Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Radovan Karadzic arrested!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radovan Karadzic arrested!!!
    Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 04:49
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VRKwaJ1mSQM&feature=related
Part 1. Look for yourselves what kind of tactics are employed.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 05:05

Karadzic was the leader of the Bosnian Serbs. And the armed forces of the Bosnian Serbs operated under his ultimate authority. He was/is responsible for his actions.

The question a court will ask itself.

i) Was the action carried out by troops for whom he had ultimate responsiblity.

and if yes

ii) He will be deemed to be responible for the actions and liable to any sentence the court imposes if he

a) expressly  or impliedly ordered the actions

or

b) the action were a reasonably forseeble result of orders given by him

or

C) He could reasonably forsee that such actions could occur and failed to take reasonable steps to prevent them from occuring.

General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 05:24
How is it Radovan's fault that the seperatists from Srebrenica brought civilians to fight through enemy territory using them as human shields resulting in some 2,000 (Not 8,000 which were never found) dead. Mind you 2,000 from both sides.

You could very well be the best damned lawyer in the universe but if you don't have the facts straight you aren't going to get a correct result. I tried explaining that to Clea Koff when we spoke, but it seemed to fly over her head and i was astonished how she did not know some very basic things concerning Srebrenica. I don't think she had ever heard of Naser Oric before I mentioned him to her.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 08:44
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Hello Cezar

Well, based on your logic, why have courts period when people known to have done a crime are put to trial there. Ceaucescu should have been set free by your standards because no court will ever give him a "fair trial". So all the Nazi leaders for that matter.
I would have loved to see Ceausescu set free. Also the Nazi leaders. Because there were enough far fetched "proofs" against them that rised questions about the justice act.
Ceausescu was murdered on Christmas Day in a Christian country. No matter how evil he was it wasn't a fair trial. The act of punishing a criminal based only on public opinion is as bad as what the criminal did based on his own opinion. I'd rather let the criminal loose than condemn him only because "I/we/everybody know" he's a criminal. 

I am not going to discuss the Srebrenica report website because it was killed by discussion in another thread but if there is any doubt, then he should non the less give it. Other yoguslav war criminals, from all backgrounds including Serb, were set free for lack of evidence or were found not guilty so as far as I am concerned, this guy will get the justice that was denied to thousands during the conflict.
 AL-Jassas
One cannot separate Srebrenica and Radovan. And since Srebrenica is quite controversial in regard of evidence then the whole thing turns into propaganda. So whatever the court will do it will be twisted by the media. What I'm seeing is the same machine that was used in this country and in the USSR.  
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 08:55
Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

How is it Radovan's fault that the seperatists from Srebrenica brought civilians to fight through enemy territory using them as human shields resulting in some 2,000 (Not 8,000 which were never found) dead. Mind you 2,000 from both sides.

You could very well be the best damned lawyer in the universe but if you don't have the facts straight you aren't going to get a correct result. I tried explaining that to Clea Koff when we spoke, but it seemed to fly over her head and i was astonished how she did not know some very basic things concerning Srebrenica. I don't think she had ever heard of Naser Oric before I mentioned him to her.
These "facts" that you claim are

i) discredited by everyone; except partisans of Karadzic.

ii) Are unlikely to absolve him of blame either, since the allegation is what he did not what others did. Even if the substance of your claim is true, it in no way changes the indictment. The fact in issue is whether civilians were killed;  not why they were there.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 08:56
Saddam was sacrificed on the Sunni day of sacrifice yet I have no objection, except fotr timing of course.

As for crimes committed, well, if it was just Srebrenica things would have been easy, he faces much more charges. sarajevo was shelled for nearly four years and aide had to be dropped by air during the worst periods, this isn't child's play. Many people were just kicked out of their homes like in Banja Luka and other places. These charges must not take second place in Srebrenica. actually, I think he might get off of Srebrenica, since it was Mladic who was the real culprit, but he won't escape ethnic cleansing and Sarajevo.

