the enemy in front. Flanking it, soldiers varying in number between 52 and 60, also in ranks of four, form two small phalanxes to march alongside the chariot, each responsible for dealing with the enemy from one side. Then a fourth group of between seventy-two and over a hundred men bring up the rear of each chariot.

This system of grouping four bodies of foot soldiers round a chariot, called the "five-element formation" in its time, was meant to ensure close coordination between the two arms and to provide greater infantry cover to the chariots. It also allowed ample room for the employment of flexible tactics. When the chariots were handicapped in movements in defensive operations or on rugged terrain, greater reliance was placed on the infantry. On flat terrain the chariots were placed ahead of the foot soldiers and employed as the main combat force assisted by the infantrymen. This tactic is summarised succinctly by an ancient writer in these words: "Chariots precede the foot, with the latter filling up the gaps, ... Dispatch chariots to meet the enemy; follow up with the soldiers to meet the changing situation." (Research in a Mountain Cottage: Chariot Warfare.) It appears clear, therefore, that the relative positioning of the chariots and foot soldiers changed with varying topography and combat situation.

2) BATTLE ARRAY IN VAULT 2

The general layout of the soldiers in Vault 2, as explained before, is like a thick letter L, and consists of four small phalanxes.

Click here for a pic of the layout:

Phalanx 1 -- 174 non-armoured archers and 160 armoured archers/crossbowmen, totalling 334 men
Phalanx 2 -- 64 chariots (manned by 3 men each or 192 men)
Phalanx 3 -- 19 chariots (manned by 3 men each or 57 men) and 264 infantry, plus 8 cavalry -- 14 chariots with 8
infantry each, 3 chariots with 32 infantry each, 2 chariots with 28 infantry each plus 4 cavalry each
Phalanx 4 -- 6 chariots (manned by 2 men each) and 108 cavalry -- 6 chariots escorted by 4 cavalry each,
with main body of 84 cavalry following behind

Phalanx 1, situated at the top of the L, forms the front corner of the whole formation. It is composed of two parts: the borders and the core. Standing all along the four sides are 174 figures of bowmen, lightly clad without armour. They surround the core of the formation, which is a group of 160 archers arrayed in eight files of 20 men each. All covered by armour, they are the heavy-dressed type and hold bows and crossbows as their weapons.

Why is it that the figures on the four sides are standing while those in the middle are squatting? Two rules were to be observed in ancient times by troops using shooting weapons. First, no fellow soldiers must stand in front of those shooting so that nobody of the same side got hurt; second, archers of the same unit must take turns at shooting to keep arrows flying at the enemy and give him no reprieve. The two groups of archer figures in this phalanx are supposed to alternate between the postures of standing and squatting, depending on whether or not it is their turn to shoot. That is to say, the archers on the sides shoot first at the enemy and then squat down; they are followed by those in the middle, who stand up to start shooting. The two groups take turns at shooting so that continuous flights of arrows keep the enemy at bay.

Phalanx 2, to the right of the base of the L-formation is a chariot array composed of eight lines of eight chariots each, sixty-four in all. Each chariot, drawn by a team of four horses, carries three armoured figures - a driver and two warriors. There are no foot soldiers attached to it on any side, a type of troop deployment different from the practice prevalent in the Yin and Zhou dynasties (c. 16th to 11th century B.C.) or the Spring and Autumn Period (770-476 B.C.) when chariots were without exception supported by infantry. This new discovery has revealed something we did not know before. The change must have followed the development of foot soldiers during the Warring States Period (475-221 B.C.) into an independent infantry arm. Battles were now fought by coordinated action between units of horse, foot and chariot, and it was presumably no longer necessary for each individual chariot to have foot soldiers assigned to it.

Phalanx 3, the middle of the L-formation, consists of three files of chariots reinforced with horse and foot. There are six chariots each in two of the files, and seven in the middle file, totaling nineteen. Each carries three occupants, namely one driver and two fighters as usual. At the very end of the left file a chariot with the figure of a general is the command chariot, which is followed by a group of infantry. Of the other chariots, those in front are followed by eight infantrymen each and those toward the back are supported from behind by a group of 28 or 32 foot soldiers. The rear of the phalanx includes two groups of cavalrymen, with four horses to each group, plus 32 infantrymen arranged in eight ranks of four men each. It forms an oblong echelon behind the last war chariot.

The presence of mounted soldiers in the composition of ancient battle arrays is also a new element that has just come to light. The cavalry was quick and mobile and could be used as a reserve strike force giving greater flexibility to the chariot formation.

