Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

US Financial Crisis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US Financial Crisis
    Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 06:57
We really should have a Leonidas's cornor on this forum. His analysis of the financial markets are always a pleasure to read.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 11:05
Hi, Pike,

As a securities broker and consultant, you are probably seeing people who are a lot better off to begin with Furthermore, most of us will agree that there was economic growth in the U.S. in the last 8 years. The problem is that most of us didn't get to experience it. The last 8 years for most middle class and lower has been one long recession.

As I said before, the U.S. has been blessed with no major economic crisis since the Great Depression. There aren't too many people around to remember what triggered it or how bad it was.

After the Great Depression, a whole generation put enough regulations to guarantee that it wouldn't happen again. Enough, in fact, that it has taken almost 30 years to dismantle many of them. Enough, in fact, that if it weren't because there are still many of them in place, we would be living through another Great Depression right now.

Right before the Great Depression, a culture that was very similar to ours existed: a glorification of speculation, a lot of investments done through debt, lax regulation on financial markets, a religious belief on how the market could sort things out magically.

Then the market did take care of itself, destroying the life of millions of people. Many, in fact, who never participated in the wild speculation of the era. Many, who did everything right. We got to remember this because if we don't, none of the rest of what I am saying will matter.

The most dangerous element of the current economic situation is a belief that nothing really bad could happen. Heck, I have read some people who are welcoming the coming economic problems as punishment for those who overextended themselves. They seem to forget that the market is not a daddy that gives candy to good children and a spanking to bad children. It is more like influenza of 1918, killing people as it goes through.

Our current libertarian/free market religious beliefs are preventing our leadership to take action and preventing the population from creating the political conditions to force our leadership to take action.

I ask you then, what is the foundation for your skepticism about the economic warnings from so many economist, Pike. You know that the current bond market have thrown conventional wisdom on investing out the window. Bonds are suppose to be more secure than equities, yet at this point they seem to be more risky because the bank and credit situation hasn't been fully sorted out yet.

Also, explain what inflation is going to do with savings, and why this isn't an economic threat. If middle class people saved 200K and inflation punches out 10% to 25% of its value within a year or two, how can this not be seen with alarm? (I would like to give you a firm figure, but since U.S. inflation rates are doctored to look better than reality, I have to give a wide range. What I know is that gas and certain food staples and medical care have risen over 100% in the last 8 years).

If you really have a good answer for why this isn't a problem, please tell me. Really. I have to admit that I keep hoping that things will just sort themselves out because I have no control over these forces.

To me, it feels that I am at the beach as I see a wall of water heading towards to me in what looks like a tsunami while knowing that I can't ran away from it. So I put my head in the sand most of the time to make it possible for me to live until the water hits me.

I just want to be sure that when you downplay the credit market problems and inflation, that you are actually looking at the sea and know that there isn't a tsunami approaching, rather than you are doing the same, putting your head in the sand next to me.
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 11:56
Just as "Real Communism" has little in common with the picture that Marxists paint, "Real Free Market" doesn't match with what is taught. (Bey, this is your queue to enter into the discussion )

Well, I broadly agree with you.

'Ideal free market' of libertarian dreamers (or as explained by Zagros above 'free market would not have allowed this, would have fixed that, etc.') cannot exist, because it describes a situation where every actor knows everything there is to know about the economy, i.e.  the information exchange is perfect.  This  can never happen  in reality, as it is physically impossible.

If it were possible, the market then would work perfectly and  everyone would have benefitted  from it,  non-market influence would  have been always negative, the prices would be low as profits would disappear, pigs would be flying tail in trunk with pink elephants in the US middle class 'libertarian' south park Tobodei dreamlands... 

But the point about profits disappearing under ideal free market is important, because it leads to an interesting conclusion, i.e. 'free market' is not always synonymous with 'capitalism'. Because capitalism is the system for maximising profit. And profits maximise  under  monopoly conditions.