As for you Carpathian, one video about Srebrenica I will show that says people weren't "human shields" but were rounded up and killed after a priest blessed the murdrers:

Al-Jassas
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 09:16
Originally posted by Seko

Originally posted by Cezar

Radovan Karadzic is another case of a person who stands no chance for afair trial. The fact is that no jury or judge would dare to not condemn him if the available evidence(s) presents reasonable doubt. The man has been portrayed as a monster and there is no chance to change this picture. No matter how correct would be the trial the media will turn it into a revenge process. The man is guilty before being judged. Starting with Nuremburg all trials concerning "crimes against humanity" were nothing but propaganda performances.
Some may seek the satisfaction of seeing the "really bad guy" paying for his evil deeds. Some may think that sentencing a public extremist figure will quiet down the people and maybe will stop other individuals to turn into such leaders. The point is that things don't work that way. Saddam is dead and there's no peace in Iraq.

That's as convoluted a conclusion I have seen here on AE in a while.
Maybe you know something I don't. The point is that every now and then (whenever the politicians feel the need) a "public enemy/war criminal/monster" is thrown into the public eye. The media takes the story the people buy it and there's no chance for that guy to face a fair trial. How come so many criminals spawn?
First off, no matter what you or I think, he was a wanted man. His arrest will lead to a UN trial for his crimes (not only for his orders in Srebrenica and Sarajevo against the Bosnians but for holding hostage UN peacekeepers). Unless you don't believe in due process your defense and partiality is not a brand of justice that is generally practiced in the modern world.
 No matter what I believe it is clear that you already "know" that he is a criminal. Try to think of the matter from his side. He might think that he's innocent of wr crimes or genocide. He might be right or not. Is there a chance that the tribunal will not condemn him based on reasonable doubt?[/quote]
As for "quieting down the people", that is a secondary gain. His trial is for war crimes not the pacification of the innocent.[/quote] The secondary gain is what makes politics work. That turns it into the primary target. Unless the members of the court are not from this planet. How much pressure can a judge stand?
Lastly, what does this have to do with Saddam? Big leap in twisted logic on your part!
There are enough similarities to make this comparison. If you bring a person to justice just for the sake of justice then justice is useless.
Don't mistake me, I do support the existence of international courts. I am for criminals to be prosecuted. What I'm pointing at is that what I'm witnessing is the use of those trials for mainly the sake of politicians.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 09:38
Originally posted by Sparten

And to what end?
Have you read it already?
You don't like it just because it doesn't "fit" the current story?
Kindly don't try this on me. I am a lawyer, I took International Human Rights in Law School, I interned with a firm that did that as a speciality and I have spent countless hours on the whole Bosnia mess. Far far far more than you or anyother apologist could even dream about. You talk about the Serbenicia report. I have read hundreds of other reports whicjh are far far reliable, including after actiion reports of UN battalions in the general area over a sequence of many weeks. So frankly, that link you gave me  has zip, nil, nada chances of influencing me one way or the other.
Nice plea councelor. Too bad you don't back it up with proper documents. What does your school taught you about controversial evidence? I'm not an apologist. The fact that I gave you a link that raises questions about the general picture regarding an episode of the war in the former Yougoslavia doesn't make me an apologist. I've never made a statement that the Serbs are innocent. I'm not the one to decide who's guilty and who's not. Your last statement, should I take it literally? 

1) Yes, the Serbs were not the only bad guys, yes the muslims did things that made me ashamed to be associated with them, but the point here is.....
 2) This is not about muslims or croats or anybody else, it is about Mr Karadzic and the charges againt him. He must face the charges. And the accusers must prove them beyond reasonable doubt.
You think that there is no doubt about what he deed. Why would the members of the ICTY think otherwise? Whatever evidence or counteragument Karadzic will bring has zip, nil, nada chances of influencing them.
Personally, I think his goose is cooked. The evidence is overwhelming against him, and most if any defence he can lean on have been refuted ages ago, and many many times, by many different persons.
Since the reason for refusing evidence is "zip, nil nada" I do agree that Karadzic stands no chance.
So unless he has some dramatic thing hidden somewhere, something which thousands of the most dedicated and best researcher, investigators and lawyers have failed to discover over a decade and and a half and after spending tens of millions of dollars; well I hope he enjoys prison showers. 
What's the use of spending even more money on the trial? Shove him directly down there!

