Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beijing 2008 - Olympic Games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beijing 2008 - Olympic Games
    Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 05:19

South Korea should certainly be pleased with their performance in the 400m freestyle.

"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 05:59
Originally posted by Justinian

South Korea should certainly be pleased with their performance in the 400m freestyle.

Oh, yeah!CheersClap

Mens%20400m%20Freestyle:%20Park%20takes%20Gold,%20and%20sets%20Asian%20Record
Park, Zhang and Jensen on the podium. (Photo credit: Xinhua)

I think the Koreans were relieved when Phelp decided not to compete in the 400m freestyle.    It would have been more interesting.   Park is only 18, so he's got still least one if not two more Olympics in him.   I wonder if he can get better in other style or distances like Phelps.  Obviously he's better at longer distance.  I think he will compete 200m too but i don't think he can really challenge Phelps in shorter distances, least not yet.  He might still get a bronze maybe.  I believe this one is their first gold in both Swimming and T & F combined, the two boiggest medal mines in  Olympics.   They are usually better at team sports or fighting sports.  They dominate in Archery too but then again that's also fight/battle related sport. 

Phelps was very impressive in 400m medley.  I thought he would get behind on the breast stroke part but he held his own and then blew the competition out of the water(no pun intended) in the freestyle finish.  His turns are so powerful.  I think he can cut down almost a full second every time he turns, well maybe not that much.....   I liked that world record imaginary blue line following them on the screen.  So much better idea than what they tried to do with NHL puck tracer thing.
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 11:43
Phelps, is he actually a God? Many times I have pondered this.
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 18:12
Soldiers raised the olympic flag during the Sydney Olympics and the Nagano Winter Olympics too. Maybe people are less sensitive to them because they didn't goosestep and they're not Chinese.
Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 18:26
Originally posted by babyblue

Soldiers raised the olympic flag during the Sydney Olympics and the Nagano Winter Olympics too. Maybe people are less sensitive to them because they didn't goosestep and they're not Chinese.

Or because they didn't murder innocent tibetians...
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 18:26
Not goosestepping is I think the important point. Goosestepping is indissolubly linked in most people's minds with the Nazis, though I grant that it has been a feature in other armies both before the Nazis and since.

Mond you it would also be a good idea to keep the military out of it. In Britain anyway we used to have 'tattoos' (do they still?) at which the military could show off their skills. But. like politics, it shouldn't get mixed up with sport.

Anyway it's Beijing's Games, not China's and the Chinese should realise that.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 18:29
I don't see this Olympics as the one that is hosted by a totalitarian regime or a communist regime or whatever.  I can only see it as the one that is hosted by the Chinese people, the people with long and proud history and the people that rising back to their own history after a couple of centuries of struggling with the colonialism.  And I think they have done a spectacular job preparing for this coming out party.   I am proud of them.

Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 19:14
Originally posted by King Kang of Mu

I don't see this Olympics as the one that is hosted by a totalitarian regime or a communist regime or whatever.  I can only see it as the one that is hosted by the Chinese people, the people with long and proud history and the people that rising back to their own history after a couple of centuries of struggling with the colonialism.  And I think they have done a spectacular job preparing for this coming out party.   I am proud of them.

You forgot to mention the people who commited the biggest genocide in history and against their won nation killing millions after China became totalitarian.The world hasn't seen such huge scale genocide as the chinese showed us....Are you proud with that?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 19:33
Originally posted by Władysław Warnencz

You forgot to mention the people who commited the biggest genocide in history and against their won nation killing millions after China became totalitarian.The world hasn't seen such huge scale genocide as the chinese showed us....Are you proud with that?

I think the biggest genocide in history was the systematic extermination of native Americans by the European Christian fanatics.  75 million.

Edited by Zagros - 10-Aug-2008 at 19:34
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 20:12
No Olympic Games is hosted by a country or by a people. At least that's the theory and the original intent, even if nationalist hijackers have spun it into something else.

It also should simply be a games between athletes not national teams, but I doubt there's any hope now for restoring de Coubertin's ideals.

The Olympic Games is hosted by a city and the people of that city.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 20:12

Originally posted by gcle2003

No Olympic Games is hosted by a country or by a people. At least that's the theory and the original intent, even if nationalist hijackers have spun it into something else.

It also should simply be a games between athletes not national teams, but I doubt there's any hope now for restoring de Coubertin's ideals.