That's why Western imperialists talk of free market, free trade, responsible spending and force the Third World to open its markets and enforce tight monetary regimes during economic crises, while themselves don't open their markets and employ Keynesian methods to counter unavoidable downturns in their capitalist economies. Their aim is to keep their monopolies, cartels etc. intact, so that the money flows to them. This is the main function of organisations like IMF, WB, WTO. It is not by coincidence that Wolfowitz, one of the architects of Iraq invasion was at the head of World Bank.

Nevertheless, the ridiculous bubble known as the US economy will burst, if not now, than surely within a few decades.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 16:33
Free markets don't exist and never have.  And politics and economics are inseparable.  Neo-con "classical" economics advantages wealthy persons on the theory that they are the only ones with anything to invest and therefore they provide the energy for the economic engine.  (That is not really the case if one looks at how many small investors there are in the West in the last 40 or 50 years.  It was true before that however.)

Anyway, politics nearly always massages reality for perception, so once the neo-cons were empowered in office, taxes went down (very popular - a good way to get re-elected) and regulation was in some cases emasculated (good way for the wealthy to get wealthier).  If the wealthy keep the engine going as described, there is a certain logic to all this.

However (Bey may be surprised to know this) I realize that capitalism tends toward monopoly.  Exxon Mobil and Wal Mart would take it all if they could.  Lax regulation is always abused as shown here in the last decade, and that lesson has to be relearned over and over:

Trust busting after 1900

Oil scandals in 1920s

The New Deal programs of the depression...Social Security, workers comp, pensions, health insurance, a central bank and sophisticated regulatory agencies.  All necessary and still with us.

Now we have to learn it again.....Enron, Rite Aid, Tyco, WorldCom, QWest, the airlines, predatory lenders and so on.

I am not totally turned off by a Keynesian model as that approach has been applied at times in the past century, but the inevitable influence of politics often results in economic conditions that harm some interests usually to the benefit of more widespread interests.

That is always a European indictment of the US, but the US is not, and likely never will be, a centralized welfare state.  The roller coaster will keep going; many will benefit - others will lose out.  That is our political economic history. 

Yes, we should tax when times are good.  Yes, regulators should ALWAYS watch over more things closely so the thieves can be deterred and sanctioned.  Because of politics (an important human activity) it ain't gonna happen.

Politically, profit is where its at, and profit is a short term concept.  Stock holders, and investment company mutual fund customers, and institutional investors like pension plans and trusts want profit every quarter of every year.  And those people vote.

The railroad pensioner, and the teamster and the other union members, and the huge number of public employees are investors in their enormous retirement plans.  They vote too. 

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 04-Jul-2008 at 16:53
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 16:48
Buy silver coins, or every kind of silver or gold, stamps, art, buy or keep land. And take huge credits at the correct moment and buy seeds, tractors and guns. Good luck!
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 18:32
Originally posted by hugoestr

Hi, Pike,

As a securities broker and consultant, you are probably seeing people who are a lot better off to begin with Furthermore, most of us will agree that there was economic growth in the U.S. in the last 8 years. The problem is that most of us didn't get to experience it. The last 8 years for most middle class and lower has been one long recession.

As I said before, the U.S. has been blessed with no major economic crisis since the Great Depression. There aren't too many people around to remember what triggered it or how bad it was.

After the Great Depression, a whole generation put enough regulations to guarantee that it wouldn't happen again. Enough, in fact, that it has taken almost 30 years to dismantle many of them. Enough, in fact, that if it weren't because there are still many of them in place, we would be living through another Great Depression right now.

Right before the Great Depression, a culture that was very similar to ours existed: a glorification of speculation, a lot of investments done through debt, lax regulation on financial markets, a religious belief on how the market could sort things out magically.

Then the market did take care of itself, destroying the life of millions of people. Many, in fact, who never participated in the wild speculation of the era. Many, who did everything right. We got to remember this because if we don't, none of the rest of what I am saying will matter.