Phalanx 4, an array mainly of mounted soldiers, occupies the corner of the letter L. A long rectangle of three columns consisting of six chariots and 108 horses and men, it may be divided into two parts: the van and the body. Forming the van or the phalanx head are the six chariots, two in each column, one behind the other but separated by a row of mounted soldiers between each two chariots. Each has two riders: a driver and a warrior. Cavalrymen sandwiched between the chariots are in rows of four, making a total of twelve mounted men. The body of the phalanx is composed of 108 cavalrymen, who stand with their steeds in rows of four in the three columns. Altogether in this phalanx are 108 horses, each with the figure of its rider standing by holding the reins.

The four phalanxes described above form an organic major formation. This form of troop deployment has been described in ancient books on the art of war as: a major formation comprises minor ones, a large battle-array consists of smaller ones, with each part linked to another, every section covering all the others. Unless a large array comprises several small ones, it would be handicapped in flexibility, and "would not be able to break into smaller fighting units" to adapt to complicated terrain or the ever-changing enemy situation: the troops would find themselves unable to spread out or take different positions, or even be thrown into confusion, crowding and jostling against each other.

The positioning of the four phalanxes reflects well-conceived military thinking. The archers' phalanx, protruding in front, faces the enemy on three sides- the front and the two flanks - and is a position to give full play to the power of their bows and arrows. The chariot formation, on the right, can engage the enemy in front and from the right and, availing itself of the "arrow cover" from the archers, is ever ready for both offensive and defensive actions. The cavalry, on the left and facing the enemy only from one flank, is covered on three sides in defence while retaining complete freedom to disengage itself from the main body in an assault. The mixed phalanx of foot, horse and chariot, placed in the middle of the formation, serves as the central coordinating force to link up the other three phalanxes described above and the rearguard placed behind. All four units, offering support to one another, may break up into separate combat units or combine to fight as an integral whole of multiple arms. Highly maneuverable, the battle-array under the command of a seasoned commander could perform miraculously on the battlefield.

The mixed composition of foot, horse and chariot in the same formation represented an important change taking place during the Warring States Period (475-2 2 1 B.C.). Before that a battle-array meant an array of chariots. The change came about with the infantry and cavalry becoming independent arms of the forces.

The three arms were meant to serve different purposes. The chariots were to "storm strong fortifications, put the formidable enemy to rout, and block the fleeing foe." The cavalry, being mobile fighters, were to "chase the foe in flight, disrupt his routes of food supply, and attack lightly armed marauders." Foot soldiers, on their part, would be employed mainly in operations in closed or marshy terrains, where the maneuvers of chariots and horses became difficult, or on garrison duty at forts and passes.

Sun Bin, an eminent military writer quoted above, wrote in his Art of War: Eight Arrays: "Chariot, horse and foot are to be organized in three arrays and positioned one on the right, one on the left and one in the middle. When the terrain is favourable, chariots should be largely employed. When it is difficult, cavalry should be largely employed. In distress, arrows should be resorted to." In other words, according to Sun Bin, topography and combat situation must be taken as the determinant factors in deciding which of the arms should be used as the main force and which as the auxiliary force. Only a good coordination of the three arms could ensure victory.

A brilliant example of this was the Battle of Changping fought in 260 B.C. between the states of Qin and Zhao. The Qin feigned defeat and began to fall back, inducing the unsuspecting Zhao to pursue them. They then unleashed a force which they had laid in ambush to cut off the retreat route of the Zhao. Meanwhile a Qin cavalry unit 5,000 strong struck between various camps of the Zhao, encircling them in separate pockets. Thanks to the well-coordinated use of the three arms, Qin wiped out four hundred and fifty thousand of the enemy, entering a famous battle into the pages of history of ancient Chinese warfare......

Taken from Chinahistoryforum
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2009 at 20:40
Thanks for all the info. It has indeed been very enlightening. All these formations, however, seem rather complex to maintain while actually in battle. When more research is done, it'd be interesting to make a computer model of an actual battle engagement.
IDonT View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote IDonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2009 at 20:56
Originally posted by calvo

Thanks for all the info. It has indeed been very enlightening. All these formations, however, seem rather complex to maintain while actually in battle. When more research is done, it'd be interesting to make a computer model of an actual battle engagement.

Not necessarily.  They just have fantastical names.

The Awl formation = The wedge formation. 
The Wild-Goose-Flight Formation = Reverse wedge formation
The Hook Formation = Flying square

Post Reply Post Reply