The Olympic Games is hosted by a city and the people of that city.

Unfortunately nationalism has hijacked the whole idea, and it's much worse this year. There is little hope of getting rid og the national medal standings now, unless IOC does something drastic like removing national teams altogether,  but that would be a logistical nightmare I guess.

Originally posted by Zagros

I think the biggest genocide in history was the systematic extermination of native Americans by the European Christian fanatics.  75 million.

This is utterly ridiculous, and I'm sure you know it. However no genocide, imagined or real,  belong in this thread. I regret I made a post leading this way, but how about just quitting and concentrating on the Games instead?

Edited by Styrbiorn - 10-Aug-2008 at 20:15
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 21:09
Originally posted by Władysław Warnencz

I can tell you this much.  The totalitarian regime that organized 1988 Seoul Olympics wasn't much better the current Chinese regime if not worse, only in smaller scale. 
They used the Olympics to distract and hide the ugly truth of South Korean democracy or lack of it   There was absolutely no way South Korea could have won the right to host the 1988 Olympics. When they earn that right in 1981, South Korea was still a sweatshop nation crippled by Oil Shocks and its democracy in shamble.   But the West had no problem giving the dictator what he wanted because in the big picture, he was just a low-middle management of the Capitalist system. 

But no matter how they got it, once they had to do it, they worked their a$$ off to host a Olympics they can be proud of.  And I am proud of that Olympics.  I am still moved by the fact that the Cold war foes mat again in that Olympics after boycotts of 1980 Moscow and 1984 L.A.  I am proud of the Korean people who worked so hard to be the good hosts, fighting through poverty and oppression and all.  And no, I am not proud of the totalitarian regime made us go through all that.     Does that make sense?

Dictators come and go.  But the pride of the people runs deeper than what they have to endure on the surface.    Someday China won't be so Communist or totalitarian, they won't care which regime hosted this Olympics.    China had many dynasties of different origins and affects in its long history.  But this is their first Olympics and after long period of being closed to the rest of the world, this is their first coming out party.  If you really care about the well being of the Chinese people, perhaps you can be proud of them too instead of giving them a party to throw and go 'Pooh.Pooh' on the every corner.  Being proud of the Chinese for preparing for this Olympics does not mean that you support everything the Chinese government does.  I swear, if that's what you are afraid of.

And guess what? 4 years after 1988 Olympics, South Korea elected a civilian president with civil rights leader background.  See what happens when you open yourself the world more?  
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 21:28
Archer%20Day%202%20Review:%20ROK%20women%20take%206th%20Olympic%20gold
ROK team sporting their gold. (Photo credit: Stu Forster/Getty Images)

Another Gold for Korea!   Yeah, the daughters of Dongyi, the Eastern Bowmen!   You don't ever have to tell these girls to 'concentrate and focus'.   The third Gold already for Korea.  They are only behind host China's 6 so far.   Good start!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 01:57
Rank NOC Name Men Women Open/Mixed Total Rank by Total
G S B T G S B T G S B T G S B T
1 ChinaCHN - China 2 1 3 4 1 5 6 2 8 =1
2 KoreaKOR - Korea 2 1 3 1 1 2 3 2 5 3
3 United%20StatesUSA - United States 1 2 3 1 2 2 5 2 2 4 8 =1
4 Czech%20RepublicCZE - Czech Republic 1 1 1 1 2 2 =9
5 ItalyITA - Italy 1 2 3 1 1 1 2 1 4 =4
6 JapanJPN - Japan 1 1 2 2 1 2 3 =6
7 AustraliaAUS - Australia 1 1 2 1 1 2 =9
7 SpainESP - Spain 1 1 2 1 1 2 =9
7 NetherlandsNED - Netherlands 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 =9
10 Great%20BritainGBR - Great Britain 1 1 1 1 =14
10 RomaniaROU - Romania 1 1 1 1 =14
10 ThailandTHA - Thailand 1 1 1 1 =14
13 Russian%20Fed.RUS - Russian Fed. 1 1 3 3 3 1 4 =4
14 FranceFRA - France 2 2 1 1 2 1 3 =6
15 DPR%20KoreaPRK - DPR Korea 2 2 1 1 1 2 3 =6
16 CubaCUB - Cuba 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 =9
17 AustriaAUT - Austria 1 1 1 1 =14
17 HungaryHUN - Hungary 1 1 1 1 =14
17 SwedenSWE - Sweden 1 1 1 1 =14
17 TurkeyTUR - Turkey 1 1 1 1 =14
17 VietnamVIE - Vietnam 1 1 1 1 =14
17 ZimbabweZIM - Zimbabwe 1 1 1 1 =14