The most dangerous element of the current economic situation is a belief that nothing really bad could happen. Heck, I have read some people who are welcoming the coming economic problems as punishment for those who overextended themselves. They seem to forget that the market is not a daddy that gives candy to good children and a spanking to bad children. It is more like influenza of 1918, killing people as it goes through.

Our current libertarian/free market religious beliefs are preventing our leadership to take action and preventing the population from creating the political conditions to force our leadership to take action.

I ask you then, what is the foundation for your skepticism about the economic warnings from so many economist, Pike. You know that the current bond market have thrown conventional wisdom on investing out the window. Bonds are suppose to be more secure than equities, yet at this point they seem to be more risky because the bank and credit situation hasn't been fully sorted out yet.

Also, explain what inflation is going to do with savings, and why this isn't an economic threat. If middle class people saved 200K and inflation punches out 10% to 25% of its value within a year or two, how can this not be seen with alarm? (I would like to give you a firm figure, but since U.S. inflation rates are doctored to look better than reality, I have to give a wide range. What I know is that gas and certain food staples and medical care have risen over 100% in the last 8 years).

If you really have a good answer for why this isn't a problem, please tell me. Really. I have to admit that I keep hoping that things will just sort themselves out because I have no control over these forces.

To me, it feels that I am at the beach as I see a wall of water heading towards to me in what looks like a tsunami while knowing that I can't ran away from it. So I put my head in the sand most of the time to make it possible for me to live until the water hits me.

I just want to be sure that when you downplay the credit market problems and inflation, that you are actually looking at the sea and know that there isn't a tsunami approaching, rather than you are doing the same, putting your head in the sand next to me.

The issue with the distribution of wealth of the past eight years is interesting to look at for the various econmic classes, for example in 2003, I was able to move to a bigger house in the Northern Virginia area due to my parents moving into the upper-middle class mainly due to my Dad moving into much higher paying private sector employment. However even where I am now in an area of Northern Virginia outside of Washington DC that has a very large-upper-middle to upper-class population the dramtic shift in economics is being felt in very big ways as prices for everyday needs have gone up dramtically and foreclosures have skyrockted. In addition many in the white collar workforce are beginning to lose thier jobs. so this shows the current economic crisis being felt here in the US is not just confined to the middle and working classes. Which I think will present a much bigger problem going into this.       
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 19:15
Free markets don't exist and never have.  And politics and economics are inseparable.  Neo-con "classical" economics advantages wealthy persons on the theory that they are the only ones with anything to invest and therefore they provide the energy for the economic engine.  (That is not really the case if one looks at how many small investors there are in the West in the last 40 or 50 years.  It was true before that however.)

Anyway, politics nearly always massages reality for perception, so once the neo-cons were empowered in office, taxes went down (very popular - a good way to get re-elected) and regulation was in some cases emasculated (good way for the wealthy to get wealthier).  If the wealthy keep the engine going as described, there is a certain logic to all this.

I broadly agree.

However (Bey may be surprised to know this) I realize that capitalism tends toward monopoly.  Exxon Mobil and Wal Mart would take it all if they could.

I am not surprised. I think you are evil, not stupid.

Lax regulation is always abused as shown here in the last decade, and that lesson has to be relearned over and over:...

What you are describing is not 'forgetting' and 'relearning' a lesson. It is textbook class warfare. No 'lesson' will be learned, as the relative power of classes will change. Whenever the rich will get stronger they will attack the gains made by the middle and lower classes and vice versa.

I am not totally turned off by a Keynesian model as that approach has been applied at times in the past century, but the inevitable influence of politics often results in economic conditions that harm some interests usually to the benefit of more widespread interests.

Yes, the interests of the rich should be harmed to help the interests of the poor. This is what we say. Since neocons took power, the number of millionairres and the poor in the US increased. They acted in their class interest and transferred wealth from the poor to the rich. When the rich class interest dictated that they make concessions to growing political power of the lower classes, that was the Keynesian era in the West.