Edited by Cezar - 24-Jul-2008 at 09:39
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 10:12

Yugoslavia and Russia having friendly relations pre Soviet Union era and post Soviet Union. Yugoslavia was Russia's foot step into europe, its way of influence over europe and the only mass sure source of oil which is stable, as opposed to the general cluster mess that the middle east is.
Actually apart from both WWs Serbian-Russian relationships were not as good. Good example -- Tito's Yugoslavia.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 11:57

Nice plea councelor. Too bad you don't back it up with proper documents. What does your school taught you about controversial evidence? I'm not an apologist. The fact that I gave you a link that raises questions about the general picture regarding an episode of the war in the former Yougoslavia doesn't make me an apologist. I've never made a statement that the Serbs are innocent. I'm not the one to decide who's guilty and who's not. Your last statement, should I take it literally? 
Evidence is anything that is relevant and tends to be legally probative or disprobative. So yeah put it up. As for controversial evidence; anything that unfairly prejudices the defendant is excluded in most trials (confessions obtaine through coersive means, deciete etc).

I do know this, I have reviewed all the evidence against Mr Karadzic, and its my judgement that a conviction on the most serious counts specifically 1-6 (genocide, violation human rights, complicity in genocide, violations of the customs of war and breach of the Geneva convention). About count 7 ( persecutions) I think thats a bit vauge, he may well get off, counts 8 and 9 (deportations and the like) have bee a crime since the fourth geneva convention of 1949 (can't remember which article though, the judgement at Nuremberg also declared it a crime), count 10 (terror against civilians), very iffy iunlikely it'll stick it relates to military operations and the shelling of Sarejevo, he could argue that it was a legitamate target and is acceptable by the customs of war; Count 11 (taking of hostages) relates to the UN observers and peacekeepers he taken hostage, well duh, he said on multiple occassion in front of the media that he had taken hostages and they would be released when the NATO strikes stopped. Not like he hid from that, Count 11 (violation of the custom of war) a general purpose allegation designed to capture actions which don't quite fit elsewhere,

So out of 11 counts (that I remember now) he can be cooked for at least 8 of them.

Finally theres the little matter of Serbrenecia. Under SC resolution 819 it was a safe area where the combatants were not allowed to conduct operations. So even if Karadzic was an angel and did nothing, the very action of entering the town was a breach of international law.

Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 13:41

But what war crimes did he commit really? Let's stick to Sarajevo and Srebrenica.

The first was a city held by islamic extremists. Why do i call them as such? Because that is what Alija was. He wasn't elected, he forced Abdic, a moderate out. Abdic's muslims and Serbs fought side by side against the western backed Alija regime. The UN documents many times where the Bosniaks (Alija's) mortared their own people in an attempt to gain sympathy.

Next we have Srebrenica, who's numbers of dead are highly inflated. Slobodna Bosna even states that Srebrenica was used as a staging point of attacks by Naser Oric in an attempt to get the Serbs to attack. The Serbs sent in a force of 200 men with a couple of tanks. Because of the high command leaving Srebrenica behind, the lower ranked men retreated. they took civilians with them in an attempt to go to Tuzla. The land inbetween was Serb held and the two military forces met and fought. The Bosniaks had civilians with them effectivly using them as human shields.

This is a very good website and i'm glad it was posted. Very clean and to the point.

His crime is that he was Head of State of a separatist entity under which horrifying crimes conducted, and which are his responsibility. Same why Yugoslavian President was on trial at the ICTY. Same why Croatian President Franjo Tudjman and Bosnian-Herzegovinian President Alija Izetbegovic were supposed to be on trial. Same reason why Serbian President Milan Milutinovic is currently on trial. And same reason why Montenegrin President Momir Bulatovic was never called/isn't at the ICTY on trial.