Current overall  standing.    I know theOlympic spirit isn't about medal counts or winning or losing for that matter.  And all these athletes are winners just for being there because most of them least a national champion of their own countries.   But who am I kidding?  Of course the madal counts matter, especially when the Koreans are in the second place.CheersClapThumbs%20Up

But unfortunately even I can't expect them to stay up there too long though.  Once more medals from Track & Field, Swimming, Gymnastics etc starts to roll in Koreans will slide, hopefully not too far.   Good to see North Koreans up there.  Someday they will count those medals combined.  Godd to see Thailand and Vietnam from SE Asia also.  And Zimbabwe!  Has any Afrian nation 3ever finished in top 20 in Olympics medal counts?  Some afre excellent at long distant running for sure.  But just like World Cup Football, they will get better with each tournaments. 

Once again it's still way too early for paying attention to the medal counts, but I had to while Korea is in the second place. EmbarrassedCheers    
raygun View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote raygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 03:20
China did awesome, one of a kind show that highlights the depth and richness of her history, and tastefully done as well. Well done China! Cheers
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 03:33

Originally posted by Justinian

Oh, yeah!CheersClap

Mens%20400m%20Freestyle:%20Park%20takes%20Gold,%20and%20sets%20Asian%20Record
Park, Zhang and Jensen on the podium. (Photo credit: Xinhua)

I think the Koreans were relieved when Phelp decided not to compete in the 400m freestyle.    It would have been more interesting.   Park is only 18, so he's got still least one if not two more Olympics in him.   I wonder if he can get better in other style or distances like Phelps.  Obviously he's better at longer distance.  I think he will compete 200m too but i don't think he can really challenge Phelps in shorter distances, least not yet.  He might still get a bronze maybe.  I believe this one is their first gold in both Swimming and T & F combined, the two boiggest medal mines in  Olympics.   They are usually better at team sports or fighting sports.  They dominate in Archery too but then again that's also fight/battle related sport. 

Phelps was very impressive in 400m medley.  I thought he would get behind on the breast stroke part but he held his own and then blew the competition out of the water(no pun intended) in the freestyle finish.  His turns are so powerful.  I think he can cut down almost a full second every time he turns, well maybe not that much.....   I liked that world record imaginary blue line following them on the screen.  So much better idea than what they tried to do with NHL puck tracer thing.

I didn't see this coming. It was cool to see him win. The Korean commentor was cheering madly rather than commenting on the game... that was kinda hilariousLOL

Join us.
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 04:18
Did anybody catch the 17 year old kid who crushed everyone on the way to gold in the 56kg weight lifting class? I can't remember his name but he powered China to gold handily, and didn't even seem to break a sweat until he tried to smash his own juniors world record, when he dropped it. But this kid had great poise and presence, and looked like he knew he was going to win the gold before he even did his first lift - it was incredible.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 05:01
Incredible finish at the Swimming 400m freestyle relay.  The French were talking mad trash before the match like they were gonna 'smash' the Americans.  Incredible race.  U.S. took the lead after Phelps obviously but the French took the lead and starting to run away I mean swim away with it and I think they had the lead up to maybe last 10-12 m or so, and it literally came down to the last stretch for the wall.  Both team shattered the world record.  This keeps Phelps' 8 golds dream alive.  Incredible.

Japan also won a gold in Swimming today in men's 100m breaststroke.  Of course, every time a Korean does something Japan gotta match it, or is it the other way around.  I never thought I would say this but in the spirit of Olympics, congrats to Japan!  CheersHugYing%20Yang

Donasin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Donasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 05:30
The US women's fencing won bronze, silver, and gold!

Way to go ladies!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-olyfencing10-2008aug10,0,1217769.story
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 05:55
Originally posted by Donasin

The US women's fencing won bronze, silver, and gold!

Way to go ladies!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-olyfencing10-2008aug10,0,1217769.story

Yeah, I saw their interview afterward.  Didn't they do the same thing last Olympics too.  Either way a total domination.  Those girls are all smart girls too. 
Good work ladies!Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>