That is always a European indictment of the US, but the US is not, and likely never will be, a centralized welfare state.  The roller coaster will keep going; many will benefit - others will lose out.  That is our political economic history.

Yes, there is a roller-coaster where the balance of power between the classes changes in a rather dialectical fashion. However, this equilibrium can be upset, if not by purely internal means, by added effect of external shocks. Such as environmental collapse. Excuse the technical terms, but while you are right about the USA having a lot of inertia (stability, economic power, military power, etc), it nevertheless can be toppled and become anything, welfare state, communist, anarchist, fascist, nuclear wasteland, you name it...

Note that this is also true for capitalism in general. I personally think that US imperial power won't survive this century, but capitalism will.

Yes, we should tax when times are good.  Yes, regulators should ALWAYS watch over more things closely so the thieves can be deterred and sanctioned.  Because of politics (an important human activity) it ain't gonna happen.

Who's a thief and who is not is determined by the ones in power, so what you write is not that meaningful. For you a starving black kid who steals bread is a thief and should be 'ALWAYS' punished, for me a billionairre is a thief as no one can earn that much money by honest work and he should be punished in some way.

Politically, profit is where its at, and profit is a short term concept.  Stock holders, and investment company mutual fund customers, and institutional investors like pension plans and trusts want profit every quarter of every year.  And those people vote.

The railroad pensioner, and the teamster and the other union members, and the huge number of public employees are investors in their enormous retirement plans.  They vote too.

True, but voting is not the only way to exert political power. In fact voting has no power at all if it is not backed by widespread political mobilisation of the classes. If the class is weak, the people they elect won't be able to change anything. That's why Western (especially American) elections are mostly theatre.

Even if voting mattered, not everyone is a Marxist like you, and they don't vote in their class interest. The corporate media, the church, the school, are doing everything they can to prevent this.

Edited by Beylerbeyi - 04-Jul-2008 at 19:17
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 20:07
Originally posted by hugoestr

Originally posted by Panther

Good question. I have one myself. If the US economy is tanking, then why is it still growing?

Hi, there,

This is a history forum, so let's remember what the economic conditions were right before the crash of 1929. Eerily similar.

I agree and could this be a ploy to force the Norrh American Union and the Amero currency upon the people of the Americas????
I found this article in August Review and it is not if but when the crash happens.

http://www.augustreview.com/news_commentary/global_banking/imminent_financial_crisis?_2008070394/

Imminent Financial Crisis?      

You won't see this repeated in U.S. media outlets, but Europe is running scared of an impending financial disaster.

Barclays Capital, the Royal Bank of Scotland and Fortis are pulling away from the U.S. financial markets. The withdrawal of funds from New York institutions has not been reported, but amounts to at least a mini-run on the banks involved, similar to what happened to Bear Stearns in March; the run may be expanding......
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 21:56
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

Yes, there is a roller-coaster where the balance of power between the classes changes in a rather dialectical fashion. However, this equilibrium can be upset, if not by purely internal means, by added effect of external shocks. Such as environmental collapse. Excuse the technical terms, but while you are right about the USA having a lot of inertia (stability, economic power, military power, etc), it nevertheless can be toppled and become anything, welfare state, communist, anarchist, fascist, nuclear wasteland, you name it...

Great response Beylerbeyi. During this economic disaster currently unfolding only the middle classes and working classes feel the financial pain, the capitalist ultra-rich class which is less than one percent actually benefits from it by buying even more public assets at a lower price.
As a result most of Americans will be turned into nothing more but wage slave peasants subservient to a new clique of Tyrants struggling to get by amidst rising personal debt, price hikes, depreciating salary versus higher inflation and rising unemployment. It is realistically impossible to imagine a bleaker economic future. This will probably compel a real change in the U.S. government or, if this doesn't happen and likely won't, a socio-economic revolution replacing the current one. I highly doubt America will remain the power that it is in the next 10-20 years and maybe won't even exist as a country in the next 50 years.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 22:09
hugo:

Such dire predictions in the previous several posts!  Hell, none of us has any control over these forces.  Forecasting the future of anything is a waste of drinking time, and all we have to go on with this is the relatively recent past.  People are adaptable; very severe circumstances have been encountered and overcome before, and it must be assumed they will be again.