Two other factors for Serbs:

1. The principle of victor's justice, it is only expectable that Serbs get the hardest punishments and that Bosniacs and Albanians practically go free, even if the cases are at least remotely similar, and that is a reality; a best effect probably why no Slovene was ever persecuted (despite that brutal massacre of Yugoslav People's Army's unarmed youth as well as several other incidents). Another evident reason for this is while only a number of CroatIANS were indicted, a huge number of the Bosnian Croats were

2. Serbs(+Montenegrins) were indeed in conflict with Albanians, Bosnian Muslims and Croats. Therefore, if only SerbIANS and Albanians are counted, therefore by each war (Croatian, Bosnian, Kosovar), a different picture is created. The Croats too have a bit high number of ICTY indictees - and that is because they were involved in the wars in Croatia and Bosnia.

3. Now this is a plain coincidence - Serbs/Montenegrins, if we turn a blind eye on Slobodan Milosevic who died after more than 5 years of detainment, have simply had longer and healthier lives, whereas the Croats have had a most unfortunate coincidence that their bad guys were simply too old, or died earlier of illness, including the most bad ones - President Franjo Tudjman, Minister of Interior Gojko Susak, Croatian Army leader Janko Bobetko, Croatian Army Chief of Staff Zvonimir Cervenko, and even the Bosnian Muslim leader Alija Izetbegovic. It is just the way it is, and if all of these people were alive, a different image would've been. However, nothing can be done to change this.

4. Last and of course not least, some of the most bloodthirsty monsters were precisely mainly ethnic Serbs
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 13:49

Karadzic was the leader of the Bosnian Serbs. And the armed forces of the Bosnian Serbs operated under his ultimate authority. He was/is responsible for his actions.

The question a court will ask itself.

i) Was the action carried out by troops for whom he had ultimate responsiblity.

and if yes

ii) He will be deemed to be responible for the actions and liable to any sentence the court imposes if he

a) expressly  or impliedly ordered the actions

or

b) the action were a reasonably forseeble result of orders given by him

or

C) He could reasonably forsee that such actions could occur and failed to take reasonable steps to prevent them from occuring.

Technically, the answer should be yes, but it isn't. The main military leader was Ratko Mladic. However, I am not sure if it benefits Radovan in any way. Same as the situation in Serbia, President Milan Milutinovic is currently on trial in the ICTY just for being Head of State, and thus the prosecutors claim that he could've used his powers to do something, but he didn't - when Milan Milutinovic, contrary to Slobodan Milosevic, only had to decide when to go to the toilette, or water the flowers (so, no, it's a little bad to compare him to Radovan Karadzic) and the most expected verdict is acquittal in his case.

It's actually neither of those you mentioned. It's willingly hiding and open lying about the atrocities and grave breaches of the Geneva Convention, of which he was oh-so-very-much informed, as well as (like Vojislav Seselj) original instigation to war with hate speech. This all is very easily provable, and taking to granted that he actually was in hiding for more than 12 years (!), which do not really speak in his favor, there is no doubt that the years he'll get are big time.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 14:00

First of all, your approach is very insulting and bad. Those are not "separatists".

Second of all, you are referring to exhumed bodies. There are for now more than 2,000 discovered, identified and buried bodies. I'm not going over into the victim number controversies, but the number of the dead simply must be far larger than that.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 14:21
Originally posted by Anton

Yugoslavia and Russia having friendly relations pre Soviet Union era and post Soviet Union. Yugoslavia was Russia's foot step into europe, its way of influence over europe and the only mass sure source of oil which is stable, as opposed to the general cluster mess that the middle east is.
Actually apart from both WWs Serbian-Russian relationships were not as good. Good example -- Tito's Yugoslavia.