So enjoy the beach, and...Cheers.  What else can any of us do?

Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 22:15
Cheers
Cheers
Cheers
Or more.
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 22:17
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

hugo:

Such dire predictions in the previous several posts!  Hell, none of us has any control over these forces.  Forecasting the future of anything is a waste of drinking time, and all we have to go on with this is the relatively recent past.  People are adaptable; very severe circumstances have been encountered and overcome before, and it must be assumed they will be again.

So enjoy the beach, and...CheersWhat else can any of us do?

I guess if human nature is anything to go by in times of paranoia, run around like a bunch of headless chicken (Or something like that...)

Have a safe & happy 4th Pikeshot! Cheers

Edited by Panther - 04-Jul-2008 at 22:23
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2008 at 12:29
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Leo: Most of what you say about the Aus economy I agree with, but don't think there is anything special in our situation. Skills shortages have nothing to do with the mining buisness. Everything from Pharmacy to Plumbing to Engineering has shortages, and there aren't that many people going to work on mines. I think it is really caused by a lack of manpower, combined with an aversion to hard work in popular culture. School leavers just aren't moving into these fields, and the existing workers are ageing quickly. Honestly I have no idea what everyone does in this country. On top of that if we actually wanted to solve the problem it could easily be done with better immigration and resettlement programs (like fast tracking skills recognition for migrants)
Your right, I was a little rushed in that comment. the skills shortage isn't just mining based, mining makes up very little of the overall employment in this country. Though the lack of mining talent has done one thing to mining, that other industries have not experienced to a great degree. Push up wages. This may change, hence why the RBA jacked up the rates to make sure it doesn't. They seem quite happy of late with the fall in growth, which may mean we wont have a shortage for that much longer. Small-medium business is declining in terms of debt use/need and sentiment. since they employ the most in this country i am suspect the 'bottle neck' of skills would ease some what. We still need basic labour either way - short term visas

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

If people with huge amounts of personal debt go bankrupt, honestly, I'm cheering. The biggest problem I think is overpricing, and that should solve that.
I am cheering and feeling quite vindicated, im a first home buyer sitting on a modest deposit (savings for a total of 4 years) and waited two years  for this moment when others told me i would miss out.  I also delayed any wedding plans, holiday's and purchasing of shares and investment funds (dodged that bullet) so i can self finance the entry point without using someone else house as a guarantee for any gap in the deposit.

The people hurting the most at this point in time, are those first home buyers that jumped in around that time 2 years ago on 5-10% deposits and are now experiencing softer house values and cant re-finance. Those guys I feel sorry for, those that did big renovations i don't.  The next lot that are coming into pain are the ones coming off 2-3 or 5 fixed rates. BTW many are not selling in Sydney house market, those that are are taking longer to sell and there seems to be a bit of a Mexican stand off going on, people cant except what they paid isnt what people are willing (more like able) to pay now.This is certainly so the case in commercial property give that a few more months to take a dive.

things are just returning to real normalcy and the last to jump on for that big up ride will hurt , as they do in every cycle.

Edited by Leonidas - 05-Jul-2008 at 12:30
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2008 at 14:07
I blame the economical throubles of the U.S. to a single factor: the rise of the economicists charlatans, and particularly to the "economy of services".

That great visionary and former B-movie actor, Ronald Reagan, said it very clearly:
In an "economy of services" people cut the hair each other" Confused

The U.S. lost its north when it shipped its manufacturing overseas. If instead of doing that had compited with robotization, perhaps the story would have been different.

The U.S. could recover if it start to invest in "REAL" economy, that gives employment to everyone rather than the selected few.

(1) The U.S. should manufacture more, locally, developing high tech/low price machinery that allows to produce just-in time, on demand and on-site.

(2)  It should switch to hydrogen to get rid of the dependence on oil.

(3) It should take back the lead in carrying loads into space and in developing space tourism.

(4) It should fight harder in developing new supersonic airplanes, to compite with Europe and even China in transport.

(5) It should develop its railroads systems, at least to the levels of France and Japan.

(6) It should stress education of locals, rather than of immigrant schollars.

Well, the U.S. has many things to do, but it appears the smart and couragious enterpreneurs of the past have been replaced by a race of speculators, rather than visionaries.

Pray Saint Ford and Saint Dupont, that changes soon enough.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2008 at 05:56
another threat to instability i made with passing mention earlier. Credit default swaps.  i was wrong it wasn't, 1 trillion dollars worth.

what are they?

The CDS is economically similar to credit insurance. The buyer of protection (typically a bank) transfers the risk of default of a borrower (the reference entity) to a protection seller who for a fee indemnifies the protection buyer against credit losses.
www.eurointelligence.com

thanks to the NYT

problem?

If the CDS contracts fail then "hedged" banks are exposed to losses on the underlying credit risk. Recently, one analyst suggested that losses from failure of CDS protection sellers to perform could total between US$33 billion and US$158 billion [Andrea Cicione "Counterparty Risk: A Growing Cause of Concern" (25 January 2008) Credit Portfolio Strategy - BNP Paribas Corporate & Investment Banking. This compares to the around US$110 billion that banks have written off to date. While it may be unlikely that the CDS market will fail entirely it is possible that losses on the hedges will add to the losses that the banks have already incurred.

The CDS market entails complex chains of risk. This is similar to the re-insurance chains that proved so problematic in the case of Lloyds. The CDS markets have certain similarities with the reinsurance markets. The CDS fees like the reinsurance premiums are received up front. In both cases the risks are both potentially significant and "long tail" – they do not emerge immediately and may take some time to be fully quantified. As in the re-insurance market, the long chain of CDS contracts may create unknown concentration risks. Defaults may quickly cause the financial system to become gridlocked as uncertainty about counterparty risks restricts normal trading.

Over the last year, securitisation and the CDO (collateralised debt obligation) market have become dysfunctional. As the credit crisis deepens, the risk of actual defaults becomes real. Analysts expect the level of defaults to increase. The CDS market is about to be tested. While there have been a few defaults, the market has not had to cope with a large number of defaults at the same time. CDS contracts may experience problems and may be found wanting.

CDS contracts may not actually improve the overall stability and security of the financial system but create additional risks. As John Kenneth Galbraith’s noted of the 1929 stock market crash: "The singular feature … was that the worst continued to worsen".

www.eurointelligence.com
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 18:38
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

hugo:

Such dire predictions in the previous several posts! Hell, none of us has any control over these forces. Forecasting the future of anything is a waste of drinking time, and all we have to go on with this is the relatively recent past. People are adaptable; very severe circumstances have been encountered and overcome before, and it must be assumed they will be again.

So enjoy the beach, and...Cheers. What else can any of us do?

Oh, sacred mother of God...

I was hoping against hope that you were going to outline why these forecasts wouldn't happen.

In light of your post,

and with it a little ancient poem appropriate for the times:

Tu ne quaesieris—scire nefas—quem mihi, quem tibi
finem di dederint, Leuconoë, nec Babylonios
temptaris numeros. ut melius, quicquid erit, pati!
seu plures hiemes, seu tribuit Iuppiter ultimam,
quae nunc oppositis debilitat pumicibus mare
Tyrhenum. Sapias, vina liques, et spatio brevi
spem longam reseces. dum loquimur, fugerit invida
aetas: carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.