Yep, only Serbian nationalists believe in them. Actually the Russians constantly gave promises, but never appeared, in 1804-1812 they promised great things, came and pulled back immediately, then in 1999 they stated that Belgrade should not even worry and that there is no chance Kosovo shall be separated from Serbia, and they were the first ones to pull back from Kosovo, as soon as Romania and Bulgaria were pressed by the US to withdraw permission to Russia to freely supply its bases in Kosovo.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 14:24

Finally theres the little matter of Serbrenecia. Under SC resolution 819 it was a safe area where the combatants were not allowed to conduct operations. So even if Karadzic was an angel and did nothing, the very action of entering the town was a breach of international law.

Not necessarily. There were other cases where aggressors on internationally-protected territory were acquitted.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 14:25

Radovan Karadzic is another case of a person who stands no chance for afair trial. The fact is that no jury or judge would dare to not condemn him if the available evidence(s) presents reasonable doubt. The man has been portrayed as a monster and there is no chance to change this picture. No matter how correct would be the trial the media will turn it into a revenge process. The man is guilty before being judged. Starting with Nuremburg all trials concerning "crimes against humanity" were nothing but propaganda performances.
Some may seek the satisfaction of seeing the "really bad guy" paying for his evil deeds. Some may think that sentencing a public extremist figure will quiet down the people and maybe will stop other individuals to turn into such leaders. The point is that things don't work that way. Saddam is dead and there's no peace in Iraq.

The man was charged with numerous crimes against humanity. He was wanted. Pure and simple. Now he faces trial. You, me or baby Jane down the street could paint him as anything we want, it still makes no difference what we think in this case. The man is charged and is not yet found guilty. He will have his own defense and attempt to prove his innocence.

Maybe you know something I don't. The point is that every now and then (whenever the politicians feel the need) a "public enemy/war criminal/monster" is thrown into the public eye. The media takes the story the people buy it and there's no chance for that guy to face a fair trial. How come so many criminals spawn?

Public eye? About time don't you think? Afterall he avoided the law for ten years. Now you complain that he is a public figure again?

No matter what I believe it is clear that you already "know" that he is a criminal. Try to think of the matter from his side. He might think that he's innocent of wr crimes or genocide. He might be right or not. Is there a chance that the tribunal will not condemn him based on reasonable doubt?

I know what I know from reading and hearing about his "crimes". I admit that I am partial and have a pretty good idea where his plot six feet under should be. He gave orders to soldiers. That is all the proof a court really needs. Once a murder charge is proven on anyone of them he is liable for not only aiding and abbetting but for being a conspiritor to commit murder.

The secondary gain is what makes politics work. That turns it into the primary target. Unless the members of the court are not from this planet. How much pressure can a judge stand?

I suppose then the public should not be interested? We should get a judge from Mars. "Look people of Earth, you are trying a public figure. You cannot do that. Hire us, the Martian Legal League instead."

There are enough similarities to make this comparison. If you bring a person to justice just for the sake of justice then justice is useless.
Don't mistake me, I do support the existence of international courts. I am for criminals to be prosecuted. What I'm pointing at is that what I'm witnessing is the use of those trials for mainly the sake of politicians.

The trial of Saddam was a sham because it was carried out by Iraqi interim government. Not the US, where it should have been. This trial for Mr. K will be held in the Hague. A big difference between the two.

Edited by Seko - 24-Jul-2008 at 20:13
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 16:14
Originally posted by Yugoslav

Not necessarily. There were other cases where aggressors on internationally-protected territory were acquitted.
There was a case in Cyprus. But they were never tried, not aquitted.

Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 16:40

Originally posted by Yugoslav

There was a case in Cyprus. But they were never tried, not aquitted.

I am referring to a more specific example. Croatian general of Kosovo Albanian descent, Rahim Ademi - tried and acquitted.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 18:18
"
These "facts" that you claim are

i) discredited by everyone; except partisans of Karadzic.

ii) Are unlikely to absolve him of blame either, since the allegation is what he did not what others did. Even if the substance of your claim is true, it in no way changes the indictment. The fact in issue is whether civilians were killed;  not why they were there."