With an old translation, for those who don't know Latin:

Ask not ('tis forbidden knowledge), what our destined term of years,
   Mine and yours; nor scan the tables of your Babylonish seers.
   Better far to bear the future, my Leuconoe, like the past,
   Whether Jove has many winters yet to give, or this our last;
   THIS, that makes the Tyrrhene billows spend their strength against
        the shore.
   Strain your wine and prove your wisdom; life is short; should hope
        be more?
   In the moment of our talking, envious time has ebb'd away.
   Seize the present; trust to-morrow e'en as little as you may.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 18:53
Leonidas,

One point and one question:

Point: You can do everything correctly, as you have planned to get your house, and if the market conditions are bad enough, it will affect you. Like it or not, the economy is a ship that everyone shares its fate, except for the really wealthy.

Question: What is a Mexican standoff?
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 19:15
hugo:

Sorry to disappoint.  Those chrystal balls have always seemed rather cloudy to me, and I am more comfortable financially with looking at the past (history major you know).

In the securities business, "He who utilizes a chrystal ball often winds up dining on crushed glass."

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 07-Jul-2008 at 19:16
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 20:46
The whole problem seems to be heading towards a global meltdown.
http://www.augustreview.com/news_commentary/global_banking/imminent_financial_crisis?_2008070394/

The only solution is to stock up on beer and beer nuts
Imminent Financial Crisis?

You won't see this repeated in U.S. media outlets, but Europe is running scared of an impending financial disaster.

Barclays Capital, the Royal Bank of Scotland and Fortis are pulling away from the U.S. financial markets. The withdrawal of funds from New York institutions has not been reported, but amounts to at least a mini-run on the banks involved, similar to what happened to Bear Stearns in March; the run may be expanding.

The only solution is to stock up on micro brew beer and peanuts (beer nuts)

These major financial institutions in Europe are predicting imminent, major economic and market meltdowns.

Fortis expects a complete collapse of the US financial markets within a few days to weeks. That explains, according to Fortis, the series of interventions of last Thursday to retrieve € 8 billion.

“We have been saved just in time. The situation in the US is much worse than we thought”, says Fortis chairman Maurice Lippens. Fortis expects bankruptcies amongst 6000 American banks which have a small coverage currently. But also Citigroup, General Motors, there is starting a complete meltdown in the US" [“Fortis made cash call in face of expected U.S. 'meltdown',” CNBC News [on-line], www.cnbc.com/id/25451427/for/cnbc, June 30, 2008.]

At the same time, the Royal Bank of Scotland headlined warnings of a global crash:

The Royal Bank of Scotland has advised clients to brace for a full-fledged crash in global stock and credit markets over the next three months as inflation paralyses the major central banks.

“A very nasty period is soon to be upon us - be prepared,” said Bob Janjuah, the bank’s credit strategist.

A report by the bank’s research team warns that the S&P 500 index of Wall Street equities is likely to fall by more than 300 points to around 1050 by September as “all the chickens come home to roost” from the excesses of the global boom, with contagion spreading across Europe and emerging markets.

“The Fed is in panic mode. The massive credibility chasms down which the Fed and maybe even the ECB will plummet when they fail to hike rates in the face of higher inflation will combine to give us a big sell-off in risky assets,” he said. [“RBS issues global stock and credit crash alert,” Telegraph, on-line edition, June 19, 2008.]

Lastly, Barclays Capital warned clients to "batten down the hatches for a worldwide financial storm":

"Barclays Capital has advised clients to batten down the hatches for a worldwide financial storm, warning that the US Federal Reserve has allowed the inflation genie out of the bottle and let its credibility fall “below zero”. [“Barclays warns of a financial storm as Federal Reserve's credibility crumbles,” Telegraph, on-line edition, June 28, 2008.]

On July 2, U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson's European speech was covered live on CSPAN. He gave considerable lip-service to what would happen if a number of U.S. banks were to fail, including even a major U.S. bank. No bank names were mentioned, but the fact that he brought it up indicates that the Europeans are very concerned about it.

Edited by eaglecap - 07-Jul-2008 at 20:47
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 20:51
Pike,

Oh, you don't disappoint. You never do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>