Right right discredited by everyone but the supporters...this isn't how you make an arguement, you provide counter proof. I thought you were a lawyer.

Civilians were killed because bosniak seperatists took them to Tuzla through fighting. If i show up at your house with a gun and a human shield and start shooting at your family you fire back. And if you happen to hit my hostage and kill them are you guilty of their death? No, I would be. I'm curious you're a lawyer in which country?

"As for you Carpathian, one video about Srebrenica I will show that says people weren't "human shields" but were rounded up and killed after a priest blessed the murdrers:"

Sorry but this is simply media spin. We already discussed this non sense. Also sorry but in Orthodoxy we don't have little "allahu ackbar" get togethers for any sort of killing.

"Actually apart from both WWs Serbian-Russian relationships were not as good. Good example -- Tito's Yugoslavia. "

That's what I said...

"His crime is that he was Head of State of a separatist entity under which horrifying crimes conducted, and which are his responsibility. Same why Yugoslavian President was on trial at the ICTY. Same why Croatian President Franjo Tudjman and Bosnian-Herzegovinian President Alija Izetbegovic were supposed to be on trial. Same reason why Serbian President Milan Milutinovic is currently on trial. And same reason why Montenegrin President Momir Bulatovic was never called/isn't at the ICTY on trial. "

The RS was a seperatist entity? Seperating from who? Bosnia? Bosnia was ILLIGALLY ruled by Alija who forced Abdic out of office. Abdic was a pro yugoslav muslim who won the election in Bosnia. Alija forced him out and could with western backing. So the RS weren't seperatists, they were loyalists. If they were seperatists they were seperating from Alija's islamic fundamentalist nation he invisioned in his mein kampf.

"First of all, your approach is very insulting and bad. Those are not "separatists". "

Yeah they were. They were seperatists from Yugoslavia loyal to Alija Izetbegovic. If they were loyal to Bosnia they would have fought with Abdic. People don't realize this but the war wasn't Bosniak vs Serb. It was Yugoslav loyalist vs islamic fundamentalist rebels. Many moderate muslims fought on the Serb's side such as Abdic's faction.

"Second of all, you are referring to exhumed bodies. There are for now more than 2,000 discovered, identified and buried bodies. I'm not going over into the victim number controversies, but the number of the dead simply must be far larger than that."

Ah it must be far larger because then the story the media and the west spun out just doesn't make sense! Well you can go read what Slobodna Bosna, Bosniak general said about what happened in Srebrenica yourself if you want.

"Finally theres the little matter of Serbrenecia. Under SC resolution 819 it was a safe area where the combatants were not allowed to conduct operations. So even if Karadzic was an angel and did nothing, the very action of entering the town was a breach of international law."

The very fact that you say that so thoughtlessly shows to me clearly you have little knowledge of Srebrenica. Srebrenica actually fell 3 times. The first time was right at the start of the war. The Serbs offered the Bosniaks autonomy if they just drop their guns. They did that until Naser Oric came in and he started attacking the Serbian populace around. So the Serbs wanted to go into Srebrenica but before they could the international community (NATO) said they would carpet bomb the RS if they did that. So a UN safe zone was made. From that UN safe zone, Naser Oric's men were armed and they attacked the Serbs again trying to get them to attack. Before the Serbs did the top leaddership in Srebrenica was flown out leaving behind only low ranked soldiers. When the Serbs advanced with 200 men and a couple of tanks, while the Bosniaks had a few thousand and all the anti tank equipment they could want, they retreated north with civilians into Serb territory and wanted to fight their way through the Serbs. The Serbs of course fought back. Civilians died because the Bosniak rebels took civilians with them.

I'm really astonished by self proclaimed experts on this topic when they don't have the basic facts. First Clea Koff who even wrote a book on it and now you. I don't mean to sound disrespectful but i can't help but shake my head in disbelief..."really?...really?"
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 20:49
Oh, nice, one 'less' in this world... He hid himself well indeed.
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>